ADVERTISEMENT

Boston College

18 second chance points to 3? Never would have expected that ;). I know folks don’t think we can recruit more physical guys and always have to use our slingshots (3’s) against power 5 Goliaths but it doesn’t have to be this way…unless we just keep the same coach who teaches the same things.

I thought Quinn should have taken more of those wide open elbow jumpers when we got under 15 seconds or so on shot clock. That was a better look than what we’d get next. Same with Walz catching it wide open outside the 3 point line. The one he shot was early in clock and had a hand in his face and he drained it

Tough loss but BC was just too physical for the Spiders to deal with over 40 minutes. Bigs only getting 15 minutes didn't help. The guy guarding King had him blanketed for the most part.

Positive I thought was Quinn outplaying their big man. He made some quick/good moves around the basket that Post couldn't stop. Definitely has improved with those close in shots. Quinn won't be going against anyone like Post's size in the A10 so hopefully Mooney will prioritize feeding him the ball often.

I thought Quinn should have taken more of those wide open elbow jumpers when we got under 15 seconds or so on shot clock. That was a better look than what we’d get next. Same with Walz catching it wide open outside the 3 point line. The one he shot was early in clock and had a hand in his face and he drained it
You guys will not agree but Walz needs more minutes.

Reactions: bongturk
The Moon no timeout to stop their run in 1st half was egregious. We r very familiar w that. But the no fouling at end to not extend game was just as bad. The next foul was just putting them in 1 & 1. We had 3 times to do it b4 the double bonus!!

I did like Moon’s very early don’t wait double team on Post in the post. It worked a few times. It reminded me of our strategy against the nba dude from Morehead in NCAA tourney. But BC adjusted, unlike us, & used Post more on perimeter to their advantage thereafter.

MOONEY BALL BABY
Players (except Quinn) not at their best tonight - still only lost by 7 to an ACC team on road. King and Hunt struggled against bigger guards, but, again, team was within striking distance anyway.

This was an epic Mooney coaching fail - he reverted to HIS norm. Coaching performance in this game shows why he wins less than 1-2 in games where W/L could go either way. Just a few of the coaching issues:

1) Mooney had wrong personnel on floor for much of the game. Far too much Walz, Hunt, Roche, Bigelow, Harris, Tyne, & Bailey in first half after opening nice lead. The various combinations of these players simply can't score enough to win. It didn't work well, very poor player management
2) Noyes pretty decent first half, and individually maintained lead for team at end of half. Didn't play much in 2nd half. Spiders badly needed his offensive potential, so Mooney kept him on bench. Even in last 5-minutes when UR had almost no offense, Noyes mostly on bench. Mooney even pulled him back out when lead was cut to 5 with minute & half to go. Entire game, Roche couldn't find an ocean, but Mooney chose him over Noyes. Coaching malpractice
3) Mooney's use of timeouts to possibly interrupt runs and provide a strategic advantage were a problem in both halves. This is a habitual problem for Mooney, certainly reared it's head again tonight
4) Poor player management again for much of 2nd half. Defense was focus, but players on floor couldn't score. It appeared from watching player combinations in 2nd half that Mooney doesn't know that if you can't outscore the opponent you don't win
5) End of game coaching was atrocious as others have already alluded to in this thread. Consistent problem for Mr. 54%. We have come to expect it, BUT, it makes it really hard for a team to win close games

These are but a FEW of the coaching issues that we saw in this game. I could easily make the list twice as long. I firmly believe that a well coached Richmond team would have won this game tonight in spite of players not playing their best. Sad, Spiders should be off to a 3-0 start, but Coach 50% ensured that they are 2-1.

Last edited:
I am disappointed we lost, but playing an ACC team on their home court is always tough. I thought we played a good game and kept the score close on a night when our shooting was horrible. This team is going to do a lot better this season than a vast majority of this board thought they would do just 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
The Moon no timeout to stop their run in 1st half was egregious. We r very familiar w that. But the no fouling at end to not extend game was just as bad. The next foul was just putting them in 1 & 1. We had 3 times to do it b4 the double bonus!!

I did like Moon’s very early don’t wait double team on Post in the post. It worked a few times. It reminded me of our strategy against the nba dude from Morehead in NCAA tourney. But BC adjusted, unlike us, & used Post more on perimeter to their advantage thereafter.
I didn't think we needed a timeout then,...it wasn't like they were just scoring every time down and we never stopped them. After we went up 28-14, they went 2 pointer, miss, 2 pointer, 4 FTs, turnover, 3 pointer to make it 28-25. So, they had a turnover and a miss while we were missing everything. We missed 6 straight shots, plenty of them good looks during this stretch. Then, there was a media timeout then anyway. After the timeout, we went miss and miss with 2 more good looks, they made a couple FTs, we missed again, they went turnover, and we finally scored to go up 30-27. We missed 9 straight shots during that stretch, they made 6 FTs during this stretch. I don't see how a timeout changes anything there.

I also had no problem with not fouling. It was only a 5 point game and they shot with 25 seconds left. We get a stop there, we are down 5 with plenty of time. I would rather take my chances with getting a stop with 25 seconds left than send a team that went 17-19 at the line to the line there.

I know the theme on here is ALWAYS gonna be when we lose, it's Mooney's fault, and when we win, it's because of the players, but tonight was not Mooney's fault. We lost by 7 on the road and KIng, Hunt, and Roche went a combined 7-28. And, Bigs scored 2 points. I didn't see anything differently our coaches could have done to make that better. They played great D on our guards, and if we tried to drive by them, they had some good size at the rim. We needed to shoot well to win. We didn't. And, as I say most every game, 3 point shooting is key, and 5 made 3s usually won't get it done against a good team.

Players (except Quinn) not at their best tonight - still only lost by 7 to an ACC team on road. King and Hunt struggled against bigger guards, but, again, team was within striking distance anyway.

This was an epic Mooney coaching fail - he reverted to HIS norm. Coaching performance in this game shows why he wins 1-2 or less in games where W/L could go either way. Just a few of the coaching issues:

1) Mooney had wrong personnel on floor for much of the game. Far too much Walz, Hunt, Roche, Bigelow, Harris, Tyne, & Bailey in first half after opening nice lead. The various combinations of these players simply can't score enough to win. It didn't work well, very poor player management
2) Noyes pretty decent first half, and individually maintained lead for team at end of half. Didn't play much in 2nd half. Spiders badly needed his offensive potential, so Mooney kept him on bench. Even in last 5-minutes when UR had almost no offense, Noyes mostly on bench. Mooney even pulled him back out when lead was cut to 5 with minute & half to go. Entire game, Roche couldn't find an ocean, but Mooney chose him over Noyes. Coaching malpractice
3) Mooney's use of timeouts to possibly interrupt runs and provide a strategic advantage were a problem in both halves. This is a habitual problem for Mooney, certainly reared it's head again tonight
4) Poor player management again for much of 2nd half. Defense was focus, but players on floor couldn't score. It appeared from watching player combinations in 2nd half that Mooney doesn't know that if you can't outscore the opponent you don't win
5) End of game coaching was atrocious as others have already alluded to in this thread. Consistent problem for Mr. 54%. We have come to expect it, BUT, it makes it really hard for a team to win close games

These are but a FEW of the coaching issues that we saw in this game. I could easily make the list twice as long. I firmly believe that a well coached Richmond team would have won this game tonight in spite of players not playing their best. Sad, Spiders should be off to a 3-0 start, but Coach 50% ensured that they are 2-1.
Good points. Reality is that you could have written this in any of the previous 18 years and pasted it tonight. Your points reflect the consistency in who Mooney is and how he coaches.

BC better than VMI and Siena, but they are average at best. We struggled against a bottom tier ACC team that we should have been able to beat. The fact that we had a large lead in the first half tells us that. Going extended mins in each half without scoring is a dagger.

He's a catch and shoot guy...and plays hard
I think that "in his mind" Roche thinks he needs to be a catch and shoot guy. He too often acts as though there is a hot potato in his hand when he touches the ball. Seems to me that Roche frequently catches and shoots far too quickly, rushing and forcing his shot - resulting in a lower % of makes.

When Roche has a good open look he has made a pretty decent percentage (though low volume). Tonight he reverted back to what he was doing last year - that is throwing it toward the rim as soon as it touches his hands. His percentage of makes will go up when he consistently improves his shot selection decision-making in my opinion.

Last edited:
I didn't think we needed a timeout then,...it wasn't like they were just scoring every time down and we never stopped them. After we went up 28-14, they went 2 pointer, miss, 2 pointer, 4 FTs, turnover, 3 pointer to make it 28-25. So, they had a turnover and a miss while we were missing everything. We missed 6 straight shots, plenty of them good looks during this stretch. Then, there was a media timeout then anyway. After the timeout, we went miss and miss with 2 more good looks, they made a couple FTs, we missed again, they went turnover, and we finally scored to go up 30-27. We missed 9 straight shots during that stretch, they made 6 FTs during this stretch. I don't see how a timeout changes anything there.

I also had no problem with not fouling. It was only a 5 point game and they shot with 25 seconds left. We get a stop there, we are down 5 with plenty of time. I would rather take my chances with getting a stop with 25 seconds left than send a team that went 17-19 at the line to the line there.

I know the theme on here is ALWAYS gonna be when we lose, it's Mooney's fault, and when we win, it's because of the players, but tonight was not Mooney's fault. We lost by 7 on the road and KIng, Hunt, and Roche went a combined 7-28. And, Bigs scored 2 points. I didn't see anything differently our coaches could have done to make that better. They played great D on our guards, and if we tried to drive by them, they had some good size at the rim. We needed to shoot well to win. We didn't. And, as I say most every game, 3 point shooting is key, and 5 made 3s usually won't get it done against a good team.
Thought our offense was too iso on Quinn for the last 20-15 mins, instead of the good movement throughout the first 15 of the first half. I’d put that on the coaching staff.

Overall the boys fought hard, and on a night where we get a few calls/different bounces we win that one easily. But still think it was out there for the taking and we let it slip.

You had no problem fouling? They ran off half the game clock. Dude, I get it, you are a Mooney homer, and that’s fine, but as a bench coach, he sucks!

Yeah, fouling there was 100% the right call, really no logical reason not to. It's a two possession game. I guess Mooney was banking on scoring five points in 3 seconds like JMU did the other night.

You had no problem fouling? They ran off half the game clock. Dude, I get it, you are a Mooney homer, and that’s fine, but as a bench coach, he sucks!
I did not want us to foul there. Plenty of coaches do not foul there. Why does that make me a Mooney homer? Sorry, guys, I know u want unanimous hate toward our coach everytime we lose a game, but I am just not into the always blame coaches game you guys are.

Yeah, fouling there was 100% the right call, really no logical reason not to. It's a two possession game. I guess Mooney was banking on scoring five points in 3 seconds like JMU did the other night.
25 seconds, but when have you ever been accurate in your ongoing need to criticize.

I think that "in his mind" Roche thinks he needs to be a catch and shoot guy. He too often acts as though there is a hot potato in his hand when he touches the ball. Seems to me that Roche frequently catches and shoots far too quickly, rushing and forcing his shot - resulting in a lower % of makes.

When Roche has a good open look he has made a pretty decent percentage (though low volume). Tonight he reverted back to what he was doing last year - that is throwing it toward the rim as soon as it touches his hands. He percentage of makes will go up when he consistently improves his shot selection decision-making in my opinion.
He percentage of makes will go up when he consistently improves his shot selection decision-making in my opinion.

I agree totally with your last statement…but he’s still a catch and shoot guy. But as you suggest his shot selection and decision making is the issue right now.

25 seconds, but when have you ever been accurate in your ongoing need to criticize.
Hey, the next time we pull out a game like that doing it Mooney's way, I'll be glad to heap a ton of praise on him. But we lost tonight doing it his way. Like we usually do in close games against beatable teams on the road, so yeah, I'm going to be critical. That was a game we should have won but didn't. And now we're likely going to lose two more and with them some really good chances to put ourselves in position for a bid.

He percentage of makes will go up when he consistently improves his shot selection decision-making in my opinion.

I agree totally with your last statement…but he’s still a catch and shoot guy. But as you suggest his shot selection and decision making is the issue right now.
He needs to make. It’s why he’s here!

Reactions: bullfrog91
53% god Man, you’re a loser just like Mooney is
Wow. Loser? Just because IMO we should not have fouled there? Something plenty of coaches agree with because I have seen lots of times where the same situation occurred and they didn't foul either.

I am disappointed we lost, but playing an ACC team on their home court is always tough. I thought we played a good game and kept the score close on a night when our shooting was horrible. This team is going to do a lot better this season than a vast majority of this board thought they would do just 2 weeks ago.

Not all acc games r created equal. At BC is not tough. I like BC my dad went there but they r a bottom dweller in hoops. It was actually good timing for us, early Nov, not their home opener, no crowd, we're locked in because it's our 1st road game. Road games r tougher in general for sure but playing an ACC team (BC) on their home court didn't make it tougher. We weren't handicapped in any big way so opportunity lost imo.

Seriously? We can’t beat a bottom team in the ACC. Who Are we then. I’m so done with low expectations
I just try to enjoy the games as much as I can with realistic expectations, I won't be truly confident going into a game like that until I see a paradigm shift on the hardwood which, in all likelihood, is not coming 🤷‍♂️

Have to be in 4700's corner on this one. I don't think Spiders would have won this game if lots of coaches not named Mooney were at the helm. Like stated King shoots 3-11, Hunt 3-9. Roche 1-8 and Bigs non-existent from foul trouble. Mooney can't shoot the ball for them.

I thought he did well getting the ball to Quinn as often as possible. And what if the non- expected good offensive performance from Quinn against the so-called better big man doesn't happen? Nothing against JayNel but appears offensive running smother at point and defensively creating some TO's.

Killer of course tonight was so called "4" position where they got manhandled. Might continue against the superior OOC opponents but maybe not much of an issue in league play? Have to wait and see but honestly, even against two weak teams, Spiders have pleasantly surprised me how well as a team they have played.

Reactions: BOSRIC and VT4700
You guys are just unbearable after a loss. Sorry, but I like this team a lot. They are allowed to have a poor shooting night sometimes. Catch u next game.

I saw it more that our offense became way too stagnant, with Quinn pounding the ball and the rest standing around. For a spot up shooter, he needs to use his movement to show himself as a valve, but with the rest of the offense stagnant, it’s hard to be the only one moving off ball.

In my opinion, the real issue tonight was the breakdown in the offense and the reliance on isolation.

I just try to enjoy the games as much as I can with realistic expectations, I won't be truly confident going into a game like that until I see a paradigm shift on the hardwood which, in all likelihood, is not coming 🤷‍♂️
I agree. Nice to see Quinn show up. Bigelow disappeared again. Bailey was the only bench player. Mooney still sucks. We lost the game at the free throw line. UR 8-12 BC 17-19.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT