ADVERTISEMENT

What are your expectations for next year?

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
I am very pleased to see how this team progressed through out the season. They were a much better team the last 14 games. Looking forward to having all 5 starters back who are all capable of averaging double figures. Also, believe our bench will be stronger led by Cayo and JJ. I think we will win 20 games, 13-5 in the A10 and make it to post season play. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Without adequate depth, going 8-9 deep, that can supply offense and rebounding,
we are in the same boat. There is no proof at this stage we will have that luxury.

My expectations for the next 12 months Of Spider Basketball:

-One grad transfer and one recruited player in the next couple months. People will say both of them are ready to contribute right away. (Neither will)
- We will be predicted to finish about 6th in the league. #Realfans will suggest this is way too low, considering all the players we return.
-They'll hold an open practice one Saturday in the fall during a football tailgate. A handful of #Realfans will report back that several players appear at all American level and the redshirts are ready to contribute in a major way.
- We will host a CAA team in the opener. We will appear sluggish but grind out a win. #Realfans will point out this was way better than the Delaware game in November 2017.
- We will go about 7-5 OOC. With BC, Wake, ODU, @Vermont, @Georgetown already on the schedule, we already have 3 to 4 OOC losses. We will find another one or two.
-Despite the 7-5 OOC record the team will be "starting to gel" around the new year.
- We will go 11-7 in the A10, again sweeping VCU and we will head into the A10 tourney around 4th or 5th seed, 18-12 overall. #Realfans will be VERY happy with the VCU wins.
-Ivan will have been the first caller on Spider Sportsline all season long.
- The AD will be touting sellouts and attendance records on the backs of elementary school giveaways.
- We will sell about 25 ticket booklets to Brooklyn.
- We will get to the A10 semifinal round before bowing out. At 19-13, We will be a marginal NIT team.
- We will get into the NIT and we might even win a game.
- We will be back to hoisting a Kenpom Top 100 banner.
-Once it's over in about 370 days, we will be talking about the big improvement since the 2017-18 season and how promising 2019-20 looks.
-People on this board will still be calling for a change.

Those are my expectations for next year .

Last edited:
My realistic expectations are pretty much in line with Moliva's. But if I were Hardt, my expectation would be an NCAA appearance or else. There is no other option. We have talent, we're getting a lot better, right? We won't be young anymore, right? Then it shouldn't be hard.

My expectation is that Spiders05 will decide after the season that we need a thread in order to vent our frustration. Hope does "spring eternal" but how many times can we do the same thing but yet expect different (better) results?

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Somehow many of us fail to remember that this was a young team. Regardless to what transpired prior to players lost, they took their lumps on the way to respectability. The never held their heads down. They will benefit from what they went through this year, as a coach I experienced this with some of my teams, we lived, learned and became champions as a result. Go Spiders, I stand tall with you!!!

Reactions: spiderman and Ulla1
I’m done with expectations for this program.

Too many years of thinking it was the year and 2 NCAA appearances in 13 years.

Reactions: Eight Legger
6'9", 6'4", 6'3", 5'11", and 5'8" (and just one senior) all playing 30+ minutes is not going to get it done at the national (at-large) level.

We have plenty of our own issues too.

Mason loses no one, Duquesne was young, St Louis, Dayton, and UMass return just about everyone, VCU gets Evans, Davidson will be competitive, St Joes returns a young nice core + Charlie Brown/Fresh Kimble, lots of holes/gaps on teams will be filled by "plug and play" JUCOs and GTs (like St Bonny did w/ Stockard), etc.

And that's just the A-10 portion of the schedule.

Last edited:
I expect we will be back in the 18-20 win column next year. I think we have the potential to be a very good offensive team. You saw that the last few games. Now the problem is none of our guys are great individual defenders (At least not right now) so you see us get down by double digits to good teams like last night. I wish we could add 2-3 transfers who were legit defenders. Not having a legit backup option for Grant is a problem. If he gets in foul trouble early or gets worn down it takes away our ability to play inside/out on offense. We are also playing a dangerous game with depth if one or two guys turn an ankle or worse at any point next year. I really wish our administration would allow a "Bernard level" transfer...that would solidify this roster some.

Last edited:
Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I don't really understand the pessimism of many of our 'fans'. Yes, the OOC was disappointing and I was expecting a better performance, but that was probably a mistake on my part. I think CM enjoys wide respect as a coach, and I hope he's retained for many years. Was this the worst possible season? Certainly the OOC was. But two of our most successful programs in recent years were Dayton and VCU. Yet we finished as the higher seed. I was proud of our team against Bona, they hit so many 3 point shots to start the second half, that I could understand our young team folding. But they didn't, they showed a lot of grit and determination. As for next year, we will be better. I'd like to see another big man, can that be Cayo. Jacob will certainly be an improved player. I think we may actually 3 scholarship openings, but can we fill them at this time of year? I'm not happy to see our season end, but if I'm fortunate to be around for next season, I'm cheering for our guys. We are certainly capable of a top 4 finish next year, and a post season tournament appearance.

I expect we will be back in the 18-20 win column next year. I think we have the potential to be a very good offensive team. You saw that the last few games. Now the problem is none of our guys are great individual defenders (At least not right now) so you see us get down by double digits to good teams like last night. I wish we could add 2-3 transfers who were legit defenders. Not having a legit backup option for Grant is a problem. If he gets in foul trouble early or gets worn down it takes away our ability to play inside/out on offense. We are also playing a dangerous game with depth if one or two guys turn an ankle or worse at any point next year. I really wish our administration would allow a "Bernard level" transfer...that would solidly this roster some.

Agree and that’s a huge issue. Coach doesn’t trust Grant as a defender so puts him on the bench when we need to play defense in crunch time, that makes a small lineup even smaller. We need someone like Darius Garrett on this team.

Reactions: Captain Anderson
Expectations?...That a talented offensive team will be held back by sub par defense despite having the speed and athleticism to contain most opponents. This team is not going to the NCAA's next year or the year after without drastic improvement on D.

I expect I will be watching every game and rooting for the team. I want them to make a big jump and be an NCAA team next year, but I wouldn't bet on it.

As a player or coach of any team, with fans or supporters like some of you who needs fans like you. Regardless to the makeup of the team from year to year, the players are different. They ought to or rather should be judged on their current situation. I support my team regardless and will expect them to very well next year! I am with you TB, if I'm fortunate to be around for next season, I'm cheering for our guys too. I too believe that we are capable of a top 4 finish next year, and a post season tournament appearance.

Reactions: spiderman
If team stays intact, I am expecting 8-4 OCC and 14-4 in A-10. 22-8 overall. A-10 is losing many of the players that beat us this year. 77 points is enough, it will all depend on defensive improvement.

Reactions: spiderman
Sick and tired of these threads year after year.

The fact that this has become an annual debate topic is absolutely appalling. PR gurus within the program and Athl Dept have brainwashed some of you into thinking that mediocrity is ok. This is what we have learned over the last 5-7 years:

1. NIT bids are the equivalent of ncaa bids.
2. .500 is just as good as .700
3. 4th and a double bye is the equivalent of Reg season title.
4. 20-14 is worthy of an extension(s).
5. The Coach isnt willing to change a thing.
6. Fanbase, while smaller than most schools, is loyal and Athl Dept knows they can take advantage of it.
7. Winning is 3rd to getting a donation from you and selling tickets

Only 2 ncaa bids & 1 conf title in 13 seasons, 0 titles & 0 ncaa bids since 2011, just finished Yr 7 of 10 yr contract and nothing to show for it. I have posted previously that I'm going to give Hardt time to make changes, but I just can't stomach this regime anymore.

My expectations for next year is a change in leadership.

Last edited:
Sick and tired of these threads year after year.

The fact that this has become an annual debate topic is absolutely appalling. PR gurus within the program and Athl Dept have brainwashed some of you into thinking that mediocrity is ok. This is what we have learned over the last 5-7 years:

1. NIT bids are the equivalent of ncaa bids.
2. .500 is just as good as .700
3. 4th and a double bye is the equivalent of Reg season title.
4. 20-14 is worthy of an extension(s).
5. The Coach isnt willing to change a thing.
6. Fanbase, while smaller than most schools, is loyal and Athl Dept knows they can take advantage of it.
7. Winning is 3rd to getting a donation from you and selling tickets

Only 2 ncaa bids & 1 conf title in 13 seasons, 0 titles & 0 ncaa bids since 2011, just finished Yr 7 of 10 yr contract and nothing to show for it. I have posted previously that I'm going to give Hardt time to make changes, but I just can't stomach this regime anymore.

My expectations for next year is a change in leadership.
Well said 10. We just keep lowering the bar. Where is our quality depth and 6-7 to 6-9 athletic players? That's a big red flag the RTD article. Really that smells like A) some transfers are brewing B) Mooney AGAIN making excuses in case it happens: Well it's big in college basketball, etc. Guess what, the only transfers we have had in the last few years are transfers down. Now we are so bad that guys may be looking to move up. Bad situation. We are in "fetal position" mode with this program. Time for Hardt and Queally to step up.

6'9", 6'4", 6'3", 5'11", and 5'8" (and just one senior) all playing 30+ minutes is not going to get it done at the national (at-large) level.

Mason loses no one, Duquesne was young, St Louis, Dayton, and UMass return just about everyone, VCU gets Evans, Davidson will be competitive, St Joes returns a young nice core + Charlie Brown/Fresh Kimble, lots of holes/gaps on teams will be filled by "plug and play" JUCOs and GTs (like St Bonny did w/ Stockard), etc.

Misery loves company, I'm sure that's why you're here. Your team and coach sucks. We beat you twice.

I expect we will beat VCU twice again.

Win about 20 games go to the NIT. If we go to the NIT next year and think thats an accomplishment I am done. 7 years without an NCAA bid. We improved a lot next year we make it to the NCAA tournament. I could careless about winning a game or two in the NIT. No one remembers who wins the NIT tournament. Unfortunately, we focus on being competitive NOT winning basketball games. Next year 17-20 wins and we make the NCAA tournament should be the minimum period. Done with being average and just making the NIT or the CBI

We do have seniors next year dont want to hear about how young this team is. We will have two Juniors and a senior starting next year.

Reactions: SpiderK

Agreed! How do the Spiders expect to rebound and be a force

Right! Why can't UR recruit athletic guys over 6'5", 6'6", 6'7" who can also shoot? I love our players, but one 6'9" guy can't do it. Also, the system doesn't provide for inside offensive rebounding anyway.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting." – Buddha

I expect I will be watching every game and rooting for the team. I want them to make a big jump and be an NCAA team next year, but I wouldn't bet on it.

But what if you were betting, say, a ranch?

+1 Mo!

Mo's post was one for the ages, and so good I am re-posting it here, for anyone who does not like reading an entire thread.

"My expectations for the next 12 months Of Spider Basketball:

-One grad transfer and one recruited player in the next couple months. People will say both of them are ready to contribute right away. (Neither will)
- We will be predicted to finish about 6th in the league. #Realfans will suggest this is way too low, considering all the players we return.
-They'll hold an open practice one Saturday in the fall during a football tailgate. A handful of #Realfans will report back that several players appear at all American level and the redshirts are ready to contribute in a major way.
- We will host a CAA team in the opener. We will appear sluggish but grind out a win. #Realfans will point out this was way better than the Delaware game in November 2017.
- We will go about 7-5 OOC. With BC, Wake, ODU, @Vermont, @Georgetown already on the schedule, we already have 3 to 4 OOC losses. We will find another one or two.
-Despite the 7-5 OOC record the team will be "starting to gel" around the new year.
- We will go 11-7 in the A10, again sweeping VCU and we will head into the A10 tourney around 4th or 5th seed, 18-12 overall. #Realfans will be VERY happy with the VCU wins.
-Ivan will have been the first caller on Spider Sportsline all season long.
- The AD will be touting sellouts and attendance records on the backs of elementary school giveaways.
- We will sell about 25 ticket booklets to Brooklyn.
- We will get to the A10 semifinal round before bowing out. At 19-13, We will be a marginal NIT team.
- We will get into the NIT and we might even win a game.
- We will be back to hoisting a Kenpom Top 100 banner.
-Once it's over in about 370 days, we will be talking about the big improvement since the 2017-18 season and how promising 2019-20 looks.
-People on this board will still be calling for a change.

Those are my expectations for next year .

4 MolivaManiac, Today at 8:12 AM"

I used to be a great optimist, and the make-up of our current roster is perfect for optimists, since it suggests that we will, with 100% probability have a much better year.

I believe it was "Not a Homer" who shared some wisdom that brought me a different perspective. He noted that we have been basically a .500 team for most of the past 13 years, with mostly a stable coaching staff. He also noted that we seldom fully realize our potential, for one reason or another, and one of those reasons is our bench-coaching.

The optimist side of me says we will be a 20-win team (NIT next year) and an NCAA team the year after that. The realist in me says: Not so quick with the optimism. Us optimists have been burned too many times before. If we get Bryce in here, and a strong other recruit, and if we make one strategic coaching change (a great new assistant), and if we teach the guys to play 3 different defenses that we can rotate among, then I am swayed toward the optimistic side. Otherwise, if we keep doing what we have been doing, hoping it will work better, not so much.

Last edited: Today at 8:47 AM

My expectation is the same record and performance unless the OOC is a cakewalk. The A10 was terrible this year except for 2 teams. The fact that Davidson finished 3rd tells you everything you need to know. Hurley will probably be gone after this year from RI, I don't think Mike Rhoades is the answer for VCU, but he's certainly the answer that helps us. Bonaventure is losing too much. SLU should be better. Dayton will be better in Year 2 of Grant as well.

I don't think its wise to predict next year since it sounds like we may not have the same team back potentially--let's wait to see if we have the core players back. Perhaps Grant will learn to toughen up, maybe rebound and learn to play any kind of defense.

But if I were Hardt, my expectation would be an NCAA appearance or else. There is no other option. We have talent, we're getting a lot better, right? We won't be young anymore, right? Then it shouldn't be hard.

Agree completely! No other option. It's a talented offensive 1st five and maybe helps team to have KF come off the bench and Cayo starts. HOPING Sal is 7th man and JJ as the 8th player. All that is needed and if a surprise additional player comes forth, than better yet.

Of course defense must adjust cause if these guys haven't gotten yet, don't think they will. Maybe as many here have stated over and over again, zone. I mean end of year and Coach K was still using it. I really love watching these guys in the open court ..... but team's profile (short size and short bench) screams slow the pace down ala UVA. Be as efficient as possible per possession.

Would love to see them throw a zone D out there once in a while. Doubt it will ever happen. But having a strong lineup of 8 or even 9, we could see more full court press. With our disruptive backcourt, this would be ideal.

My expectation is that 2-3 kids will transfer, one of which plays significant minutes, next year we continue to have the “we’re young & inexerienced” excuse. After a slow start we win a couple of games down the stretch to get to .500 and give Mooney an extension because “if we keep this group together” we think we’ll make the NCAAs in another 2 years because we found some lightly recruited kids but we think really fit our system. Besides we’ll be closer to being able to say “just wait until 4-5 years after the practice facility opens”.

Reactions: Eight Legger

Sellout streak will end at Siegel Center. That's my prediction.

Reactions: plydogg and SpiderK
My expectation is that 2-3 kids will transfer, one of which plays significant minutes, next year we continue to have the “we’re young & inexerienced” excuse. After a slow start we win a couple of games down the stretch to get to .500 and give Mooney an extension because “if we keep this group together” we think we’ll make the NCAAs in another 2 years because we found some lightly recruited kids but we think really fit our system. Besides we’ll be closer to being able to say “just wait until 4-5 years after the practice facility opens”.
I hope you are completely wrong!!

I hope he is too. Unfortunately, "hope" is not a strategy, though we've been led to believe it is for the past 7 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT