ADVERTISEMENT

2024–25 schedule

Aren’t UR, VMI, W&M, UVA, and VPI the only Division I schools in Virginia?

Or did that change since 1979?

What are the other opponents we have this coming year? Even if we don’t know the dates yet? MTE’s?

I think the only other games besides VMI we know about are @ Charlotte and @ W&M.

The UNI multi year series is over and I believe Wichita St. was just a home & home. Of course I guess it's possible we reup those. Would love to get Wake series back.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
Why even buy the VMI game? Why not just agree to a 3 year deal (H-A-H) with them (or some other in-state designated cupcake). You need probably 2-3 of these games each year, so why pay for one if all you got to do is agree to play them at their place 1 year (or even 2 year deal). Do we really think we can't beat VMI at their place? And with it being in state - its a bus ride.

Aren’t UR, VMI, W&M, UVA, and VPI the only Division I schools in Virginia?

Or did that change since 1979?
Virginia tech, George Mason, Hampton, JMU, Liberty, Norfolk State are all VA to my knowledge. Not sure if I missed any.

ODU. I know they sucked recently, but I'd do home and home with them. definitely with JMU.

Longwood is also D1

ODU. I know they sucked recently, but I'd do home and home with them. definitely with JMU.

Longwood is also D1
Forgot about Longwood. One of my Junior year roommates was a transfer from Longwood. He liked Richmond a whole lot more

We would still have a few home & homes ooc. And it was a little bit hyperbole. But hey something to consider in the NIL era.
This is a great idea. Play at Kansas, at Duke, at UCLA and at Gonzaga. Pocket a half milly and buy a great player for the following year, while also having an incredible SOS. If you go 1-3 it is a terrific success for that year too and the following for recruiting. Fans get big time games to watch, NIL gets a shot in the arm, and winning anything could theoretically boost you into the tournament. Win/win/win.

The 2024 version of John Chaney “anyone, anywhere” scheduling philosophy. “Anyone, anywhere, as long as we get paid.”

A super duper potential bonus is Spider23 gets to see Rothstein tweet about a school losing a buy game.

This is a great idea. Play at Kansas, at Duke, at UCLA and at Gonzaga. Pocket a half milly and buy a great player for the following year, while also having an incredible SOS. If you go 1-3 it is a terrific success for that year too and the following for recruiting. Fans get big time games to watch, NIL gets a shot in the arm, and winning anything could theoretically boost you into the tournament. Win/win/win.

The 2024 version of John Chaney “anyone, anywhere” scheduling philosophy. “Anyone, anywhere, as long as we get paid.”

A super duper potential bonus is Spider23 gets to see Rothstein tweet about a school losing a buy game.

I've always pushed us to schedule hard, now there is even more reason. Someone is going to do it I bet. Why not us. & I'm not talking about the Southern U or teams like that either that desperately needs $ for their budget either. But a legit mid major like Richmond.

Reactions: mr.spider
First you have to convince Kansas, Duke, UCLA, and Gonzaga to pay us. They don't want to do that..it's a lose-lose proposition for them. They have outstanding MTEs and play a few other high-profile games against each other OOC. Otherwise they're paying cupcakes to pad out their schedules...they'll fill their arenas no matter who they play and they want the "guaranteed" W. We're too much of a risk for an epitome of brutality situation.

Reactions: VT4700 and urfan1
First you have to convince Kansas, Duke, UCLA, and Gonzaga to pay us. They don't want to do that..it's a lose-lose proposition for them. They have outstanding MTEs and play a few other high-profile games against each other OOC. Otherwise they're paying cupcakes to pad out their schedules...they'll fill their arenas no matter who they play and they want the "guaranteed" W. We're too much of a risk for an epitome of brutality situation.
I think there are still programs that aren’t afraid of games especially if they get them at home.

There are also big programs that NEED to schedule games like this. And there are coaches out there who are competitive.

But overall, yeah obviously not everyone will play any competitive games in the NET era when the B12 gave a blueprint for NET manipulation. Beat sisters of the poor by 50 OOC x 13, play other 12-1 teams in conference (despite no on having played anyone good) and voila, top 25 NET.

Also, despite the positives and the program publicity it would generate, Moon and Hardt don’t strike me as trailblazers and thought leaders in this type of scenario.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders

Not saying it's easy but it can be done. we have a 20 year vet coach with connections right. we've hired a Joe Lunardi before. Also those teams don't play exclusively cupcakes at home. For sure some of them are. Won't analyze all the schedules but I looked at Duke and they played LaSalle Charlotte and Hofstra at home. Now we are better than all those programs for sure but its not some crazy jump. Also there are probably like 60 or more schools to consider for this strategy not just a handful.

This is a great idea. Play at Kansas, at Duke, at UCLA and at Gonzaga.
I am so in for playing at UCLA. For purely selfish reasons though, I would finally get to attend a Spider game again. Hell, let’s play at Cal State Fullerton or UC Irvine while we’re out here 😉

Reactions: spider23
Bingo. It's astounding how many times someone comes on here and posts: "Just go get a game with [POWER FIVE SCHOOL]" as if they haven't tried.

Bingo. It's astounding how many times someone comes on here and posts: "Just go get a game with [POWER FIVE SCHOOL]" as if they haven't tried.

True it's not as simple as just saying we want to play this game let's go schedule it. And I don't think most have suggested as much. But a large part is philosophy. Some teams don't want to take road buy games. Our p6 games have been H&H or neutral site games. How many in the Mooney era have been true road buy games? I can't think of many. The only one coming to mind is at Florida - not last year's neutral one, we played once in Gainesville. we had some type of 2 for 1 with BC I believe, that was also tied into a football game. If it's not a philosophy thing we otherwise would have had at least a few more in 20 years. we had some under wainwright - different era yes but also different philosphy. & he was here 3 years. From what I've seen Moon doesn't try to get those games.

We went to Alabama in the 24–7 year. I presume we knew we were going to be good and thought we might have a chance even on the road against them.

But yeah, Mooney has made clear numerous times that he much prefers trying to get them on a neutral court, or at least somewhat neutral. Whether that's an MTE, or a semi-road situation for us like Florida in Gainesville or NC State in Charlotte, he likes our odds better doing that.

If we do a H&H situation, the best we can do is a lower-tier P6 like a BC or a Vandy.

We're definitely loathe to simply be a buy game. The financial motivation is lower given we don't need the cash for our budget, so the consideration is likely largely about the difficulty of the game, and it's hard to win on the road at a P6.

Not saying I necessarily agree with that philosophy 100%, and I'd like to see us take on a few of those if we could convince teams like that to pay us, but it takes two to tango.

SF, we don’t need the money, yet the AD is asking fans for NIL money. The primary purpose of this is not upgrading the schedule it’s about innovating to create a NIL revenue source to be used on a big upgrade player.

Moon hasn’t done it but why not get ahead of the curve? He shouldn’t think about it in terms of scheduling - weird as that sounds - but as program-building via NIL.

Re scheduling neutral site games 20 miles from the school we are playing - I dislike this approach. You still get a hostile away crowd and no road game bump added to your resume purposes.

I don't know how this school funded NIL will play out, but don't be surprised is Richmond isn't suddenly flush with men's basketball NIL money.

when the school gets involved, we'll end up spreading this NIL around to all the men's and women's sports. we'll raise $1M and instead of it making a difference in hoops, we'll give every kid $4k.

Better for the P6 team if it's a neutral game too, right? They have more leeway in getting it to be a Q1 or Q2 win that way, as opposed to it being a home game for them.

Reactions: VT4700
so we definitely have a home game vs BC this year?

No. did u see that somewhere? I believe done. The series was a little disjointed it started while ago & think Covid postponed but we alreday had the home game.

We went to Alabama in the 24–7 year. I presume we knew we were going to be good and thought we might have a chance even on the road against them.

But yeah, Mooney has made clear numerous times that he much prefers trying to get them on a neutral court, or at least somewhat neutral. Whether that's an MTE, or a semi-road situation for us like Florida in Gainesville or NC State in Charlotte, he likes our odds better doing that.

If we do a H&H situation, the best we can do is a lower-tier P6 like a BC or a Vandy.

We're definitely loathe to simply be a buy game. The financial motivation is lower given we don't need the cash for our budget, so the consideration is likely largely about the difficulty of the game, and it's hard to win on the road at a P6.

Not saying I necessarily agree with that philosophy 100%, and I'd like to see us take on a few of those if we could convince teams like that to pay us, but it takes two to tango.

Yep thx Bama was 1 too. just very infrequent.

Obv every coach likes odds better at home or neutral goes without saying.

I disagree finanacial motivation is lower, yes in past it was, but the premise now is financial as Brookstone mentioned - for NIL. School is asking us to donate for it, UR80s is asking us. Tho for me personally I like the upgrading the schedule part just as much.

Also re h&h I still think we can do better than just a Vandy or BC. Wake, Georgetown, Texas Tech is not that long ago. VCU got Memphis. can't give up on them. i don't think that kind of H&H is dead forever. idk maybe Mooney would say they r dead forever. not easy is better than dead.

Last edited:
No. did u see that somewhere? I believe done. The series was a little disjointed it started while ago & think Covid postponed but we alreday had the home game.
we played them away in 2017 and home in 2019.
I assume that was the home & home.

then we played them away in 2023. either that should be a buy game or we get them here this season.

we played them away in 2017 and home in 2019.
I assume that was the home & home.

then we played them away in 2023. either that should be a buy game or we get them here this season.

I don't think it was ever a H&H. I think it was a 2-1 they agreed to when they gave us a buy football game. so the 2 for 1 is complete. I remember JOC reported about the contract years ago. too long ago i won't call it a mortal lock tho.

Better for the P6 team if it's a neutral game too, right? They have more leeway in getting it to be a Q1 or Q2 win that way, as opposed to it being a home game for them.

They lose a lot of revenue at neutral. The neutral arena is taking a big cut vs. the home game. They don't mind some neutrals but a top tier P6 needs certain amount of home games for $. Also they get so many NET chances I'm not sure they care too much about that.

If we are going to a pro model the NCAA should go to a pro model with scheduling, of course that would too fair.

As I recall, the BC 2-for-1 was negotiated as part of them backing out of playing us in football in 2017. We opened at Sam Houston instead that year and got the basketball series with BC.

Reactions: urfan1 and GKiller
I have some fond memories of Longwood. Had some great road trips back in the day when it was female only.
Oh Longwood, i.e. Dogwood. never forget one roadtrip there. Frat brother had too much before we arrived. New building under construction had scaffolding close by. Talked the brother into sitting there to sober up and promised to pick him up in a few minutes. Hours laters at the local watering hole with the ladies everyone had enough so we returned to UR. Waking up the next morning was a shocker, grabbed a brother and back to Longwood, finding the lost soul still asleep on the scaffolding.

“Aim to heaven and you get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.”
CSLewis

We should schedule anybody anywhere with the expectation EVERY year we are achieving an automatic bid.
Recall Temple and John Chaney. Look at MichSt every year. They seem to never have a phenomenal WL record but always get in.

Why not try to get a game or two at the new Henrico Events Center which hosted the A10 womens tourney. The A10 must have some connection there - and maybe it could be an OOC doubleheader - VCU plays a game, and UR plays a game. Or whatever happened to the Governor games - where I think it was similar to this but with all VA schools. Between UR, VCU, VA Tech, UVA, and the success of JMU last year, and Liberty has been good, Longwood has been dancing - there are some good to decent games to be had right in our backyard.

This is posted in the transfer portal thread but since it is relevant to this thread, I’ll copy my post from there.

4700 had linked an article about SDSU trying to stay afloat in the NIL world. This will happen fast. Using scheduled games for NIL will happen, just a matter of when.

My response to that article with a quote I pulled from it is below.

—-

From that article, there are already talks to merge scheduling and NIL. Not the model we discussed in the scheduling thread (buy games) but a tournament where every participant gets $1 million from tournament proceeds. Mentions some of the big name teams I brought up.

“Another potential revenue source is a new nonconference tournament concept where proceeds from media rights, ticket sales and sponsorships go directly to the NIL collectives of the participating teams.

Details have started leaking out for the Las Vegas event: eight teams (possibly growing to 16 in future years), $1 million per team for participating, an additional $1 million to the champions.

Smith confirmed SDSU and MESA are part of discussions for the inaugural tournament next season — if it happens. Other schools mentioned include Duke, Kansas, Alabama, Oregon and Syracuse.“

Discussion of inflection points and not being left behind. However bc of MTT rules it prob cannot happen immediately until big draw teams have the availability to play in it.

We need to get on this asap and figure out the UR plan.

Why not try to get a game or two at the new Henrico Events Center which hosted the A10 womens tourney. The A10 must have some connection there - and maybe it could be an OOC doubleheader - VCU plays a game, and UR plays a game.
It only holds 3,500.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT