ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Baseball Season

Spiders are indeed keeping the pressure on, having scored in every inning so far. 2-run single by O'Keefe in the 4th and now a 2-run homer by Pacheco in the 5th pushes the lead to 10–1!

Reactions: urfan1
Another instance of an error coming back to bite the Spiders, as Roche bobbled the transfer from glove to hand on an easy comebacker that would have been the final out of the 5th, and then the Hawks get a 2-run blast. Still 10–3, but no lead is safe it seems.

Roche did his job well enough...three innings to go and Topolski is on the mound. Spiders up 11–4.

Topolski gives up Cesarini's second bomb of the night to make it 11–5, but otherwise a quick inning.

Still a decent cushion, of course, but let's try to get that one back.

Edit: The Spiders do just that and more, working Lass around to score on an O'Keefe single and then O'Keefe coming all the way around on a Larson double to make it 13–5.

Edit 2: Oops, Hawk fielder lets the ball go under his glove on an easy grounder and Larson comes in to score, 14–5.

Last edited:
Clean 8th for Topolski...one more inning separates the Spiders from a rematch with VCU!

Spiders win, 14–6!

VCU at noon tomorrow. If we win that one, we'll have to play them again right after.

Excellent effort fighting back tonight. Obviously it is a huge order to sweep a good VCU team tomorrow, and I'm not expecting it to happen, but it's baseball and you really never know.

Tall order before us today, but regardless of how this works out it has been a fun season that exceeded expectations. Aoki has taken a good first step with the team and look forward to continuing improvement and relevance.

Go Spiders!

Excellent effort fighting back tonight. Obviously it is a huge order to sweep a good VCU team tomorrow, and I'm not expecting it to happen, but it's baseball and you really never know.

Vcu has kind of been the bully in baseball too just like hoops. Going for their 4th ncaa just since moving to A10. Yeah sweeping today will be hard but we don’t expect it to happen bc it’s vcu-ur too, which sucks.

Yeah, two years ago we lost to them in the opener, then ran off four in a row from the losers bracket to get back to the final round where we lost to them again.

Reactions: TobiasCatsup
We should've just given them our lunch money last night and saved ourselves the beating. Some things never change.

Rally caps for the bottom of the 9th...we only need 15 to send it to extras or 16 to win it right here.

And that does it for the Spider season. Competitive in the A-10 with a few ugly results, mostly mid-week games with not enough arms to keep things competitive, but overall a decent start to the Aoki era and something to build on. We've certainly got some talent. I'm concerned we'll be hit by the transfer portal again, but not much we can do other than keep landing the best guys we can and hope they want to stick around.

16-1 final. Disappointing but not surprising. Proud of our season, especially after our slow start. Aoki exceeded expectations year 1. Got to focus now on retaining our top talent and hit the recruiting trail. If we want to get over the hump and make the NCAAs again, we’re going to need significant pitching depth. Aoki did well with transfers looking to play up a level.

Roche did his job well enough...three innings to go and Topolski is on the mound. Spiders up 11–4.
If he is well enough to pitch, he is well enough to hit 3 pointers…

J/k

Still, 2 6’8” guys on baseball roster?

Our women's basketball team has beaten VCU 4 of 6 in the last three years, was the A-10 regular-season and tournament champion this year and made it to the A-10 tournament championship in 2023. We have a much better program than they do.
I can’t speak on this, but 4-2 is hardly dominant. And our conference title was the first in how many years? I am glad to see that they are definitely on the upswing. A good hire for sure.

Great job by the team, the coaching staff and Coach Aoki to grow into the season and finish strong. Started off pretty shaky but the team would rally and come together. Looking forward to the next couple of years when he gets this machine rolling...hopefully.

I can’t speak on this, but 4-2 is hardly dominant. And our conference title was the first in how many years? I am glad to see that they are definitely on the upswing. A good hire for sure.
Yes, it was our first title in who knows how many years. But that wasn't your point. Your point was, only two of our teams were routinely better than VCU's. You said nothing about being dominant.

Women's hoops has been routinely better than VCU over the past three years. That's a lifetime in college athletics these days.

And that does it for the Spider season. Competitive in the A-10 with a few ugly results, mostly mid-week games with not enough arms to keep things competitive, but overall a decent start to the Aoki era and something to build on. We've certainly got some talent. I'm concerned we'll be hit by the transfer portal again, but not much we can do other than keep landing the best guys we can and hope they want to stick around.
Probably from an administration standpoint - this team met expectations perfectly. They "competed". That is the key word.

Yes, it was our first title in who knows how many years. But that wasn't your point. Your point was, only two of our teams were routinely better than VCU's. You said nothing about being dominant.

Women's hoops has been routinely better than VCU over the past three years. That's a lifetime in college athletics these days.
Dominant..routinely better…I don’t see much of a difference. We won 4, they won 2 over a short span. Remove this year and we are 2-2 over the previous two years. Over the past ten years, they’ve finished with a better regular season record 6 times. To me, that is not routinely being a better program. Did we get the best of them and win the conference this year? Yes. That is not comparable to the dominance they’ve had over us in baseball, basketball, etc.

This is probably a year or two away from taking effect, but I'm interested to see what impact the NCAA settlement will have on baseball with everything shifting to roster limits instead of scholarship limits. So the big boys could hand out 32 full rides or however many the roster cap ends up being, up from the current limit of 11.7. Remains to be seen how many schools will want to spend like that, but the option will be there.

Baseball seems likely to be one of the most significantly affected sports considering the current gap between the scholarship limit and typical roster sizes, but other sports will definitely see similar impacts to some degree.

(There's actually talk of FBS football roster sizes decreasing significantly...maybe a limit of 85–95, but of course they'll all be able to be on full scholarships. Very curious to see where that number ultimately lands. Overall it seems like walk-ons at the rich schools may become a thing of the past since they can just hand out a schollie and additional NIL and get a better player than any walk-on.)

This is probably a year or two away from taking effect, but I'm interested to see what impact the NCAA settlement will have on baseball with everything shifting to roster limits instead of scholarship limits. So the big boys could hand out 32 full rides or however many the roster cap ends up being, up from the current limit of 11.7. Remains to be seen how many schools will want to spend like that, but the option will be there.

Baseball seems likely to be one of the most significantly affected sports considering the current gap between the scholarship limit and typical roster sizes, but other sports will definitely see similar impacts to some degree.

(There's actually talk of FBS football roster sizes decreasing significantly...maybe a limit of 85–95, but of course they'll all be able to be on full scholarships. Very curious to see where that number ultimately lands. Overall it seems like walk-ons at the rich schools may become a thing of the past since they can just hand out a schollie and additional NIL and get a better player than any walk-on.)
It’s like fast food places hiring fewer employees because of the absurd minimum wages that they have to pay in places like California. The next thing you know, people are complaining about the high price of the food. Schools realize that less scholarships will save them money, and they can just buy the players they want.

We had decent hitting but pitching was very suspect. We had 3 or 4 really good hitters transfer so
there could have been a few more wins. But for several years we have lacked pitching depth and we
will never excel till we get a stronger, deeper pitching staff.

We lost Jared Sprague-Lott to Arkansas,Alden Mathes to Clemson,Jason Neff to Nova,Mikey Kluska to UCF,Jeremy Neff to VT.

We signed 2 kids from D3 schools.

The Coach and the team fought way above their weight all season and got to A10 finals.Pretty remarkable feat given the preseason expectations had us in the lightweight division.

We lost Jared Sprague-Lott to Arkansas,Alden Mathes to Clemson,Jason Neff to Nova,Mikey Kluska to UCF,Jeremy Neff to VT.

We signed 2 kids from D3 schools.

The Coach and the team fought way above their weight all season and got to A10 finals.Pretty remarkable feat given the preseason expectations had us in the lightweight division.
32 not taking anything away from their effort since the old adage of “ not how you start, but how you finish”, applied to this team. Aoki proved he can coach and liked how he played small ball early. But fact remains Spider Baseball has had limited depth in the pitching department for several years and as a former player and fan, it is frustrating to see.

Dominant..routinely better…I don’t see much of a difference. We won 4, they won 2 over a short span. Remove this year and we are 2-2 over the previous two years. Over the past ten years, they’ve finished with a better regular season record 6 times. To me, that is not routinely being a better program. Did we get the best of them and win the conference this year? Yes. That is not comparable to the dominance they’ve had over us in baseball, basketball, etc.
No, it's not. But you keep moving the goalposts from your original contention.

I hope we can all agree women's swimming/diving should be on the list too.

Kumbaya.

VCU baseball has been better than UR for several years, and especially lately. They have made the NCAA tourney 3 of the last 4 years and they have won the A10 regular season 3 times. UR has done nothing in baseball since 2002 - super regional appearance, and 2003 NCAA appearance. It has been very quiet since then. It is not even close - VCU baseball has been ahead of UR baseball since we joined the A10.

Reactions: 32counter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT