ADVERTISEMENT

Academic notes

UR business school dean to step down; will remain on faculty

https://www.richmond.com/business/l...cle_89a07e07-c773-58f4-acf2-06f48ee24999.html

Nancy A. Bagranoff, who has been dean of the University of Richmond's Robins School of Business since 2010, plans to step down from that position next year.

Her role as dean will end effective June 30, but Bagranoff plans to remain on the faculty as an accounting professor.

"The last few years in the Robins School of Business have been particularly successful, with a new strategic plan and new programs in entrepreneurship and business analytics," Bagranoff said. "After more than eight years as dean, it is a good time to relinquish leadership. I look forward to assuming the role of teacher-scholar and continuing my association with this wonderful school."

Bagranoff said in a 2010 article when she accepted the position at UR that she was looking forward most to spending time teaching. "I love to teach, " she said then.

Bagranoff has spent more than 35 years in academics.

She has been an instructor, assistant professor and professor, and department chair at schools including Virginia Commonwealth University, George Mason University, Miami University in Ohio and American University.

Before joining UR, she was at Old Dominion University's College of Business and Public Administration for seven years, where she was dean and professor of accounting.

Jeff Legro, UR's executive vice president and provost, said he was delighted that Bagranoff will return to the faculty next year.

"Under her energetic direction, the business school has grown the number of students, expanded its academic programs, and implemented new initiatives that better educate our students and prepare them for satisfying careers," Legro said.

The Robins School of Business is the largest undergraduate academic unit at the University of Richmond.

Bagranoff earned a bachelor's degree in marketing from Ohio State University, a master's in accounting from Syracuse University, and a doctoral degree in accounting and information systems from George Washington University.

She has held multiple leadership roles with the American Accounting Association, including serving as its president.

Last edited:
https://spiderpride.richmond.edu/ar...ges.html?sma=sm.0000elx8ru1a22djqw8ihtbqx9k1g

https://www.collegeconsensus.com/rankings/most-innovative-colleges/

#6 rank in underrated colleges doing great things. UR has been climbing national rankings for its academics a lot the past several years. Yet, I feel like we are still underrated. We should strive to be top 15 in liberal arts colleges and top 50 liberal arts colleges/national universities in the country
Yep!

It was really interesting to see the student breakdown in the UofR Mag. 28% of alumni live in the RVa area, and 47% live in Virginia -- so a lot of students come to Va, and stay after graduation.

Reactions: urfan1
It was really interesting to see the student breakdown in the UofR Mag. 28% of alumni live in the RVa area, and 47% live in Virginia -- so a lot of students come to Va, and stay after graduation.
I certainly would have had my first job not taken me elsewhere. I loved living in Richmond. Now, after so long on the West Coast, it would be a very difficult relocation.

Are you hearing this FRS?

Yes I do! We sill need more students from our Beloved Commonwealth IMO! Plus, while I realize it won't happen, I'd love to see a return of General Spidey!
What if the truth revealed that General Spidey for the last 30 to 40 years has been a closet JMU fan, having deserted the Spiders for what he considered greener pastures once the writing was on the wall?

Reactions: Spiderwiz
What if the truth revealed that General Spidey for the last 30 to 40 years has been a closet JMU fan, having deserted the Spiders for what he considered greener pastures once the writing was on the wall?
General Spidey did not go over to the darkside aka JMU. He was swept away when UR succumbed to the cancer of political correctness!

Commencement and the coronavirus
Ronald A. Crutcher column: A letter to students
  • By Ronald A. Crutcher
  • 2 hrs ago

University of Richmond President Ronald A. Crutcher delivered remarks at the school’s commencement in May 2018.

• University of Richmond

Dear Class of 2020,

I am so sorry.

This pandemic is taking a lot from you and, indeed, from all of us. My heart goes out to you as you strive to adapt to new ways of learning and connecting with one another, while missing the campuses you call home.

Your generation’s formative years have been bookended by crises. So many of you were born in the years just prior to the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. You entered your teenage years just about the time of the Great Recession. You have come of age in an era of unprecedented technological advancement, where we are both more — and less — connected to one another than ever before.

Now, we face another cataclysmic moment — an unprecedented public health crisis — that has upended the way we live, work and learn together at an unfathomable pace. I imagine it must feel as if the rest of senior year has been “cancelled,” and I grieve with you and feel your pain — and anger — over the loss of more time together and the chance to say goodbye.

I am so sorry you will miss living and learning alongside your friends and peers, whether it’s solving the world’s problems over brunch in the university’s dining hall, or relaxing together on the quad on a sunny day or studying in the library together — perhaps stealing a laugh from the silence with your friends.

I am so sorry you will miss working side-by-side with your professors, whether it’s discussing a philosophical quandary, or perfecting your intonation or chatting about your future during office hours as you prepare for life beyond our gates.

And I am so sorry we had to postpone commencement, when family, friends, faculty and staff all join together to honor you and cheer you as you stride across the stage triumphantly to receive your diploma. This, above all else, breaks my heart.

For some of you, graduating from college was an expectation. For others, it was a dream. But for all of you, commencement is an important rite of passage you have earned and deserve, symbolizing at once both an end and a new beginning. As I speak to fellow university presidents across the country, please know that we are thinking about how to reunite you, celebrate you and thank you for your understanding, resilience and resolve.

The Latin writer Publilius Syrus once wrote, “Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.” The challenge is to hold your grip firm when the storm comes. Class of 2020, you have unexpectedly found yourself on a tempest-tossed ship, navigating a world in which the rhythms of our lives have been profoundly reshaped. But as you have worked with us to leave campus and adapt to remote instruction, you have steered through the battering waves with remarkable inner strength. You will always be a special class for us, known for your grit and ability to weather difficult circumstances, the exact type of people I want by my side when the storm comes.

Class of 2020, please know we aren’t going anywhere. We will see you and your families again to celebrate your achievements, to toast your friendships, and to thank your faculty and staff mentors.

This is not the end of your story. As a musician, I think of this moment as a fermata — an unexpected pause before the music continues.

Sincerely,

Ronald A. Crutcher

Reactions: VT4700 and KWeaver
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT