ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching News

We've currently got job postings up for RBs, DTs, and DEs...presumably we're shifting some of the existing guys around.

yep.

• Assistant Football Coach - Defensive Ends - 500255 - ( Staff | Full-time | Salary | req2124 )
  • Assistant Football Coach - Defensive Tackles - 500890 - ( Staff | Full-time | Salary | req2122 )
  • Assistant Football Coach - Running Backs - 500891 - ( Staff | Full-time | Salary | req2123 )

Actually, if you think about the fact that these coaches are leaving for FBS programs, and undoubtedly bigger
dollars, you have to be impressed with what we had. Sure, I hate to see them leave, but at at least they’re
not stepping down.

Reactions: spiderjpo
Springtime,with or without a pandemic,is the season for coaches to migrate.Too bad it coincides with our Spring football season which includes competitive games.

This is truly what is unfortunate in that the athletic department is so burdened by Mooney’s salary and lack of revenue in MBB that we take it out by making cuts to every other sport.

This is truly what is unfortunate in that the athletic department is so burdened by Mooney’s salary and lack of revenue in MBB that we take it out by making cuts to every other sport.
So, DT, if we were to push Mooney out, do you think his replacement will come in at a lesser salary? It doesn’t work that way in the coaching ranks.

I don’t think we’d pay less to the next coach, however I would certainly hope that the next coach would make more NCAAs and bring in more money. The issue is that we’ve kept paying Mooney more & more with the extensions, and spent money on facilities specifically for basketball, and since that program hasn’t produced, it has caused a drain on other sports.

That’s not different than other schools. My point is solely that there are not other schools that go so long without NCAAs while giving their coach raises. We’re paying today for mistakes in the past. That being said, we can only do the next right thing. I just wanted to be clear that when football suffers because they don’t have money for coaches that it’s not all on Huesman. Or rather; that we can’t just flip out Huesmann and expect better if we don’t fix the MBB problem.

So, DT, if we were to push Mooney out, do you think his replacement will come in at a lesser salary? It doesn’t work that way in the coaching ranks.

Actually that happens sometimes & expect more than likely it would at UR. I’m glad we pay well & want us to pay a high salary to attract best candidates. but we’ll have ton of interest at the approx $1 mil mark & be giving a big raise to that person. now if we have to pay more due to market conditions or if say we got someone unexpected outside our range like a Kenny Atkinson then we pay same or even more. But if we dumped Moon yes I kinda expect we’d be around a mil, less than what Mooney makes.

but I agree w DT Spider. That’s not the main issue. If we were getting NCAA units ($$$) from NCAA tourney the salary really wouldn’t matter. That’s where the problem resides. We r not getting the ROI. And it trickles down to other programs. Which is another reason odd that UR is ok w Mooney status quo.

Actually that happens sometimes & expect more than likely it would at UR. I’m glad we pay well & want us to pay a high salary to attract best candidates. but we’ll have ton of interest at the approx $1 mil mark & be giving a big raise to that person. now if we have to pay more due to market conditions or if say we got someone unexpected outside our range like a Kenny Atkinson then we pay same or even more. But if we dumped Moon yes I kinda expect we’d be around a mil, less than what Mooney makes.

but I agree w DT Spider. That’s not the main issue. If we were getting NCAA units ($$$) from NCAA tourney the salary really wouldn’t matter. That’s where the problem resides. We r not getting the ROI. And it trickles down to other programs. Which is another reason odd that UR is ok w Mooney status quo.
My first question is, do we know that the dollars allocated to bb are hurting other sports, or is that just an assumption
you all have made?
Secondly, what does an A10 coach make? Is CM paid more, the same, or less?
I want what is best for football, but it’s a known fact that FCS team’s usually lose money.

My first question is, do we know that the dollars allocated to bb are hurting other sports, or is that just an assumption
you all have made?
Secondly, what does an A10 coach make? Is CM paid more, the same, or less?
I want what is best for football, but it’s a known fact that FCS team’s usually lose money.

“the men’s basketball program is a rising tide that raises all boats in our athletics regatta“

Only 3 A10 coaches - Rhoades Grant & Ford - make more than Mooney.

Yep, the average A10 coach is right around $1M, which is less than what Mooney gets.

So, hypothetically we let Mooney go to bring in a “better” coach. Don’t you think that “better” coach is going to want the same money CM is getting? I do.

Richmond (FCS – VA): Per source, Sam Daniels will be the new defensive line coach at Richmond. Daniels spent last season at Bridgewater (D-III – VA) and previously coached at Shepherd and Frostburg State.

BC's Daniels To Join Spiders' Staff

twitter.com/coachsamdaniels?s=11

One Bridgewater College football assistant is leaving the Division III school for a job at a program in the Colonial Athletic Association.

On Friday, a source told the Daily News-Record’s Greg Madia that Eagles defensive line coach Sam Daniels is joining the staff at the University of Richmond, where he’ll serve as the Spiders’ defensive tackles coach for UR coach Russ Huesman.
Daniels is a James Madison alum and reunites with ex-Dukes assistant Jeff Durden, who was on JMU’s staff when Daniels was playing there. Former Dukes defensive line coach Jeff Hanson is the Spiders’ defensive ends coach.

Prior to his arrival in Bridgewater, Daniels had stints at Frostburg State, Shepherd, Howard and the Apprentice School.

Daniels is the second BC assistant to land a CAA gig in as many offseasons. Eddie Whitley departed the Eagles last February to become JMU’s safeties coach

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Les Miles out as Kansas Jayhawks' head football coach

Les Miles is out as Kansas' head football coach three days after being placed on administrative leave.

Read Now

Last edited:
If and when we move on from Huesman VMI’s coach needs to be one of the first calls we make.

Well deserved

VMI’s Scott Wachenheim Selected 34th Eddie Robinson Award Winner as FCS Coach of the Year

Other notables:

5. Scott Abell, Davidson

11. (tie) Kevin Callahan, Monmouth

13. Dave Cecchini, Bucknell

Last edited:

https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?pid=37913&TeamID=-1&StaffID=317

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT