ADVERTISEMENT

Two Offers

This is absolutely pathetic. We are trying to justify why we lost a recruit to Boston University -- BOSTON UNIVERSITY!!!! -- for the second year in a row! Think about that.

When we lose a recruit to a perceived "bigger" school, the reason always seems to be, "Well we can't expect to beat out XYZ University."

But when we clearly ARE the bigger school in cases like this, suddenly the are all sorts of extenuating circumstances that come into play? Seriously? We can't have it both ways. We are getting beaten by smaller and larger programs for recruits, and it is pathetic.

Mooney is not a good salesman for our University. He couldn't sell ice in Florida after a hurricane knocks out power. There's too much evidence of him missing out on recruit after recruit. Don't give me the playing time bit. If the recruit is good enough then desire and talent will earn playing time. Don't give me admissions, either. Any PL team has tough admissions standards for everyone.

Andrew White could have played 40 minutes a game for us from day one. He still went to Kansas to sit on the bench. Funny how people try to spin things two different ways to fit their narrative.

kids have different reasons for choosing the schools they choose.
True, but the kids we target as our top recruits always seem to end up choosing different schools. So, our coaching staff is wasting a lot of time, resources, and efforts and failing to deliver. Yet again.

I was hoping for Tate too. but I talked about batting averages before. every school wastes time, resources and effort. it happens every year and will happen no matter who our coach is.

SG isn't a current pressing need, but we need good players and the staff obviously wanted this one. so yes, this stinks.

It is amazing to me that we complain about how things are not going our way, when we play a major role in the direction our fortunes take. Every time we open our mouths whether it is warranted or not, we forever step on all the good things that could happen for us. We are our own worst enemies!!! The negative comments coming from many of us are turning off recruits. This is our very own "self-fulfilling prophecy"!!!

It is amazing to me that we complain about how things are not going our way, when we play a major role in the direction our fortunes take. Every time we open our mouths whether it is warranted or not, we forever step on all the good things that could happen for us. We are our own worst enemies!!! The negative comments coming from many of us are turning off recruits. This is our very own "self-fulfilling prophecy"!!!

Oh damn it. I knew it was this board's fault. You don't think recruits know that we won 25 games the past 2 years, that our coach is on the hottest of seats. Of course they do. Every competing coach is telling them about it, if they don;t. "Chris Mooney is on the hot seat down in Richmond, he might not be there for too long".

Of course, this is just one of the many reasons we should have canned him after this year. But quit blaming fans for this. This is Chris Mooney's and our administrations fault. And this has been an ongoing problem for at least 5 years, last far longer than this board being upset with Mooney.

You know what plays a major role in the direction our fortunes take. A head coach, who can't recruit worth a damn, an administration that puts its head in the sand and thumbs its nose at a significant number of alumni, season ticket holders and stakeholders of the program and then just asks for our blind loyality and our money.

From the article - "One player in particular Mooney could target is Javan White, a 6’ 10” 237 lb forward from Clemson. While White struggled to find minutes playing in the stacked ACC (admittedly, Clemson is not a top team), he dominated on the glass at Oral Roberts in the 2017-2018 season, averaging nine rebounds per game and 10.4 points."

Point - So say he transfers to UR. He'll find out quickly if he didn't know in advance that Mooney puts a low priority on rebounding. He'll then be asked to instead shoot 3 pointers.

Reactions: MidloTrader

I appreciate your posts. However, can you cite specifically and factually any recruits we've missed out on due to web site posts?

Of the many complaints on this board, the one I find most frustrating is the casual acceptance that it’s ok when we lose recruits and explain it away that it’s not on UR or the coaches, it’s always about the other school or what we couldn’t provide or they are in better conference. You name the excuse.

We have got to win more of these recruiting battles. Period.

Tbone, feel the same way. It seems that after the s16 run in 2011, Mooney went through a brief period trying to land some higher profile guys - AWIII, guy who went to NC State, etc - but did not have a plan B. He has really struggled since then. He has not been able to string the classes together, and as we saw last year with Chatman and Tate - head to head with A10 foes has not gone well. While I did like the late pick up of Sal, he was clearly a replacement to the other guys we were after. I do think he can turn out pretty decent, but has a lot to make up for in the athleticism dept. We need a coach that can recruit consistently.

Right on, Tbone. And this one shouldn't have even been a battle. Boston U and Gardner-Webb? I mean sure, they probably both would have beaten us this year, G-W especially since they made the tourney and were beating UVA, but if we can't routinely pound programs like this for recruits – especially recruits for whom we are clearly the highest and best offer – that is an indictment on our program.

Of the many complaints on this board, the one I find most frustrating is the casual acceptance that it’s ok when we lose recruits and explain it away that it’s not on UR or the coaches, it’s always about the other school or what we couldn’t provide or they are in better conference. You name the excuse.

We have got to win more of these recruiting battles. Period.
it's not about winning more. you're going to offer 20 players for 3 spots. you're going to "lose" 17 of 20. I just hope we land good players, and we have the last 3 years.

it's not about winning more. you're going to offer 20 players for 3 spots. you're going to "lose" 17 of 20. I just hope we land good players, and we have the last 3 years.
Except we have 2 spots and no offers out now. Tough to land players when you aren't offering hardly any. Maybe some Ohio State assistant will throw us a bone like they did a couple years ago with Kovien.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Hopefully we are heavily invested in trying to sign a kid whose dad and brother played at the same P5 school and who is also being recruited by said school, which is located less than 30 minutes from his home. Because that is a tried and true strategy for success!

Except we have 2 spots and no offers out now. Tough to land players when you aren't offering hardly any. Maybe some Ohio State assistant will throw us a bone like they did a couple years ago with Kovien.
maybe we're holding out for Burke Smith and a friend in 2020.
what could go wrong?

Reactions: Ulla1
What if I said it's about winning "better"? The presumption that over the last three years that we've gotten the best players we could have is nonsense. Of course I like Grant and Jacob and Nick, and other guys too, but it's pure rationalization to say that we should be completely satisfied with those guys, and our bench guys, and our stuck on the bench guys, and our guys so stuck on the bench they transferred guys.

You think we can't recruit better, I do.

Reactions: spider23
I see post after post complaining about recruiting while I think the talent we have now will win.

no, they weren't good enough to win this year. our team isn't one that will win with pretty much all the talent underclassmen. when have we ever won without major contributions from seniors and juniors? plus 2 of our supposed best weren't available in Sherod and Francis.

due to recruiting misses, defections and a dismissal, our upper class wasn't strong the last 2 seasons. that finally changes next year. so you guys can complain about whatever every day all spring, summer and fall if that makes you happy. but I think we'll win next year.

Reactions: VT4700
So are we supposed to believe that the reason we are now losing recruits to the likes of Gardner-Webb and BU (a PL school) is because the people on this forum are mean and unhappy with CM? Wow...

I remember when we used to lose recruits to P6 schools. Now we lose them to PL schools, who by the way, didn't even offer athletic scholarships until a few short years ago.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

So are we supposed to believe that the reason we are now losing recruits to the likes of Gardner-Webb and BU (a PL school) is because the people on this forum are mean and unhappy with CM? Wow...

I remember when we used to lose recruits to P6 schools. Now we lose them to PL schools, who by the way, didn't even offer athletic scholarships until a few short years ago.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing
Yep. That is hilarious. It just shows how far our program has dropped when people are reaching to the bottom of the barrel to even consider that forum posts could actually have an impact on losing recruits. I challenge any truther to present evidence of this. One day when we're winning AGAIN we won't be having discussions like this. Winning has a way of making both truthers and realists feel good.

I see post after post complaining about recruiting while I think the talent we have now will win.

no, they weren't good enough to win this year. our team isn't one that will win with pretty much all the talent underclassmen. when have we ever won without major contributions from seniors and juniors? plus 2 of our supposed best weren't available in Sherod and Francis.

due to recruiting misses, defections and a dismissal, our upper class wasn't strong the last 2 seasons. that finally changes next year. so you guys can complain about whatever every day all spring, summer and fall if that makes you happy. but I think we'll win next year.
I’m not at all happy to complain about this. I absolutely want not to be complaining about it in fact.

A rising tide lifts all boats, maybe winning next year will reduce complaining to just winter.

so you guys can complain about whatever every day all spring, summer and fall if that makes you happy, but I think we'll win next year.

We will not be successful next year unless we can wake up and figure out how to defend. Look at the teams in the Final Four this year. At least three out of the four teams (UVA, Texas Tech, Michigan State) are defensive juggernauts. We may score a lot next year, but can we stop anyone when we are in the bottom decile in the country defensively? I don't think so.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
when have we ever won without major contributions from seniors and juniors?
When did people ever send email from their telephones? When did anyone ever fly to a destination instead of taking the train? When did anyone ever get polio and not die from it?

The answer is: Never -- until one day, they did.

Reactions: gcarter52 and 8legs
What's your over/under on wins? What do you consider "winning"?
I haven't seen a schedule yet, and even then I don't have a crystal ball. but I think our talent compares favorably with some of our most successful teams. certainly on the offensive side. I agree we're not going to find a defensive game changer for this season, so the guys we have will need to improve on that end.

When did people ever send email from their telephones? When did anyone ever fly to a destination instead of taking the train? When did anyone ever get polio and not die from it?

The answer is: Never -- until one day, they did.
sure. but in my opinion, we'll never be a program that will win with all the talent in the sophomore and freshman classes. it's fine if you believe a new coach will consistently attract top 100 recruits and win young. I just don't.

We don't need top-100 recruits to have freshmen and sophomores contributing at a very high level. Gilyard and Golden are examples. So was Buck. We should be able to attract enough of those types that we aren't punting on two or three years of eligibility in the hopes that the final one year will result in something great. That's a loser mentality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT