ADVERTISEMENT

Shaka Smart to Texas?

Shaka's boat has sailed. He is a one trick pony and is likely not to get interest from the better jobs. He is a vcu lifer.

Can he get a ham sandwich past Texas admissions like he can where he is now?

K, vcu no longer requires SAT scores. Anyone can get in. "If you can't go to college, go to vcu." Honestly, several months ago I posted a link that showed that a vcu degree was worth less than a high school diploma.

Shaka supposedly turned down Minnesota because he and his wife love living in Richmond. Since Austin, Texas is consistently ranked among the top 25 places to live in the U.S., a move by Shaka Khan wouldn't necessarily surprise me. However, there are some excellent candidates whose agents are beating down the door to get their clients this particular head job.

Potential Texas coach - slide show

He seems to like schools in cities that attract dirty hipsters who ride bikes and drink pbr. So Austin seems like a good fit. That and no income tax and 3 million a year.

Jeff goodman said that Texas is one of the jobs Shaka is really interested in. My money is on Marshall though

Just sayin, why would he leave vcu? Good commuter school in the slums of Richmond, no admission requirements. Hey vcu is an ideal place for recruiting for Mr. Smart. Unfortunately, Mr. Smart's ship has sailed.

This post was edited on 3/28 8:46 PM by Ulla1

Doing the Texas two step? Don't even want to speculate on what he is doing.................

Originally posted by Ulla1:
Shaka's boat has sailed. He is a one trick pony and is likely not to get interest from the better jobs. He is a vcu lifer.
Boy do I look forward to the day when we can consider winning the A10 tournament and getting into the NCAA tourney a down year. Texas would be a mistake for Shaka, no one is going to meet their excessive expectations. Shockers job no better than VCU and I'm guessing Richmond is a nicer place to live.

funny one should use the phrase, "their excessive expectations". every program has expectations, every fanbase has expectations and we have debated our expectations on here ad infinitum. texas is one of the biggest and riches schools in the country, they have super facilities and play in a top-flight, power 5 conference and they expect to be at the top. the past few years has shown that no matter who you think you are, does not always work out that way and you have to eat some crow and every top program in the country has gone through this, notre dame, usc, bama, michigan, ohio state, florida, tennessee. you get no exemptions from being average no matter what program you wish to mention. yes, the tea sippers want nothing but the best, championships, they feel they deserve it and they feel their coaches should provide it. are you saying that is wrong I-M? know if i was an alum, fan, that is what i would want based on the budget, the conference, the school, all of those things. sounds like you are saying they have unrealistic expectations yet we on here have very level-headed ones, think about it.....

Originally posted by WebSpinner:
funny one should use the phrase, "their excessive expectations". every program has expectations, every fanbase has expectations and we have debated our expectations on here ad infinitum. texas is one of the biggest and riches schools in the country, they have super facilities and play in a top-flight, power 5 conference and they expect to be at the top. the past few years has shown that no matter who you think you are, does not always work out that way and you have to eat some crow and every top program in the country has gone through this, notre dame, usc, bama, michigan, ohio state, florida, tennessee. you get no exemptions from being average no matter what program you wish to mention. yes, the tea sippers want nothing but the best, championships, they feel they deserve it and they feel their coaches should provide it. are you saying that is wrong I-M? know if i was an alum, fan, that is what i would want based on the budget, the conference, the school, all of those things. sounds like you are saying they have unrealistic expectations yet we on here have very level-headed ones, think about it.....
I had a similar reaction. Weird!

I would say IM is right Spinner. We aren't looking for the Final 4 every 2 years, or the Sweet 16 every year, we hope to dance every 2-3 years. So yes, after thinking about it I believe Texas has too lofty of goals and ours aren't that bad
This post was edited on 3/29 1:22 PM by SpiderFan26

I never heard Shaka mentioned for the big jobs on national TV. The local channel 8 guy threw it out there and VCU PAV jumped him on twitter, saying it was BS.

Rivalry banter aside, that would be a good job for Shaka IMO. More money, lower taxes as mentioned earlier, and acce$$ to big boosters and better recruit$. If a top 5 recruit wants to go to UT, they'll get him in, same as VCU.

Re: expectations, UT seems pretty fair to me. With the resources UT has, making your last Sweet 16 in 2008 is wayyy too long IMO. Smells like lazy recruiting these past few years on Barnes' part...unfortunately that happens sometimes when coaches feel they have tenure.

I agree Texas would be a great job for Shaka, if they cast a line. Austin is a nice place to live. UT is a football first school, so sure it is crazy pressure to win in hoops but not a hoops centric school. And Texas has there own TV network, so obviously that place probably has more resources to win.

His style I think would play well at Texas and the Big 12.

I really don't care if he stays or goes, aside from the fact that if he goes, we won't have to hear about "Havoc" anymore. Basketball-wise, we can and have beaten his teams, and I see that continuing from our end.

That said, if he is offered the Texas job and doesn't take it, be prepared for him never to leave VCU. I would have no idea what kind of job he'd be waiting for at that point, aside from Duke or Kentucky. Texas is the biggest athletic program in the nation. All you have to do is pull in like 3 of the top 15 players from Texas every year and you're probably a Sweet 16 team. They could pay a coach $5M a year for 6 years if they wanted to. Obviously it's a football school first, but who cares. So was Florida, and Donovan won two basketball titles there.

He also is coming off two straight years of NCAA failure, his primary "havoc-ky" guard graduated and if there was ever a time to take the money and run, this would be it.

Guys you don't understand. The recruits you mention would not get offered by Texas. Texas is big time. Texas recruits and gets McDonald's All Americans. Smart will not be offered the Texas job. I have heard that Jay Wright from Villanova is a prime candidate. Smart, not on their radar.

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
I really don't care if he stays or goes, aside from the fact that if he goes, we won't have to hear about "Havoc" anymore. Basketball-wise, we can and have beaten his teams, and I see that continuing from our end.

That said, if he is offered the Texas job and doesn't take it, be prepared for him never to leave VCU. I would have no idea what kind of job he'd be waiting for at that point, aside from Duke or Kentucky. Texas is the biggest athletic program in the nation. All you have to do is pull in like 3 of the top 15 players from Texas every year and you're probably a Sweet 16 team. They could pay a coach $5M a year for 6 years if they wanted to. Obviously it's a football school first, but who cares. So was Florida, and Donovan won two basketball titles there.

He also is coming off two straight years of NCAA failure, his primary "havoc-ky" guard graduated and if there was ever a time to take the money and run, this would be it.
I kind of agree & kind of disagree. He may be one of those coaches that doesn't have to chase $$$. He may realize that he'll have enough millions to have a comfortable lifestyle for his family based upon what he's made & probably invested. He may also have a comfort factor & enjoy his job & digs enough to stay for some years to come. He has had opportunities prior to this at much more high profile schools than VCU. Maybe these were not the ones he's waiting for?????

Yes, he's had 2 straight years of one & done in NCAA, but there are a lot of schools on the outside looking in whom would have liked to have the opportunity to dance & be in his position. He's had major success at VCU, and no one should minimize that (certainly not implying you did because I seem to agree with most of your posts)...just saying in general.

Who are the McDonald All-Americans? Name them. If Barnes had a roster of All Americans, he would rarely lose and not be fired. Weak argument.

don't know if texas has even one greasy mac but between the dallas area and the houston area, plenty of state high school talent to recruit, not to mention they can recruit nationally as well.

Guys you don't understand. The recruits you mention would not get offered by Texas. Texas is big time. Texas recruits and gets McDonald's All Americans. Smart will not be offered the Texas job. I have heard that Jay Wright from Villanova is a prime candidate. Smart, not on their radar.
Jordan Murphy had an offer from Texas.

Check out the link that lists the number of McDonald's All Americans by college. Note that Texas is near the top averaging ca. 15 for each period. I spent about 6 years in Texas, 4 years at Texas A&M with colleagues at Austin. You cannot imagine the clout of UT in Texas and nationally.

McDonald's All Americans by college

I don't know, two of those guys are 4* recruits.

Things are not well in Texas. Patterson is the athletic director.

"Barnes confirmed Patterson told him a few days ago he had to fire staff or be fired himself. That ultimatum was leaked to the media Thursday, publicly turning up the pressure on Barnes and his assistants. Barnes blamed the leaks on the athletic department but didn't name any individuals behind them.
"I was shocked," by the leaks, Barnes said. "I couldn't do that. That would be me saying this is about me. I've been carried by a lot of people here. We're in this together."
Barnes said his staff offered to quit but he refused to let them.
Patterson did not attend the news conference."

There's nothing odd about that, VCU troll. Barnes was told, "Hey, fire your staff or we are firing you." That happens all the time. The guy hasn't done enough winning despite having a huge fanbase, budget and recruiting base and having been there for almost two decades. Nothing shocking about them firing him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT