ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Richmond Spiders Football - Opponents Countdown - Wofford

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

this home opener at The Brick House sets up pretty much like last year's opener against Morgan State...

the Terriers are rebuilding after three very disappointing seasons and picked to finish in 8th place in the nine team Southern Conference...in fact Coach Rocco's VMI squad is picked to finish in 7th ahead of Wofford...

the Spiders are projected to finish 2nd in the CAA and are nationally ranked in several FCS polls...I expect we'll be solid double digit favorites...maybe even 20+ points again?

what could go wrong? the Terriers may be better than expected...they return 16 starters...nine players were on the SOCON Preseason All Conference teams (5 on 1st Team)...they did defeat #2 ranked Furman in last season final game...but the biggest factor is likely to be the level at which Richmond plays...

there are lot's of returning Spiders who were on the field, or sidelines, last season when Morgan State, a 20+ point underdog shocked and embarrassed us...there's no way that could happen again is there?!...

I expect Richmond to play hard and well in this one...no one wants to be a part of a generational upset two years in a row....the Spiders should take care of business...

enjoy the Countdown!

Go Spiders!

Clawson 2007 team v Wofford.Was there in Spartanburg.

Last edited:
Richardson's life story and philanthropy are very impressive and generous...I do like those Hardee's breakfast biscuits...do they really get up at 4AM to bake them?...when I was at UR there was a Hardees on Parham Rd. roughly across the road from where Grove Ave. Baptist church is today...we wore that place out...if you arrived just before closing sometimes they would give you the unsold fries...one of Hardees best kept secrets still available today their chilli dogs!

Go Spiders!

Clawson 2007 team v Wofford.Was there in Spartanburg.
That game was a sign Clawson's Spiders were ready to become National Championship contenders!

Go Spiders!

Wofford has 2 - 1st Team, 2 - 2nd Team and 2- 3rd Team All SoCon players returning. A quick glance showed all are Seniors and Juniors
That kind of experience would lead me to believe they are underestimated if picked 8th in the Southern Conference unless the offense is so bad the defense stays on the field 40 minutes per game.

Wofford has 2 - 1st Team, 2 - 2nd Team and 2- 3rd Team All SoCon players returning. A quick glance showed all are Seniors and Juniors
That kind of experience would lead me to believe they are underestimated if picked 8th in the Southern Conference unless the offense is so bad the defense stays on the field 40 minutes per game.

“…6. Wofford (2-9, 2-6) – The Terriers may be flying under the radar. Running back Ryan Ingram (150 carries, 832 yards, six TDs), tight end Jordan Davis, defensive lineman Brandon Maina, linebacker David Powers (team-high 102 tackles) and defensive back Maximus Pilley all made the All-SoCon preseason first team. Add in four second-team selections, and the nine marked the program’s highest total since 2019. Quarterback Pauly Seeley V made five starts…”

“…6. Wofford (2-9, 2-6) – The Terriers may be flying under the radar. Running back Ryan Ingram (150 carries, 832 yards, six TDs), tight end Jordan Davis, defensive lineman Brandon Maina, linebacker David Powers (team-high 102 tackles) and defensive back Maximus Pilley all made the All-SoCon preseason first team. Add in four second-team selections, and the nine marked the program’s highest total since 2019. Quarterback Pauly Seeley V made five starts…”
kinda like Morgan State?...there are enough guys on the roster who remember that embarrassing performance...can't let that happen again!

Go Spiders!

Score roundup for tonight...

Spider opponents:
- Delaware leads Bryant 41–10 heading into the 4th
- Wake defeats NC A&T 45–13
- Wofford defeats Gardner-Webb 21–20
- W&M throttles VMI 41–7

Other CAA:
- Villanova with a nice win over Youngstown State 24–17
- UCF defeats New Hampshire 57–3
- Monmouth trails Eastern Washington 28–14 at the half

From AGS SoCon thread

“…
Since folks in the CAA thread are picking Richmond without much commentary, I will give the bull case for Wofford and the bear case against Richmond, starting with the latter.

First of all, Richmond wasn’t an obvious playoff team for me last year. Maybe this is a hindsight is 20-20 thing, but hear me out. They finished the regular season 8-3, but played no team in the regular season that ended up winning more than 6 games. 4 of the teams they played combined for a record of 4-39 (all wins). They lost to 2 teams who finished the season below .500. They didn’t play, let alone beat, any of the top CAA teams during the regular season, and when they did, they were routed by Albany.

If you take an average team and gave them this schedule (beat 4 bad teams, and 6 teams sitting at 5-6 or 6-5), that average team would finish no worse than 7-3 on average 50% of the time (beating the 4 bad teams and splitting the average teams), so richmond finishing 8-2 isn’t indicative of being super good.

They didn’t even break the top 25 in STATS until playoff time, which tells me had they lost to either of elon or w&m they probably wouldn’t have made the playoffs. And before someone says “and W&M/elon would have taken their place”….no. Just no. Elon would have been on the bubble and maybe gotten in on SOS OOC quality losses, but if william and mary converted their 2 point conversion on rivalry weekend, both would have sat home.

And then when I look at the stats from last season or the UVA game (with lots of salt, though UVA isn’t a powerhouse) there’s nothing on either side of the ball that screams dominance. Their QBs are a step down from Reece Udinski, and though a Russ Huesman team will feature a running QB prominently, this team doesn’t appear to light up the rush stats like those Chattanooga teams a decade ago. Huesman is a defensive guy at heart and i see the spiders running a lot of 4 man fronts this year (noticing a lot more of this at the fcs level recently with GW and Samford this weekend too), and I guess you could say overall the defense isn’t bad. But the last 4-6 games the Spiders haven’t been all that good on defense statistically, especially compared to the 4ish games where they played those awful 1-10 teams.

Obviously, all of this is caveated with the fact that it’s a brand new year and last year isn’t this year. But I feel confident in saying, regardless of the outcome this week, I’m not confident Richmond is a top 15 team.

The bull case for Wofford is pretty simple. We’re just better Our defense was pretty stellar last year, and will have less of a learning curve in year 2 of the system. We brought back most of our 2 deeps and got better in the portal. Against GW, we looked pretty good against the run, and only gave up 20 when we spotted the running bulldogs field position at the 40 or better for 3 of their scores (13 points).

And, to be frank, I don’t like taking high stakes bets personally (anything greater than $50 for me), but I would bet a lot of money that our offense this year will be much better this year as long as Odom is running the show and staying healthy. Last year our offense was pathetic, and we could really only score points if we got lucky or the other team got unlucky. On Thursday, it was the inverse, as we left anywhere from 13 to 17 points on the field by making mistakes like penalties and dropped passes (which will happen in August). That stuff is going to get cleaned up.

In the last month of the season last year, Wofford struggled, but without much of an offense, the last 4 games we beat Furman, won another game, pushed a top 20 Western team, and though i won’t pretend the mercer game was super competitive, we only lost by 2 TDs (and non-offensive touchdowns were the difference). Odom only played against Furman.

All of that said, believing in Wofford after the last 4 years is a gamble. There’s no conclusive reason to think we can win 2 straight. The safe pick is Richmond, for sure. But if you really think this will be a blowout, I don’t think you’ve paid enough attention to either team...”

• Wow
Reactions: mojo-spider
Wickersham has always been a big question for me with vertical passing. Everything for the most
part is short. Great 20 yd pass to the WR and to TE but other than that he passed all short. Wofford
strategy is stop the run and make him pass which I think is a good strategy. Fake FG should have been
stopped.

Reactions: Dr. Spidey
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT