ADVERTISEMENT

As the season approaches...

We have 8 OOC games against teams expected to finish lower than the top 200 including 3 below 300. On paper it looks pretty dreadful. The good news is there are 5 top 100 possibilities and hopefully the really bad teams prove not to be so bad as projected.

Interestingly, this year there are no “middling” games on the slate, 100-200. I think that’s normally where a team can help its SOS quite a bit.

Reactions: VT4700
I certainly agree we tried to schedule lighter this year on the bottom end, while still having some good name games. I just disagree with those who think it's clearly just CM trying to save his job.

too tough a schedule was not the way to go with 7 new faces.

Never said it would rank higher. Simply said it was not dramatically different.

U said it was very similar. I gave u 2-1 odds. If u really think they’ll end up very similar u would jump all over that. Alas.

"We're thrilled that our schedule gives us a chance to compete against some of the best teams in the nation," Head Coach Chris Mooney said. "It's great to have a A) mix of conference champions, local rivals, and B) legendary programs coming into the Robins Center this season."

Here's my take on the Mooney quotes you posted .....

A)
Yes, champs Bucknell, Vermont, and Jack St respectively from the 25th, 27th, and 23rd ranked conferences. Best teams from weak leagues that have combined for 6 NCAA bids in the last 7 years that Mooney has led UR to 0.

B) The legendary programs like Wake and Georgetown. I think you might have to go back to the days of coach Skip P (RIP) and before that to discuss WF's basketball prowess. And Wake was not a home game last year but is every other season so count them in.

And Georgetown, no doubt being an iconic program, so happy that night Nova upset them in 1985. Wow, that long ago! Though that shine on the program has been tarnish of late with John III known mostly after 2007 for not getting the favored Hoyas past the 2nd round of the NCAA's.

VT4700, If not researching A and B, and only reading Mooney's quote you posted, I would have visualized a more compelling list of OOC teams that what it gave us. Just get an NCAA bid this year and I'm on board for Mooney coaching the Spiders beyond this season.

U said it was very similar. I gave u 2-1 odds. If u really think they’ll end up very similar u would jump all over that. Alas.

Yes, I think they are "Very similar" and "not dramatically different". You, I guess, don't. Fine. No worries. Sorry, I don't bet on everything that I think will happen. My goodness, this is a simple message board. If we all bet on all of our opinions on here, we would never be able to keep up with the money exchanges.

Here's my take on the Mooney quotes you posted .....

A)
Yes, champs Bucknell, Vermont, and Jack St respectively from the 25th, 27th, and 23rd ranked conferences. Best teams from weak leagues that have combined for 6 NCAA bids in the last 7 years that Mooney has led UR to 0.

B) The legendary programs like Wake and Georgetown. I think you might have to go back to the days of coach Skip P (RIP) and before that to discuss WF's basketball prowess. And Wake was not a home game last year but is every other season so count them in.

And Georgetown, no doubt being an iconic program, so happy that night Nova upset them in 1985. Wow, that long ago! Though that shine on the program has been tarnish of late with John III known mostly after 2007 for not getting the favored Hoyas past the 2nd round of the NCAA's.

VT4700, If not researching A and B, and only reading Mooney's quote you posted, I would have visualized a more compelling list of OOC teams that what it gave us. Just get an NCAA bid this year and I'm on board for Mooney coaching the Spiders beyond this season.

Here is how some of these teams you downplayed finished in KenPom the year before we scheduled and played them:

Wake: 36
Vermont: 63
Georgetown: 69
Bucknell: 76

Add in Cincinnati at #23 and I stand by everything I said about knowing this schedule would be tough going into the season. Good luck continuing to try to show otherwise.

Yes G, he did state that as shown below.
This OOC schedule is very similar to the one a few years ago when we ended up being the 1st team left out of the dance..

And I'm okay with all the WORDING VT4700 uses without for the most part a definitive direction in why I should possibly say, "yes, sounds reasonable to me." I stopped posting for the summer after a mod questioned why I was digging for NUMBERS behind VT's words. Wish VT would add more to his wording opinion so maybe I can give more credence to his statements.

And as much as pro-Mooney backers dislike the constant calling for his head on this forum, while being in that group, I like to think I attempt to put factual numbers in with my opinions for the most part.

I'm not as book educated as most here so honestly have to look up words to really know what statements mean sometimes. :D Look at Mooney's "We're thrilled that our schedule gives us a chance to compete against some of the best teams in the nation,"

some

an unspecified number or amount of people or things.
"here are some of our suggestions"
at least a small amount or number of people or things.
"surely some have noticed"

So in reality when Mooney said some, he could have meant one team, that being Cincy I presumed. And I always thought some meant more than one. :rolleyes:

Yes G, he did state that as shown below.

And I'm okay with all the WORDING VT4700 uses without for the most part a definitive direction in why I should possibly say, "yes, sounds reasonable to me." I stopped posting for the summer after a mod questioned why I was digging for NUMBERS behind VT's words. Wish VT would add more to his wording opinion so maybe I can give more credence to his statements.

And as much as pro-Mooney backers dislike the constant calling for his head on this forum, while being in that group, I like to think I attempt to put factual numbers in with my opinions for the most part.

I'm not as book educated as most here so honestly have to look up words to really know what statements mean sometimes. :D Look at Mooney's "We're thrilled that our schedule gives us a chance to compete against some of the best teams in the nation,"

some

an unspecified number or amount of people or things.
"here are some of our suggestions"
at least a small amount or number of people or things.
"surely some have noticed"

So in reality when Mooney said some, he could have meant one team, that being Cincy I presumed. And I always thought some meant more than one. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I did not know I was supposed to explain and go into detail with so many things said on here, but I will try with this. By "not dramatically different", I meant "not exactly the same, but maybe a little different". By, "very similar", I meant "not exactly the same, but maybe a little different" . Hope that helps.

By "some" of the best teams in the nation, Mooney most likely meant having 5 of his 12 OOC games against teams that finished the previous season ranked 76 or higher by KenPom, which is pretty tough considering there are well over 300 D-1 teams now.

Here is how some of these teams you downplayed finished in KenPom the year before we scheduled and played them:

Wake: 36
Vermont: 63
Georgetown: 69
Bucknell: 76

Add in Cincinnati at #23 and I stand by everything I said about knowing this schedule would be tough going into the season. Good luck continuing to try to show otherwise.

Firstly like to acknowledge your improvement in giving out stats to backup your opinions. Also honestly I have agreed with some (more than one) of your posts. Just I disagree with many "over-the-top" (my opinion) optimistic posts about in general the state of UR basketball.

What you posted is good competition and let us look at the other 7 opponents both years .....

Delaware
2017 #290
2018 #247

Jack St
2017 #157
2018 #142

UAB
2017 #196
2018 #109

Louisiana-L
2017 #146
2018 #69

ODU
2017 #120
2018 #64

JMU
2017 #223
2018 #229

Boston C
2017 #173
2018 #77

Easy to see the improvement in all but one of the teams. I think what helped was not having any +300 ranked teams which I would hope could be the case every year. What still puzzles me looking at the numbers is how Mooney lead the squad to only a 2-10 record?

Looking at SI's ranking of all 353 D1 basketball teams, Richmond checks in at #163 overall--9th in the conference. The first A10 team on the list is at #55 which is Davidson. Not a encouraging sign for the league or the team--maybe motivators for both. Only projected to have 3 teams in the top 100.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...oops-rankings-every-team-kansas-duke-kentucky

I'm really not getting the Davidson love. They got Kellan Grady, Gudmundsson, and a pile of poo. McKillop can coach up some poo, but not to become the top team in the conference.

I wouldn't predict them first either myself but I expect they'll be in the mix. They lack depth, but I'm sure hoping they can develop it just as we're hoping the same. But they do have 2 pretty good players who were out last year due to injury - incl. one that was a contributor the year prior - plus apparently a stud freshman big man. So while they lost a lot with returning points and minutes it is a bit deceiving.

Was our exhibition on ESPN+?

It appears Davidson exhibition vs W&L is on ESPN+ at 7pm tonight...

Expected spreads...

11/9 - Longwood +18
11/14 - St. Francis (NY) +17
11/16 - IUPUI +14
11/19 - Loyola Chicago* -5
11/21 - Boston College -5 (could be Wyoming* )
11/25 - Hampton +12
11/28 - at Georgetown -8
12/1 - Wake Forest +1
12/5 - Coppin State +22
12/15 - Oral Roberts +11
12/19 - Old Dominion +1
12/22 - High Point** +8
12/29 - at South Alabama +1

Last edited:
I'm really not getting the Davidson love. They got Kellan Grady, Gudmundsson, and a pile of poo. McKillop can coach up some poo, but not to become the top team in the conference.
I think the Davidson love is more a reflection of how bad the A-10 league is this year. They have to have a team an A-10 Team in the Top 60, because one of them is going to end up there this year. Who else are you picking, a Mason team that hasn't been relevant in years, an SLU team with a coach who can recruit but is not a good X&O's guy, a Rhody team that lost its coach and several of its key pieces. So, I think Davidson is the same default pick in the A-10, with a great coach and potential POY on that team.

Mason yes. St. Joe's has a sneaky good roster and pieces. Rhody's got a top three (Dowtin, Lengevine, and Russell) that are really good. Dayton has good talent in Cunningham, Crutcher, Landers, but Grant kind of sucks as a coach. And St. Louis has a pretty loaded team.

I think St. Louis, St. Joe's and Mason are the top three.

Next two are Rhody, Dayton.

Then Richmond, Bonnies, Davidson, and VCU in some order in the very competitive middle.

Duquesne decent, and UMass improving but not enough around Pipkins.

Then GW, Fordham, and LaSalle all suck.

Expected spreads...

11/9 - Longwood +18
11/14 - St. Francis (NY) +17
11/16 - IUPUI +14
11/19 - Loyola Chicago* -5
11/21 - Boston College -5 (could be Wyoming* )
11/25 - Hampton +12
11/28 - at Georgetown -8
12/1 - Wake Forest +1
12/5 - Coppin State +22
12/15 - Oral Roberts +11
12/19 - Old Dominion +1
12/22 - High point** +8
12/29 - at South Alabama +1
So, 10-3 OOC, I believe that is in line with my prediction?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT