ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Guy

per verbal commits, Grant had 19 offers including George Mason, GW, just about the entire Patriot league, SoCon schools like Wofford and Furman, CAA's like JMU and W&M, San Diego and more.
----------------

The recruitment interest was heavy on Gilyard, a 5-9, 155-pound guard, though none of his 17 offers were from schools in the Power 5 conferences.
“I do think the bigger schools did pass on me because of my size, but that’s OK,” Gilyard said. “I’m going to a place that I fell in love with right away.”
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/high-school/article113783353.html

offers include UAB, Stephen F. Austin, UMKC, Portland, American, Tulsa, Denver, Southern Illinois, Buffalo, Missouri St, Drake, UC Davis ...
Some here talk about Golden and Gilyard as if they are Winning championships here and performing like Wooden award nominees. Mooney obtaining them was not some great achievement. Win some games and compete for a championship and then we can discuss how great a recruiting job CM did getting them.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Agree. I do think they are both very good players, but I am more interested in winning. I think the problem is very much so with the roster around them - as was the case with KO, SDJ and TJ, rather than the players themselves. But yes, at some point they have to win games and make plays at the end. We were right there with St Louis, but couldn't make a play. Gilly did make a beautiful play vs Fordham, dribbling through the defense to find Cayo for the bunny.
With the proclaimed greatest class ever, Mooney is basically saying he has the guys next year - so someone will need to take the blame.
I'm still not crazy about the roster construct, would like to see some more athleticism and toughness added.

Some here talk about Golden and Gilyard as if they are Winning championships here and performing like Wooden award nominees. Mooney obtaining them was not some great achievement. Win some games and compete for a championship and then we can discuss how great a recruiting job CM did getting them.
25 wins over two years. Golden and Gilyard are good players, but if they are ever to be considered great players for us they need to start winning more.

it's a team sport. it's not golf or tennis where you can just look at wins to determine greatness.

they're both great players on teams that so far have lost. TJ was also a great player. and Kendall. and others.

I think most of us would agree that Gilyard and Golden are excellent players, and that we are fortunate to have them as Spiders. That said, half their careers here are over and they are averaging 12.5 wins a year. It begs the question: Are they not as great as we think, or are they not being put in the right position to succeed?

Additionally, if the former is true, how many more potential all-time UR greats do we need to add to the lineup in order to win more than 13 games a year?

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
it's a team sport. it's not golf or tennis where you can just look at wins to determine greatness.

they're both great players on teams that so far have lost. TJ was also a great player. and Kendall. and others.

Great players make others around them better and their team better. They make big plays at big moments. I have yet to see much evidence of any of that in regards to Golden and Gilyard. Right now, in my book, they are good players.

And if you consider them great and also consider our other players to be a good supporting cast, than what gives?

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
And if you consider them great and also consider our other players to be a good supporting cast, than what gives?
imo, supporting cast outside of Nathan wasn't strong enough. not enough production from the 2 upperclassmen, and the freshmen were asked to do more than they should have as freshmen.

I think you are using the word “great” too lightly. Good, above average, even very good may suffice for some of those mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT