ADVERTISEMENT

Beat VCU

I guess the halftime speech was taking a nap. We got this don't worry about it. Best class ever. The end.

Gilyard was invisible outside of the last 5 minutes of the first half. Sherod was either invisible or glaringly bad. And the defense... giving up 87 to VCU is absolutely atrocious. Rhodes adjusted at halftime and Mooney did not. Quite frankly it’s pathetic to end the game sitting on 3 timeouts when using one could’ve helped stop that killer VCU run to start the half.

Also would’ve liked to see Burton sub in for sherod some tonight. Our only success came from Grant and Cayo inside, and I think Burton would’ve been much more effective than Sherod was in this game.

Sherod may be the most overrated player I have watched at UR since becoming a fan in 2011. Poor defender, poor rebounder, totally one dimensional.
is this a real thought? Or a frustrated we just got blown out by VCU thought? Hopefully the latter because....I’ll give you maybe the defender but he had a bad game

Unfortunately, many have been fooled this year by the soft schedule and feel good wins. Almost all opponents are having bad years, AND as stated all season, during most of the W's this year the opponent has played like trash.

Yes, this team is better than the last 2-years, and that is good. But, this is NOT a NCAA quality team. Even in this WAY down year for college basketball, this team should not be selected for an at-large. Results against the better foes provide conclusive proof.

Oh, by the way, once again Mooney got his ass kicked in his coaching head-to-head tonight. If you can't see that he is the problem .......

It is sad and infuriates me to no end that Mooney will get an extension following this season. As stated before, even Helen Keller can see that one coming. X # more years of piss poor mediocrity is on the way.

is this a real thought? Or a frustrated we just got blown out by VCU thought? Hopefully the latter because....I’ll give you maybe the defender but he had a bad game
Its a real thought. You admit the defending part but disagree with the rebounding and one dimensional? So you consider him a good rebounder? And what does he do on offense effectively besides shoot the three? Sorry to say but Burton should be taking much of his minutes imo.

Gilyard was invisible outside of the last 5 minutes of the first half. Sherod was either invisible or glaringly bad. And the defense... giving up 87 to VCU is absolutely atrocious. Rhodes adjusted at halftime and Mooney did not. Quite frankly it’s pathetic to end the game sitting on 3 timeouts when using one could’ve helped stop that killer VCU run to start the half.

Also would’ve liked to see Burton sub in for sherod some tonight. Our only success came from Grant and Cayo inside, and I think Burton would’ve been much more effective than Sherod was in this game.
And maybe Burton would have defended some.

Reactions: SpiderK
I really doubt that he will go 5 of 6 from three regularly. He would be there greatest three-point shooter in the history of basketball.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
Not good stuff here. Good look at some of the WTF are we doing moments on defense. In games like this against good teams, it’s amazing how lackadaisical the effort looks sometimes. I guess that is what playing with fluidity looks like, but way to often it appears as if the other team is expending a whole lot more effort.

The thing is we should have known that VCU strategy was to take the 3 away from us, pressure us up top and then runs a array of fresh guards at Gilly who everyone knew was going to play all 40 minutes. So, frustrate Gilly, wear him down, and don't allow him to dictate our offense. That is how they play. What they did was not new or novel, we just weren't prepared to handle it. That is all on the coaching staff.

Gilly was rattled throughout the game, but of course Mooney won't pull him for a breather to gather his head. Rhoades knew that so he kept all of the pressure on Gilly throughout the game and predictably Gilly did not have a good game.

Also why does our most athletic player get a grand total of 7 minutes last night. Once again, Mooney loses guys in the heat of the moment.

And one final thing, how in the hell can we play our traditional get hammered on the glass brand of hoops and at the same time, allow VCU to get a bunch of break away dunks. Isn't that the Mooney strategy for not rebounding to prevent transition points. How'd that work out for him.

And one final thing, how in the hell can we play our traditional get hammered on the glass brand of hoops and at the same time, allow VCU to get a bunch of break away dunks. Isn't that the Mooney strategy for not rebounding to prevent transition points. How'd that work out for him.

what did they get 6 dunks or so? Everything about this game was right on cue when you think about it. Another vcu loss, 6-18 to 6-19. Normal. 2-9 at Costco to 2-10. Normal. 19 point loss there. Just higher than normal. 6+ dunks. Sounds about right. Mooney dejected & scratching his head and face in postgame. Yep.

Also, great game for Grant, but I think that wasprobably Rhoades's strategy -- defend the three and let Golden get whatever he wanted. It worked. Mooney made no adjustments, and now there's a blueprint for beating us.
Without the loose cannon wild card of Blake in the game, our offense is just too predictable.

Credit where it's due; Noah tried to tee up the Blake Francis excuse in the postgame, and Mooney wouldn't do it.

Reactions: RESRam
My takeaways were:
  • Grant played really well in most aspects. Thought he was much, much stronger on his layups (other than the fast break one that got cleanly pounded against the backboard), decisive on jump shots, and worked hard on his hedging and recovering. Nitpicking, I would say to ditch the three, because it is clearly 2 steps outside his range. Also, once he recovered off the hedge, he didn't really recover all the way to prevent the post up, just recovered enough to get back to the guy.
  • On offense, Nate Cayo is really struggling with the difference between "being aggressive" and "forcing up a garbage shot in an attempt to be aggressive". First possession was a garbage shot against a double team. Second half, when he was covered 1 v 1, it was much more being agressive. Rule of thumb: if the first move/pivot/spin doesn't get you open, don't keep doing it and pass it back out.
  • On defense, Nate Cayo was bad. Didn't guard his guy against penetration, and was completely absent in boxing out weak-side.
  • Sherod can't be absent like he was last night.
  • Gilyard had a lot on his plate, and I think it showed. Had some TOs he wouldn't normally have. Here is where I think Mooney failed the most--use the time outs to get Gilyard some rest if nothing else, or force yourself to get him a few quick rests before timeouts.

It’s notable how absent VCU is on the board post-victory. That suggests they don’t view a win over UR to be much of a thing any longer.

Reactions: spider fan
My takeaways were:
  • Grant played really well in most aspects. Thought he was much, much stronger on his layups (other than the fast break one that got cleanly pounded against the backboard), decisive on jump shots, and worked hard on his hedging and recovering. Nitpicking, I would say to ditch the three, because it is clearly 2 steps outside his range. Also, once he recovered off the hedge, he didn't really recover all the way to prevent the post up, just recovered enough to get back to the guy.
  • On offense, Nate Cayo is really struggling with the difference between "being aggressive" and "forcing up a garbage shot in an attempt to be aggressive". First possession was a garbage shot against a double team. Second half, when he was covered 1 v 1, it was much more being agressive. Rule of thumb: if the first move/pivot/spin doesn't get you open, don't keep doing it and pass it back out.
  • On defense, Nate Cayo was bad. Didn't guard his guy against penetration, and was completely absent in boxing out weak-side.
  • Sherod can't be absent like he was last night.
  • Gilyard had a lot on his plate, and I think it showed. Had some TOs he wouldn't normally have. Here is where I think Mooney failed the most--use the time outs to get Gilyard some rest if nothing else, or force yourself to get him a few quick rests before timeouts.

Given two evenly matched teams, the coaching prep and scout for the game was clearly the difference. VCU had a great plan on how to defend us, Mooney did nothing to counteract, and on our end, we somehow reverted back to last year's defense of flying dutchman and not defending the dribble drive. Everything was easy for them on offense, while on our side of the ball, we had to work really hard just to get a bad shot. They shot well despite not being a good offensive team because they had open looks within the flow of their offense. We shot poorly despite being a good offensive team because we couldn't get the open looks that are normally there.

That is not the players fault. They were not put in the position to succeed last night.

good stuff, kneepad.
  • We ask Grant to do a lot defensively on that hedge. I thought he was awesome with it. He never let anyone get downhill off that screen. Recovering from way out there is tough. Someone needs to help until he can get there. He usually got there though.
  • Nathan forces some shots.
  • Defense is a problem against good teams. We scrapped the zone for man and we play man better than I expected, but we're giving up a lot of points. A lot of their 3's were right in the face of our better defenders, Cayo and Goose. Not sure there's much we can do about that. Sometimes guys make shots.
  • We have 3 non-perimeter shooters on the floor with Grant, Nate and Goose. Good blueprint on how to beat us is stay out on Jacob and Nick. don't allow the kick. make the inside guys try to score 2. we need Blake back.
  • Gilyard wasn't good with the ball. to me it had nothing to do with getting him rest. he struggled right from the beginning. VCU defends hard. we still should get the ball across half court.
we are what we thought. better than the last 2 years but probably an NIT team unless we get hot and healthy. we're not as good as Dayton at home and we're not as good as VCU away. still a lot of ball to play.

Someone explain to me what defense we were playing last night. It was not anything I've seen this year, thankfully, because it was a complete disaster. With the exceptions of the threes Skeleton made with guys in his face, we were abandoning the shooter outside the arc to switch, leaving guys wide open to drain threes. Grant tried to come out a few times to double someone, and every time he did, it led to a wide-open slam for MSS. (Shocker.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT