ADVERTISEMENT

Da Funk and Da Noyes?!?

Golden - not going to look up game by game - but he seemed to come out shooting 3's confidently - AND making them, early in the season. At some point, he lost his confidence and started not taking them.
Yep, he was 44% from three in OOC play, averaging 2.7 attempts per game. In the remainder of the season, he shot 15% while averaging 1.9 attempts.

To be fair, Goose was usually the fourth or fifth option on offense when he was on the court. I'm sure he would be able to step it up, though I still don't see him being a 15 points-a-night guy.
Agree with all of that. I think if Goose comes back, he likely starts, at least early in the season. Best case is he improves his 3 point shooting to around 35%, shoots more of them, and can give us about 10 points a game to go with his really good defense. If he is back and does not start, that probably means we got a really good transfer in here who can light it up from outside. Also, hopefully Dji, Randolph, or Dread can knock some down when they get in there, but just hard to guess how many minutes they are looking at right now. Dji might back up Nelson, so he could certainly get some minutes there, as well as at the off guard spot. If Goose continues at a 30%ish rate from 3, the next best thing would be for Nelson to show he can hit the 3. If this happens, even without Goose consistently hitting them, we will likely be a much better shooting team from 3 than last year because Nelson would match Jacob's percentage, Grace would be better from outside than Grant, and whoever takes Nate's place (Noyes? Transfer?) would provide a better outside option than Nate, since Nate never took 3s.

if we have a lineup with Goose at the 3 and Grace at the 5, I feel like we're asking Burton to pull down 15 rpg.

I love Goose, but he got a lot of open shots towards the end of the season that he just didn't hit - we need to get some scoring out of the guard position. His defense is huge, so the coach will just have to figure that out. But he could play the 3 and then Burton gets bumped to the 4 - which isn't how he's been deployed thus far.
Ever hear of the word “practice”? I think he can be a better scorer than you’re suggesting. He has good ball handling, moves around the basket and shooting form — we just need to see the ball drop more. I think he can do it if given the opportunity.

Reactions: GKiller
Ever hear of the word “practice”? I think he can be a better scorer than you’re suggesting. He has good ball handling, moves around the basket and shooting form — we just need to see the ball drop more. I think he can do it if given the opportunity.
practice? we talking about practice?
I hope he's been practicing for 4 years. we can hope Matt and Goose and Connor shoot a higher percentage but hope isn't a strategy.

that's about all the cliches I have today.

I don't think its realistic to expect a player who has been here for 4 years and is a below 30% 3 point shooter to all of a sudden become a great shooter - which is probably what our offense needs the most.

I disagree. 1 real bad year skews that. Goose was 34%, 32% and 31% other 3. And it's relatively small sample. It doesn't take too many makes to be 35%. i'm not saying he'll make giant leap but the #'s say 35% is quite reasonable. Hope so we'll see. Look at Andrew Funk stats, one of the "shooters" we r looking at. He shot 30% and 27% 2 years in a row w high volume. Then last year improved to 36%. It can be done, and it can be done easier based on smaller sample imo.

now I don't know if it will be done but we'll see I guess.

But I find odd some on here (not u UR2K u r just my reply overall) think Goose will play a smaller role. Maybe I shouldn't bc lot of posters didn't value his role in past. He was the unsung key to past season and 19-20. Like D Garrett was our S16 season. With Goose we flowed so much better both sides when he got the run. I think his role would be larger. Similar minutes perhaps but larger role offensively. Like Long Island I see the capability. Little flat on jumper but the mechanics r pretty good, and look at FTs too which is usually a good barometer. Of course he needs help around him but he should get that. Could see as 3-4th leading scorer. I've said b4 but I actually want the ball in his hands more, to be more aggressive & maybe he will now with the seniors gone. If not still best defender BY FAR.

Goose’s flat arc gives him very little room for error and will never get a favorable bounce. My hunch is that we have no shooters on the staff that can teach these kids. Whoever taught and let Cayo shoot free throws like that should have been fired on the spot.

Good points killer. If Goose can shoot 35 from 3, does many other things well. And most importantly we won when he is on the court. Really think Stephen's from VMI would help with shooting. Maybe between Dji, Randolph, and Noyes it's not he issue it seems now.

Half of Quinn's likes on Twitter in the last few weeks have been from UR-related tweets. Seems like he's our first choice, ahead of Stephens. I'd take either but it seems Stephens might be a better player.

Noah teasing something big, but can’t tell whether it’s just the visits, more than that, or something else entirely.

Reactions: plydogg
Goose’s flat arc gives him very little room for error and will never get a favorable bounce. My hunch is that we have no shooters on the staff that can teach these kids. Whoever taught and let Cayo shoot free throws like that should have been fired on the spot.
I'm terrified to admit this because it's ruining an unblemished record of disagreeing with K, but I agree with K's assessment of Goose's shooting form.

But I find odd some on here (not u UR2K u r just my reply overall) think Goose will play a smaller role. Maybe I shouldn't bc lot of posters didn't value his role in past. He was the unsung key to past season and 19-20. Like D Garrett was our S16 season. With Goose we flowed so much better both sides when he got the run. I think his role would be larger. Similar minutes perhaps but larger role offensively.
we were definitely better with Goose on the floor. he was our best option at the 2. and that's not a good thing. on a strong team he'd be coming off the bench. the starting SG playing 24 mpg shouldn't score 4 ppg. his defense is good but some here think he's Gary Payton. he's not. he does get beat.

as it stands now he's our starting 2. we either need a good transfer or improvement from someone on the roster to bump him. we'll be better if either happens.

Said this in the other thread. Goose starting worked on this year's team because we had a lot of offensive firepower but really needed defense, which Goose provided. We lost a lot of our offensive firepower to graduation and so next year's team may need a two guard who can score more effectively than Goose has.

Whether he starts or not, Goose is still going to play a major role on this team. Put I see Goose as a really effective 6th man for us next year.

we were definitely better with Goose on the floor. he was our best option at the 2. and that's not a good thing. on a strong team he'd be coming off the bench. the starting SG playing 24 mpg shouldn't score 4 ppg. his defense is good but some here think he's Gary Payton. he's not. he does get beat.

as it stands now he's our starting 2. we either need a good transfer or improvement from someone on the roster to bump him. we'll be better if either happens.

We no doubt struggled way more than we should have for most of year but I'd say we ended up a strong team by the end, beating VCU, Dayton, Davidson and Iowa in a row. And Goose started. But I'll let you characterize that sman, were we a strong team?

And he's our Gary Payton.

We no doubt struggled way more than we should have for most of year but I'd say we ended up a strong team by the end, beating VCU, Dayton, Davidson and Iowa in a row. And Goose started. But I'll let you characterize that sman, were we a strong team?

And he's our Gary Payton.
yes, we were a strong team. I'll rephrase. he can be a starter on a strong team with the right guys around him. like if that team has two 2,000 point scorers and two 1,000 point scorers. that's probably not next year's team. I don't think we have the luxury of starting a 4.5 ppg defense-first SG with an unproven PG, a second forward who hasn't scored, and Grace at the 5.

maybe with the right transfers.

wasn't there this the discussion last offseason about Goose not starting? And then when he came back from injury, wasn't the team much better for it? I don't see any way he doesn't start. He should get 8 ppg because he won't have to defer to the 6000 career points around him. He has the ability to turn the corner off the dribble, he finishes on backdoors and cuts. His 3 point volume was so low I'd think we are looking at random noise in that stat...like if he'd made 3 more threes over the entire season we'd be fine with him 36% 3pt percentage, right?

Burton is offense option 1. Options 2-10 are wide open for the taking. I'd say a returning starter has a clear leg up in this race to start, especially when Moon loves his defense, ability to be a 2nd ballhandler and understanding of the UR offense and defense. His defense on Jimerson alone in that 2nd half at home should get him the respect from this board.

Goose's primary job this year was not to be a big scorer, that is a long way from saying he can't score consistently. Definitely a starter to my mind. Maybe someone unseats him like Wilson this year, but definitely a starter at beginning of season.

yes, we were a strong team. I'll rephrase. he can be a starter on a strong team with the right guys around him. like if that team has two 2,000 point scorers and two 1,000 point scorers. that's probably not next year's team. I don't think we have the luxury of starting a 4.5 ppg defense-first SG with an unproven PG, a second forward who hasn't scored, and Grace at the 5.

maybe with the right transfers.

I'll rephrase...i.e. I'll contradict myself in back to back posts.

wasn't there this the discussion last offseason about Goose not starting? And then when he came back from injury, wasn't the team much better for it? I don't see any way he doesn't start. He should get 8 ppg because he won't have to defer to the 6000 career points around him. He has the ability to turn the corner off the dribble, he finishes on backdoors and cuts. His 3 point volume was so low I'd think we are looking at random noise in that stat...like if he'd made 3 more threes over the entire season we'd be fine with him 36% 3pt percentage, right?

Burton is offense option 1. Options 2-10 are wide open for the taking. I'd say a returning starter has a clear leg up in this race to start, especially when Moon loves his defense, ability to be a 2nd ballhandler and understanding of the UR offense and defense. His defense on Jimerson alone in that 2nd half at home should get him the respect from this board.

^This.

If Brooklyn knows Pig Beach he's getting a beer too.

Any more news out there on Funk? He’s an established player in own right & I still think he’s our guy due to visit w Quinn & the JOC nugget.

Next up. As the Brothers Johnson said in their song, "Get the Funk out of my face,"

On you coach. Snag someone who makes us better as a team.

Will be interesting to follow Funk a bit at Penn State. I'm happy about bam bigelow but I'm not sure why this board didn't seem to be high on the Funk. We aren't going to get a 5 tool guy, Funk had maybe a worry or two but so will Bigelow. It may have come down to 2 years vs 1, if it was our choice to even make between them we may never know. But you can't ignore the production of Funk, and 17.6 pts & 36.3 last year is really really good I don't care if Patriot League.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT