ADVERTISEMENT

Collin Tanner - 2023 Signee

I like seeing these sources saying he should have had better offers, because his offer list wasn't super strong with only Bona on our level among his top 7. The question remains why he didn't get the better offers though.

Still like what I've seen and his stats, though I know my limits and try to keep from evaluating guys too much based on highlights.

I like seeing these sources saying he should have had better offers, because his offer list wasn't super strong with only Bona on our level among his top 7. The question remains why he didn't get the better offers though.

Still like what I've seen and his stats, though I know my limits and try to keep from evaluating guys too much based on highlights.
Big time programs are just not forgetting about 6'6 guys who can shoot. There is a reason he didn't have any better offers than he did. I hope he is all that and a cup a tea but his offer list is not that impressive. We were the best offer he had, so kind of obvious why we won this sweepstakes.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Big time programs are just not forgetting about 6'6 guys who can shoot. There is a reason he didn't have any better offers than he did. I hope he is all that and a cup a tea but his offer list is not that impressive. We were the best offer he had, so kind of obvious why we won this sweepstakes.
I don't think it's that easy. big time programs didn't offer Tyler Burton either and he's got a legit shot at playing professionally. I think a lot of programs now wish they offered Tyler.

Collin's a priority target that we landed.

Reactions: VT4700
I don't think it's that easy. big time programs didn't offer Tyler Burton either and he's got a legit shot at playing professionally. I think a lot of programs now wish they offered Tyler.

Collin's a priority target that we landed.
I'm not saying he won't be good. Just saying there was a reason he wasn't offered by bigger programs. For every Tyler, we hit on, we have 4-5 Diekvoss and Kovien's. I hope he is a star for us. HIs offer list gives me pause though.

Reactions: plydogg
The Bona offer reassures me some...more with less, after all.

Dominaus had no other offers as I recall. Diekvoss had only Northern Kentucky, and they were still transitioning to D-I at the time I believe. Tanner's recruiting profile is a heck of a lot better than those guys.

I'm not saying he won't be good. Just saying there was a reason he wasn't offered by bigger programs. For every Tyler, we hit on, we have 4-5 Diekvoss and Kovien's. I hope he is a star for us. HIs offer list gives me pause though.
guess I'm asking what was the reason bigger programs didn't offer Tyler? he's super athletic, a great shooter, 6'7" and well built.
I can't explain it. seemed to have everything a higher major would want. not a finished product, but had the pieces to work with. yet none of the bigger programs gave him a shot.

Collin's list is a lot like Grant's. not at all like Diekvoss or Kovien's. hope we found another 2,000 point scorer.

The Bona offer reassures me some...more with less, after all.

Dominaus had no other offers as I recall. Diekvoss had only Northern Kentucky, and they were still transitioning to D-I at the time I believe. Tanner's recruiting profile is a heck of a lot better than those guys.
I was drawing blanks on names on some of Mooney's recruiting misses. Smithen, Friendshuh, Sal, Schneider are all guys that had some nice lower level offers (Sal had a couple BCS offers) as well.

I agree, Schmidt offering him, makes me feel a bit better and his other offers are not dumpster mid major programs either, so that is good.

But solid pick-up that has the potential to be a really good player. It's not like he is AJ Ford, Diekvoss and a couple other notable Mooney roster fillers who you knew would stink the moment they signed.

Just providing some balance and critique.

Reactions: spiderman
I have read plenty articles that Providence offered and actively was recruiting Burton out of high school.

Nope, Providence didn't want him.

And 6-foot-7 Tyler Burton, two inches taller than his father, considered Providence before he chose Richmond. Burton said as a junior in high school he met with Providence coach Ed Cooley.

“He told me he didn’t really believe [Providence] was the right spot for me,” said Burton. “So, just personally, thinking about it, it’s definitely a chance to shine right here.”

Quinton Burton said he believes Cooley’s message was based on the players who were in the Friars program at the time, and the players from whom Providence had already received commitments.

“He told me he didn’t really believe [Providence] was the right spot for me,” said Burton.

EZ8dObcWAAMOivQ.jpg

Bottom line is you will get some right and you will get some wrong. With a lot of these guys, you hope they are the right fit, but you might not know till they get here. There is also work ethic, and wanting to be the best player you can be after you get here. Not every guy will have that, and it is not always easy to predict that. NBA and NFL GMs miss on guys they have seen 3 or 4 years of college tape on, so it is certainly understandable for college coaches to miss on some high school recruits.

I agree, Schmidt offering him, makes me feel a bit better and his other offers are not dumpster mid major programs either, so that is good.

Just providing some balance and critique.

It is interesting in this day and age when it feels like a lot of times kids will include a really big name school or two in their "FINAL 11" graphic but do they truly have a committable offer on the table from them? Kind of odd that he didn't even have one of those in the mix not even from a low level P5 in name only type school. It is what it is, happy to have him as a Spider either way.

I would think a kid including a fake offer on their final list is very rare, if it happens at all.

Nope, Providence didn't want him.

ok, I was doing a google search on this, first article I find said "The Friars were heavily involved in recruiting Tyler Burton coming out of high school". Guess I need to read the fine print, they pulled the rug on him apparently.

Seems to be a decent number of recruiting/evaluating folks who think highly of Tanner...

Reactions: plydogg
Right, I remember talking to a guy I played with in 30+ hoops league, and his experience was similar to the PG that played for Beilein, Myers maybe? I remember an article in which he talked about contingent offers. Basically, you have an offer from school X, but they are waiting on players A, B, C, and D - if those fall through we want you. Guy in my 30+ league played D2 - he had some low level D1 offers - but he said he was always 5th or 6th down the list.

Of course with the portal and evolving recruiting game it is probably much different - but yes I am sure guys list schools that have gave them a contingent offer of some sort - but not actionable at this minute.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Really like this pick up of Tanner. The write ups from the scouts jive with what I see - quick release, decisive with the ball, good feel for the game and how/when to attack. If he was posterizing guys at the rim, we probably would have been in a battle with the P6 schools instead. Really solid start to this class.

I think you take and fill the class with h.s. guys if you can and you like them, use the portal when needed - but I would be good with us getting Reed and one more of the wings we are after.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
guess I'm asking what was the reason bigger programs didn't offer Tyler? he's super athletic, a great shooter, 6'7" and well built.
I can't explain it. seemed to have everything a higher major would want. not a finished product, but had the pieces to work with. yet none of the bigger programs gave him a shot.

Collin's list is a lot like Grant's. not at all like Diekvoss or Kovien's. hope we found another 2,000 point scorer.
Although his game is different, I was wondering how Tanner's list compared to Cayo's.
If I am remembering correctly, the lists were comparable...

Right, I remember talking to a guy I played with in 30+ hoops league, and his experience was similar to the PG that played for Beilein, Myers maybe? I remember an article in which he talked about contingent offers. Basically, you have an offer from school X, but they are waiting on players A, B, C, and D - if those fall through we want you. Guy in my 30+ league played D2 - he had some low level D1 offers - but he said he was always 5th or 6th down the list.

Of course with the portal and evolving recruiting game it is probably much different - but yes I am sure guys list schools that have gave them a contingent offer of some sort - but not actionable at this minute.
I always thought those were misunderstandings. a real offer is actionable.
that's like "I want you hire you ... if Ted doesn't accept my offer". that's not a job offer.

anyway ... 8 surmised that kids were putting those kid of "offers" on their final list. I've never heard of that. I assume that's just a theory?

I always thought those were misunderstandings. a real offer is actionable.
that's like "I want you hire you ... if Ted doesn't accept my offer". that's not a job offer.

anyway ... 8 surmised that kids were putting those kid of "offers" on their final list. I've never heard of that. I assume that's just a theory?
Yep, that's not an offer. Not even close, and it would certainly backfire on kids if they starting putting offers that were not 100% out there as fact. If I told a guy he was not our #1 priority, and we would have to wait to see how things played out, and he put out there I offered him, I would have to set the record straight because I wouldn't want that affecting any other offers I was considering making. Sometimes, you just have to laugh at what you hear on here.

Almost every offer is contingent on something, even if it's just contingent upon the guy grabbing the slot before anyone else does. You're always going to put out more serious offers than you have slots because you're very unlikely to bat 100% and if you wait for a guy to decide and he goes elsewhere, you're too far behind on a Plan B.

But yes, the tricky part comes when Plan B guy wants to commit but you'd really prefer Plan A guy for obvious reasons and he hasn't decided. Our interchangeable pieces help some in that regard, as outside of a PG and a C, you can be pretty flexible about taking multiple "best available" guys and be able to recruit like 4–5 interchangeable guys for 2–3 spots. Then it only comes to crunch time when you're down to your last slot.

Reactions: spiderman
Almost every offer is contingent on something, even if it's just contingent upon the guy grabbing the slot before anyone else does. You're always going to put out more serious offers than you have slots because you're very unlikely to bat 100% and if you wait for a guy to decide and he goes elsewhere, you're too far behind on a Plan B.

But yes, the tricky part comes when Plan B guy wants to commit but you'd really prefer Plan A guy for obvious reasons and he hasn't decided. Our interchangeable pieces help some in that regard, as outside of a PG and a C, you can be pretty flexible about taking multiple "best available" guys and be able to recruit like 4–5 interchangeable guys for 2–3 spots. Then it only comes to crunch time when you're down to your last slot.
^ this is my understanding.

every real offer made is actionable. we only offer guys we want. yes, we want some more than others. but if we offer Tanner, Durkin and Ball ... we'd be really happy with each of them and we'd accept their commitment on the spot. we'll also be very upfront with them. "we're looking for one (or two) wings in this class. you're the first we're offering. if you want it now we're done. if you want to wait, we totally understand. but please understand that we'll be extending other offers for that spot and the 1st one that commits gets it."

Reactions: Eight Legger
I could not find the article, but clearly remember Jeff Myers talking about contingent offers - i.e. you have the slot if player A,B,C don't come. That is not actionable. Basically was the gist that was how he came to Richmond, had to wait for other guys to fall through.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I could not find the article, but clearly remember Jeff Myers talking about contingent offers - i.e. you have the slot if player A,B,C don't come. That is not actionable. Basically was the gist that was how he came to Richmond, had to wait for other guys to fall through.
yeah, but you thought Providence wanted Burton. ;)

yeah, but you thought Providence wanted Burton. ;)
Well in my defense:

College basketball: PC's Reeves, Burton have ties to same ...​

https://www.thewesterlysun.com › sports › latest-sports › c...

Mar 18, 2022 — The Friars were heavily involved in recruiting Tyler Burton coming out of high school. The Uxbridge native who attended Connecticut's ...

I guess involved is kind of like Bill Clinton's version of things differing from the PC coach or something. Was hoping SF could pull the article I talked about.

ADVERTISEMENT