ADVERTISEMENT

College of Charleston Game Thread 11/14/2022

Why is the guy who was wrong all pre season telling the guy who got it right to watch more basketball?
VT, the idea that you don’t think Dji should be in the conversation to take minutes from goose shows you either (1) don’t know what you are talking about and should watch more basketball, or (2) would rather continue your weird obsession with Spiderdad as somehow putting his son down makes you feel better.

I still think Dji is best suited to back up Nelson, and should not even be part of any discussion to take time from Goose. Just not enough offense and too careless with the ball to justify this.

I found the second part of that sentence to be even more outstanding. So, you think Dji is too careless with the ball BUT you want him to be our back up PG, the position that does the bulk of the ballhanding. Hmm, ok.

Dji can play some point, but lets be real, Nelson is really good and he fits Mooney's PG style to a T. Dji does not. We have never had a tall lanky PG with Mooney. Maybe he gets some back-up minutes there, what little there will be cause Nelson is gonna get a lot of minutes. Dji's playing style and athletic stature makes him for of a natural 2 or 3 in our system.
Yes, I want him to 100% focus on being a back up PG, and I think he will have fewer turnovers as a result. That is his position. I would rather not put Goose at back up PG unless we had to. Dji can handle the ball, and he is not an off guard. Never was. I have seen 228 minutes from him, and none tell me he is an off guard. Some of his turnovers have been because he is playing like an off guard, trying to do too much. This combo guard talk is nonsense. He should back up Nelson, whether it is 0 minutes if Nelson plays 40 or 5-10 minutes to give Nelson a break.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SpiderDad75
VT, the idea that you don’t think Dji should be in the conversation to take minutes from goose shows you either (1) don’t know what you are talking about and should watch more basketball, or (2) would rather continue your weird obsession with Spiderdad as somehow putting his son down makes you feel better.
Here we go again with the SDad talk. As if we are not allowed to have any opinions because a player's Dad is on here. I mentioned Sal earlier because there were a lot of differing opinions on Sal. Some wanted him to have more time, others did not. I mentioned he should redshirt one year because I didn't see him cracking the rotation. people disagreed, but, we always had acceptable back and forth discussions on this. No one accused me or anyone of having an agenda, and no one ever attacked anyone for their opinion about Sal. Yet, with Dji, we can't have certain opinions? We must always be positive? We must say things even if we don't believe them? Sorry, that's not me. And, it shouldn't be anyone on here.

Why is the guy who was wrong all pre season telling the guy who got it right to watch more basketball?
Ohhhh you were the guy hiding in the rafters watching practice to see what went on...and I'll tell you the same thing...watch more basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Ohhhh you were the guy hiding in the rafters watching practice to see what went on...and I'll tell you the same thing...watch more basketball.
LOL. So, who cares if you got it wrong all pre season, right? You think you know so much more than some of us. Telling us to watch more basketball. I have watched plenty thank you, and that is why I had my opinions this off season and stand by them.

Who is saying you can't have your opinion on Dji? Seemed like yall were having a fairly respectful back and forth but I don't remember that part.
I was responding to Long Island saying putting Dji down would make me feel better. What the heck? I want nothing but success for Dji. I want success for all Spiders.

Is it just me, or are there a lot of posters who are certain of things? (101% committed?)

I try to take more of the Socrates approach "I know only one thing, that I know nothing".

This happened and will always happen, this didn't happen and will never happen...
Aren't most sports a bunch of probabilities and not certainties?

Well, should we pay you to think? You said the PG spot was wide open, with no obvious starter, and we were probably looking at a 20/20 split. You said we would see Nelson and Dji on the floor a lot together. You said Dji was running with the 1s a lot. It is what it is. And, being a D1 back up PG is pretty impressive, so I am not criticizing, only responding to the "should get more time" talk, which I continue to disagree with. People on here wanted more time for Sal, until they didn't. The only difference was Sal's dad wasn't on the board influencing opinions.
Dude if you weren't there and were not seeing practice and not talking to the coaches then you don't have an argument or the knowledge...take the L on that. I repeated what I was seeing and from talking/hearing from the staff. Not once did I say anything was set in stone if fact I believe I did say I didn't know who would start a little later and even said I thought JayNel would as we got closer. Not influencing anyone...because some agree with me thats your own take.

Is it just me, or are there a lot of posters who are certain of things? (101% committed?)

I try to take more of the Socrates approach "I know only one thing, that I know nothing".

This happened and will always happen, this didn't happen and will never happen...
Aren't most sports a bunch of probabilities and not certainties?
Yes. Which is why I say "I think" a lot instead of posting things as fact. But, I learned today no one pays me to think. That stinks. I thought they did.

Dude if you weren't there and were not seeing practice and not talking to the coaches then you don't have an argument or the knowledge...take the L on that. I repeated what I was seeing and from talking/hearing from the staff. Not once did I say anything was set in stone if fact I believe I did say I didn't know who would start a little later and even said I thought JayNel would as we got closer. Not influencing anyone...because some agree with me thats your own take.
This is hilarious. The first 3 games have proven you wrong and me right, but you tell me to take the L? 41 minutes. 6 minutes. You are something else. Beyond comical.

Let me just put this out there. In my opinion, my order at big is Quinn, Grace, and Walz. Or Grace, Quinn, and Walz if you want to go that way. Doesn't mean I don't like Walz. Doesn't mean I'm criticizing Walz. I just don't think he needs to get minutes in place of Quinn or Grace right now. At off guard, I like Goose, Roche, and then Randolph. I like Dji. I am pulling for Dji. I just don't think he needs to get minutes over the 3 I mentioned right now. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. Just my opinion. If you disagree, fine, but I don't understand why this would be such a controversial opinion. Well, I guess I do.

I'm going to take this Mark Twain quote to heart..."Never argue with stupid people they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

I'm with Ply on to Wichita

Attempting to anonymously dunk on a player’s dad because you want to be right is some real VCU fan behavior. Disavow.

On to Wichita
You might want to read all of the posts, and see why this back and forth happens in the first place. If I don't agree and say Dji deserves more time, all heck breaks loose. How dare I disagree with that, right? Give me a freaking break.

I'm going to take this Mark Twain quote to heart..."Never argue with stupid people they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

So, now I'm stupid? Yes, how stupid and silly of me for thinking this off season Nelson was our best option at PG. Wow. Class act you are.

"Or maybe it wasn't the eye test and it was slurping up the "running with the 1s" talk. idk."

I said what I said because it was happening. Your shade throwing is cool for a 15 year old, but please continue...or just watch more basketball, that actually helps.

Chillax bro...its not personal

Ok, I'll bite...and I'm going to tell you what I tell my students...We don't pay you to think.

We don't want students to think? It's not "amateur" sports so they don't get paid but don't we actually really want students to think. That was over my head. Maybe because I'm not a teacher, & those schools boards r always right. Plus I don't know anything...will have to go back to watching more college bball.

(2) would rather continue your weird obsession with Spiderdad as somehow putting his son down makes you feel better.

I've butt heads with VT4700 & will again, but he's dead on right here. There have always been opinions on & even criticism of players but nobody would give it a second thought except that it's spiderdad.

Reactions: VT4700

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"

--also Mark Twain (allegedly)

*I think I have explained this before but will again. Yes, Goose starting on the team last year when we had 4 other guys who really adept at putting the ball in the basket made sense, especially because that team was lacking defensively. This year, outside of Burton, we really don't have another player, you can point to and say well that guy is going to get us 15 points per night. We know Goose is not that guy.

So far this year, Goose is averaging 26 minutes a game and averaging 4 points, 3 rebounds and less than 1 assist per game, as our starting 2 guard. I hear how great he is defensively, but that doesn't really bear out yet in both stats or to the eye test.
I agree 100% with this. Reminds me a bit of Nick last year - a guy who could start, but isn’t a good fit with the other 4 starters. Last year we needed more defense, Nick’s weakness. So far this year we are struggling to create offense, and Goose is not a scorer and a subpar shooter at the 2. He’s not a great distributor either.

Also don’t this his defense has been good so far this year, honestly I think he’s looked like one of the weaker links on defense. I expect that to change as the year goes on but still don’t think he fits what we need in a starting guard alongside the other 4 starters.

I’ll add that I think Quinn has been a problem for us offensively too. He needs to be more aggressive and give us 10 points a game. But we don’t really have any other options right now at 5, and I think he’ll improve as he gets more comfortable in the offense

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
Nail meet hammer 😁 Def agree with the TOs and make plays. The ball is valuable and must be protected at all cost. We had a great convo last night about this very thing. ✊ 🕷️🏀
It's a very narrow path to tread for guys trying to break into the regular rotation. Like I said before, the first job is in Mooney's eyes is to avoid turnovers. But to really stick, you have to do that but also play with enough confidence and make enough plays that it is obvious that you need to be out there.

No doubt that it is really hard to impress this way, but this is what it is and is going to be.

I've butt heads with VT4700 & will again, but he's dead on right here. There have always been opinions on & even criticism of players but nobody would give it a second thought except that it's spiderdad.
And, SDad and I have butted heads on stuff, and it is usually all good message board stuff, until Dji gets mentioned, and then I get to hear "we don't pay you to think" and "watch more basketball". So, he can say that and stir things up, but if I reply I am "Attempting to anonymously dunk on a player’s dad".

It's a very narrow path to tread for guys trying to break into the regular rotation. Like I said before, the first job is in Mooney's eyes is to avoid turnovers. But to really stick, you have to do that but also play with enough confidence and make enough plays that it is obvious that you need to be out there.

No doubt that it is really hard to impress this way, but this is what it is and is going to be.
And, I agree with this 100%. I am a best guys play guy, and would rather see a smaller rotation than a bigger one.

Here we go again with the SDad talk. As if we are not allowed to have any opinions because a player's Dad is on here. I mentioned Sal earlier because there were a lot of differing opinions on Sal. Some wanted him to have more time, others did not. I mentioned he should redshirt one year because I didn't see him cracking the rotation. people disagreed, but, we always had acceptable back and forth discussions on this. No one accused me or anyone of having an agenda, and no one ever attacked anyone for their opinion about Sal. Yet, with Dji, we can't have certain opinions? We must always be positive? We must say things even if we don't believe them? Sorry, that's not me. And, it shouldn't be anyone on here.
I will have to agree that VT you come off as having some sort of ax to grind with SpiderDad who has done nothing in my view but come on, voice his opinion, and support his son ( and thats totally ok). You keep saying all you are doing is voicing your opinion (and you don't see certain skills or a prominent role for DJII), but you come off as having some particular ax to grind and when you get complained at about (by SpiderDad and others) you get defensive (not necessarily a bad thing and most will do it) but on DJII topics, that takes the form of even more harsh attacks that just sound worse than your opinions on others because you are fighting so hard to "win" the battle with those who disagree with your opinion. Opinions are great and I dont have any problem with them and I have shared plenty of mine that weren't entirely appreciated by one and all, but your come off as especially venomous (maybe not the perfect word) when you post about DJII. I have no stake in this really. No real strong opinion on DJII either way at this point, but do think you "slide" (perhaps accidently) into unduly harsh crticism of DJII when you yourself are challenged on your opinions.

I'll disagree with this one a little bit. I think it actually is running a bit the opposite - - VT4700 is harsher and more "aggressive" in his opinions of a player because that players dad is on here defending him/touting him. At this point, it rings very personal to me. The player opinions are obviously fine, but now they are just more - - searching for the right word here - - - "aggressive" because of what i see as a "personal" matter between VT and Spider Dad. Thats a shame for all involved!!

I will have to agree that VT you come off as having some sort of ax to grind with SpiderDad who has done nothing in my view but come on, voice his opinion, and support his son ( and thats totally ok). You keep saying all you are doing is voicing your opinion (and you don't see certain skills or a prominent role for DJII), but you come off as having some particular ax to grind and when you get complained at about (by SpiderDad and others) you get defensive (not necessarily a bad thing and most will do it) but on DJII topics, that takes the form of even more harsh attacks that just sound worse than your opinions on others because you are fighting so hard to "win" the battle with those who disagree with your opinion. Opinions are great and I dont have any problem with them and I have shared plenty of mine that weren't entirely appreciated by one and all, but your come off as especially venomous (maybe not the perfect word) when you post about DJII. I have no stake in this really. No real strong opinion on DJII either way at this point, but do think you "slide" (perhaps accidently) into unduly harsh crticism of DJII when you yourself are challenged on your opinions.
I think if you go back and look at everything, you will see that I am fine with the back and forth when people disagree with my opinion about Dji. It is only when SDad turns the normal back and forth up a notch that I do as well. When someone tells me I am wrong and I need to watch more basketball, tells me they don't pay me to think, and now most recently calls me stupid, I can either say okay you are right, or I can reply. And how else should I reply except to say, actually I have watched basketball and I saw a 41 minute to 6 minute difference? If someone criticizes me like that, sorry, but I will respond with some stats/facts to back up my opinion.

But, it is what it is on here. Your posts are proof of this. SDad can post whatever he wants and people will back him. He can call another poster a 15 year old and tell him to watch more basketball, but no worries there, right? Never SDad's fault. I guess a few of us are just supposed to sit back and take that and just agree with everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: GKiller
I'll disagree with this one a little bit. I think it actually is running a bit the opposite - - VT4700 is harsher and more "aggressive" in his opinions of a player because that players dad is on here defending him/touting him. At this point, it rings very personal to me. The player opinions are obviously fine, but now they are just more - - searching for the right word here - - - "aggressive" because of what i see as a "personal" matter between VT and Spider Dad. Thats a shame for all involved!!
U r entitled to that opinion. I may have missed the “personal” stuff u allude to. However to me vt is consistent with his posting style no? Look I’ve been on this message board since 1999. I think I’ve seen it all. This is pretty normal stuff. Imo u or others r only noticing bc he has a son on the team. The perception is just different. & let’s be real VT4700 has taken more crap on this board than anyone. I know I’ve given him some. He may sling it back & maybe he brings it on himself idk but that’s a fact. If anyone has taken more “personal” stuff it’s him. And it is interesting that the only personal attacks being made as vt4700 pointed out r by the person being defended. Respectfully, GK.

I agree 100% with this. Reminds me a bit of Nick last year - a guy who could start, but isn’t a good fit with the other 4 starters. Last year we needed more defense, Nick’s weakness. So far this year we are struggling to create offense, and Goose is not a scorer and a subpar shooter at the 2. He’s not a great distributor either.

Very small sample size but our Off efficiency is 101 & 108 so far by kenpom & another metric. We’ve been better & I think this team can be better. But solid & that in no way screams “struggling to create offense”. Could change we’ll see. We do need to get that 3 ball percentage higher as a team tho.

we've seen some kinda dreadful starts to games and some great 2nd halves. If anyone has a metric on lineup combos and how they've done in their minutes, would love to see that.

I'll give myself a pat on the back for months ago posting how I wanted to see a tall guard/forward lineup that could shoot 3s, press and switch everything. Think I posted I thought it could be Bailey, Goose, Roche, Burton and Bigelow - maybe we'll see that one next game.

Wait until I get in mid season form attacking Mooney, then we can get a percentage of the board attacking me and vice versa. Mooney has earned a early season reprieve, based on the NCAA run and B- off season. Losing Reed, and now the softness/lack of rebounding is starting to pique my interest, but not there yet. Mooney’s recruiting has been solid not spectacular. Again we set the bar low because we are the super high academic Yale/MIT/Harvard competing against those dumb Davidson and SLU's.

You said you wouldn't take the bait again...but you did anyway. Do what I did years ago and just put him on ignore. You will find your visits here much more pleasant.

As KE Spider writes, “We all want the best for the Spiders. We are all avid Spider fans. Rather we all focus on winning on the court”. If only the Athletic Department was also on board.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. If this isn't a well seasoned team, don't you want your main guys, your top 6 or 7, getting most of the minutes, so they can get better seasoned? So, you want to waste time developing other players when our top 5,6, or 7 have never played together? This makes no sense.
I won’t speak for the original poster but I do think your statement above presumes that it’s ultra clear who the 5/6/7 guys in rotation are. Maybe it’s clear to the coaches, but it’s certainly not clear to me.

So I expect the argument is that if you don’t give the 7/8/9 guys something closer to equivalent minutes as the 5/6/7 guys, it’s hard to see if they can perform.

Perhaps it’s better to call it “exposure” rather than “development”. It’s easier to do that now in OOC if one concedes we aren’t playing for an at large bid. Nobody really wants to admit that in game 3 after you’ve started 2-0 though.

Last edited:
Reactions: gospidersgo
ADVERTISEMENT