ADVERTISEMENT

Day 49 "The Team"

paward

Team Manager
Mar 3, 2003
We have no 49 on roster. Sorry had to spotlight this team.

2008football5.jpg

2008 NCAA Division I National Champion Football Team

Inducted in the Class of 2009-10

On December 19, 2008 in Chattanooga, Tenn. and in front of a national television audience, the University of Richmond football team secured the school's first-ever NCAA Division I National Championship, defeating Montana, 24-7. Standing at 4-3 after a gut-wrenching, last-second loss to arch-rival James Madison, the Spiders reeled off nine consecutive wins, including a playoff-clinching 23-20 overtime thriller against their oldest rival - William & Mary - in the last game of the regular season.

Richmond defeated four conference champions and the No. 2, 3 and 4 seeds en route to the title. After defeating Eastern Kentucky at home in the opening round, the Spiders ended Appalachian State's run of three straight championships with a convincing 33-13 victory. In the semifinals at Northern Iowa, the Spiders rallied from a 20-7 fourth quarter deficit, scoring the game-winning touchdown with :18 remaining on an Eric Ward to Joe Stewart pass.

Captain and future NFL draft pick defensive end Lawrence Sidbury turned in a dominating, MVP performance in the championship game with four sacks. The Spiders held Montana to 39 yards rushing while racking up 208 yards of their own on the ground, led by senior Josh Vaughan's 162 yards and a score. First-year head coach Mike London (UR '83) led the 13-3 Spiders to a school record for victories. Seniors Will Healy, Sherman Logan and John Crone joined Sidbury as team captains.

thanks paward...

best team...best times...best memories...long live the Champions!

I kind of liked that Greek Theater too...

Go Spiders!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT