ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler entering portal

Personally think it’s more than NIL dinero.UR basketball last season was a less than .500 team.This upcoming UR season will be no better,likely worse.The A10 is not a power conference and national exposure is quite limited. The A10 had just 1 entry to the recent Big Dance-its AQ. If Tyler had stayed he would have been burdened with producing much of the UR offense and rebounding .With a P5 school,likely the BE,he’ll still get his 15-20 per night,play against stiffer competition,get constant exposure and be part of the Big Dance come next March.This can only benefit him in the eyes of the NBA powerbrokers.

wasn't all that heavily recruited. was ranked #30 in New England. he's now considered to have borderline NBA potential.

interesting take to think he didn't develop at Richmond.
Well said Sman. Good reply to such a typical factless comment on here.

U need to have a comment when your best player enters portal. U need to comment when a player transfers to crosstown rival in unprecedented move. We do some things at high level then other times it’s a mom n pop operation imo.

Frustrating offseason.
Why does a coach need to comment when his best player enters the portal? I'm sure he will comment after Tyler lands somewhere, likely praising him and wishing him the best. What is Mooney supposed to say now? He has done nothing but praise and support Tyler for 4 years, calling him a future NBA player from pretty much day 1, and mentioning last year, how he would support Tyler with whatever decision he makes, just like he has already done this year. Geez, what more do you need?

It's so typical of this board to turn Tyler's decision into another attack on Mooney. We have heard on this board by multiple posters for 2 or 3 of the past off seasons that no way would Burton stay here after years 2 and then 3, and he would certainly transfer. Same about Jacob and Grant. Yet, Grant stays 6 years, Jacob 5, and Tyler 4, and somehow Tyler's decision is turned into another Mooney attack??

As for Nelson, he did comment on Nelson. Sometimes you say less out of respect for the player.

Last edited:
Well. This is a step in the direction of canning Mooney. Having faithful players who loved him was his ONLY selling point.

We'll find out soon whether we care at all about the program. If we do, we'll realize how much Mooney has destroyed the program and bring in a real coach and find the money for NILs. Either way, my interest has taken a very big hit. It is not much fun for it to be all about money with no loyalty to the school.

Apparently, I'm the only one who sees it this way, but Tyler's past contribution to UR take a huge hit for walking away from our school. I don't feel he's a Real Spider any longer.

Well. This is a step in the direction of canning Mooney. Having faithful players who loved him was his ONLY selling point.

We'll find out soon whether we care at all about the program. If we do, we'll realize how much Mooney has destroyed the program and bring in a real coach and find the money for NILs. Either way, my interest has taken a very big hit. It is not much fun for it to be all about money with no loyalty to the school.

Apparently, I'm the only one who sees it this way, but Tyler's past contribution to UR take a huge hit for walking away from our school. I don't feel he's a Real Spider any longer.
re: TB not a Real Spider anymore? um ok .. he did everything right during his 4 years representing the University and every game he gave passion. Any reason he has for moving on doesn't change my opinion that I will look forward to win he enters the Spiders Hall of Fame in 10 or 20 years.

Last edited:

The dude has a UR degree. No different than anyone who got an undergraduate degree and moved on to a different school for more education. He was gifted another year of basketball eligibility the pandemic. GIFTED.

Agree with everything except the TB part. I understand the frustration though, but I think Burton realized that Mooney was not going to be his path to the NBA. Better to go to a major program with a legit coach and get better, get paid, get to the tournament, and get exposure. None of that was going to happen here this year.

Wow. So, Grant and Nick staying 6 years, Jacob and Nate 5, and Tyler entering the portal after 4 years means Mooney has destroyed the program because his players don't have loyalty and just chase the money???? Sorry, but that is a ridiculous thing to say.

And, you can have your opinion about Tyler all you want, but I could not disagree more. He gave us 4 great years. He could have transferred to 300+ programs after his 2nd and 3rd year. He chose to stay, even after making the dance and kowing last year would be without Jacob, Grant, Nate, and Nick. He is 100% a Spider to me, and I will always respect the heck out of him for being a great talent who was all about the team on the court, and a high character, class act guy off the court.

Yes, I agree Mooney's main selling point (family, player loyalty) has taken a huge hit this year. We now have 4 players enter the portal this year.

Disagree on TB not being a real spider. He was here for 4 years, got his degree. The only reason he has a 5th year is because of Covid, he should be able to enjoy that bonus year, however he likes. And really can you blame him. Would you want to return to team where you did everything that was asked of you and more and the team finished 12 in the league last year and then lost a bunch of core players from it. I wouldn't. I don't blame him for wanting to spend his last year in college on a team that has an opportunity to play in March, cause that in all liklihood is not us.

Why does a coach need to comment when his best player enters the portal? I'm sure he will comment after Tyler lands somewhere, likely praising him and wishing him the best. What is Mooney supposed to say now? He has done nothing but praise and support Tyler for 4 years, calling him a future NBA player from pretty much day 1, and mentioning last year, how he would support Tyler with whatever decision he makes, just like he has already done this year. Geez, what more do you need?

It's so typical of this board to turn Tyler's decision into another attack on Mooney. We have heard on this board by multiple posters for 2 or 3 of the past off seasons that no way would Burton stay here after years 2 and then 3, and he would certainly transfer. Same about Jacob and Grant. Yet, Grant stays 6 years, Jacob 5, and Tyler 4, and somehow Tyler's decision is turned into another Mooney attack??

As for Nelson, he did comment on Nelson. Sometimes you say less out of respect for the player.
It seems like this is more an indictment of the administration of the program than of Mooney, specifically.

For example, when Hailey Van Lith transferred from Louisville two months ago, Jeff Walz said this: "“We thank Hailey for her contributions to this program, this school and this community. She has done everything we have asked of her over the past three years, and we wish her the very best in her final collegiate season and beyond.”

How hard is it to literally release a statement like that and just have Mooney sign off on it?

In my opinion, there are only two reasons to not handle this that way:

1. There's a chance Tyler returns (which apparently, sadly, isn't the case).

2. There's not a significant enough focus on the things necessary to run a high level program from an administrative/PR perspective.

I appreciate everyone has a difference of opinion on Mooney, but everyone feels the same way about Tyler and for the administration not to release a coordinated statement about his service to the University and this program immediately after he enters the portal seems just really indifferent AT BEST.

It feels like we're running the program as if no one is watching. And ultimately, maybe no one is.... and thats one of the main reasons.

Would not call that an attack. That's an over the top characterization. I've long had an issue with our media approach this just affirms it further. He no commented. I think a mistake. It's newsworthy. Your fanbase is interested. It's visibility, good or bad. Need to push the brand regardless. Long term it's better payoff and we have much room to improve that. Good news is more fun, but got to be consistent either way. After a vcu road loss we don't share postgame interviews. Or even with Twitter updates if the game is going bad u shouldn't avoid it. We avoid regularly. Done by others too, the 76ers I read took over a day to post anything after loss to celtics, but they also took a lot of mocking for that. We don't have a news cycle like a pro team tho either.

u don't agree, nor did I expect u to agree. But I think very reasonable to expect media engagement. It is not Mooney strong suit that is for sure even with 20 years of practice.

Re: Nelson yes he commented. On entering portal, but that was BEFORE the transfer to VCU. If you go back I specifically said comment on the transfer TO VCU. because that was unprecedented move between conference intra city rivals. That is a brand new info, even the bigger part of the story. It deserves own commentary imo. When u r 8-24 vs VCU I'm sure he may not like having to address it, but really that is your responsibility as the highest profile U of R employee. Now it it possible JOC didn't ask him? Maybe, I grant u JOC doesn't push hard. But in this case I fully expected he asked too.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Would not call that an attack. That's an over the top characterization. I've long had an issue with our media approach this just affirms it further. He no commented. I think a mistake. It's newsworthy. Your fanbase is interested. It's visibility, good or bad. Need to push the brand regardless. Long term it's better payoff and we have much room to improve that. Good news is more fun, but got to be consistent either way. After a vcu road loss we don't share postgame interviews. Or even with Twitter updates if the game is going bad u shouldn't avoid it. We avoid regularly. Done by others too, the 76ers I read took over a day to post anything after loss to celtics, but they also took a lot of mocking for that. We don't have a news cycle like a pro team tho either.

u don't agree, nor did I expect u to agree. But I think very reasonable to expect media engagement. It is not Mooney strong suit that is for sure even with 20 years of practice.

Re: Nelson yes he commented. On entering portal, but that was BEFORE the transfer to VCU. If you go back I specifically said comment on the transfer TO VCU. because that was unprecedented move between conference intra city rivals. That is a brand new info, even the bigger part of the story. It deserves own commentary imo. When u r 8-24 vs VCU I'm sure he may not like having to address it, but really that is your responsibility as the highest profile U of R employee. Now it it possible JOC didn't ask him? Maybe, I grant u JOC doesn't push hard. But in this case I fully expected he asked too.
We will just have to disagree here. I think you are getting on Mooney for acting no different than a lot coaches act when transfers happen. I don't remember reading many comments from coaches after a guy chooses his school, yes, even a rival school. I doubt many are even asked. JOC doesn't need to ask. Why do we need comments from Mooney when Nelson picks his school? He already gave you something when Nelson put his name in the portal. This only deserves more attention in your world because you won't leave 8-24 alone. You want every comment Mooney makes to be about 8-24, which only you thinks was relevant in Nelson's decision. And, you can't try to say it was because why would he have come here in the 1st place if our record against VCU mattered to him?

So many on here expect things to be done exactly how they think they should be done, as if their opinion is always the correct way to do things. There is rarely a "well, I would have done it differently, but I see why it was done this way" with so many on here.

Last edited:
We will just have to disagree here. I think you are getting on Mooney for acting no different than a lot coaches act when transfers happen. I don't remember reading many comments from coaches after a guy chooses his school, yes, even a rival school. I doubt many are even asked. JOC doesn't need to ask. Why do we need comments from Mooney when Nelson picks his school? He already gave you something when Nelson put his name in the portal. This only deserves more attention in your world because you won't leave 8-24 alone. You want every comment Mooney makes to be about 8-24, which only you thinks was relevant in Nelson's decision. And, you can't try to say it was because why would he have come here in the 1st place if our record against VCU mattered to him?

So many on here expect things to be done exactly how you think they should be done, as if your opinion is always the correct way to do things. There is never a "well, I would have done it differently, but I see why it was done this way" with so many on here.

How many college basketball players have transferred to their #1 rival? I can't even think of any. At minimum gotta be extremely rare. If he went to say Murray State I would not expect it. Something unprecedented, certainly for UR-VCU, but also possibly nationally, does deserve comment. It was a pretty big local story.

I don't really get the last part. I've probably defended your opinions and right to them as much as anyone on this board.

Reactions: Eight Legger
The reason it matters is because when you are the face of the program, you look small (and so does the program) if when something "bad" happens, you say nothing. It's really not that complicated. Now maybe he's out of town or wasn't available to comment, who knows. But if he simply chose not to, it's a bad look.

"We love Tyler and appreciate all he's done for us on and off the court in his four years here. We're proud that he graduated as a Spider, we will miss him tremendously but we wish him all the best and know he has a very bright future ahead of him."

There's the statement, Mooney. Copy and paste it.

Perhaps, but fans of every program to seem think they have a chance to be in the mix. Providence, Georgetown, Villanova, Miami, UConn, and even BC people all think they should have a chance. I even saw a UMass suggestion and almost fell out of my chair laughing.

Put me down for Villanova

This isn't a surprise, Richmond was awful last year and Burton wanted to leave and actually play meaningful Bball somewhere else.

Reactions: SpiderK
I'm sure Mooney will comment and thank Tyler at some point. he didn't respond immediately to JOC the day it happened. not a big deal to me ... as long as he does at some point.

How many college basketball players have transferred to their #1 rival? I can't even think of any. At minimum gotta be extremely rare. If he went to say Murray State I would not expect it. Something unprecedented, certainly for UR-VCU, but also possibly nationally, does deserve comment. It was a pretty big local story.

I don't really get the last part. I've probably defended your opinions and right to them as much as anyone on this board.

Matthew Cleveland from FSU to Miami. I don't remember everyone rushing to get Leonard Hamilton's comments.

Jalen Tyson. Texas to Texas Tech.

Noah Williams. Washington St to Washington.

I follow UVA, and Justin McCoy transferred from there to UNC. I don't remember anyone rushing to get Tony Bennett's comments. And, Morsell went to NC State. Guys transfer to rivals and in conference to conference rivals all the time. It's just not this big "we need to get comments from his previous coach" thing you think it is.

Look its well known that I think we need to move on from Mooney, but there are way better reasons than anything to do with TB leaving including his no comment. MAybe he will and maybe he wont comment once TB lands (which still may be as a pro) and TB leaving doesn't change his overall record on loyalty etc. Its a strength.

But here is where we run sort of astray with the fire Mooney arguments INMHO. We make it an issue about something like the no comment and the Mooney backers jump on that and debunk it and then think they have dismissed the reasons to fire him. All this kind of stuff lets him off the hook on the big stuff and the only thing that matters - - - he doesn't win enough. Thats why we need a new coach. Period. We don't need to cite the specific reason he doesn't win enough - - - it's just a fact that he doesn't for whatever the reason.

One good season in 2020 and one good week in 2022 and zero conference regular season championships and one tourney championship (the Gilyard week) over now 12 most recent seasons simply isn't good enough. And that's giving him credit for both 2020 and the glorious Jacob Gilyard week of 2022 which wouldn't both have happened except for covid. It doesn't matter why - - it simply is what it is and its not good enough. He doesn't matter if its he can't recruit, he isn't good with X's and O's, he is slow to adapt or something else or some combo and it doesn't matter that he is good with loyalty, he has great kids come through the program etc. He doesn't win enough despite whatever positives he has (and he has some no doubt). But he doesn't win enough. Note I didn't say he doesn't win at all. He doesn't win enough. And we should seek out someone who we believe can and will win more! The only question we need to ask is - - - do we win enough? I can't imagine how anyone answers that with a yes, which is why the backers are always pointing to the future and the possibilities or simply stating the past isn't as awful as some say. Not as awful as some feel doesn't equal good enough!..

But for the Mooney guys - - - has he won enough even for you? Just is our record over the last 12 seasons satisfactory? I am a clear "Freaking hell no"

Last edited:
Look its well known that I think we need to move on from Mooney, but there are way better reasons than anything to do with TB leaving including his no comment. MAybe he will and maybe he wont comment once TB lands (which still may be as a pro) and TB leaving doesn't change his overall record on loyalty etc. Its a strength.

But here is where we run sort of astray with the fire Mooney arguments INMHO. We make it an issue about something like the no comment and the Mooney backers jump on that and debunk it and then think they have dismissed the reasons to fire him. All this kind of stuff lets him off the hook on the big stuff and the only thing that matters - - - he doesn't win enough. Thats why we need a new coach. Period. We don't need to cite the specific reason he doesn't win enough - - - it's just a fact that he doesn't for whatever the reason.

One good season in 2020 and one good week in 2022 and zero conference regular season championships and one tourney championship (the Gilyard week) over now 12 most recent seasons simply isn't good enough. And that's giving him credit for both 2020 and the glorious Jacob Gilyard week of 2022 which wouldn't both have happened except for covid. It doesn't matter why - - it simply is what it is and its not good enough. He doesn't matter if its he can't recruit, he isn't good with X's and O's, he is slow to adapt or something else or some combo and it doesn't matter that he is good with recruits, he has great kids come through the program etc. He doesn't win enough despite whatever positives he has (and he has some no doubt). But he doesn't win enough. Note I didn't say he doesn't win at all. He doesn't win enough. And we should seek out someone who we believe can and will win more! The only question we need to ask is - - - do we win enough? I can't imagine how anyone answers that with a yes, which is why the backers are always pointing to the future and the possibilities or simply stating the past isn't as awful as some say. But for the Mooney guys - - - has he won enough even for you?
couldn't agree more with this.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Matthew Cleveland from FSU to Miami. I don't remember everyone rushing to get Leonard Hamilton's comments.

Jalen Tyson. Texas to Texas Tech.

Noah Williams. Washington St to Washington.

I follow UVA, and Justin McCoy transferred from there to UNC. I don't remember anyone rushing to get Tony Bennett's comments. And, Morsell went to NC State. Guys transfer to rivals and in conference to conference rivals all the time. It's just not this big "we need to get comments from his previous coach" thing you think it is.

So quite rare, yes? I do expect it will happen more in future but it’s still rare.

Tx to Tx tech & uva to unc r rivals but not #1 archrivals. But thx for the other 2.

And idk but the the other 2 coaches probably were asked about it. Just bc u don’t remember it doesn’t mean didn’t happen.

Again this is unprecedented in UR VCU. He was a well known local recruit that got a lot of play here. I don’t think I’ve made a big deal out of it btw. & no doubt he will eventually have a comment on Burton. there r bigger deals & we know what those r - but I would just like us to handle the media part better.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I’m not overly hacked about the no comment. Good PR advises you no comment when you aren’t prepared to comment. Not sure how we couldn’t be ready to comment, seems unlikely this wasn’t communicated to the staff in advance.

You should take every media opportunity to shape the narrative even if it’s just a sound bite.

I 100% agree with Philly that the focus need not reach further than winning. Although for reasons that escape me even that seems to be inadequate to those in a position to effect change.

Georgetown has a new coach, deep pockets and already landed a bunch of great transfers. That's going to be a top-25 team right away.

Tyler enjoyed great individual and team success his 4 years here. Individually, he scored 1634 points and had 819 rebounds, improving his PPG each year from 4 to 12 to 16 to 19, and averaging 7+ rebounds 3 of his 4 years.

As a team, we went 77-47 his 4 years, with two 24 win seasons, an A-10 tourney title, and an NCAA tourney win over Iowa. In the A-10, we went 42-30 his 4 years here.

That's a lot of success and no doubt he made the right choice to come here. Well done, Tyler!

Reactions: urfan1

The first two sentences of this post are spot on.

The first two sentences of this post are spot on.
This is a hilarious comment. Over 1,500 guys entered the portal each of the last 2 years, and you wait and wait until we finally have an impact starter enter (and he entered after 4 years with us!), and then say there's the proof that guys aren't loyal and don't love Mooney? It's just laughable what is said on here every day.

This is a hilarious comment. Over 1,500 guys entered the portal each of the last 2 years, and you wait and wait until we finally have an impact starter enter (and he entered after 4 years with us!), and then say there's the proof that guys aren't loyal and don't love Mooney? It's just laughable what is said on here every day.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but you are the most combative poster with a victim mentality that I have ever read.

Loyalty has never been a problem for Coach Mooney, this program, his current and former players or Coach’s ardent supporters. If loyalty equaled wins we would be Kansas.

Reactions: Zeeter and VT4700
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT