ADVERTISEMENT

Beat Davidson

Prediction … Davidson is too fast, athletic, and skilled for the Spiders to even contend with them today. They are an NCAA team and should beat us handily. They have a better coach and will get and make open 3’s at will. If we keep them under 90 points we will be lucky.
Now go kick their ass Spiders and prove me wrong again.
It worked three games in a row!!! Yes Yes Yes!! My new username is Croweater and im very happy with that.

After re-watching the game via DVR (so much more relaxing!), in addition to the obvious guys a few unsung heroes stood out:

1. Crabtree: only 6 minutes but important contribution by filling in when Goose got 4 fouls; also calmly hit 2 FTs despite coming in cold from the bench

2. Goose: zero points and 4 fouls, but big-time play with continuously active and aggressive D; did not force up bad shots

3. The Bench: fantastic loud and animated support throughout, down to the last guy on the bench; Kulju amazing

4. The Crowd: on TV the Spider crowd was large and loud; can only imagine what it was like in person; I go every year to Brooklyn so very disappointed this was down in D. C. so I couldn't get there.

Go Spiders! Beat Iowa!

After re-watching the game via DVR (so much more relaxing!), in addition to the obvious guys a few unsung heroes stood out:

1. Crabtree: only 6 minutes but important contribution by filling in when Goose got 4 fouls; also calmly hit 2 FTs despite coming in cold from the bench

2. Goose: zero points and 4 fouls, but big-time play with continuously active and aggressive D; did not force up bad shots

3. The Bench: fantastic loud and animated support throughout, down to the last guy on the bench; Kulju amazing

4. The Crowd: on TV the Spider crowd was large and loud; can only imagine what it was like in person; I go every year to Brooklyn so very disappointed this was down in D. C. so I couldn't get there.

Go Spiders! Beat Iowa!
Good observations. Burton’s rebounding was so key also. He was fighting for them.

I scared the dog yelling in joy when Gilly made this play. Probably way off, but when I saw the excited Spider fan at the end I thought "there is Section9"

I want to photo shop a picture of Gilly carry Loyer in a baby carriage with caption: "Who's your daddy". Also may want to photo shop picture of the 40 YO virgin with a Dayton shirt:)

I scared the dog yelling in joy when Gilly made this play. Probably way off, but when I saw the excited Spider fan at the end I thought "there is Section9"

I want to photo shop a picture of Gilly carry Loyer in a baby carriage with caption: "Who's your daddy". Also may want to photo shop picture of the 40 YO virgin with a Dayton shirt:)
I would love that.

Question for basketball geeks - did we do something different on defense this weekend than we did all season. We looked to be switching more than usual, but not the full on way we used to and didn’t seem to have the extreme hedges on screens.

One thought… and no Im not criticizing Mooney in his moment of glory but just wondering if anyone else was surprised that we had noone on the ball with 2.9 and DC w ball under their basket.
I personally was shocked because they most likely would have had to make a short pass and a heave. The bomb and timeout would have likely not have been possible. It almost came back to bite us since they got a shot off from reasonable distance. We won, so all good.

Last edited:
My in game comments were mostly centered around the refs. It shouldn't have come to that, but wow, they were bad. Especially in the second half.
Refs werent calling anything then w 10 minutes left they decided to call every touch foul on each possession. I really thought they were giving them the game. But we overcame and they gave us a couple too.

Goose needs to shut somebody down today, the way he's been doing lately. We normally shoot very well against Davidson, so I think the offensive chances will be there. Just have to slow them down enough to make it matter.
Just reading this thread for the first time … you nailed it … Gus had the best game in history of Spider bball w/o scoring …

Yep, Goose played some great D, all game long. Super game, just bothering and not letting shooters get open.

fatherspider, I was saying same thing to my son on that inbounds , put Grace on inbounds. I mean we just lost that game vs Dayton , partially bc we had smaller man on the ball. So we don't put man on ball and then two guys are still open 3/4 cour away. Next time put tall man on ball and bother the in bounder.

Yep, Goose played some great D, all game long. Super game, just bothering and not letting shooters get open.

fatherspider, I was saying same thing to my son on that inbounds , put Grace on inbounds. I mean we just lost that game vs Dayton , partially bc we had smaller man on the ball. So we don't put man on ball and then two guys are still open 3/4 cour away. Next time put tall man on ball and bother the in bounder.
Was the inbounder able to move? If so, then I was ok with having Cayo as a double team on whoever caught the inbound pass.

One thought… and no Im not criticizing Mooney in his moment of glory but just wondering if anyone else was surprised that we had noone on the ball with 2.9 and DC w ball under their basket.
I personally was shocked because they most likely would have had to make a short pass and a heave. The bomb and timeout would have likely not have been possible. It almost came back to bite us since they got a shot off from reasonable distance. We won, so all good.
I was stunned and was screaming at the court. I think they wanted Cayo to be the floater and stay in front of a guard in case one retreated to get the inbounds pass, but I don't think they complete that baseball pass if he's defending it from the baseline. Who knows.

Lee walked after he caught the ball. I thought Cayo was in the center to react to anyone who tried to catch the ball in mid court.

Reactions: nathanw19
Was the inbounder able to move? If so, then I was ok with having Cayo as a double team on whoever caught the inbound pass.
I don't think so. It was after a time out on Gilyard's missed free throw. can only run baseline after a made basket. But imo there is no way they have a chance to make a completed pass to half court and get a time out if someone is on the in bounder. We gave him an unobstructed baseball, line drive, accurate throw to half court. It made the last 2 seconds very unnecessarily anxious.

Reactions: bullfrog91
Lee walked after he caught the ball. I thought Cayo was in the center to react to anyone who tried to catch the ball in mid court.
I was about to rip the tv off the wall.

You can’t call a timeout in the air, and then once he landed he traveled (can’t call a timeout while traveling), and then he fell out of bounds (can’t call a timeout while falling out of bounds).

There is absolutely no way they should’ve been given that timeout at half court.

I was about to rip the tv off the wall.

You can’t call a timeout in the air, and then once he landed he traveled (can’t call a timeout while traveling), and then he fell out of bounds (can’t call a timeout while falling out of bounds).

There is absolutely no way they should’ve been given that timeout at half court.
Excellent summary. Are the refs authorized to change that call after a video review?

My in game comments were mostly centered around the refs. It shouldn't have come to that, but wow, they were bad. Especially in the second half.
The one with the grey hair was absolutely abysmal. Really became ticky tac with him but in the end the And 1s and our aggresive rim attacks sealed and saved the day!

Reactions: spider fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT