ADVERTISEMENT

VCU Game Thread at the Stu- 4pm Sat ESPNU/ESPN+ (?)

Sure yeah Bronco. Keep trying. Maybe someone eventually will come up with someone worse.

VCU was our last game. But here we go with questioning fandom. I've defended u more than anyone on here btw. But do we have to start again with how u ignored Spiders altogether while u posted as fan on VT boards for years. Nobody can question my love of the Spiders. I think I'm the 2nd or 3rd longest tenure poster on here fwiw.

As I pointed out it's almost impossible to not have a couple big wins against VCU in 33! tries.

We are 8-25. I simply have pointed out how epically and comically bad it is. Admit the problem, then solve the problem. Denial never works. We have denial at UR. Anything Mooney has done to this point doesn't work. Same coach here, revolving door at VCU. Advantage UR? You'd think but its the opposite.

So it's time to celebrate being all time at something. We are the best at being the worst. It is an amazing accomplishment. Imagine all the extra attention it would bring. I'm trying to help the program. Put me in PR. Everyone in country would be rooting for little UR.
Spoken like someone who hates our school and our program. Go find another team.

Spoken like someone who hates our school and our program. Go find another team.
Good lord man. Really? Yeah, GK must REALLY hate our school and program to spend 30 years posting about it on the message board and attending and watching games. What an ass he is.

It's your absolutist, hyper defensive posts like this that make it so obvious you have some personal connection to Mooney and/or the program. Literally no one else on this board behaves this defensively all the time.

way off topic, but I was watching the end of Clemson's win @ UNC last night and the announcer said this win brings Clemson's career record at Chapel Hill to 2-60.

holy cow. I know UNC is a historic program, but 2-60? Clemson's had some good teams, no?

and former Spider target Ian Schieffelin is averaging almost 10 rpg in the ACC. that's crazy. he's not very big and doesn't seem like a special athlete. he just goes and gets it. really impressive.

VT, everyone is thrilled with the way things are going this season. But we're also all pretty pissed that we have lost 3 of every 4 games to our arch rival. It's fine if that doesn't bother you, but it bothers pretty much everyone else here. And no, the solution isn't to tell us all to go root for someone else. This is our school.

No matter what timeframe you use, we suck against them. We are 0-3 in our last 3 against them. We are 2-9 in our last 11 against them. Etc. It was fantastic to knock them out of the A10 a few years ago, end their season and launch ourselves to the tournament, but that's literally the only time we've ever had a moment like that against them under Mooney.

It's just super frustrating and annoying beyond words that we have to deal with this typically twice every single year. It would be different if we at least held serve at home regularly, but we don't.

I happen to think we are going to annihilate them in a few weeks and I can't wait, but history suggests I shouldn't be that confident.
Hey a Mich and Ohio State Football coach or two have been pushed out with winning records over losing to their rival.
It has been said multiple times that the VCU rivalry is not a true rivalry cause we cannot beat them consistently. I am a 76er and I cannot tell you how much I hate losing to those SOBs. I see them reload coaches and continue to own us. Maybe Monney should have an incentive clause that is based on these two games. 0-2 you lose percentage of pay, 1-1 you stay where you are and 2-0 you gain bonus.

Do you not think that maybe people strongly defend Mooney on here because of all the hate thrown his way on here? Doesn't matter if we go 24-7, win the A-10 tourney, or start 8-1 IC, there will always be hate for Mooney on here. Yet, instead of questioning why, after we start 8-1 IC, you choose to get on those defending Mooney? Whatever.
24-7

This board really sucks. You guys have fun being all upset about being 8-1 IC right now. I will be enjoying the ride without your crap.

Reactions: BillyWayne
Want the students there in force! They did a terrific job in the Dayton game and their enthusiasm was totally contagious. Don't know how it works - do they have to get a ticket in advance or just show their ID at the gate?

Reactions: urfan1
Typically they just have to show ID. I guess it's first come, first served unless they decide to implement a booking system for this one.

The game plan to double him was smart. We didn't adjust very well and the ball didn't come out of the doubles fast enough. I thought maybe we figured it out starting the 2nd but only for a few possessions. I feel confident we will get that figured out.
Agree Spider Dad but arent all teams doubling King at this point? Was VCU so much better than all others? CM has to expect this every game and have an andwer for it, not just “lets hope the others come through.”

We sold out 5 A-10 games last year.

I meant VCU is the 1 game we consistently sell out annually. It's the 1 game we know we'll get a sellout. Any other sellouts are variable. It's not like we sell out Davidson or Mason every year.

We obviously don't play most teams at home every year, plus there was a COVID year in there recently where we had nobody in attendance.

But of course, I'll agree VCU is a steady sellout...if there happens to be any shortfall in UR demand, we've still got all the VCU fans buying season tickets and reselling our other games for a profit, or so I've heard.

We obviously don't play most teams at home every year, plus there was a COVID year in there recently where we had nobody in attendance.

But of course, I'll agree VCU is a steady sellout...if there happens to be any shortfall in UR demand, we've still got all the VCU fans buying season tickets and reselling our other games for a profit, or so I've heard.
Please explain how…

Interesting. Any reason for that? It seemed to be a success how they were doing it.
I'm not sure what prompted the change. I rather enjoyed seeing vcu fans being priced out on the secondary market in years past. We will see what their presence is like on game day. I was talking to my main college hoops buddy at work about our last game and how we could have really taken the wind out of their sails and had an RC that more closely resembles their arena in terms of home vs away fan distribution for the return matchup. But alas, I think they are now just more emboldened so that combined with anyone being able to buy tickets, we need to come out hot because want to shut them up EARLY

Reactions: urfan1
How many rivalry coaches have even been at the same place for 20 years? 1. There are not that many coaches who coached at the same place for 20 years. 2. Very few of those that did even had a rival. But, whatever, keep having fun with your "worse rivalry coach.........longer than 19 years.....in one place". LOL.

UVA football coaches are 1-18 against VT since VT joined the ACC in 2004. Al Groh was 1-8 against them. Mike London 0-6. Bronco was 1-5. Tony Elliott 0-1. But, I guess it doesn't count because none were there 20 years.

Bruce Weber went 3-20 against Kansas, but wasn't there 20 years....so again, I guess it doesn't count.
You realize only the newb in that list is there anymore right? That’s pretty much GKs point.

It’s ok if you want to argue the vagaries of if it’s more or less egregious than other loss records against rivalries, but there’s really no denying it’s epically bad. I mean, it is. Is he .000? No, but most coaches don’t get to -17 against their rival because most programs won’t keep them around long enough to amass that poor of a showing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT