ADVERTISEMENT

2023–24 NET Ratings

Their bracketologists.com page doesn’t show their NET OOC SOS that high. I wonder if it includes the games they haven’t played yet?
Yeah, not sure how they're doing that.

According to the official NET, their SOS is ranked 2nd. Only 0–7 Texas Southern tops them with five Q1 games, a Q2, and a Q3.

Their athletic department must be in deep financial ish to schedule seven road games in their first eight games against big schools.

Their bracketologists.com page doesn’t show their NET OOC SOS that high. I wonder if it includes the games they haven’t played yet?

Hmm…that is interesting. I haven’t looked at Bracketologist site yet this year so just going by the thread. That would be kind of an odd approach for calculating? Might explain some variance. But SOS is always the wildcard imo. Too much variance across the sites that rank it.

Hmm…that is interesting. I haven’t looked at Bracketologist site yet this year so just going by the thread. That would be kind of an odd approach for calculating? Might explain some variance. But SOS is always the wildcard imo. Too much variance across the sites that rank it.
My assumption, which is always dangerous, is that for us they use the combined NET of our 13 OOC instead of the 8 OOC like many sites. I actually prefer that once all 31 games are known.

Reactions: GKiller
Back to two digits - 99 this morning so clearly this year our lack of bad losses so far
compared to last year continues to boost us even if most of us aren’t happy with the 5-5 record

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
The Lakers said they are hanging a banner for winning whatever that in-season tournament was, so why not?!

surprised UR didn't pull a GW and fire off a social media post - with multiple misspellings - touting re-cracking the top 100.

Nothing to see here, everything is fine. Top 100.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
Back to two digits - 99 this morning so clearly this year our lack of bad losses so far
compared to last year continues to boost us even if most of us aren’t happy with the 5-5 record
Most of us???
Those who are happy please identify yourselves so we know who works in the AD department, is a Mooney relative or friend, or is PQ.

• Haha
Our Net is down to 95th despite a lot of close losses on the road. Once Hunt gets back we could be one of the top 4 teams in the A10.

Last edited:
Our Net is down to 95th despite a lot of close losses on the road. Once Hunt gets back we could be one of the top 4 teams in the A10.
I admire your optimism. However unless the conference looks a lot like VMI and Siena I’m not seeing Top 4. If our OOC is any indication, we can only beat weak teams. Plenty of time on schedule to change our pattern, but so far we haven’t beaten 1 decent team.

road conference games are:
Loyola-Chicago
Duquesne
Davidson
Fordham
VCU
GW
URI
SLU
GMU

how many W's you guys think we have hiding in there?
CM has historically had Duquesnes number whether home or away but they’re much improved it seems. Fordham, probably winnable. And I always feel like we match up well with Davidson - fluidity.

VCU, SLU and GMU we do not play well against, particularly on the road.

The other three are perhaps toss ups.

So feels like 3-5 potential wins? We have not shown to be an even marginal road team the last few seasons.

Reactions: Gallipoli
Right. And then there are always games at home where another team comes in and executes its plan perfectly - thinking St Joe’s 2 years ago, SLU often - so it’s unlikely to figure on 8-1 or 9-0 at home. So if 7-2 home is what we think, need min 3 wins on road to get to 10-8 winning league record. Again, first we need a single road win against anyone before I believe even 3 are possible.

Up to 89 for the Spiders and nice overall day for the A10 top teams - much better this year for the overall A10 than last as non conference is nearing the end.

Dayton 44 -> 30
St. Joes 62 -> 48
Duq 69 -> 71
GM 63-> 71 (even thought they beat Loyola MD. Clearly we are going to drop after next two Q4 games and efficiency/large margin of victory is going to matter a ton)
Mass 91->90
VCU 106->95

Seven in the top 100 is pretty nice at this point. And I hope Mooney recognizes the importance of margin these next few games, too.

Ah love the NET - we move from 87 to 82 but both Bonne and GMU go from Q2 to Q3 wins .. and the fact that St. Joes is above us at 79 is laughable ..2-1 Q1 record, 0-1 Q2, 0-3 Q3, 8-1 Q4 record.

I think our efficiency is holding us down. We are stuck in the 90s in kenpom. Oddly Torvik has us at 64 today. Difference seems to be strength of schedule. Another reason why NET keeps trending towards the level of just being a good data point among others.

Spiders hold steady at 81 in the NET, while Duquesne drops from 92 to 101. Dayton slips a couple spots to 19 just because SLU is so low.

19. Dayton
79. St. Joe's
81. Richmond
82. Bona
84. Mason
89. UMass
98. VCU
101. Duquesne
123. Loyola
134. Davidson
136. GW
161. URI
175. Fordham
222. SLU
223. La Salle

Spiders hold steady at 81 in the NET, while Duquesne drops from 92 to 101. Dayton slips a couple spots to 19 just because SLU is so low.

19. Dayton
79. St. Joe's
81. Richmond
82. Bona
84. Mason
89. UMass
98. VCU
101. Duquesne
123. Loyola
134. Davidson
136. GW
161. URI
175. Fordham
222. SLU
223. La Salle
Hopefully Wich State loss eventually gets back to a Q2 .. thought they were going to be better than they are ..

Reactions: mr.spider
They've lost 5 in a row and 7 of 8. Granted, some good competition in there, but yeah, they could use some wins. FAU up next tomorrow ain't helping their chances, but also a great opportunity to make a jump if they can pull it off.

Reactions: Section9.RowD

19. Dayton
79. St. Joe's
81. Richmond
82. Bona
84. Mason
89. UMass
98. VCU
101. Duquesne
123. Loyola
134. Davidson
136. GW
161. URI
175. Fordham
222. SLU
223. La Salle
Just a quick edit. Remember the correct capitalization on the rams.

19. Dayton
79. St. Joe's
81. Richmond
82. Bona
84. Mason
89. UMass
98. vcu
101. Duquesne
123. Loyola
134. Davidson
136. GW
161. URI
175. Fordham
222. SLU
223. La Salle

How is it possible to win a road game at the 92nd team as the 81st team and not move up at all?? I thought NET rewarded good road wins? WTF.

Reactions: GKiller
I like the NET system in concept. I don't know the detailed ins and outs, but I like that it indirectly includes margins thru efficiency ratings.

I wouldn't expect big movement for winning a 2 point game over a team rated within 10 spots of us.

If we blew them out, some movement should be expected.

Well, eff it. I said I wasn't looking at our resume until the end of January. But I'm officially on the daily NET watch now. Feels good. Hope we can keep this up.

I wish I was there but I'm not. We just didn't perform well enough OOC. It's a very large ask to have the kind of record, which we've never pulled off in A10, to have a chance.

Dayton is the only game that will move the needle. It would be great to go into that game undefeated in A10 and against a ranked Dayton team, because then u oopen some eyes with a win. Then we could recalibrate.

And also as EL pointed out, we can't even get a minor bump after winning on road against a team with a solid NET. Not enough opportunities in A10. We like to say A10 performed better this year and we have but I wouldn't deem it significant, there is only 1 at large worthy resume (Dayton).

Yeah, we need to go like 16–2 in A-10 play to get the NET up in the mid 50s where it likely needs to be to be in the conversation (likely with a win over Dayton for the resume). Win a couple more in the A-10 tourney to get into the low 50s, and maybe we have a shot with a loss in the final.

You have to string together a series of wins against piers bunched together in the rankings to see movement. We have seen trends in upward movement during this win streak. You just can't expect a big jump in a single 2 point win against a similarly ranked team. Beat them by 25, and you'll probably see a bit of a jump.

Reactions: gcarter52
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT