ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley and the Lakers

I hate seeing good college coaches go to the NBA.
I get it. it's a ton of money and no more recruiting.
but Hurley feels like a college coach and I hope he stays there for the good of college basketball.
Some of us didn’t appreciate him when he was in our conference, man how time has changed!

MBuVNzumkdxLsjIrXM.gif

It's crazy how the narrative in my mind has changed in the course of a few years on the coaching abilities of Hurley. I thought he was a decent coach at URI - but that much of his success was the fact that he was recruiting at much higher level than rest of A10. Now, he seems to be excelling at all phases at Uconn - recruiting obviously, but team building. x and o's , game management and especially culture building.

But agree with sman, hoping he stays at Uconn, good for the college game. I think he is a great fit at Uconn. Honestly think if he leaves his wife could be a determining factor if she is lured by the beaches and glitter of Hollywood/LA. Storrs CT is the middle of nowhere - but only an hour from Boston.

And yes, he is quite annoying. Twice this year he told an opposing fan he would knock them out. I am sure they were using some nice taunting tactics but come on man. And no push back from anyone in Uconn admin that he shouldn't be telling opposing fans he will knock them out. Funny stuff.

if this happens there will be a mini portal shakeup because all of their players will be able to enter the portal since their coach left. Then if UCONN poaches another schools head coach those players will also be able to enter the portal and so forth.
This is funny, I thought of the first domino - but could be a chain reaction of movement. I am waiting to see if this is the season we have lawsuits to allow players to suit up at a new team mid season.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
btw ... I'm pretty certain he'll take the Lakers job. I read they didn't contact him earlier because they thought based on his comments he was never leaving UConn, but his people reached out to say he's interested. that could be a re-negotiating ploy, but I don't think so.

the Lakers going to offer something crazy, like 8 years at $15M per.
think he's making $6M now.

Kind of agree that the articles wording - and the fact that it is out there - seems to be an indication that he may very well be taking it. Did he get an extension/raise from the Kentucky interest? Not sure but feel like this has some legs.

This is funny, I thought of the first domino - but could be a chain reaction of movement. I am waiting to see if this is the season we have lawsuits to allow players to suit up at a new team mid season.

Uconn players disperse to whichever other teams still have cash to play with. Maybe they retain a few
School B coach is hired at Uconn and all his players follow him there
School C coach is hired at School B and all his players follow him there
∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞

I'm here for the craziness. Pretty late in the process to be hiring a high-level head coach, but UConn also doesn't have any assistants ready to step into that role. Would be interesting to see which way they went.

if I'm a UConn player who just won 2 championships and I'm already getting top shelf NIL money, I can't imagine there are many places I'd be interested in transferring to.

Living in Brentwood and paying all those Cal state taxes plus $7.30 a gallon for that Maybach among other toys including 2 live-ins ain’t gonna be cheap.$15m per year sounds about right with $75m guaranteed.No more NIL nonsense and visiting recruits in their living room and eating Mom’s apple pie and smiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman
I don’t know what appeals the lakers to go for Hurley. His intense coaching style is not gonna work with the personnel they have. I can’t imagine AD running the stairs at the crypto arena 😂 Plus not many college coaches succeed in the league. Brad Stevens by far the best and billy Donovan has been alright. Just really makes no sense to me. Money is obviously in play

I don’t know what appeals the lakers to go for Hurley. His intense coaching style is not gonna work with the personnel they have. I can’t imagine AD running the stairs at the crypto arena 😂 Plus not many college coaches succeed in the league. Brad Stevens by far the best and billy Donovan has been alright. Just really makes no sense to me. Money is obviously in play
He won 2 national championships in a row, it is really easy to figure out why they are interested.

He won 2 national championships in a row, it is really easy to figure out why they are interested.
Doesn’t transition at all in the nba. Why do you think coach k didn’t take the lakers job when offered? Cause his philosophy wouldn’t work and I don’t think it takes a genius to see that

I think the Lakers see him as a Spoelstra or Brad Stevens type culture/program builder whose philosophy will permeate the organization. I didn't think he would do as well as he did at Uconn, because he recruited at such a high level at URI compared to the A10- but was way off. I am still leaning to he takes the Lakers job, but think with him heading back east first it's more of a toss up now.

Reactions: VT4700
Keep in mind that Coach K had coached the best pros in the Olympics and other international competition with great success, so he knew what it would take to survive in the NBA. He used a completely different style with the pros, but my guess is that he enjoyed the challenge coaching college kids and molding them into a team. Also, money was obviously secondary. He was well paid at Duke.

Excellent point about Coach Beilein. Never should have left the college game. Found out the hard way that the style necessary to work in the pros is a world away from college.

I don't see LeBron and Hurley's style matching one another. Everyone knows LeBron is basically the coach/GM of whatever team he is on, that is why the Lakers have hired "yes" men to be their coaches. Hurley is the exact opposite of that.

The Lakers issues are not coaching though it is personnel. They have an aging but still great LeBron, AD is great "when healthy" and then the rest of the roster is pretty terrible. Austin Reaves is a nice player, but their bench is terrible, Deangelo Russell is a not a great PG.

You could have Red Aurebach as their coach and they are still going to get bounced in the first round until they reform the roster.

Now, I could see Hurley working on a young roster like the Pelicans or Grizzlies, teams with a lot of young talent but need a better culture. Not the Lakers though.

This is good for college hoops. I used to hate Hurley do his sideline antics and inability to control his emotions, but have come to admire him at Uconn. I think he has grown as a person, he's been public about some of his struggles, and he is obviously a hell of a coach that runs a great program that is the gold standard right now in college hoops.

That would have put in the top 7 coaches pay in the NBA--how is that light? Or was that tongue in cheek?
we were told the Lakers were putting together some "massive" offer.
this is $11.7M per.
Kerr makes $17.5M per.
Pop makes $16M.
Spoelstra $15M

Monty Williams supposedly makes $13M.

I know the top 3 have won NBA championships. Hurley has 2 consecutive college national championships, which is arguably tougher.

sure there's risk, but if you want the best you pay him like the best. you're the Lakers. who do they fall back to now? I think 6 for $90M would be appropriate ... if the Lakers really think he's the guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT