ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball

Come on, I want to win in any endeavor UR takes but my interest and support is because of the big three and right now I don't think things look that great in those sports

RE: support is because of the big three and right now I don't

hate to tell you, Baseball may not even be in the top 4. Women's BB is ahead, because of the funding and we have to try and be good at it. Either way, baseball is a distant, distant, distant 4th, behind Hoops, football and Lax. it is not even in the same picture now.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. In comparing VCU and UR in the areas of basketball and baseball, our teams are putrid. Of course I would love to see this change. I hate our Spiders losing, espically to VCU. I also hate losing to JMU!

Tech fires Patrick Mason.Mason recently completed his fourth season as head coach of the Hokies after serving a three-year stint as an assistant. He compiled a 90-126-1 overall record at Virginia Tech with a 37-82 mark in ACC play. Tech concluded the 2017 season with a 23-32 overall record (9-21 ACC).

UR last 4 years(Woodson):

'17. 17-36(6-17)

'16. 28-24(11-13)

'15. 28-25(15-9)

'14. 24-28-1(13-12)

Total 97-113-1(45-51)

Shafer and Woodson have a lot in common.Next season looks critical for the continuation of Woodson's UR tenure especially with a new AD.

Last edited:
when your team can't make the A10 baseball tournament you need to make changes.

It's time for a change, but the rumblings are that Woodson's contract was extended in the middle of the season. I have no confirmation of that, but was told it was a 3 year deal. If I get confirmation, will be sure to let folks know.

It's time for a change, but the rumblings are that Woodson's contract was extended in the middle of the season. I have no confirmation of that, but was told it was a 3 year deal. If I get confirmation, will be sure to let folks know.
Two questions why on earth would you extend a contract in the middle of a disastrous season? Contract extensions don't mean there aren't performance requirements, right?

Our next baseball coach should be this guy. Never heard of him, but he's a UR grad, and he just curb-stomped VCU twice in one day.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/coll...cle_f8a81289-4087-5871-bde8-2322f17e718f.html

Dick Cooke was a great player for the Spiders who went on to play in the majors for the Red Sox (I think). He has been at Davidson for 20+ years so he's not coming here but he did just prove it can be done at Richmond. Good for him and good luck to Davidson in the NCAA's.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
I know, according to many, it's impossible to have high academic standards and high tuition and be a winner in baseball, but Congrats to Davidson for winning the A10 baseball tournament.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
I'm happy they won, and glad "we" had even a small part in it. But I doubt many on here would be happy with an overall winning percentage of less and 40% (39.9%)

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Reactions: iSpider
This is probably the best change we can hope for this year. I hope it is enough.

Really nice article about the Davidson coach and former UR grad:

What Davidson accomplished this year is great considering it's a school similar to UR and it looks like the baseball team is even less funded than UR when it comes to scholarships.

They have similar challenges when it comes to academics, admission standards, high cost of tuition, and scholarship funding. We actually probably have a slight advantage over them in most of those areas bc UR is a little larger and seems to have more scholarships available. I'm not sure about financial aid but I suspect we are similar. They seem to have better facilities right now with a fairly new indoor facility but we could quickly catch up.

But lets not make them out to be some kind of juggernaut. This is the first time in school history that they have won 30 games. They have had 4 solid seasons in a row above .500. But in 27 years as HC he is still more than 270 games below .500 and has 21 losing seasons. 16 of those seasons he has lost more than 30 games including multiple seasons with 37 or 38 losses.

I have a ton of respect for what they have done in the last 3-4 years. But let's not make it out like it is easy for schools like UR and Davidson.

I still believe the only way we can be a perennial winner in the A10 and get back to making an impact in the NCAA regionals is if we go all in. It appears we are making that commitment to the facilities. But will we make that same commitment to other aspects like scholarships and admissions?

Sure there is always an example or too that you can pull out about a school like Davidson who has a good year or two every once and a while. But for every one of those you can find other schools with significantly more advantages when it comes to baseball than UR who are putting out winners every year.

Do we have the right coach? Not sure but I think the AD thinks so
Do we have the right facilities? Not yet but maybe soon
Do we have the support from admissions? Not sure but maybe we will be in a better situation once we get a new AD
Do we have the scholarship funding? No and we probably need to improve this

We need to change the answer to these questions if we want to become a great or even solid team year in and year out. We will always have a few disadvantages over some of the power conference schools and even some in our own conference (high admission standards, high cost, smaller student body). But we also have some advantages (better degree, nicer campus, smaller class size). It all depends on who the student is and what's important to them.

But we definitely need to close the gap on some of the controllable items like facilities and scholarships.

Last edited:
What Davidson accomplished this year is great considering it's a school similar to UR and it looks like the baseball team is even less funded than UR when it comes to scholarships.

They have similar challenges when it comes to academics, admission standards, high cost of tuition, and scholarship funding. We actually probably have a slight advantage over them in most of those areas bc UR is a little larger and seems to have more scholarships available. I'm not sure about financial aid but I suspect we are similar. They seem to have better facilities right now with a fairly new indoor facility but we could quickly catch up.

But lets not make them out to be some kind of juggernaut. This is the first time in school history that they have won 30 games. They have had 4 solid seasons in a row above .500. But in 27 years as HC he is still more than 270 games below .500 and has 21 losing seasons. 16 of those seasons he has lost more than 30 games including multiple seasons with 37 or 38 losses.

I have a ton of respect for what they have done in the last 3-4 years. But let's not make it out like it is easy for schools like UR and Davidson.

I still believe the only way we can be a perennial winner in the A10 and get back to making an impact in the NCAA regionals is if we go all in. It appears we are making that commitment to the facilities. But will we make that same commitment to other aspects like scholarships and admissions?

Sure there is always an example or too that you can pull out about a school like Davidson who has a good year or two every once and a while. But for every one of those you can find other schools with significantly more advantages when it comes to baseball than UR who are putting out winners every year.

Do we have the support from admissions? Not sure but maybe we will be in a better situation once we get a new AD

We need to change the answer to these questions if we want to become a great or even solid team year in and year out. We will always have a few disadvantages over some of the power conference schools and even some in our own conference (high admission standards, high cost, smaller student body). But we also have some advantages (better degree, nicer campus, smaller class size). It all depends on who the student is and what's important to them.

But we definitely need to close the gap on some of the controllable items like facilities and scholarships.

Facilities is the biggie, then funding. I actually think the academics we require work pretty well at our level of baseball. I think that's a selling point for UR. Facilities and price tag are holding us back and I'd say in that order.

I really think you guys overplay the facilities thing.
We could have Oriole Park and not win if the other team scores more runs.
(you can quote me on that) .
More money needs to go toward recruiting

Reactions: I-M-UR

Which AD are you talking about 'AD thinks so'?

Other advantage to A10 schools, weather is a big one and a history of playing competitive baseball, at least until recently.

I really think you guys overplay the facilities thing.
We could have Oriole Park and not win if the other team scores more runs.
(you can quote me on that) .
More money needs to go toward recruiting

Could not disagree more. Beginning to get involved in this aspect and have friends who have been involved for a little longer - it is one of the first things the kids notice and comment on. It's why Tech is spending $18MM on upgrading their facilities, why W&M added a great indoor facility down their 3rd base line, why UVA is upgrading Davenport Field as we speak, and why JMU renovated an entire building for baseball and softball across the parking lot from their new field. The facilities where these kids are going to spend more time than anywhere else on campus matter a ton. Especially when it's not as nice as what they have in high school.

Could not disagree more. Beginning to get involved in this aspect and have friends who have been involved for a little longer - it is one of the first things the kids notice and comment on. It's why Tech is spending $18MM on upgrading their facilities, why W&M added a great indoor facility down their 3rd base line, why UVA is upgrading Davenport Field as we speak, and why JMU renovated an entire building for baseball and softball across the parking lot from their new field. The facilities where these kids are going to spend more time than anywhere else on campus matter a ton. Especially when it's not as nice as what they have in high school.
Pike, you echo what I have heard from a number of coaches.

To clarify a couple of things:

When I said 'I think the AD thinks so' I was referring to the Athletic Department in general. I said that only because someone mentioned that they believe he was given a 3 year extension in the middle of one of our worst seasons ever.

In terms of academics, I agree that can be a recruiting advantage. I think there are pluses and minuses for recruiting when it comes to academics. I agree that strong academics is a selling point for us. It it also creates a smaller recruiting pool compared to most of our conference opponents. The other academic factor is admissions. Haven't heard much with baseball but clearly we have had our issues with other sports.

In terms of facilities, I believe it is a recruiting disadvantage. I don't think it's the stadium as much as it's the other faculties like the indoor training and other amenities (clubhouse).

I also think our facilities put us at a disadvantage for training during the offseason and in bad weather. I agree that a nice press box and concessions area is probably now a difference maker.

Talk about a mediocre Davidson team getting hot at exactly the right time...sheesh.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to argue the point. But I see schools with poorer facilities than ours going on to the NCAA's.
If you had one major choice, what would you upgrade to improve our play?

I'm not knowledgeable enough to argue the point. But I see schools with poorer facilities than ours going on to the NCAA's.
If you had one major choice, what would you upgrade to improve our play?

We need some kind of indoor facility where the team can hit year round, pitch, and even take grounders and work on exchanges, turning two, basic quick hands drills, etc. It doesn't need to be huge at all but they need to have somewhere they can work on these things. There used to be a cage in Millhiser, not sure if there still is, but that is not enough.

Congrats to Davidson, they look to have come together the right time

Throwing the tying run out at the plate from center field in the bottom of the ninth was the play of the game.

We need some kind of indoor facility where the team can hit year round, pitch, and even take grounders and work on exchanges, turning two, basic quick hands drills, etc. It doesn't need to be huge at all but they need to have somewhere they can work on these things. There used to be a cage in Millhiser, not sure if there still is, but that is not enough.

Comments from Woodson in today's RTD....

Baseball coach Tracy Woodson sees an immediate need for indoor batting cages.

“That’s No. 1 for the players. The stadium is key for alumni. It’s key, I think, for the university,” Woodson said. “If you look at (the setting), it’s beautiful. But it just doesn’t have that little zing at the end.

“I’d love to see lights go in.”

Reactions: iSpider and urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT