"BB" Gun Spotlight for Day 59

paward

Team Manager
Mar 3, 2003
The Voice of the Spiders, Bob Black
FDJKSJADGVUQDYH.20140731143216.jpg

Position: Assistant Director of Athletics/Communications
Alma Mater: Syracuse

Bob Black, Assistant Athletic Director of Communications, and a voice synonymous with University of Richmond athletics, provides the play-by-play account for Spider football and men's basketball broadcasts on radio, television and SpiderTV. Black has called Spider athletic events since the 1983-84 basketball season and has been behind the microphone for every NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament game that Richmond has ever played, including the 1988 and 2011 Sweet 16 appearances.

Black called the football team's run to the 2008 National Championship and the baseball team's appearance in the NCAA Super Regional in 2002. Black hosts weekly radio call-in shows with head men's basketball coach Chris Mooney and head football coach Danny Rocco on ESPN 950AM and RichmondSpiders.com. Black is a four-time (1997, 2000, 2008, 2010) Virginia Sportscaster of the Year award winner.

Black joined the athletic department staff full time when he was named Director of Broadcast & Internet Properties in 2001. From there, Black was promoted to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications in 2005, directing five full-time staff members in the athletic public relations department. Black’s responsibilities also include managing Spider radio, television and internet properties.

Prior to joining the athletic department on a full-time basis, Black was Program Director and afternoon sports talk show host at WRNL-AM. Black spent 11 years as play-by-play voice of the Triple-A Richmond Braves baseball team and served as morning and weekend sports anchor at CBS affiliate, WTVR Channel 6.

A 1981 graduate of Syracuse University, Black and his wife, Karen reside in Richmond. They have a son, Will (19), who is a junior at Roanoke College, where he is a two-time All-ODAC catcher on the baseball team, and a daughter, Sarah (25), a 2012 graduate of Bridgewater (Va.) College, where she rode on the equestrian team. Both children are graduates of Mills Godwin High School.

recall conversing with the guys and gals who sat with me at all the games back in the 80s and how lucky we were to have Bob calling our games and hoped that we could keep him for a while. after Frank Soden departed, we could not find a really good play by play guy, went through some rugged times. WOW, we did keep him, hard to believe it has been that long and really hits me that Will is 19, man am i getting old. we are so fortunate to have Bob, a true professional and a really good guy....:)

congrats to Bob on his 32 years with the Spiders...as the old saying goes I wish I had a dollar for every cold one I've enjoyed during his broadcasts...if so, I'd be a wealthy man, for a while anyway...

he just might be one of the lucky few who has been able to do exactly what they dreamed of doing when a kid...and make a good living at it...

I'll keep listening...

Go Spiders!

The Spider Gang Group Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/127760237246257/

Reactions: Spiderwiz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT