ADVERTISEMENT

VCU Game Thread at the Stu- 4pm Sat ESPNU/ESPN+ (?)

The nice thing about this game is that we are 3 games up on them already with only 10 to go. They still have to play 4 games against us and Dayton. We should go in confident and relaxed.

Why did they schedule the lacrosse game and the basketball game the same afternoon.?
A huge bb game I realize, but a national champion lacrosse team coming in to town
to play at Robins.
Typical of the way we do things

We don't pick the times of away basketball games, especially ones where ESPN 'tells' A10, we want the Richm/VCU game at 4pm.

The nice thing about this game is that we are 3 games up on them already with only 10 to go. They still have to play 4 games against us and Dayton. We should go in confident and relaxed.

We’re in a good spot w a10 positioning. This is about at large prospects at this point. So there’s pressure but we should be confident. If we’re in mix I do think this could be our 2nd best win on resume. AT vcu stands out, more recognition given their history.

Feels like we r due but it should feel like that when 8-24. And while there r new faces I think players do carry that burden. Huge game.

I agree. They have zero inside game on O. Also no one big and strong enough to guard Quinn in the post. The question to me is how much will Quinn be on the block. I would hope very often to take full advantage of his advantage in the post. They will have to send a double team at him which should lead to open shots. Crush the Lambs!
Agreed. Watched the big guy from St. Bonnie (Venning) just manhandle VCU inside, they just had no one to match him.

There 3 "bigs" are:
Kauny 6'9 200
Lawal 6'8 200
Fermin 6'10 225

Neil is 7'0 260 and Walz is 6'11 255. I think VCU has to try and get Neil in foul trouble and we have to feed Neil in the box as much as we can. If they end up doubling Neil, good luck, I like our 4 guys to make em pay.

Bamisile worries me the most even though he comes off the bench. Think Dji needs to be on him when he's in the game so doubt Dji will see much much bench time on Sat.
Bam is a good scorer. Definitely need to shut him down. He is getting good minutes. The transfer from Utah St is also a heady player that can put up points. Shut those 2 down, and we should be in good shape. Need a good defensive and offensive effort. We will win.

Last edited:
I say this half-jokingly, but I'd almost rather let Bamisile score 30, because he'll probably take 30 shots to do so and completely take the other scoring options they have out of the mix in the process.

So excited for this game. Mooney and Co got a lot of heat for losing Nelson to a rival and what that said about our program. But he went out and got 3 guards who are all better than Nelson. Hunt and King are obvious and Tyne is miles better on defense and a better overall player (if not this year, next few years for sure). Time to prove it head to head on Saturday

Reactions: spider23 and urfan1
Although our record is nearly reversed, I’m hoping for a game like January 2018.

Although our record is nearly reversed, I’m hoping for a game like January 2018.
That would be nice. Havent watched the Rams much this year but see the record, and I have seen almostvall Spider games and think that if the team has a typically good night Spiders should get the W. Fear I have is if King is cold (rare) and the crowd and moment are too big for the others to take up the slack. Even in that scenario there is a good chance the D will stand up well and Bailey, Quinn, and co can score enough to pull out a W.

That would be nice. Havent watched the Rams much this year but see the record, and I have seen almostvall Spider games and think that if the team has a typically good night Spiders should get the W. Fear I have is if King is cold (rare) and the crowd and moment are too big for the others to take up the slack. Even in that scenario there is a good chance the D will stand up well and Bailey, Quinn, and co can score enough to pull out a W.
It appears their fans are worried about finding a way to stop King & Quinn (might get blindsided by Dji). They are completely ignoring figuring out how they are going to score. They are so used to us having a soft defense. (But not this time)

Since the lacrosse game will be over before the basketball games starts it is not an issue. Both are important games ...................
But all that travel time between locations…
[/QUOTE]
It appears their fans are worried about finding a way to stop King & Quinn (might get blindsided by Dji). They are completely ignoring figuring out how they are going to score. They are so used to us having a soft defense. (But not this time)
what we have in our favor is the senior factor of our players (experience).

Since their crowd will be wearing white…what uniforms will we have tomorrow?

Mooney on JayNel. Obviously diplomatic.

Yet he’s moved on to VCU, and we went into the portal finding much better guards than he showed us. Granted King is a grad student, but I be shocked if Jaynel ever approaches 1/2 of what King has shown us. I’ll also take Hunt 8 days a week over the Vcu transfer. And as others have pointed out, Tyne’s defense dwarfs that of Jaynel. Not dissing on J… just keeping it real.

So excited for this game. Mooney and Co got a lot of heat for losing Nelson to a rival and what that said about our program. But he went out and got 3 guards who are all better than Nelson. Hunt and King are obvious and Tyne is miles better on defense and a better overall player (if not this year, next few years for sure). Time to prove it head to head on Saturday
Nelson not getting love on their board..certainly not during the SBU game.

I think this has been Coach Mooney best coaching effort. He replaced Nelson and Tyler Burton. He has really improved the defense. What he did against Dayton was masterful. He outcoached Anthony Grant. He has melded the team and fostered team chemistry. He has brought the best out of King, Quinn, and Bigelow. I especially like what has happened with Dji Bailey.

I disagree with your 1st sentence. I thought it was pretty obvious he would transfer when the coach benched him and his minutes dropped. He was not a good fit for our program and potentially cost us a few games last year. Not being a good fit with our program is not saying he is a bad player, it is saying he would do better in a different environment. I was happy to see him transfer to VCU and hope he does well there, with the exception of when he plays the Spiders.

I agree with the rest. We have at least 3 very strong guards. Mooney has said over and over again that Tyne will be an exceptional player, which is going to be great seeing him reach full potential.

I will say it is very interesting to compare VCU and Odom's season to that of Utah State. Utah State lost 100% of scoring and is 19-2, 29 Kenpom ranked with new coach Sprinkle. VCU fans cannot seem figure out what to think of Odom this season. Typically in the past u kind of give a new coach a couple years to get his guys in, but that buffer no longer exists, and his replacement certainly hit the ground running.

Hopefully both VCU and Utah State lose today.

I disagree with your 1st sentence. I thought it was pretty obvious he would transfer when the coach benched him and his minutes dropped. He was not a good fit for our program and potentially cost us a few games last year. Not being a good fit with our program is not saying he is a bad player, it is saying he would do better in a different environment. I was happy to see him transfer to VCU and hope he does well there, with the exception of when he plays the Spiders.

I agree with the rest. We have at least 3 very strong guards. Mooney has said over and over again that Tyne will be an exceptional player, which is going to be great seeing him reach full potential.
You disagree that he is so excited for this game?

Spider Tarantula GIF by GrandCanyonTV

Reactions: urfan1 and whampas
Nice waking up today knowing Havoc is dead. They’ve got a coach now that wants to play more like us than how they’ve been playing for the last 15 years. We have the better team - need to go there and show it.
The win over them in 2022 was nice on our way to the NCAA's, but I want more. I want them to have no hope for the rest of the season knowing we are the superior team and beginning questioning if they made the right hire. We don't do that with an L today. Don't give them hope, don't give them an inch, historically they take a mile if you do.

The win over them in 2022 was nice on our way to the NCAA's, but I want more. I want them to have no hope for the rest of the season knowing we are the superior team and beginning questioning if they made the right hire. We don't do that with an L today. Don't give them hope, don't give them an inch, historically they take a mile if you do.
Totally agree. Fvcu.

Reactions: Eight Legger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT