ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Richmond Spiders Football - Countdown - Villanova

totally brutal.

coaches need to be held accountable for a total breakdown. Took a lot for this to happen. Failure to get in in the end zone, 3 drives that were all too easy and two straight three and outs on offense. awful penalty

A two score lead choke on it. Should have been aggressive and went for it. It was nice to see the comeback and take the lead. However, we didn't finish the job. Seen this movie way too many times. We competed and tried our best. UR athletics 101

Reactions: SpiderRick
How effing horrible was that!!! We must fire the coaching staff tonight!! USC!!!!

Sweet, another moral victory for our PR department to push out there saying how hard we competed. Gritty effort, but predictable result especially with our coaching staff running this program. Blown opportunity.

Typical finish that has happened way too often. Seeing the same result each season. VT is going to smoke us next week in Blacksburg. All momentum is gone after a loss like this.

Reactions: SpiderK
Fire Durden and move Jeff Hanson over Defense. everytime we blitzed up middle, they burnt us with big play.
Now Huesman is over the special teams and we did well there. Just fire Durden as start and I will feel better about
our future.

Reactions: DTSpider
What can be said? Being a Spider Fan is in recent years is the equivalent of being a masochist.

Durden was such a huge part of Mickey Matthews underperforming at JMU and he has done nothing here. I’ve seen no benefit from having him here. He must be some sort of amazing recruiter or be a friend of Mooney.

Giving up three touchdowns in four minutes and 23 seconds doesn't exactly exonerate the defense. Gave up 13 points in 54:59 seconds and then ----------!!!

SMH

Reactions: urfan1
Durden was such a huge part of Mickey Matthews underperforming at JMU and he has done nothing here. I’ve seen no benefit from having him here. He must be some sort of amazing recruiter or be a friend of Mooney.
He is a sleeper agent for the Dukes. You can not convince me otherwise.

Well funded under achievers, that would be embarrassing to any mature adult, but that’s ok with UR

Last edited:
Both the offense and defense failed to get the W in the last 9min being up 14 points.

Offense went 3 and out on 2 occasions and QB Smith riddled the 4 man rush.No pressure on Smith hurt us bigtime with our “prevent secondary“and our play calling in our last possessions amounted to our throwing incomplete passes which stopped the clock for Nova to serve up its W.Our series of 3 rushes came up short and didn’t eat any clock.Nova Scoring 21 points in the last 9 mins falls on the ineffectiveness of both our offense and defense to execute.

Last edited:
UR4thUR2505:01KOUR3402:30PUNT3-92:31
UR4thUR2502:02KOUR2501:41PUNT3-00:21
UR4thUR2500:38KOVU4800:04INT5-270:34

Richmond up 27-20

Richmond at 05:01
1st and 10 at UR25RICHMOND drive start at 05:01.
1st and 10 at UR25Aaron Dykes rush up middle for 4 yards to the UR29 (Awopetu, N.;Zobel, G.).
2nd and 6 at UR29Joe Mancuso rush up middle for 4 yards to the UR33 (Rhyne, F.;Goodman, J.).
3rd and 2 at UR33Aaron Dykes rush up middle for 1 yard to the UR34 (Black, A.;Townsel, Q.).
4th and 1 at UR34Aaron Trusler punt 32 yards to the VU34, fair catch by Wolfe, J., PENALTY UR unsportsmanlike conduct (Chance Graves) 15 yards to the VU49.
TOTAL3 plays , 9 yards Time of Possession: 2:31

NEXT:NOVA SCORES TD IN 30 SEC TO TIE GAME AT 27

Richmond tied at 27-27

Richmond at 02:02
1st and 10 at UR25RICHMOND drive start at 02:02.
1st and 10 at UR25Joe Mancuso middle pass incomplete (Nelson, Ja.).
2nd and 10 at UR25Joe Mancuso LE pass incomplete to Connor Deveney.
3rd and 10 at UR25Joe Mancuso middle pass incomplete to Connor Deveney (Waxter, I.).
4th and 10 at UR25Aaron Trusler punt 43 yards to the VU32, fair catch by Wolfe, J..
TOTAL3 plays , 0 yards Time of Possession: 0:21

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderK and Mo 2.0
What a rollercoaster this thread is.

Villanova is a good team so no real shame in losing to them on the road, but man, that’s an incredibly disappointing way to do it.

Was only following the play by play in ESPN app, but it’s amazing how quickly that sinking feeling appeared after going up 14 and then immediately seeing Villanova start moving the ball with ease. Just knew we were going to blow it.

Reactions: whampas
today's loss continues the frustrating trend of not being able to finish against good teams...as many have stated there's plenty of collective blame to go around...

the offense, the defense and the coaching staff all failed in the last nine minutes...

the bottom line for me is that it's the coaching staff's job to have the team ready mentally and physically to win in these situations...that's what they're getting paid to do...to win games like today...

there're seven big CAA games left for the Spiders...no doubt we'll find ourselves in tight ball games in the weeks ahead...our coaches need to find the solution to this trend...

Go Spiders!

Always a good idea to only rush three against an all American QB. You really should give him all the time he needs. It really confuses him. 🙄

Last edited:
Too bad we only had 5 players around the ball on their game winning play

Last edited:
Felt the same as last nite. visions of scotty Mcgee just won't go away. I think Kobie said it best at the post game presser " we took our foot off the accelerator"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT