ADVERTISEMENT

Academic notes

S_Africa_Group.jpg

General 05/10/2018 Matt McCollester

Four Spider Student-Athletes To Take Educational Journey To South Africa
RICHMOND, Va. – Leadership, education and social justice are the common themes that four University of Richmond student-athletes will explore in an educational and cultural journey to Cape Town, South Africa. Junior football student-athlete Kevin Johnson, sophomore men's basketball student-athlete Nick Sherod, freshman women's basketball student-athlete Alex Parson and junior women's track student-athlete Marshea Robinson will spend May 16-27 exploring South Africa and the United Arab Emirates.

"We are excited about this collaboration with our colleagues in the Office of International Education," Vice President and Director of Athletics John Hardtsaid. "Providing opportunities such as this visit to South Africa, affords our Spider student-athletes with the educational and cultural opportunities to experience another area of the world, while still being able to maintain their training commitments to their varsity programs. For our student-athletes, this program is truly a welcomed opportunity to expand their educational horizons."

Inspired by the University of Richmond's Faculty Seminar in South Africa and being an integral experience of the Spider Athletics Leadership Initiative, these student-athletes will tour local historical and cultural sites to explore the dynamics within Cape Town and South Africa. This group, accompanied by Associate Director of Academic Support for Athletics Courtney Hughes, will focus upon Nelson Mandela and his commingling of leadership and social justice. A tour of Robben Island and the District Six Museum will spearhead the groups discussion.

"I am extremely excited for the opportunity to travel to South Africa this month, as this has been a dream of mine ever since I was young," Robinson said. "I have always felt attached to Africa in some way. Being an African-American and learning about the history in our textbooks drew me to the continent. In fact, in high school I read Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom, and I dreamt of someday meeting Mandela in-person. Although this will never happen, I am grateful for the chance to learn more about South Africa and Nelson Mandela, and visit some of the locations he spoke about in his book."

While in South Africa, the group will make another Spider connection almost 8,000 miles from campus. Richmond alum and former Spider student-athlete Justin Grove (men's soccer 2007-11 – International Studies) owns and operates the Grove Soccer Academy, which has multiple facilities in the world. The Spiders will visit one of Grove's academies in South Africa, taking the time to meet with students and attend a training session.

"I am extremely excited for the opportunity to take this trip," Johnson said. "Having the ability to travel to the United Arab Emirates and South Africa is a once in a lifetime experience and I am grateful to the University of Richmond for allowing us four student-athletes to immerse ourselves in those cultures. I am looking forward to opening my world up to those cultures and learning as much as I can during our time overseas."

Tours of local townships and museums surrounding the historical significance of apartheid is included in this exploration. The group will also visit The University of Cape Town to meet and share experiences with students from the region. Finally, the Spider student-athletes will spend time engaging with University of Richmond faculty in South Africa, creating an academic opportunity to share, discuss and reflect upon their journey.

"When I was first asked if I wanted to go, I did not hesitate at all" Parson said. "I think I'm most looking forward to learning more about leadership, social justice, and the intersection of the two and its application. This trip is sure to be life changing and full of discovery. I hope to gain an understanding of individual differences, societal differences, cultural differences, but also all those similarities and how to value all of it."

Additionally, a layover in United Arab Emirates will allow the group to immerse themselves into the human rights and social justice issues presented in the cities of Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

In preparation for this journey, the selected student-athletes have done pre-work researching their common themes and have meet with faculty to set the stage. Once back in the Richmond, these student-athletes would reintroduce their deepened perspectives about leadership, education and social justice into our own environment.

"The one thing I hope to take away from my time overseas is the chance to have some historical context about apartheid and just how powerful Nelson Mandela's vision was and the impact that people can have when they are all unified," Sherod said.

S_Africa_Group.jpg

General 05/10/2018 Matt McCollester

Four Spider Student-Athletes To Take Educational Journey To South Africa
RICHMOND, Va. – Leadership, education and social justice are the common themes that four University of Richmond student-athletes will explore in an educational and cultural journey to Cape Town, South Africa. Junior football student-athlete Kevin Johnson, sophomore men's basketball student-athlete Nick Sherod, freshman women's basketball student-athlete Alex Parson and junior women's track student-athlete Marshea Robinson will spend May 16-27 exploring South Africa and the United Arab Emirates.

"We are excited about this collaboration with our colleagues in the Office of International Education," Vice President and Director of Athletics John Hardtsaid. "Providing opportunities such as this visit to South Africa, affords our Spider student-athletes with the educational and cultural opportunities to experience another area of the world, while still being able to maintain their training commitments to their varsity programs. For our student-athletes, this program is truly a welcomed opportunity to expand their educational horizons."

Inspired by the University of Richmond's Faculty Seminar in South Africa and being an integral experience of the Spider Athletics Leadership Initiative, these student-athletes will tour local historical and cultural sites to explore the dynamics within Cape Town and South Africa. This group, accompanied by Associate Director of Academic Support for Athletics Courtney Hughes, will focus upon Nelson Mandela and his commingling of leadership and social justice. A tour of Robben Island and the District Six Museum will spearhead the groups discussion.

"I am extremely excited for the opportunity to travel to South Africa this month, as this has been a dream of mine ever since I was young," Robinson said. "I have always felt attached to Africa in some way. Being an African-American and learning about the history in our textbooks drew me to the continent. In fact, in high school I read Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom, and I dreamt of someday meeting Mandela in-person. Although this will never happen, I am grateful for the chance to learn more about South Africa and Nelson Mandela, and visit some of the locations he spoke about in his book."

While in South Africa, the group will make another Spider connection almost 8,000 miles from campus. Richmond alum and former Spider student-athlete Justin Grove (men's soccer 2007-11 – International Studies) owns and operates the Grove Soccer Academy, which has multiple facilities in the world. The Spiders will visit one of Grove's academies in South Africa, taking the time to meet with students and attend a training session.

"I am extremely excited for the opportunity to take this trip," Johnson said. "Having the ability to travel to the United Arab Emirates and South Africa is a once in a lifetime experience and I am grateful to the University of Richmond for allowing us four student-athletes to immerse ourselves in those cultures. I am looking forward to opening my world up to those cultures and learning as much as I can during our time overseas."

Tours of local townships and museums surrounding the historical significance of apartheid is included in this exploration. The group will also visit The University of Cape Town to meet and share experiences with students from the region. Finally, the Spider student-athletes will spend time engaging with University of Richmond faculty in South Africa, creating an academic opportunity to share, discuss and reflect upon their journey.

"When I was first asked if I wanted to go, I did not hesitate at all" Parson said. "I think I'm most looking forward to learning more about leadership, social justice, and the intersection of the two and its application. This trip is sure to be life changing and full of discovery. I hope to gain an understanding of individual differences, societal differences, cultural differences, but also all those similarities and how to value all of it."

Additionally, a layover in United Arab Emirates will allow the group to immerse themselves into the human rights and social justice issues presented in the cities of Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

In preparation for this journey, the selected student-athletes have done pre-work researching their common themes and have meet with faculty to set the stage. Once back in the Richmond, these student-athletes would reintroduce their deepened perspectives about leadership, education and social justice into our own environment.

"The one thing I hope to take away from my time overseas is the chance to have some historical context about apartheid and just how powerful Nelson Mandela's vision was and the impact that people can have when they are all unified," Sherod said.
What an outstanding education these kids are getting at UR; it’s worth a lot!

they should all be required to read michener's THE COVENANT before arriving, a great history of that land.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulla1
Dubai_Group_2.jpg

Spiders Take On Abu Dhabi - Blog Post #1
General
Posted: 05/18/2018
Junior football student-athlete Kevin Johnson, sophomore men's basketball student-athlete Nick Sherod, freshman women's basketball student-athlete Alex Parson and junior women's track student-athlete Marshea Robinson will spend May 16-27 exploring South Africa and the United Arab Emirates. Throughout their trip, the student-athletes will be reporting back to www.RichmondSpiders.com with blogs documentiging their journey.

Blog Number One – By Marshea and Alex

Today, May 16th, was the first day of travel for our group in route to the UAE and South Africa. Already, at only the completion of our first full day, it has been quite the adventure. We left the University of Richmond Wednesday morning at 6:00 a.m. and after a few hours we eventually arrived to Dulles Airport, where we finally made it through security, with only a few small missteps involving scissors and peanut butter. Then, we were on our way to endure…we mean enjoy, a long, excruciating 13 hour flight. Emirates Airlines did take good care of us, as we ate, napped, and enjoyed a few movies via our personal screens. As we approached Dubai, we could feel the warm air filling through the ventilators and the excitement flowing through our veins. The anticipation was great, and we finally arrived in Dubai at 7:30 a.m. on Thursday morning. Without much sleep, our adrenaline was in full force, excited to see what the day held for us. As we departed customs in the Dubai airport, we found our tour guide and driver holding a sign to welcome us, and just like that, we were on our way to tour Abu Dhabi.

After a day full of activities, our most memorable experience was visiting the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi, and learning about the historical significance behind the beautiful architecture. Before entering the Grand Mosque, all the women had to wear abaya and hijab to respect the culture of the Muslim individuals who come to the Mosque to pray. They believe women should be covered, only showing their skin to their husbands. As we were outfitting with our traditional robbing, the males entered the mosque through a separate entrance, as we were able to follow our tour guide through the female entrance. Additionally, it was the first day of Ramadan, so attention to customs was heightened. Immediately, we noticed the differences between the men and the women, both in dress and treatment. Women had a strict dress code whereas the males were free to wear normal clothing, with only the exclusion of shorts. The limitations were much stricter for women than men, but we further noticed this while we learned about the prayer routine. In the mosque, Muslim prayers face toward the Mecca when they pray and men are told to sit in the front in one room while the women and children are placed to the back. The placement allows for women to escape in order to care for crying children, but it also demonstrates the power complex that exists in Abu Dhabi. Men are placed in front of women, and they have much more freedom in their life decisions. We look forward to examining more gender roles and power complexes throughout our investigation of social justice issues in not only the United Arab Emirates, but also in South Africa.

Our visit to Abu Dhabi today also included many other cultural sites, such as the Louve Abu Dhabi, Emirates Palace, and the Formula One Yas Marina Circuit Track to name a few, but Ms. Courtney's connection to the Director of Athletics on the campus of NYU Abu Dhabi allowed us to be fortunate enough to experience a college campus visit in another country where the curriculum is different, the level of athletic competition of varied, and diversity within the community of NYU Abu Dahbi is great. Athletic Director Peter Dicce greeted us warmly while he provided a tour of the campus and even ate lunch with us in the dining hall, answering many of our question about the function of a university in such a unique part of the world. At the conclusion of this meeting, we traded a little swag, making sure to leave Mr. Dicce with some Spider gear to remember us by.

Our tour around the capital of the United Arab Emirates certainly increased our knowledge by allowing us to learn about the historical significance of different buildings and the history of The UAE. We noticed subtle differences in societal norms in comparison to U.S. norms, in addition to very overt differences. It seemed that some people were unaware of their spatial awareness and while walking in the Mosque it was most noticeable with such a big crowd of people. It was just interesting to see something so little become such a big deal because we are so accustomed to personal space. The weather is quite hot in The UAE, and due to Ramadan being a month of fasting, we had to also respect this belief by not eating or drinking in public. As much as we often wanted to take a small sip of our water bottles in public, it was certainly frowned upon. Additionally, many restaurants are closed until the night time, thus making our visit to NYU Abu Dhabi even more convenient.

Tonight, we visited The Dubai Mall, which is the largest mall in the world. We made it just in time to see the light and fountain show which resembles that of the Bellagio's in Las Vegas. The show began right at 11:00 p.m. as we sat and ate our Italian food from a restaurant called Scoozi. We watched the water fly high into the sky as Whitney Huston's "I'll Always Love You" played in the background. It was a sight to remember, with the tallest building in the world looming over us, The Burj Khalifa. Afterward, we continued to search for our favorite stores inside the mall. At times we felt like we were lost because yes, it is THAT big. Or, we may just be suffering from slight sleep deprivation as a result of the jet lag and an 8 hour time difference. Only day one, and today felt like a dream. We are making the best of all the time we have here and cannot wait to continue to fill you in on our day to day activities and observations.

Last edited:
5b0c8c88cd2b3.image.jpg

University of Richmond student returning home to Kenya to build town's first library
Justin Mattingly·Yesterday

When Mike Kitimet walked into Boatwright Memorial Library as a University of Richmond freshman, he knew that's what he wanted.

He'd seen libraries before, but not like this. The expansive study space, exhaustive book collection and computers were a world apart from the small library at his high school, two hours from his hometown in Kenya.

"It was just a new experience altogether," he said.

Now, the rising senior is trying to bring that feeling home.

Kitimet, 23, leaves Richmond on Friday to travel back to Kiserian, a settlement southwest of the country's capital city of Nairobi, to build a library for elementary and middle school students - the first of its kind for the town.

"To have a place outside of class where they can go and study or just read, that's what I want," he said. "I really want to give these kids an opportunity to expand their horizons and achieve higher education, which many of them lack."

Growing up in Kiserian, Kitimet had to travel to a neighboring town - a 30-minute drive - for access to books. There is no library for any grade level in his hometown.

The effort is supported by a $10,000 Projects for Peace grant, an initiative named for the late humanitarian Kathryn W. Davis that aims to help youth empower and uplift communities.

Kiserian, the name of the settlement that lies at the foot of the Ngong Hills, loosely translates in English to "a place of peace." Kitimet's project will bring services to an estimated 600 elementary and middle school students.

"They're not well-prepared for high school and, if they don't have a good foundation, they won't be able to matriculate past high school," Kitimet said. "This library will help build that foundation for these kids."

He added: "I was able to maneuver the system, but many of the kids back home don't have those same opportunities. Hopefully, this facility will help their academic empowerment."

Kitimet first came to the U.S. in 2013, spending a year at a high school in Indiana. He returned to Kenya and finished high school, but first got involved with the Equity Group Foundation, an East African foundation based in Nairobi.

He found out about the University of Richmond through the foundation and was set on coming to Virginia after getting a strong financial aid package.

"I had been to Indiana and experienced the Midwest," he said. "I wanted a different experience."

In his time at the University of Richmond, he's become a Bonner Scholar, one of 25 students chosen to intern 10 hours a week at one organization in exchange for financial assistance to help their civic engagement, and an Oliver Hill Scholar, participating in "culturally stimulating activities" with other "academically accomplished, intellectually curious students who are interested in building a community of learners within a multicultural environment."

Kitimet majors in mathematics with a minor in economics.
When Kathy Hoke, a math professor at UR, thinks of Kitimet, she sees him raising his hand and always answering questions.

Hoke had Kitimet in class during his freshman year and recalled how he would always volunteer in class and wasn't afraid to make mistakes.
"He stands out as a leader in the classroom," said Hoke, adding that he works well with others. "He thinks in a big way."
It didn't surprise Hoke when she found out about Kitimet's library project. She knew she had to help.

Along with other math professors, Hoke purchased books and donated others from around her house to the cause. In total, Kitimet collected more than 700 books, 30 to 40 of which came from Hoke.

He shipped them off to Kenya this month, where they'll be waiting when he arrives this week.
Kitimet has a space in a local school secured for the library. He'll need to redo the floor and put up bookshelves while also training student staff members - he wants it to run like a university library.

The construction shouldn't take more than 21/2 months, he said. Once complete, he'll return to Richmond for his senior year, where, if all goes well, he'll be collecting more books for an expansion of the library.

"I consider myself successful today because of education," he said. "Education is the most powerful tool somebody can use to transform the world."

So proud of our university, it diversity, athletics and academic accomplishments.

So proud of our university, it diversity, athletics and academic accomplishments.

Nice.

The University of Richmond received additional accolades on the following ranking lists:

#4 Best Career Services

#5 Best Classroom Experience

#8 Most Beautiful Campus

#10 Best Quality of Life

#10 Best Athletic Facilities

#11 Best College Library

#11 Lots of Greek Life

#12 Most Popular Study Abroad Program

#13 Best Health Services

#16 Best Campus Food

Other notable rankings we received that the UR news aricle didn’t include for some reason:

#3 Best schools for internships

#39 Top colleges that pay you back

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT