ADVERTISEMENT

Ayers to resign

Sorry. Didn't see that this had already been posted on the basketball board. I guess there will be much speculation about successors. Hope John Roush will be considered. He's done a terrific job at Centre College in Kentucky and, of course, has Richmond roots. Would be a big time supporter of athletics.

Good name there. I had forgotten he was still at Centre. Wonder if he, too, is tiring of life as a president or if he'd be up for it?

I actually was wondering if he would be considered, too. I thought he was going to be the guy the last time around. He's a good man from all I've ever heard.

Roush is a great guy and was a three-time academic all-american as a football player at Ohio U. He loves athletics.

That said, the make-up of the BoT has changed dramatically since his time here and he would not be a familiar name or face to most of the current Trustees.

Has been Prez at Centre for 16 years.Even though his relationship to UR was a strong one,not sure that would be enough to lend support for his Presidencial candidacy of UR.

Roush bio

I am not sure of his age but my guess is that he may be around ayers' age at this point.

Contacted John Roush before Ayers was hired and he told me he was not interested in UR job because he was very happy at Centre College. He graduated from college in '72 so that would make his age about the same as Ayers.

I did too. He is happy at Centre...and Centre is happy with him. However, the other reason he gave was that Centre was just embarking on a fundraising campaign and he felt the need to see it through. Timing is everything.

No offense but Centre College is small potatoes compared to UR.1,200 students,Div 3 Sports,$212m endowment.The days of selecting a UR Prez from this type of school are very long gone.We are and have been on a much different tratrectory.

I'm told the Prez at RMC is finishing a $100MM campaign, lot's of good things going on there, he may deserve a look

Centre is small in size, but that doesn't mean its Prez couldn't manage UR. Remember that Dr. Heilman, arguably one of our best Presidents, came from Meredith College in Raleigh.

it sure is 32, look at what we have gotten with our new trajectory

I'm curious to where the search will be focusing. I would assume and hope it will be like before, targeting a future prez coming from a school with high profile athletics and academics.

Originally posted by WebSpinner:
it sure is 32, look at what we have gotten with our new trajectory

What have we gotten with out new trajectory?? I don't know, maybe 10,000 applicants for the freshman class, a #25 ranking in the national liberal arts colleges, a $2 Billion endowment, a recent national title in FCS football, a sweet 16 appearance in basketball, a spectacular new on campus football stadium, a gorgeous renovated basketball arena, new dorms, new apartments, new academic buildings..

What more can you ask for?

and lost important donors, created much tension and have become another member of the template that academic pinheads use as saying you are good or not, crowd of colleges as opposed to being a great UR, being us not them. not knocking it, know that we have done extremely well but feel we could have been the best UR not 25th among pinhead academic thoughts of what a university should be.

sorry, have served in numerous volunteer positions on campus and on a couple of boards, love UR and give but i really, really, do not feel we should be attempting to be what others think of as what a school should look like, we should be us not them.

To play devils advocate that's a pretty conceited view you have! Don't you mean what u want the school to be in your eyes--maybe others like the direction of the school. I for one do not think a lot of the decisions that have been amde have been that bad. maybe in the short term some have been less than ideal and a lightning rod, but long term I think the vision is good.

Just because you don't like the direction doesn't mean others don't. I like that you voice your opinion on the school's status and standing and its not wrong, but to pretend its not what "us" should be is laughable.

see your point but was not really alluding to what i think we should be but more that we are good enough to not attempt to meet some numbers and ideals set up by arrogant academics as to what THEY think a school should look like. after attending this past homecoming's workshops, was impressed by a lot and am all for a lot of things we have done over the decades but also saw that we are very much changing, going after numbers that meet the "template" rather than trying to be the best UR. in all my years, a lot of them, have never been called conceited, pretty cool, am now complete.

I was at a conference last year at Meredith College, which actually took place the week after the Bonnie's game last year.

Anyway, I was fascinated that Bruce Heilmann had a significant hall there, too. What a cool legacy!

Any new rumors on what kind of president they will be targeting?

Weaver, highly recommend that you purchase and read his autobiography, AN INTERRUPTION THAT LASTED A LIFETIME. think it might be available in the bookstore online or certainly on amazon. if you read the inside jacket cover, you will be hooked and have to read it. he is a most fascinating man and still a great ambassador for UR.

Have been meaning to add two articles of interest to add to the discussion.
The first is from the Collegian.
When reading it, at one point, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. He
mentions, I think, that he has 12 vice presidents.

http://thecollegianur.com/2014/03/07/interview-president-ayers/42604/

The second is from the RTD.
My surprise here is the amount of money raised in fiscal year 2013.
Wonder how well he has done as a fundraiser?
How are members of the BOT selected and appointed?

Anyone have any knowledge of this?

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local/education/college/college-chiefs-give-to-own-schools/article_22cee4c7-6b15-5318-ac35-629db6a05ea5.html

I don't think 12 is an unusual number for a president's cabinet...and they're not all VPs. It includes the athletic director, chaplain, general counsel, etc. As for VPs, you've got advancement, business & finance, academics, admissions, student life, and a few more.

The student recreation center at Lebanon Valley College in Pa. also is named the Heilman Center, after the same family.

I've now heard from several folks way higher up the food chain than me and all report that his inability to raise money, coupled with his taking Queally's side over our traditional base, then Queally imploding was Ed's undoing. Folks made fun of me here a few months ago about his fundraising, but the fact is that Ed was a horrible fundraiser and was more focused on promoting an uber-liberal agenda than running the school properly. This place is crazy top-heavy. For instance, try to rationally explain why the admissions staff has 4 different administrators running it at the same time...

I don't know about taking Queally's side and the Ukrop problem (all of which is speculation),
but getting Lax at UR is a definite positive. I thank Ed Ayers for that.

LAX was a positive, the collateral damage was unnecessary and poor judgment.

That was my attempted point. I'm not anti-LAX but that was handled so poorly, it was just shocking.

An observation on an earlier point - Although I realize that U.S. News and World Report and others use the number of applicants in their analyses for ratings it has become a totally meaningless figure. With a common app and waivers of admission fees applicants are encouraged to check a box to have their application go to a certain school. It costs them no money and no effort so the number of schools to which individual applicants are applying is skyrocketing exponentially and meaningless to all but those who play the game for ratings.

Ayers is very personable and that alone was needed after Cooper alienated many UR supporters. The handling of the lacrosse, soccer, track situation and hopefully temporary alienation of Bobby Ukrop, one of the finest people I know, could and should have been done differently. Think the "politics" of the office of presidency has taken its toll on Ayers and he and his family will be happy to step back no matter what the actual impetus for his resignation is.

as am sure most of you did, just received an email referencing the selection committee which will make recommendations to the Board on replacing Dr. Ayers. notice the Admirals buddy, Alison Weinstein, is co-chair. like rutgers with their tainted search and selection of the individual they obtained for their athletic director, wonder if our selection process will have a huge agenda?

What would be the agenda? I know that Rutgers hired a lesbian as AD. Are you suggesting that the co-chair may want to hire a lesbian President? I'm not following the correlation. I don't know much about Ms. Weinstein (she is married) except that her family has been a great benefactor of the school, which of course I respect. I get the Admiral reference as I recall there was some email banter btw the 2 during, I believe, the Cooper/Football debacle but I don't recall specifics. Wellde the other co-chair is rock solid imo.

was unaware that the athletic director hired at rutgers was gay but do recall reading an article that stated that the woman in charge of the selection process there was determined to hire a woman. when the dust settled after the men's coach there departed after the tapes came out showing him hitting, pushing, throwing balls and just treating the players like dogs and the subsequent firing or resigning of the athletic director, it comes out that the woman hired had been sued as a coach at tennessee for treating her players like dogs. pretty ironic and telling when you have an agenda to hire out of a narrow group. recall that one of the emails sent by Mrs. Weinstein to the Admiral stated that she was an activists for gays so am connecting dots and wondering if there is an agenda with our search. only want the very best person, not a person who only fits one mold and hope that we do a best-efforts search that is completely inclusive and not tied to one person's agenda as happened at rutgers.

So if we hire a gay president does that mean that the search had an agenda, or not? I'm confused.

It appears to me that the core members of the committee are the same as those that hired Ayers, so my thought is if you liked Ayers you will most likely be happy with this choice also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT