ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama

Not necessarily. Blake coming in after 4 minutes, when the other team is a little tired? I’d be open to trying it. He’s definitely one of our best 5, but finding the right way to get him going (or our team going) in a game might mean having him off the bench. Also, it’s more important who ends the game than who starts it.

We don't need to worry about getting Blake going. No one is going to shoot well from three-point range every single game. He will be fine. We want him starting because we want one of our best players playing 33 minutes a game. Sitting him the first four means he needs to play 33 of the the last 36. You start your best players, and then rest them accordingly during the game, especially guys like Blake, who can handle, shoot, and play some defense.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
One thing I was surprised about watching the Alabama game (note I did watch the ODU, but not the Radford game) is that I never felt at any point in the game, regardless of what the score was, that we could win that game. That was frightening.

Couple other small notes:
-it seems to me that just about no one on this team is able to consistently use their off hand around the basket. Golden in particular, since he's inside so much, its more apparent. I don't know why that isn't something the coaches or even back to HS coaches are stressing and practicing.

-as some one else had pointed out, the substitution pattern in this game was odd. Didn't understand what the strategy was--perhaps there wasn't one.

-Francis clearly has been given the green light in any situation, any time and in any location.

What I’m most disappointed with so far this season is Gilyard not forcing his will on a game consistently. He’s still my favorite player on the squad, but we NEED him to lead and be influential for all 40. I think everything else falls into place after that.

So, we need Jacob to be more out of control, and Blake to be less out-of-control? Come on. Both of those guys are a big reason we have won 10 games so far. Jacob is a big time leader, is averaging 15 and 6, and is doing everything you want a top point guard to do out there.

We don't need to worry about getting Blake going. No one is going to shoot well from three-point range every single game. He will be fine. We want him starting because we want one of our best players playing 33 minutes a game. Sitting him the first four means he needs to play 33 of the the last 36. You start your best players, and then rest them accordingly during the game, especially guys like Blake, who can handle, shoot, and play some defense.
Agree. Along with some normal progression & seasoning for the returners, Blake Francis (and a little Tyler Burton) are the difference between 10-3 and consecutive 20 loss seasons.

Confidence, tough mindset, demeanor, scoring, defense. Francis is the change. No player is perfect, and he can do better like everyone else. But, If you make major change to Francis' style and/or playing time you lose the positives that he brings.

Minor interventions by the coach, not major overhaul.

So, we need Jacob to be more out of control, and Blake to be less out-of-control? Come on. Both of those guys are a big reason we have won 10 games so far. Jacob is a big time leader, is averaging 15 and 6, and is doing everything you want a top point guard to do out there.
I never said I want Jacob out of control. But he has definitely had too many spells of passive play this year.

He’s hands down our best player, I think we need him to be more influential, especially early. There have been multiple games where he’s has a quiet first half, then explodes in the second half.

Maybe we have to agree to disagree. I think that for game flow or matchup, you don’t necessarily start your “best” 5 but instead your 5 that best compliment each other. Starting Goose over Blake would give a defensive presence to start the game, a longer guard compliment to Jacob, and let us establish Grant and Jacob early (and maybe even Nick). Then you bring in Blake who we know will get his shots/points. We’ve had some slow starts, and mixing it up like that could help us.

Also, I think the idea of simply “you start your best 5” is a bit too old school/linear. I think you start the 5 that give you the best chance of winning. Sometimes that is your “best” 5. Sometimes that’s a preferable matchup. Sometimes that’s having a big scoring option coming off the bench.

Makes no sense bringing Blake off the bench! Let's build a lead instead of pessimistically looking we need a jumpstart. Last thing this team needs is instant offense off the bench game to game. Séems like a couple game bad stretch for too many players all together. Plus Wok finally showed he's the perfect fit for that sub (when needed).

Might take a few ill-advised shots, but Blake is a confident, fearless shooter who is better than was advertised. A little aspect I like about him is his ability of using his body on his man attempting to have a charge called. Might be undersized but makes his opponent work hard on getting to the rim.

You must remember that all of our pre game videos and other media have established our starting players. That historically doesn’t change unless there is an injury.

Blake should be starting. He takes some bad shots, but as others have pointed out we need his aggressiveness. Too often the past few games he’s the only one not playing passively out there. If anything, I’d maybe start Gus/Burton over Sherod, who is a much more 1 dimensional player than Blake.

Couple other small notes:
-it seems to me that just about no one on this team is able to consistently use their off hand around the basket. Golden in particular, since he's inside so much, its more apparent. I don't know why that isn't something the coaches or even back to HS coaches are stressing and practicing.
Something I commented on back in March. Not sure why no one on the staff worked on it over the summer.
Golden Interview

Agree 2020. How can Golden, in his 4th year, not have a left hand shot within 2 feet?

I'd also like to know how a 6'10 guy with all of those low post moves can't dunk more instead of laying it up.

If anything, I’d maybe start Gus/Burton over Sherod, who is a much more 1 dimensional player than Blake.
I hate agreeing with this, as I love Nick, but it makes more sense than taking out Blake. Better to get a two-way player in there over a pure scorer who is averaging just over 7 points starting the last few games.

Watch, Nick will probably fill it up tonight.

Agree 2020. How can Golden, in his 4th year, not have a left hand shot within 2 feet?

Why is this so surprising? There are college players all over and also plenty of NBA bigs out there who never shoot with their off hand.

Why is this so surprising? There are college players all over and also plenty of NBA bigs out there who never shoot with their off hand.
I don’t think it’s something he needs to do often, but if he and Cayo could each go left once or twice a game, it would help keep defenders honest. I believe there was a play vs Alabama where either Golden or Cayo got blocked because they used their right hand on a left handed layup

Ha if you follow @spidermbb on instagram, you can see a pre-SJU game video of the bigs doing a left hand layup drill ... everyone uses left hand except GG :D

Mooney can use his left...

IPRdcg6.png

I hate agreeing with this, as I love Nick, but it makes more sense than taking out Blake. Better to get a two-way player in there over a pure scorer who is averaging just over 7 points starting the last few games.

Watch, Nick will probably fill it up tonight.
They all light it up against the bad competition... well most of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT