ADVERTISEMENT

A10 Women’s Final - 4pm Sunday versus Rhody

Rhody playing its fourth game in four days, most likely would have lost today if a SLU starter hadn't almost broken her neck two minutes in. I have a feeling our ladies are going to run them right out of the gym tomorrow.

Reactions: urfan1
The most complete WBB team I have seen since ~2008-2011, where fate was an incredibly cruel mistress to that squad and 2k scorer Brittani Shells—who never got to dance. Let’s get Spider WBB back dancing like the years under Coach Boyle!

I thought Roussell had a good chance of being successful here, but to be honest, when he was hired I looked at some of the gaudy records his teams put up at his other stops and didn't think he'd quite be able to match them. But dang it if we're not going to end this season with only 6 losses (or 5 if we win the whole darn thing!).

That was a thorough ass-kicking. We did exactly what we should have done with a tired team like that. I think Rhody is still throwing up bricks. That was a putrid display of shooting but we had a lot to do with it. We have a really fun team to watch.

Reactions: mr.spider
You'd think giving up 23 offensive boards, taking 21 fewer shots, and losing the turnover battle by 5 would be a recipe for a loss. But with a shooting disparity like that, it was all Spiders.

Yeah, they took a lot more shots because they kept missing, reminding them, missing, rebounding, missing even worse.

Not my voice ... I was pretty subdued .. still trying to get over what I witnessed in Fairfax.
Spoke to some of the men, they seem hungry liked the idea of a reset . One of parents of one of our ladies said his daughter told him the two teams got along well, very supportive.

The we are UR got started on non-bench side of court.

President Hallock was present and cheering at all 3 games, very supportive of our athletes. I think that has some to do with our recent success. BTW announced today was his birthday.

I've never been more proud of a team at U of R in a long time. Watched the seniors start out as Coach's new recruits and develop into a strong team in the conference. They were the class of the conference this year. On to the big dance and hope for a good draw.

Curious if any of them decide to come back for another go-around next year. Believe Budnik, Townsend, Ryan, and Lewandowski all have an extra year if they want it. Camden should be able to on a medical redshirt if she's cleared. VanArsdale is definitely out of eligibility, and I think Parker is too unless the fact she only played in two early games her freshman year was due to a medical redshirt.

We signed three incoming frosh in the fall, so we need at least one spot beyond VanArsdale and Parker to open up. The Camden injury caused the issue, as this was supposed to be her final year. We'll see how it plays out!

Reactions: Eight Legger
Great win. Hardt caught some grief here for supposedly just hiring his friend instead of doing an exhaustive search. Seems as if he chose wisely.
One of few things he's done right and if he isn't doing everything to keep Coach Roussell happy and actually continue to build Spider WBB into a powerhouse it should be, then I will [redacted] that [redacted] [redacted]. We were stuck for too long with coaches who were complacent with being exceptionally mid in a sport that has never been more popular and continues to gain popularity and viewers (and donors!).

If Hardt can't see the power of investing in women's sports at a school like Richmond, then he's stuck like a [redacted] [redacted] in the mud and needs to GTFOH. We shouldn't be anything but leaders in this space at this incredible moment nationwide.

It did seem like a lazy hire by Hardt at the time, even though Roussell certainly had a nice resume that I think we were all excited about. But yes, in retrospect, it was an excellent hire, and I hope we are rewarding him for what he's done. (Side note: I didn't realize he was also an Iowa grad like Hardt.)

I am not going to get into an argument about Hardt. He is obviously very unpopular here and i have a friend who was an administrator in the department who did not like him at all.

That said:

In the past year we have won conference championships in men’s basketball, women’s basketball, football, men’s lacrosse, women’s lacrosse, and women’s golf. Indoor track & field and swimming took second iat their conference championships last month.

Somebody in that department has to be doing something right.

Great to see most of the Men'a team be present. Quinn and Walz were on their feet a good amount of the game.
Great run by the ladies. I'll admit to not following too closely, and getting most of my info from this board. Will say I have been impressed whenever I have watched a Roussell interview over the years. He just seems to "get it", has a plan, and very relatable. Let's now have a mens and womens NCAA party.

And my first point was actually going to be A) great to see the cross support from mens team and B) Hope no one was sitting in the couple rows behind Quinn and Walz :)

Women might have a great opportunity coming up in NCAA tourney because they are such a 3 point reliant team - if they get the right matchup- they could produce an upset.

One matchup that would be great - VA Tech. Tech is clearly without their best player and 3 time ACC Player of the year - Elizabeth Kitley. By all accounts - looks like she will miss NCAA tourney and VA Tech is keeping quiet so that it doesn't effect their seeding too much.

But given that first round NCAA games are played at higher seeds hosting 2 games, and because of that - Travel does become a factor - I think we could see UR playing in Blacksburg, and if that is the case - you gotta hope they play VA Tech - who is ripe for an upset at this point. I believe this would require VA Tech to hold a 4 seed and UR a 13, but that would be okay by me as I think this would give the girls a good chance to beat the Hokies, given their injury.

I don't see any way the Spiders end up as a 13. They're closer to an 11 than they are a 13.

I don't see any way the Spiders end up as a 13. They're closer to an 11 than they are a 13.
I Agree - they likely end up in the 11-13 range. But I think given that women's tourney games are played at home sites, would they slide a team down 1 seed (from a 12 to 13) to impact travel. You would like to think the answer is No. But I got a feeling with women's hoops - it might just happen.

I just think VA Tech is a shell of themselves without their best player, and with our ability to shoot and make 3's - that could be an upset we could take. And with NCAA tourney all about matchups, less about seed - I would be just fine if the girls got a 13 seed and that meant they got VA TECH in the first round.

Reactions: WCUR11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT