ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Guy

I thought this was an interesting comparison. what's the constant? the help shot blocker.

Effort and desire to be great on defense too seems evident in those teams too. We don't have that mentality. Look at a guy like Salt - there's all effort there - he hedges like crazy on ball screens and runs his ass off to get back into position to cover his man in the paint.

LOL! The range of what decent can mean. Maybe you can list all their offers and we can give on a scale of 1-10 what decent means. Or maybe easier to say not as good of offers as the 4 players 97 mentioned.
sure, I'll get that for you. though regardless of who offered them, we already know those two are very good basketball players and thus good recruits. if they for some reason don't have offers, then other programs missed the boat. bad job by them, good job by us.

SMan, I agree with you that if Mooney could only get gems like that most of the time I would be very happy and screw the 3/4 star requirement.

per verbal commits, Grant had 19 offers including George Mason, GW, just about the entire Patriot league, SoCon schools like Wofford and Furman, CAA's like JMU and W&M, San Diego and more.
----------------

The recruitment interest was heavy on Gilyard, a 5-9, 155-pound guard, though none of his 17 offers were from schools in the Power 5 conferences.
“I do think the bigger schools did pass on me because of my size, but that’s OK,” Gilyard said. “I’m going to a place that I fell in love with right away.”
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/high-school/article113783353.html

offers include UAB, Stephen F. Austin, UMKC, Portland, American, Tulsa, Denver, Southern Illinois, Buffalo, Missouri St, Drake, UC Davis ...

per verbal commits, Grant had 19 offers including George Mason, GW, just about the entire Patriot league, SoCon schools like Wofford and Furman, CAA's like JMU and W&M, San Diego and more.
----------------

The recruitment interest was heavy on Gilyard, a 5-9, 155-pound guard, though none of his 17 offers were from schools in the Power 5 conferences.
“I do think the bigger schools did pass on me because of my size, but that’s OK,” Gilyard said. “I’m going to a place that I fell in love with right away.”
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/high-school/article113783353.html

offers include UAB, Stephen F. Austin, UMKC, Portland, American, Tulsa, Denver, Southern Illinois, Buffalo, Missouri St, Drake, UC Davis ...
You could argue we were the best offer either guy got. Glad we won’t those offers, both guys were underrecruited. That’s my baseline requirement, win most recruiting battles against lower tier programs/conferences.

You could argue we were the best offer either guy got. Glad we won’t those offers, both guys were underrecruited. That’s my baseline requirement, win most recruiting battles against lower tier programs/conferences.
agreed. we'd say we were their best offer. some schools on those list would disagree. but we want to win these battles. 17 offers is a lot to win against. odds are against you even with being one of the best offers.

Grant was easier. he flat out said he wanted to come back to Richmond if either UR or VCU offered. Gilyard's list was coast to coast. I think our small guard history was the driving force there.

we obviously did well targeting those two. and the other 4 recent guys listed above, too. recent recruiting hasn't been as bad as some make it out to be. it's the recruiting from around 2014-2015 that mostly didn't pan out that landed us here.

Between “one and dones” and our absence from the post season, the NCAA has been boring for me many years now. I will say the past 3 UVA games were about as good as it gets for excitement. I thought they had lost all three games. Then again look at what my recent experience has been.

agreed. we'd say we were their best offer. some schools on those list would disagree. but we want to win these battles. 17 offers is a lot to win against. odds are against you even with being one of the best offers.

Grant was easier. he flat out said he wanted to come back to Richmond if either UR or VCU offered. Gilyard's list was coast to coast. I think our small guard history was the driving force there.

we obviously did well targeting those two. and the other 4 recent guys listed above, too. recent recruiting hasn't been as bad as some make it out to be. it's the recruiting from around 2014-2015 that mostly didn't pan out that landed us here.
I don’t think it’s as bad as some make it out to be but it’s not good either. You’re papering over some pretty bad misses when you only speak to failure in 2014-2015. If you mean what started and has continued since 2014 then that’s more fair but five years is an eternity if that’s the case.

I also don’t think you’re competing against 17 offers to land these guys, that presumes that all the offers are of equal merit which they aren’t, at least not in these two cases. It’s always going to be competitive, I just think there’s a propensity to give the coaches a pass at times that’s unwarranted.

ok it is simpleI think .find a block the shot.I dont care even if he has hard time with the layup.block the shot because we know muscle coach cant help anyone quicker on defense. block the shot .is like our rubber wet patch for a roof but is for our defense

ok it is simpleI think .find a block the shot.I dont care even if he has hard time with the layup.block the shot because we know muscle coach cant help anyone quicker on defense. block the shot .is like our rubber wet patch for a roof but is for our defense
coach, have to agree. Our latest recruit, Tyler Burton, while only 6'6" or perhaps 6'7", is "block the shot".

Reactions: urfan1
coach, have to agree. Our latest recruit, Tyler Burton, while only 6'6" or perhaps 6'7", is "block the shot".

Ulla that is good to hear,but do you have a link to what you state. Everything I read states he is 6'5" and the only stats I see say he averaged 0 BPG

Reactions: Eight Legger
Brandon Clarke from Gonzaga is one of the top shot blockers in the nation at 6'7", but that guy has a Kwan Fore-like vertical in excess of 40 inches. Not too many 6'7" guys are considered rim protectors, much less a 6'5" guy.

Smitty was a really good defender, but at the end of the day he was only 6'5". We need another Garrett-type player who is 6'8" or 6'9, strong, and has a 7 foot plus wingspan. Perhaps Sal can be that sort of player for us someday but I just don't see it right now.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

I mean, when has Ulla ever been wrong about our recruits. I'm surprised he doesn't have an ESPN "Ocho" show on basketball recruiting. It would slot in nicely next to the World Dodgeball Championships.

too many posts like this, followed by complaints when the Ulla eventually gets testy.

Today I spoke to a person I trust that was present when Burton was on campus playing and was told Burton was aggressive and blocked approximately four shots
1, the Ulla don't lie. I was there.

Today I spoke to a person I trust that was present when Burton was on campus playing and was told Burton was aggressive and blocked approximately four shots
I could block Oddo's shot too.

But seriously, come on you two, he is a wing, he is not here as an interior player. If we are counting on Tyler to be our power forward he has been mis cast.

I could block Oddo's shot too.

But seriously, come on you two, he is a wing, he is not here as an interior player. If we are counting on Tyler to be our power forward he has been mis cast.
23, were you there? How can you comment with no, understand zero knowledge?

I’m going to go ahead and wait to see how guys actually play in real games.

23, were you there? How can you comment with no, understand zero knowledge?
Based on your previous reports from practice.

For the record, I am very supportive of Burton's ability to be a very good player for us. Just not his ability to be an impact shot blocker in the A10. And your practice reporting has been way off. Stork has been very accurate on practice reports on the other hand.

Me too. Hope you and 23 actually come to games. Easy to criticize when you have ZERO knowledge.
A) All I said was I’m going to wait to see how guys perform in games. No criticism in there whatsoever.
B) I’ve been a season ticket holder for 16 years.
C) Don’t be a jackass.

Reactions: wr70beh
Ulla I was only inquiring as to the basis of your statement
1, will clarify that unlike your friends on the board, I do not make up stuff. My comments are based on personal observations or discussions with knowledgeable people. Thus, it greatly saddens me that you guys provide so much misinformation in an effort to put forth your personal agenda aimed at destructing our basketball program. Really sad.

1, will clarify that unlike your friends on the board, I do not make up stuff. My comments are based on personal observations or discussions with knowledgeable people. Thus, it greatly saddens me that you guys provide so much misinformation in an effort to put forth your personal agenda aimed at destructing our basketball program. Really sad.
Sad that your practice reports have been so far off over the years. Yes, it is the board that is trying to destruct the program, not the terrible, excuse mongering coach.

So because Burton blocked a couple shots in one practice, the extrapolation is that he's going to be our rim protector next year as a 6'5" freshman? Just trying to follow along with this insider knowledge.

Reactions: wr70beh and keefusb
Ulla's seen him play. he blocked shots. he's athletic and aggressive. these are all good things.

no, he's not going to be playing the middle blocking shots like a Tim Faulconer. but if he can some block shots, that's great. and if he's 6'6" with hops and aggressive, I'm betting he'll rebound. and that's something we can all get behind.

sounds like Burton could find the floor early. he'll have to battle most of this year's freshman class for that time. seems like the most likely guy at the 3 behind Nick.

Ulla's seen him play. he blocked shots. he's athletic and aggressive. these are all good things.

no, he's not going to be playing the middle blocking shots like a Tim Faulconer. but if he can some block shots, that's great. and if he's 6'6" with hops and aggressive, I'm betting he'll rebound. and that's something we can all get behind.

sounds like Burton could find the floor early. he'll have to battle most of this year's freshman class for that time. seems like the most likely guy at the 3 behind Nick.
The problem with watching us scrimmage is that we are playing against ourselves and as we have learned we look awfully good against ourselves. The problem seems to be when we play other teams.

He sounds like he will contribute. I think the reaction was mostly that a 6’6” win isn’t going to serve as a rim protector.

My personal sense is that role isn’t as necessary if the rest of the guys are playing solid defense and have length. Unfortunately we have problems with both characteristics in our projected starting lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT