ADVERTISEMENT

Burton declaring for NBA draft, maintaining eligibility

Glad Tyler is coming back. I know I am old school, but the best reason to come back is to earn his college degree. Go Spiders.

Reactions: plydogg
giphy.gif

Reactions: urfan1
Burton waiting until the end to decide was a bit of marketing genius on his part. All of the big CBB reporters were covering who hadn't decided yet and his name kept popping up.

Hope we can get him a NIL deal this year (which I hate for the record, but it is what it is, so you might as well take advantage).

JOC got some quotes from Tyler...

“At the end of the day, I just thought it would be a better decision to continue my development as a person and a player and return to Richmond,” Burton said. “I’d say the deciding factor was just how I personally wanted to feel about myself. I felt like I had some unfinished business to take care of at Richmond.

“I think that’s going to show this upcoming year.”

He's coming back to curb-stomp VCU twice.
I'm "scared" to say anything to fire up VCU because their preening of "owning Richmond" came back to bite them. Besides that they have basically "owned us" with our winning against them a paltry 25% or so under Mooney , although the A-10 tournament game this year against them is still fun to savor.................

You know what? This is the exact time to talk as much crap to them as we want to, because we finally can. We ended their season, we won the A10, and we won a tournament game, the latter two being things they haven’t done in years. This is what we’ve been waiting for. And I think we have a better team than they do again.

You know what? This is the exact time to talk as much crap to them as we want to, because we finally can. We ended their season, we won the A10, and we won a tournament game, the latter two being things they haven’t done in years. This is what we’ve been waiting for. And I think we have a better team than they do again.
Agreed - while I like Coach Rhoades, VCU is basically becoming just a revolving door of players who pass thru for a year or two. I hope and think our model of loyalty wins in the next decade.

Reactions: urfan1
Agreed - while I like Coach Rhoades, VCU is basically becoming just a revolving door of players who pass thru for a year or two. I hope and think our model of loyalty wins in the next decade.
Yes, Mooney has been slow to evolve and adapt to the transfer game. But flip side is we have had good retention. Recruiting has been picking up, so the ability to retain players becomes a bigger positive. The next step is how the chemistry plays out with the transfers likely to come in and absorb big minutes.

If a Burton Bigelow forward combo is prevalent, I am curious as to who will guard the other big. Yes 4700 I do realize that many teams may not really have a big monster at the 4 :), but some teams (Davidson, Rhody this past season) played two very big guys together. Bigelow has good rebounding numbers, but seemed to be very perimeter oriented on Wofford.

Yes, Mooney has been slow to evolve and adapt to the transfer game. But flip side is we have had good retention. Recruiting has been picking up, so the ability to retain players becomes a bigger positive. The next step is how the chemistry plays out with the transfers likely to come in and absorb big minutes.

If a Burton Bigelow forward combo is prevalent, I am curious as to who will guard the other big. Yes 4700 I do realize that many teams may not really have a big monster at the 4 :), but some teams (Davidson, Rhody this past season) played two very big guys together. Bigelow has good rebounding numbers, but seemed to be very perimeter oriented on Wofford.
I don’t think it’s Mooney being slow to evolve. Reality is transfers experienced players and choose to look at other places where playing time may be more easily obtained.

I'm more of the Teddy Roosevelt - "speak softly and carry a big stick" mindset - translated as say nothing and then pound them on the court....................

Reactions: gcarter52
Love how he talks about the team chemistry. This starts with Mooney, but the guys still need to all buy in, and we have certainly gotten the right guys to buy in the last several years. Love how he mentions all 6 guys from last year, including the walk ons. This not only shows the chemistry we have, but shows how Tyler is a team first guy. It is not very often you hear superstars mention walk ons. Also cool how he talked about Goose and Grace, and how he talked about the school. A lot of guys in Tyler's situation declare and do not come back to school, even if they might not be drafted because they don't have what Tyler has here. If you like your school, like your teammates and coach, and like where your program is, there is a much better chance you come back than if you don't. And, how strange was that last question? Of course, he is going to pursue the NBA next year.

an obvious answer to that last question to Tyler but he would still have another year of eligibility. safe to say he's coming back for just "one more year" though, as he said.

most probably assumed it already, but we can be confident about having that extra open recruiting spot. so we have 2 more recruits to go with Smith. the PF is a must (Haugh/Reed/Lang). we've had lists of good PFs before. definitely need to land a strong one. add Bizjack and we really are loaded for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT