ADVERTISEMENT

Aidan Noyes - 2021 Commit

“I’ve already narrowed my list down, but I’m not announcing it publicly. As far as committing goes, I’m planning on waiting it out a little bit,” Noyes confirms. “I want to play a little bit of my season, that’s the plan as of right now. That could change, because there are schools that I really, really like.”

Interesting, as it sounds like he was going to go after some bigger league offers, but committed now. Wondering if our staff exerted some pressure to sign now?
Hopefully that's not the case because if it is, we will be at risk to lose him. He can easily accept our offer and still wait to play some and see if better offers come. Recruiting doesn't stop because kids commit. Wouldn't be the first kid to de-commit after a blowing up or whatever. And if we put on the pressure, he may not ultimately feel that bad about it.

Rather, I hope that he decided that (a) we were as good or better than any mid-level P6 offers that might materialize and (b) he'd ultimately rather go with a team that's been on him for awhile rather than a team who gets on him late primarily because they didn't get the commits they wanted earlier in the process.

Reactions: spider23
decommitting is really rare. it's happened once here that I know of. and it's almost non-existent for someone committing a week before signing day.

Noyes was ready. that's all.

dead period was extended again. cases are rising everywhere, including Ohio. who knows how much of a high school season we'll have.

Aidan might have just woke up one day ready to chose the team and coaches he felt best about. I doubt very much we pressured him.
I doubt if we exerted any pressure.
I know this may seem strange to some , but he just really, really liked us.

What I like: His AAU tapes. Super athletic and plays with an edge. He has a bunch of nice mid major offers. When I see programs like Belmont offering, that says something. He looks like he is still growing, started out as 6'5, now listed as 6'7. If he grows a couple more inches, damn, we might have ourselves a really underrecruited prospect.

What I don't: His stroke is nice but might be bit slow for the college game. He has a bunch of offers but its not like BCS programs were calling him up. Not starting on a Junior on his school team. Sorry, that is same issue I have with Dread. I don't care who you have in front of you, if you are a legit D-1 talent, you are starting as a Junior on your high school team. Needs to add muscle. Like Sal, he is going to get pushed around a lot in college unless he adds some muscle.

So, if I were to be offering a grade, I would say Noyes is a solid B.

What I like: His AAU tapes. Super athletic and plays with an edge. He has a bunch of nice mid major offers. When I see programs like Belmont offering, that says something. He looks like he is still growing, started out as 6'5, now listed as 6'7. If he grows a couple more inches, damn, we might have ourselves a really underrecruited prospect.

What I don't: His stroke is nice but might be bit slow for the college game. He has a bunch of offers but its not like BCS programs were calling him up. Not starting on a Junior on his school team. Sorry, that is same issue I have with Dread. I don't care who you have in front of you, if you are a legit D-1 talent, you are starting as a Junior on your high school team. Needs to add muscle. Like Sal, he is going to get pushed around a lot in college unless he adds some muscle.

So, if I were to be offering a grade, I would say Noyes is a solid B.
You forgot to add what your grade would be for:
Danny Ainge
Larry Bird
Kevin McHale

;)

So long as we ONLY compare him to white dudes... 😐
he is white. it's a characteristic that's not important but doesn't have to be ignored. there's nothing offensive with looking for similarities to Duncan Robinson, Gordon Hayward, Rex Chapman, or Brent Barry.

he's a 6'6", thin, very bouncy, strong shooter. if you prefer, we can compare him to Zach LaVine, or Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan ... though it's extra crazy to compare him to some of the greatest ever. as far as Spiders, we haven't had many high flyers that I can think of. Burton is a comp though Aidan's not as physically strong yet. maybe Martel or Kevin Smith?

[Soapbox alert]

I wouldn't have made that sarcastic comment if there had been a single comparison to a black player in this thread. But there wasn't.

Let me be clear: I do not think anyone on this thread that was being malicious or intentionally trying to denigrate anyone at all, or anything of the kind.

BUT, it definitely is a thing to unconsciously perpetuate stereotypes based on race, and particularly in the comparison of athletes. https://slate.com/culture/2005/12/larry-bird-white-basketball-archetype.html

I just pointed it out because I think it is useful to be aware of that usually unconscious predilection to compare white with white, black with black. This is a very easy, nonconfrontational, way to force ourselves to think a little differently in a way that consciously tries to look past race to find commonality among us.

[Stepping off soapbox]

If I'm comparing to "bouncy shooters", sticking with Richmond, my comps would be Marshall Wood, Jarod Stevenson, and Kinte Smith. Not quite tall enough for Justin Harper, but maybe we can dream...

knee, is comparing a bouncy white player to other bouncy white players perpetuating stereotypes? the stereotype of a white player as far as I know is one that's less athletic than a black player. obviously that's not always the case, but it's the steroetype.

as for your comps, all decent shooters but I don't remember them as overly bouncy.

We used to run that inbound OOB play by Beilein from the baseline where Darryl Oliver would just lob it in near the basket and Jarod would come flying down the lane and slam it on a guys head. He was definitely bouncy.

We used to run that inbound OOB play by Beilein from the baseline where Darryl Oliver would just lob it in near the basket and Jarod would come flying down the lane and slam it on a guys head. He was definitely bouncy.
gotcha. I didn't get to watch as much back then. glad to have ESPN+ these days.
another I thought of is Josh Jones.

[Soapbox alert]

I wouldn't have made that sarcastic comment if there had been a single comparison to a black player in this thread. But there wasn't.

Let me be clear: I do not think anyone on this thread that was being malicious or intentionally trying to denigrate anyone at all, or anything of the kind.

BUT, it definitely is a thing to unconsciously perpetuate stereotypes based on race, and particularly in the comparison of athletes. https://slate.com/culture/2005/12/larry-bird-white-basketball-archetype.html

I just pointed it out because I think it is useful to be aware of that usually unconscious predilection to compare white with white, black with black. This is a very easy, nonconfrontational, way to force ourselves to think a little differently in a way that consciously tries to look past race to find commonality among us.

[Stepping off soapbox]

If I'm comparing to "bouncy shooters", sticking with Richmond, my comps would be Marshall Wood, Jarod Stevenson, and Kinte Smith. Not quite tall enough for Justin Harper, but maybe we can dream...
+1

Good pick up. Certainly needs strength and bulk, but as someone else mentioned, I see the edge in his game (competitive toughness), and a springy bounce. Think he will be a good player in time.

After watching his film, I would not classify him as a great shooter. If he continues to work at that level, he very well may become a better than average shooter. In my view his form (and pre-shot habits) make it unlikely that he would become a "great" shooter.

Good pick up. Certainly needs strength and bulk, but as someone else mentioned, I see the edge in his game (competitive toughness), and a springy bounce. Think he will be a good player in time.

After watching his film, I would not classify him as a great shooter. If he continues to work at that level, he very well may become a better than average shooter. In my view his form (and pre-shot habits) make it unlikely that he would become a "great" shooter.
Are you a coach? We don’t know what he is made of inside. I’m sure they said the same thing about Robinson of Michigan. Time will tell!

In my view his form (and pre-shot habits) make it unlikely that he would become a "great" shooter.
I've only seen his workout video on the shooting gun and the no-defense game video highlights, but his form and pre-shot habits look fine and repeatable to me. arc is very consistent. I think he's already a great shooter.

I'd feel a little better seeing more range, but a good shooter will usually still be a good shooter when extended. his game video is at 19'9" and his workout video is only at 20'9". he'll have to adjust to getting it up from 22' 1 3/4", but the form looks pretty effortless so shouldn't be a problem.

Are you a coach? We don’t know what he is made of inside. I’m sure they said the same thing about Robinson of Michigan. Time will tell!
I know a fair amount about shooting a basketball, yes. Feel free to revisit this in 2-years. You can assess whether my comments were accurate at that time.

I've only seen his workout video on the shooting gun and the no-defense game video highlights, but his form and pre-shot habits look fine and repeatable to me. arc is very consistent. I think he's already a great shooter.

I'd feel a little better seeing more range, but a good shooter will usually still be a good shooter when extended. his game video is at 19'9" and his workout video is only at 20'9". he'll have to adjust to getting it up from 22' 1 3/4", but the form looks pretty effortless so shouldn't be a problem.
I know a fair amount about shooting a basketball, yes. Feel free to revisit this in 2-years. You can assess whether my comments were accurate at that time.

Well I know a great deal also, I coached over 20 years on the high school level and AAU during the summers too. Yes, we shall see in a few years. ✌️👍

Reactions: plydogg
ok, I've got to ask.
Not-A-Homer ... what fault do you see in his form and pre-shot habits?

I think we can all list a few great shooters that had imperfect but repeatable form.

Interesting debate, ultimately what matters if you can make shots in games. I see these "shot doctors" that are very specific on certain mechanics, that may conflict with other "shot doctors" mechanics. Obviously some flaws make it very hard to become a good shooter. My son used to be on AAU team that was partially coached by a successful D3 coach. A few times I heard him asked about fixing a kids mechanics, he replied that he was more interested in increasing the comfort zone and repeatable motions - what ever that means. One thing I have always observed is CONFIDENCE plays a huge role in shooting success. I have seen guys with bad form shoot better than kids with better form, because they always felt it was going in, and wanted the shot. I do think that Aidan looks like a confident shooter. Hoping this translates to our level!

Interesting debate, ultimately what matters if you can make shots in games. I see these "shot doctors" that are very specific on certain mechanics, that may conflict with other "shot doctors" mechanics. Obviously some flaws make it very hard to become a good shooter. My son used to be on AAU team that was partially coached by a successful D3 coach. A few times I heard him asked about fixing a kids mechanics, he replied that he was more interested in increasing the comfort zone and repeatable motions - what ever that means. One thing I have always observed is CONFIDENCE plays a huge role in shooting success. I have seen guys with bad form shoot better than kids with better form, because they always felt it was going in, and wanted the shot. I do think that Aidan looks like a confident shooter. Hoping this translates to our level!
I agree with this completely. At this point in a kids career, you are much better off working with what they have, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

Agree with you Homer. Always find it amazing that posters look at the highlight videos (where they literally make every shot taken) and proclaim, well golly he is a great shooter. Just look, he never misses.

I see a slow release, not a lot of elevation for a guy his side, feet often not set when shooting. He doesn't have terrible mechanics (were not talking Deion Taylor/Trey Davis here), but also not a Sherod/Brothers type stroke either.

So, yes, an average shooter. If he was a "great shooter", with his size/athleticism, more BCS teams would have been on him and Mooney would have inevitably lost out to one of them.

well, he certainly hasn't proven to NOT be a great shooter at 24-25 from the line and 7-14 from 3 last year at Moeller.

you can argue if he was that good he'd have pushed out someone and started as a junior instead of being 6th man. that may be true. good team though. and a lot of offers.

so in my amateur look a his shooting ... particularly in his junior year highlights and the open gym game ... I don't see a slow release. it's pretty quick. and his elevation is fine. the only quirk I don't love is he leans left. actually lands a little left. you usually want to land a little forward. but he's consistent with it and it seems to work for him.

well, he certainly hasn't proven to NOT be a great shooter at 24-25 from the line and 7-14 from 3 last year at Moeller.

you can argue if he was that good he'd have pushed out someone and started as a junior instead of being 6th man. that may be true. good team though. and a lot of offers.

so in my amateur look a his shooting ... particularly in his junior year highlights and the open gym game ... I don't see a slow release. it's pretty quick. and his elevation is fine. the only quirk I don't love is he leans left. actually lands a little left. you usually want to land a little forward. but he's consistent with it and it seems to work for him.
The fact that he only took 14 3's all last year underscores my point. He is averaging one 3 ball attempt, every other game. Yikes.

The fact that he only took 14 3's all last year underscores my point. He is averaging one 3 ball attempt, every other game. Yikes.
well yeah. he wasn't a starter. if you're not starting in a 32 minute high school game, you aren't getting many minutes or shots. but no, 7-14 doesn't underscore anything either way about his shooting. we can't extrapolate his 50% as if he'll do that on heavy volume. but I'd still rather see him 7-14 than 4-14.
24-25 from the line says something. doesn't guarantee range, but average shooters don't do that.

He averaged a 3PT attempt about every 19 minutes he was on the court..14 attempts in 264 minutes. So a little less frequently than Matt Grace who shot 14 in 226 minutes.

He averaged a 3PT attempt about every 19 minutes he was on the court..14 attempts in 264 minutes. So a little less frequently than Matt Grace who shot 14 in 226 minutes.
certainly didn't shoot much in his role.
7-14 from 3
21-36 from 2
24-25 from the line.
hopefully takes a lot more this year assuming a season.

we'd be more excited about Grace with any of those numbers.

high majors aren't going to recruit a kid with his numbers no matter what his potential might be. but kid had 17 offers including VCU. his stats don't tell the story yet. a lot of people see a lot of potential here.

I'm guessing he will have a much higher usage rate this season, so we should get some more meaningful stats. I will say, even in limited minutes, maybe in trash time, his slash line is very very good - 58/50/96. Wow. that is quite good no matter the level. Puts him a little above Larry Bird, Steph Curry, Steve Nash, Reggie Miller :) :) :) :) .

But in all seriousness those are nice percentages. The FT % I feel is a good indicator especially.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT