ADVERTISEMENT

Da Funk and Da Noyes?!?

Such ambiguous wording from our guy JOC...haven't seen Funk publicly mention anyone who has reached out so far. Guess some guys will list off 20+ schools and other guys stay quiet until they commit.

Such ambiguous wording from our guy JOC...haven't seen Funk publicly mention anyone who has reached out so far. Guess some guys will list off 20+ schools and other guys stay quiet until they commit.
Funk is in the portal, but yeah it was a weird tweet. We are interested in lots of guys in the portal, odd the JOC singles out Funk as the one to tweet about. Unless, there is some news about to drop that he has some advanced scoop on.

Reactions: Zeeter
I thought this thread was going to have a different Funk...

And I'm waiting for that Bucknell to Richmond pipeline to become a gusher Wednesday next week when Mooney announces Jay Wright to replace Hovde...

Yes, definitely seems like he has spoke with the staff and they are working this hard. Probably just tweeted this out on their behalf to make sure spider23, 97, 4700, gkiller, sman and the board are all OK with it first :):):).

What do we think?? I was not able to watch much of the Bucknell game.
He was 0-4 in 33 minutes, but that was during his 2-18 slump 38.25% outside of that.
Plus national ranked in most assists and least turnovers, I'm sure our coaching staff likes that.

Funk is in the portal, but yeah it was a weird tweet. We are interested in lots of guys in the portal, odd the JOC singles out Funk as the one to tweet about. Unless, there is some news about to drop that he has some advanced scoop on.

the purposely ambiguous tweet is a JOC staple. We’ve seen this so many times. & I’d say he usually hits on it. His attention is on this for a reason. To me that puts Funk in near mortal lock territory.

Funk is from same hs as Randolph. Tho doubt they played together too far apart. Mooney out of that Philly catholic league too but he doesn’t pull too many from there specifically.

Funk is a high level offensive player. one of his few bad offensive games was against us. but he can score. and we have a need for a scorer with the current roster.

Tend to agree with gkiller here, the fact that JOC is actually tweeting about this indicates imminency. Agree with sman this is a need, but was hoping for an even better three point shooter, or more dynamic/high level player. If this comes to fruition, I would think we are done with guards - for the portal anyway.

Reactions: Eight Legger
For sure...not a done deal, but close to it based on this style of JOC tweet.

I like it. He would start on our team and it is not reasonable for us to expect to land a guard much better than this one. Getting him quickly could make it an easier sell for a transfer PF/C as our team becomes stronger but still has a hole in that spot. And his 0 offensive rebounds on the year would fit very well within Mooney's system.

I like it. He would start on our team and it is not reasonable for us to expect to land a guard much better than this one. Getting him quickly could make it an easier sell for a transfer PF/C as our team becomes stronger but still has a hole in that spot. And his 0 offensive rebounds on the year would fit very well within Mooney's system.
Lol, that is impressive to get no offensive rebounds in an entire season. You'd think one would randomly bounce his way at some point.

Reactions: SpiderK
Tend to agree with gkiller here, the fact that JOC is actually tweeting about this indicates imminency. Agree with sman this is a need, but was hoping for an even better three point shooter, or more dynamic/high level player. If this comes to fruition, I would think we are done with guards - for the portal anyway.
What would Mike Jones be when he gets here?

Lol, that is impressive to get no offensive rebounds in an entire season. You'd think one would randomly bounce his way at some point.

That is quite the anomaly and possibly ncaa record for most minutes without one, if you want to look at it positively. Also Bucknell is even worse than us in offensive rebounds per game & offensive rebounding percentage.

At least Funk was a pretty solid defensive rebounder for a guard.

Now that's a guy I'd like to see here.

Sure but there's no way Jones is coming here or any other A10 school imo. The A10 intra conference sit out rule is gone now too but he wouldn't do that to Davidson.

I saw one rating system that has Jones as one of about 15 5-star transfers out of all the guys who have entered the portal so far. So he's going P5 somewhere.

Reactions: GKiller and plydogg
Sure but there's no way Jones is coming here or any other A10 school imo. The A10 intra conference sit out rule is gone now too but he wouldn't do that to Davidson.
True, but that astronomy thing keeps me wishing as I look up at the stars in the sky over the Robins Center.

Reactions: GKiller
Agree with sman this is a need, but was hoping for an even better three point shooter, or more dynamic/high level player.
If UR has to win A10 and a first round NCAA game to get a one year transfer from Bucknell, it doesn’t bode well for the future in my opinion. Meh.

Reactions: wr70beh
Was not super high on Funk at first, but definitely fits the need and would seem to be someone who could be plugged in immediately and fit and produce. All academic, good positional size, good shooter.

I wonder how Mooney is managing the Goose dynamic in regards to Funk? Has already said he wants him back. He was the starting 2 guard on an NCAA team. Could be Funk is prioritizing MBA equal to basketball opportunity and doesn't need promises that other transfer recruits are looking for? No idea, just speculation obviously.

In a perfect world, a transfer 2 like this comes in and gives us 20 minutes of scoring, Goose and Dji combine for 40 minutes of defense and some slashing, and Crabtree and Randolph fill the other 20 with threes and whatever else. That takes care of the 2 and 3.

Goose is very valuable on D, but we could hide him offensively better when we had a bunch of other scorers. I think he has to take a slightly smaller role next year to allow for more scoring options. Whether Mooney will do that or not, who knows.

Reactions: spiderman
In a perfect world, a transfer 2 like this comes in and gives us 20 minutes of scoring, Goose and Dji combine for 40 minutes of defense and some slashing, and Crabtree and Randolph fill the other 20 with threes and whatever else. That takes care of the 2 and 3.

Goose is very valuable on D, but we could hide him offensively better when we had a bunch of other scorers. I think he has to take a slightly smaller role next year to allow for more scoring options. Whether Mooney will do that or not, who knows.
Could we slide Goose over to the 3 and bring a high scoring two guard like Funk?

Could we slide Goose over to the 3 and bring a high scoring two guard like Funk?
if Goose is starting at the 3 then we didn't do as well in the transfer portal as I hope.

Goose is a solid defensive player and a high effort guy and I want him to come back. but offensively he's a 4.5 ppg guy in 24 mpg. it's not ideal if he's starting next year without the offensive firepower we had around him last season.

I hope he's a guy coming off the bench. but best guys play and if it's him then it's him.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
To be fair, Goose was usually the fourth or fifth option on offense when he was on the court. I'm sure he would be able to step it up, though I still don't see him being a 15 points-a-night guy.

I love Goose, but he got a lot of open shots towards the end of the season that he just didn't hit - we need to get some scoring out of the guard position. His defense is huge, so the coach will just have to figure that out. But he could play the 3 and then Burton gets bumped to the 4 - which isn't how he's been deployed thus far.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
if we have a lineup with Goose at the 3 and Grace at the 5, I feel like we're asking Burton to pull down 15 rpg.

Golden - not going to look up game by game - but he seemed to come out shooting 3's confidently - AND making them, early in the season. At some point, he lost his confidence and started not taking them. This was a hit on our offense - now we had Cayo and Golden not requiring to be guarded 15+ feet from the basket. I think Stephens from VMI could give us that option and really stretch the floor for us.

Goose - According to Bob Black he is a great practice shooter. He has had some good stretches in games, but after 4 years tend to agrees with sman that we can't count on him to be a consistent 3 shooter for us next year. Does so many other things well, that is OK. But, we need someone who can do this next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT