ADVERTISEMENT

What are your expectations for next year?

Mooneys got it made. He can claim youth and inexperience every year thanks to transfers and recruiting misses. Sucker fans will always say the future is bright.

Assuming no unanticipated attrition (Friendshuh anticipated), I would expect that we cannot help but to improve. I would think that the OOC schedule would have to have better results merely due to the top 7 players being familiar with the system and each other. I would love to believe that we will be primed for an NCAA run, but while I think we are young and improving there are also several other schools in our conference doing the same. In the long run I think we will be in that 4th to 6th place range.

My expectation is the same record and performance unless the OOC is a cakewalk. The A10 was terrible this year except for 2 teams. The fact that Davidson finished 3rd tells you everything you need to know. Hurley will probably be gone after this year from RI, I don't think Mike Rhoades is the answer for VCU, but he's certainly the answer that helps us. Bonaventure is losing too much. SLU should be better. Dayton will be better in Year 2 of Grant as well.

I don't think its wise to predict next year since it sounds like we may not have the same team back potentially--let's wait to see if we have the core players back. Perhaps Grant will learn to toughen up, maybe rebound and learn to play any kind of defense.

I think I see him rebound all the time . He even block the shot . I think he plays tough. Every year pivot gets the blames .

Reactions: spiders13
I think I see him rebound all the time . He even block the shot . I think he plays tough. Every year pivot gets the blames .
Fezz, I'm a huge Grant fan. I think he'll clearly go down as the best UR big man ever. he was the best UR freshman big man ever. but he also has so much room for improvement defensively it's scary.

Hey certainly your opinion fezz, no argument that you can't have a valid one, I just disagree. I think he got manhandled by every tough bigs that were down there and got bodied all around in the paint. I don't think he plays any kid of defense, its mainly very passive. He doesn't go up and jam it when needs to down low in the paint on offense instead preferring to sidestep or small hook shots. Those can be effective and I think he puts in more effort on the offensive side, than the defensive. But he's 6'10", he should grabbing everything around the basket on both ends. He avg 6.7 a game, the same approx as Buck--he should be averaging at least double digit rebounds.

Fezz, I'm a huge Grant fan. I think he'll clearly go down as the best UR big man ever. he was the best UR freshman big man ever. but he also has so much room for improvement defensively it's scary.
Yes he does and will improve on defense. TJ wasn’t good defensively his first two years but improved his last year. They were both saddled with the no backup problem. If either was in foul trouble, we were screwed. I thought Grant did a marvelous job of staying out of foul trouble for a freshman.

My expectations for the next 12 months Of Spider Basketball:

-One grad transfer and one recruited player in the next couple months. People will say both of them are ready to contribute right away. (Neither will)
- We will be predicted to finish about 6th in the league. #Realfans will suggest this is way too low, considering all the players we return.
-They'll hold an open practice one Saturday in the fall during a football tailgate. A handful of #Realfans will report back that several players appear at all American level and the redshirts are ready to contribute in a major way.
- We will host a CAA team in the opener. We will appear sluggish but grind out a win. #Realfans will point out this was way better than the Delaware game in November 2017.
- We will go about 7-5 OOC. With BC, Wake, ODU, @Vermont, @Georgetown already on the schedule, we already have 3 to 4 OOC losses. We will find another one or two.
-Despite the 7-5 OOC record the team will be "starting to gel" around the new year.
- We will go 11-7 in the A10, again sweeping VCU and we will head into the A10 tourney around 4th or 5th seed, 18-12 overall. #Realfans will be VERY happy with the VCU wins.
-Ivan will have been the first caller on Spider Sportsline all season long.
- The AD will be touting sellouts and attendance records on the backs of elementary school giveaways.
- We will sell about 25 ticket booklets to Brooklyn.
- We will get to the A10 semifinal round before bowing out. At 19-13, We will be a marginal NIT team.
- We will get into the NIT and we might even win a game.
- We will be back to hoisting a Kenpom Top 100 banner.
-Once it's over in about 370 days, we will be talking about the big improvement since the 2017-18 season and how promising 2019-20 looks.
-People on this board will still be calling for a change.

Those are my expectations for next year .

This is a long list and I can't disagree with a single point. Why, because we have seen this almost exact script the past 7 years.

Yes he does and will improve on defense. TJ wasn’t good defensively his first two years but improved his last year. They were both saddled with the no backup problem. If either was in foul trouble, we were screwed. I thought Grant did a marvelous job of staying out of foul trouble for a freshman.
that may be it ... maybe he was doing as designed to stay out of foul trouble. but we're always going to need him to stay out of foul trouble because of his importance on the offensive side. somehow the defense has to improve without fouling.

Reactions: SpiderK
Sick and tired of these threads year after year.

The fact that this has become an annual debate topic is absolutely appalling. PR gurus within the program and Athl Dept have brainwashed some of you into thinking that mediocrity is ok. This is what we have learned over the last 5-7 years:

1. NIT bids are the equivalent of ncaa bids.
2. .500 is just as good as .700
3. 4th and a double bye is the equivalent of Reg season title.
4. 20-14 is worthy of an extension(s).
5. The Coach isnt willing to change a thing.
6. Fanbase, while smaller than most schools, is loyal and Athl Dept knows they can take advantage of it.
7. Winning is 3rd to getting a donation from you and selling tickets

Only 2 ncaa bids & 1 conf title in 13 seasons, 0 titles & 0 ncaa bids since 2011, just finished Yr 7 of 10 yr contract and nothing to show for it. I have posted previously that I'm going to give Hardt time to make changes, but I just can't stomach this regime anymore.

My expectations for next year is a change in leadership.
Excellent post. Facts matter! How can you argue with these facts or dismiss them? Mediocrity lives on for another season.

Hope Hardt reads the quoted post.

Reactions: Eight Legger
that may be it ... maybe he was doing as designed to stay out of foul trouble. but we're always going to need him to stay out of foul trouble because of his importance on the offensive side. somehow the defense has to improve without fouling.
He will improve on defense significantly with two things: (1) adjustments in system that don’t expose him to mismatches and (2) having a second big so he isn’t always the help defender.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Yes, this is a huge problem. TJ essentially could not play defense because he was too valuable and there was not back up. Same thing is happening with Grant. We need competition inside and a guy that can come in and give us 4-7 minutes of production when needed.

He will improve on defense significantly with two things: (1) adjustments in system that don’t expose him to mismatches and (2) having a second big so he isn’t always the help defender.
I'm not talking about scheme issues. I don't expect him to stay with a guard, and don't blame him if his guy scores when he's the help defender.

I'm talking about him being a below average post defender, in my opinion, when he has the size and athleticism to be a very good defender. and again ... I'm a huge fan. love the guy. it's a weakness that he can turn into a strength. and I think he will.

If team stays intact, I am expecting 8-4 OCC and 14-4 in A-10. 22-8 overall. A-10 is losing many of the players that beat us this year. 77 points is enough, it will all depend on defensive improvement.
Going 8 and 4 OOC is easy just schedule cupcakes.

Reactions: urfan1
Look at it this way - this year we finished 12-20. We would have to flip our record next year to be in NCAA contention, and realistically that might not even get us in with a 20-12 record. Bubble likely - but seeing the selections this year, they will favor the power 5 conferences.

We still have no depth at this point and next year our depth will be Johnson and 2 frosh off the bench. So our depth will likely be inconsistent as that is my expectation for frosh - ups and downs all season. Not to mention - I think teams figure our and gameplan better for Golden so I don't see him putting up better numbers.

Ideally - next year should be an NCAA or bust year. But since it looks like Mooney is staying. realistically I think that NCAA year is not next year, but the year after. So next season we win 16-18 games, and maybe sniff the NIT, but no postseason again. Then following year we win 22-23 games and make the NCAA.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
... next year our depth will be Johnson and 2 frosh off the bench.
you forgot Cayo. unless you're starting Cayo/Sal at the 4 and then moving a really good guard to 6th man. I'm a fan of that.
agreed freshmen will probably be inconsistent but at least 3 of them have learned the system and been through the weight training.

Sellout streak will end at Siegel Center. That's my prediction.

Not likely. We are on a three year rotation for re-seating right now, although they can extend to up to five years. But if they keep on the three year schedule, 2019-20 will be a re-seating year. So I'd expect most people keep their seats one more year, just in case we have a good year and they want to be sure they get seats the next year. There is still a waiting list.

A couple of points you have to remember- First, the good seats sell out preseason. They have programs in place for the cheap seats if the demand is not there. Second, most RAM fans expected this to be an off year. If we continue to slide, they will just re-schedule the re-seating for a year or two. That will give them some breathing room.

Then you have the demand for tickets from people who don't have season tickets. Even with the off year, ticket sales were just as strong. I have extras that I sell on StubHub. I made just as much money on those sales this year as I did the last couple. In fact, if VCU were to call me and offer me extras I'd buy a couple of extra sets to sell. I more than double my investment every year.

And for the record, you can thank your ticket office for me, for forcing me to buy the 8 Pack to get tickets for the VCU game. I got great seats for the VCU game and made money on the other seven games as well. It turned out to be a good year for ticket sales at UR, even if people could get a pizza and ticket for five dollars. I'm actually considering buying season tickets next year to UR to get even better seats.

While we lost the game at UR this year, it was a great game. I don't see us losing both games next year. I'll call it a split now. We won't be as bad as people think. We lose a really good player in Tillman, but Evans can make up the points. We have our eyes on a couple JUCOs and Grad-Ts. One I heard about at the A-10 would start for any A-10 team. And we most likely will have NO seniors next year, less any Grad-T. So the team you play next year will be the same team as 2019-20. Most VCU fans are targeting 19-20 as a year to go deep in the NCAA.

So goodby for now. Have a great off-season. And please tell your ticket office they can stop calling me and sending me e-mails every day. They don't have to, I plan on buying tickets anyway.

We lose a few kids to transfer, have another .500 season, and CM says the transfers really hurt us and they they transferred because of the of the mean-spirited and hurtful posts on this board. He goes on to say that negativity and pessimism on our basketball board have hamstrung his recruiting efforts for many years (apparently athletic big men are particularly sensitive to this). Oh, and also that we are young and inexperienced.

1. There will be a sunrise and sunset every day next year.

2.The average daytime temperature here will be 82.

3.There will be snow in Buffalo sometimes.

4.Iceland will have 21 hours of daylight in July.

5.UR footballers have 6 home games and play a total of 8 games in the Commonwealth.

5.UR’s endowment will increase by $200million.

Not likely. We are on a three year rotation for re-seating right now, although they can extend to up to five years. But if they keep on the three year schedule, 2019-20 will be a re-seating year. So I'd expect most people keep their seats one more year, just in case we have a good year and they want to be sure they get seats the next year. There is still a waiting list.

A couple of points you have to remember- First, the good seats sell out preseason. They have programs in place for the cheap seats if the demand is not there. Second, most RAM fans expected this to be an off year. If we continue to slide, they will just re-schedule the re-seating for a year or two. That will give them some breathing room.

Then you have the demand for tickets from people who don't have season tickets. Even with the off year, ticket sales were just as strong. I have extras that I sell on StubHub. I made just as much money on those sales this year as I did the last couple. In fact, if VCU were to call me and offer me extras I'd buy a couple of extra sets to sell. I more than double my investment every year.

And for the record, you can thank your ticket office for me, for forcing me to buy the 8 Pack to get tickets for the VCU game. I got great seats for the VCU game and made money on the other seven games as well. It turned out to be a good year for ticket sales at UR, even if people could get a pizza and ticket for five dollars. I'm actually considering buying season tickets next year to UR to get even better seats.

While we lost the game at UR this year, it was a great game. I don't see us losing both games next year. I'll call it a split now. We won't be as bad as people think. We lose a really good player in Tillman, but Evans can make up the points. We have our eyes on a couple JUCOs and Grad-Ts. One I heard about at the A-10 would start for any A-10 team. And we most likely will have NO seniors next year, less any Grad-T. So the team you play next year will be the same team as 2019-20. Most VCU fans are targeting 19-20 as a year to go deep in the NCAA.

So goodby for now. Have a great off-season. And please tell your ticket office they can stop calling me and sending me e-mails every day. They don't have to, I plan on buying tickets anyway.
Thanks for the novel Brother Rick. Our beloved Lambs will be back strong next year. I truly believe that Rhoades is not mediocre like Mooney - even if everyone is saying it. We will beat ticks twice (or three times) next year. Keep believing. I know Slick Willy's practices may hamstring Coach Rhoades, but in 3-4 years we should be back getting NCAA bids, I know it.

Going 8 and 4 OOC is easy just schedule cupcakes.
Problem is we already have a fair number of games scheduled, and not many cupcakes among them. See the other thread about the schedule next year. We may have room for 2 or 3 cupcakes, but we are going to have to earn the rest. Which I'm fine with. It should be a make-or-break OOC for Mooney. If he doesn't win at least 8 or 9 games, fire him and let Jenkins coach the team during league play.

Cupcakes don't earn NCAA bids. Look no further than Saint Mary's this year. They were ranked in the top 25 for much of the year and went 28-5 including 11-2 out of conference.

But they had an easy out of conference schedule, lost in their conference tournament and it put them on the wrong side of the bubble.

Schedule as many tough games as you can. If the team is good enough, they will win a few of them and put us in position for an at large. If we get blasted then we probably weren't a tourney team anyway.

My expectations for the next 12 months Of Spider Basketball:

-One grad transfer and one recruited player in the next couple months. People will say both of them are ready to contribute right away. (Neither will)
- We will be predicted to finish about 6th in the league. #Realfans will suggest this is way too low, considering all the players we return.
-They'll hold an open practice one Saturday in the fall during a football tailgate. A handful of #Realfans will report back that several players appear at all American level and the redshirts are ready to contribute in a major way.
- We will host a CAA team in the opener. We will appear sluggish but grind out a win. #Realfans will point out this was way better than the Delaware game in November 2017.
- We will go about 7-5 OOC. With BC, Wake, ODU, @Vermont, @Georgetown already on the schedule, we already have 3 to 4 OOC losses. We will find another one or two.
-Despite the 7-5 OOC record the team will be "starting to gel" around the new year.
- We will go 11-7 in the A10, again sweeping VCU and we will head into the A10 tourney around 4th or 5th seed, 18-12 overall. #Realfans will be VERY happy with the VCU wins.
-Ivan will have been the first caller on Spider Sportsline all season long.
- The AD will be touting sellouts and attendance records on the backs of elementary school giveaways.
- We will sell about 25 ticket booklets to Brooklyn.
- We will get to the A10 semifinal round before bowing out. At 19-13, We will be a marginal NIT team.
- We will get into the NIT and we might even win a game.
- We will be back to hoisting a Kenpom Top 100 banner.
-Once it's over in about 370 days, we will be talking about the big improvement since the 2017-18 season and how promising 2019-20 looks.
-People on this board will still be calling for a change.

Those are my expectations for next year .
+1 The only thing Mo left out was that #Realfans will lobby for and get a 1 year extension for "His Eminence" based on the winning season

+1 The only thing Mo left out was that #Realfans will lobby for and get a 1 year extension for "His Eminence" based on the winning season

I made a joke of it earlier but now I realize it actually is true that every discussion on every thread that lasts long enough will at some point come down to pro vs. anti Mooney. Even if it wasn't even being discussed someone will make it about that.

5 returning starters, top 2 subs return, others in league lose significant talent - should be top 2 in league with great OOC record based on schedule and returning personnel + redshirt help & Solly (if as advertised by some) and make dance. I expect UR contends for NIT bid based on past and some extol great turnaround and coaching.

It is what I would expect for a program with that much personnel returning in a league that has most teams losing their horses and with that OOC. I expect that should happen but do not believe it will as lacking key ingredient.

It is what I would expect for a program with that much personnel returning in a league that has most teams losing their horses and with that OOC. I expect that should happen but do not believe it will as lacking key ingredient.
if we returned everyone from a 17 win team, I'd agree with the expectations. we won 12 games. and the league has plenty of talent coming back.

fmrick. Where are your seats at RC?

I made a joke of it earlier but now I realize it actually is true that every discussion on every thread that lasts long enough will at some point come down to pro vs. anti Mooney. Even if it wasn't even being discussed someone will make it about that.
Where is the DISLIKE button for this drivel when you need it. JK, good post. I am also tired about this being a referendum about Mooney. I mean he is the guy getting paid 1.2 to win games, but let's let him slide.

Reactions: Hanca and plydogg
Where is the DISLIKE button for this drivel when you need it. JK, good post. I am also tired about this being a referendum about Mooney. I mean he is the guy getting paid 1.2 to win games, but let's let him slide.

There is a thread on the NIT that about 6 posts in turned into bashing Mooney. It is really annoying to not be able to have any thread have any actual substance without it. I don't care if people discuss it in a thread but why does it have to invade every thread

There is a thread on the NIT that about 6 posts in turned into bashing Mooney. It is really annoying to not be able to have any thread have any actual substance without it. I don't care if people discuss it in a thread but why does it have to invade every thread

It would be interesting to keep track of the average number of posts it takes. There are some posters that literally only post about firing Moony, and they seem to do so in all threads no matter the topic.

fmrick. Where are your seats at RC?

They were in section 15 on the isle about 10 rows up. I was told that I needed to be a season ticket holder to get the center sections. Being on the isle between 15 and 16 put me as close as you could get without actually being there.

This is one of the reasons I will most likely buy season tickets next year. I use the VCU ticket and sell the rest. Hopefully, I'll recover my investment.

Zzzzzzzzzz

If we get Bryce it will be a game changer. Our top 7 players are all coming back. Many of them are already very good and should be even better next year. I am especially optimistic on Cayo's continual improvement. With the addition of Sal and possibly a couple of red shirts we might go from the smallest team in the A10 to one of the biggest. We may also go from a week bench to struggling to find enough minutes for all the great player we have.

With Bryce I think we win 24 games next year and 27 games the following year with 2 NCAA appearances.

If we get Bryce it will be a game changer. Our top 7 players are all coming back. Many of them are already very good and should be even better next year. I am especially optimistic on Cayo's continual improvement. With the addition of Sal and possibly a couple of red shirts we might go from the smallest team in the A10 to one of the biggest. We may also go from a week bench to struggling to find enough minutes for all the great player we have.

With Bryce I think we win 24 games next year and 27 games the following year with 2 NCAA appearances.
Agree. Think we make the NCAA next year; add Bryce, we make a run. Roll Spide!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT