ADVERTISEMENT

2023–24 NET Ratings

UR 70-> 71
Bonne 78 -> 70 since their 8pt victory @ UMass was crazy impressive to the infamous algorithm
VCU 75 -> 78
Loyola 99 -> 93
As others have said… a W is a W. Cant complain about a 3 pt at home win over the 115th ranked team. The NET cares.
And as another poster said… “We dont blow anyone away. Thats who we are”. Well that adds up to losing ground in the NET. And NET is reason Spiders srent in consideration for ar large.
Loyola won by 21 over a good GMU team and they got the bump.

As others have said… a W is a W. Cant complain about a 3 pt at home win over the 115th ranked team. The NET cares.
And as another poster said… “We dont blow anyone away. Thats who we are”. Well that adds up to losing ground in the NET. And NET is reason Spiders srent in consideration for ar large.
Spiders aren't in consideration for an at large because they lost too many early games. NET wouldn't be a problem had they won half of those games. Please note that we are ahead of Loyola in NET as bad as we are.

Spiders aren't in consideration for an at large because they lost too many early games. NET wouldn't be a problem had they won half of those games. Please note that we are ahead of Loyola in NET as bad as we are.
Yes should have won a couple of the early games but I disagree NET isnt now the determining factor. If NET were now in the high 50’s UR would be squarely in the discussion.
Loyola has 2 Quad 4 losses and has never had a NET under 90, which is why they also are not in discussion for at large.

True, if we keep winning like we are doing then it won’t matter, we have the tie breaker!

Yes should have won a couple of the early games but I disagree NET isnt now the determining factor. If NET were now in the high 50’s UR would be squarely in the discussion.
Loyola has 2 Quad 4 losses and has never had a NET under 90, which is why they also are not in discussion for at large.
You missed my point. NET is the determining factor and it's higher than we would like because we lost early games we shouldn't have. It's too late at this point to have major movement with NET. Just keep winning and make it less of a factor. Win out and it's not a factor at all whether we win by 1 or 21.

Reactions: gcarter52
You missed my point. NET is the determining factor and it's higher than we would like because we lost early games we shouldn't have. It's too late at this point to have major movement with NET. Just keep winning and make it less of a factor. Win out and it's not a factor at all whether we win by 1 or 21.
That’s what I have been saying!

Re: your response to fatherspider-

It seems our NET is not going to get much better through duration. A lot of permutations on how our season though A10 Tourney will play out. Win tourney, and we are in. Any other scenario of wins vs losses in regular season still seems we need to get to finals of tourney for consideration????

Reactions: urfan1

There r lots of examples of teams making major movements in NET this late in year.

I’d feel a lot more confident if we won our last 4 by 21 each. Sign me up.

There r lots of examples of teams making major movements in NET this late in year.

I’d feel a lot more confident if we won our last 4 by 21 each. Sign me up.
Who wouldn't? So there's a chance we could break into the 40s?

Teams have been having major movement with NET pretty often. We know the formula is to win handily against weak competition. Fact the the Bonnies have a better NET than UR at .500 in league is laughable but still relevant. Its not like they had a great OOC either but the NET views them as the stronger team.
Of course if UR wins tourney they are in but the discussion is about the possibility of getting in if that doesnt happen. Winning by 1 or 21 does matter, lol, in regard to NET.
But whatever, no way of at large imo at this point.

Last edited:
Teams have been having major movement with NET pretty often. We know the formula is to win handily against weak competition. Fact the the Bonnies have a better NET than UR at .500 in league is laughable but still relevant. Its not like they had a great OOC either but the NET views them as the stronger team.
Of course if UR wins tourney they are in but the discussion is about the possibility of getting in if that doesnt happen. Winning by 1 or 21 does matter, lol, in regard to NET.
But whatever, no way of at large imo at this point.
I dunno. Following up on my earlier point. I'd think (or maybe hope) that if we run the table rest of regular season & get to tourney finals w/out winning it, then we would get serious consideration.

I dunno. Following up on my earlier point. I'd think (or maybe hope) that if we run the table rest of regular season & get to tourney finals w/out winning it, then we would get serious consideration.
I hope you are right but I really think that this high of a NET makes it very easy for the committee to eliminate Spiders in favor of a 17-14 BE or B10 team with a NET of 39. The disparity in NET is too great imo.
USF is a similar case to UR with a 14-1 AAC record but a NET of 90ish. They have a good chance of finishing 17-1 and have a NET of around 80, with only 5 losses.
Another case showing NET is way out of whack for some teams.

Last edited:
I think needing Dayton to win the tourney if we don’t is a real thing we’d need to root for if we take care of business these last few games. As others have brought up I think the committee would have a tough time putting 3 A10 teams in
Very true. 3 are not getting in.

What happens if Dayton and Loyola both lose a few more and we win out, win the league by two full games but don't win the conference tourney? Do they just take the tourney winner or do we have a shot?

What happens if Dayton and Loyola both lose a few more and we win out, win the league by two full games but don't win the conference tourney? Do they just take the tourney winner or do we have a shot?
The new NIT rules don't even guarantee a bid to the conference regular season winner, in favor of bad teams in the Big 10 with favorable Net ratings. We might not even make the post season.

Lol he was talking about the ncaa not the NIT
I was talking about the NIT.

"For the 2024 NIT, conference regular-season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT."

"Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men's basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of win-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT. "

I was talking about the NIT.

"For the 2024 NIT, conference regular-season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT."

"Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men's basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of win-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT. "

Umm yes, but when u directly answer questions about the ncaa with a reply about the NIT it makes zero sense.

Reactions: spider23
The changes to the NIT selection really are a crime against all the non-P6 schools. In addition, what P6 fan base is going to be happy about going to the NIT? The NCAA is trying to make its basketball product more like the football one with the myriad of garbage bowls that no one cares about, but the TV execs hope to maximize eyeballs on.

I think Gallipoli is writing off the NCAA's , trying to minimize the pain in the event we do not make it.

I am all in for NCAAs this season. Could care less about the NIT. If we have to play in it I will be excited for it at that point. But if we miss it due to some new P6 shenanigans I will not be too upset.
If we don't win the A10 tournament, we might not make the post season at all.

I think Gallipoli is writing off the NCAA's , trying to minimize the pain in the event we do not make it.

I am all in for NCAAs this season. Could care less about the NIT. If we have to play in it I will be excited for it at that point. But if we miss it due to some new P6 shenanigans I will not be too upset.

Ncaa or bust. This is why u would get beers at Pig Beach, the Souper Bowl, Shotz, blue oyster bar or any anti-Blackie’s bar.

I feel there is definitely a contingent here that will be very satisfied with double bye and esp A10 reg season title, NIT and Mooney coach of year.

Thats good stuff on stand alone basis. But I would be left wondering how we could be only outright a10 reg season title winner to not make NCAAs (if that stat accurate). And it would be very very tough to take being this close and letting #1 seed go to waste. Again part of that is 3 for 18. When 3 for 18 & u r on cusp u have to close. U can’t go 8-26, 3 for 19 if u r Mooney. The team deserves it. Heck Moon deserves it. I don’t know if that adds more pressure but u just have to be a closer. Glengarry Glen Ross.

Last edited:
Please explain. Maybe if you are a P6 school, but not for the A10 schools that would otherwise make the post season.

I have explained. It’s in a few other threads.

To sum up…the reg season winner rule that Nit used to have shrunk the NIT. I don’t know how long that rule was in place. Less than 10 years? I saw some articles that acted like it was some type of tradition. Funny to read since relatively new rule.

But w that rule, bids were guaranteed for low level leagues that otherwise they didn’t get. Then of course they try to fill with p6. That left less available bids for the a10 type leagues. Now there’s more. The OVC Patriot or NEC winner for example won’t be in NIT any longer if they don’t get auto. If u think low majors r getting screwed that’s fine but not my point.

12 p6 teams getting automatic bids is nothing. They were getting invited anyway. So that’s no change. The change is really they get a home game automatic which is bs.

And my guess is we’ll still have some p6 opt outs even w new rule.

I’m not sure why many r having a hard time with the concept.

Edit: southland was bad example I forgot McNeese in Southland. I removed above.

Last edited:
Ncaa or bust. This is why u would get beers at Pig Beach, the Souper Bowl, Shotz, blue oyster bar or any anti-Blackie’s bar.

I feel there is definitely a contingent here that will be very satisfied with double bye and esp A10 reg season title, NIT and Mooney coach of year.

Thats good stuff on stand alone basis. But I would be left wondering how we could be only outright a10 reg season title winner to not make NCAAs (if that stat accurate). And it would be very very tough to take being this close and letting #1 seed go to waste. Again part of that is 3 for 18. When 3 for 18 & u r on cusp u have to close. U can’t go 8-26, 3 for 19 if u r Mooney. The team deserves it. Heck Moon deserves it. I don’t know if that adds more pressure but u just have to be a closer. Glengarry Glen Ross.
Agreed. This year has been fun but we need to close. We endured a long decade and spent $13 million on Mooney with nothing to show for it. Two years ago was a good step forward, and this year would be another toward making up for that mess.

Lp
The changes to the NIT selection really are a crime against all the non-P6 schools. In addition, what P6 fan base is going to be happy about going to the NIT? The NCAA is trying to make its basketball product more like the football one with the myriad of garbage bowls that no one cares about, but the TV execs hope to maximize eyeballs on.
Its curious that this new NIT rule makes the 12 Auto selections based on NET only. There could be teams with losing records getting invited. NET is laughable.

Last year, there were 11 teams that got NIT auto bids due to being regular season champs but not winning their conference tourneys. The four who got autos that undoubtedly would not have gotten in without that rule included #244 Alcorn, #228 Morehead, #128 Eastern Washington, and #123 Youngstown. The other seven:

64. Yale
72. Bradley
74. Utah Valley
82. Toledo
86. Hofstra
87. Southern Miss
96. Irvine

A decent number of those might have been in discussion for bids even without the auto situation.

On the flip side, there were 13 P6 teams selected as at-larges for the NIT last year. The conferences with more than two were the Big Ten (#40 Rutgers, #61 Michigan, #80 Wisconsin) and the Pac-12 (#47 Oregon, #69 Colorado, #73 Washington State).

The only P6 conference to have only one bid was the Big 12 with #43 Oklahoma State. The Big 12 qualified 7 of their 10 teams for NCAA, so to get a second NIT team, they would have had to grab #63 Texas Tech as well. The NET isn't terrible, but they were 16–16 and tied with Oklahoma in the Big 12 cellar at 5–13 in conference play. Yuck.

#62 Florida did get an NIT bid at 16–16 and 9–9 in SEC play, and was promptly throttled in the first round by Central Florida.

What happens when a p6 team declines an NIT auto-bid invite? Does that conference get 1 auto-bid?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT