ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby Mooney - 2024 Name to Watch

A lot of D2 and D3 players can definitely play, and many are better than D1 players. Especially D2. Many would rather go D2 and play a lot of minutes and be stars on a winning team than go play D1, where they might not get the minutes. But, some are definitely good enough where they could be real good at the D1 level. Nova Southeastern just won the D2 title, and 4 of their guys transferred up, including to Memphis, GA, and Charleston, and Auburn recently landed a real good D2 guy also. Nova's coach said it's crazy how much money these guys are being offered now.
So a mixed bag of truths and misconceptions in VT posts on these topics.

First off - - its absolute fact there are kids at D2 level who are good enough to play D1 (and in todays game are getting NIL money to go do so!).

However, It is very (and I mean VERY) rare that a a kid chooses D2 opportunity over any D1 opportunity. It just doesn't happen. The kids who end up good enough for D1 didn't "choose" D2. They are there for one of several reasons - - academics and no one yet recognizing them as a D1 talent accounting for the vast majority. And don't be confused by a kid's commitment post or the local paper where it says the kid picked School X (D2) and other schools with interest included . . . School Y (D1) or even an outright statement that he chose School X over School Y. Local writers, parents, HS and AAU coaches and kids themselves frequently want it to sound that way and/or to make the kid feel good, but I can tell you as someone who works with dozens of recruits every year (boys and girls) and talks regularly with coaches on both levels - - it doesn't really happen. The telltale sign is that NO D2 coach is trying to outrecruit any D1 team for any player. I hear (all the time) - - "hey if it doesn't work out for your guy with (insert name of D1 schools) we'd absolutely love to have him/her so let me know" or something similar. These coaches know they aren't getting these kids if they have a D1 opportunity.

And think for a second about the stated reason a kid might go D2 over D1 - - playing time etc. Understand that a kid in this situation isn't choosing between riding the bench at a P5 school and being a star at D2. His D1 option(s) are at the lower end of D1 where he almost certainly thinks he has a chance to play (and in fact probably does have a chance). The kid who is worried about riding the bench at a P5 will have options in lower D1 for the playing time! The playing time "promise" between the D1 options a kid who might do this has and his D2 options just isn't that wide and its especially not going to seem wide to the kid (and remember - - the D1s recruiting him aren't telling him he's going to be a bench guy etc.) The only time I could see this truly happening is (a) kid has interest from one and only one D1 AND there is a connection or reason that school is interested (family connection, coach connection etc) , but a host of D2/D3 interest (in which case the kid might actually buy in to the playing time thing or (b) the kid being what I call a "tag along" recruited" by the d1(s). In the first instance, the one and only school and that school has some ulterior motive might be enough to convince the kid about no playing time at D1. 2nd one is really the same - - - kid understands his D1 option is part of recruiting someone else (and not necessarily someone in same class) and decides that might get him an offer but not playing time and decides to be his own guy - - and those offers are in fact D2. Both of these are rare instances.

So, in summary, a number of kids at D2 that can play D1 - - - but almost none of whom had D1 options and chose D2 in their HS recruiting cycle.

And, back on point to this thread, I recently caught about 25 minutes of a Kirby Mooney game (by accident basically). Based on that 25 minutes (which isn't enough for this assessment to have much merit), I'd say he is borderline D1 player. He is very advanced at knowing how to play and be crafty etc. and he is skilled. More so than many I see on the AAA circuit or it HS. That enables him to be successful. The problem is that others can and will catch up with him on learning how to play and skills and he has some athletic shortcomings that will be hard for him to overcome. Read above where he has some Patriot League interest and I'd say that's probably the ceiling for him as far as being a contributor at some point. Even that is tough. we put two boys in the PAtriot last year from our AAU group and I'd put both of them ahead of Kirby (but again, I saw Kirby for 25 minutes (and he played maybe 15) and no doubt am biased to kids I have known for a few years and helped with their recruitment.

Reactions: spiderman
And, back on point to this thread, I recently caught about 25 minutes of a Kirby Mooney game (by accident basically). Based on that 25 minutes (which isn't enough for this assessment to have much merit), I'd say he is borderline D1 player. He is very advanced at knowing how to play and be crafty etc. and he is skilled. More so than many I see on the AAA circuit or it HS. That enables him to be successful. The problem is that others can and will catch up with him on learning how to play and skills and he has some athletic shortcomings that will be hard for him to overcome. Read above where he has some Patriot League interest and I'd say that's probably the ceiling for him as far as being a contributor at some point. Even that is tough. we put two boys in the PAtriot last year from our AAU group and I'd put both of them ahead of Kirby (but again, I saw Kirby for 25 minutes (and he played maybe 15) and no doubt am biased to kids I have known for a few years and helped with their recruitment.
Don’t we already have a bench full of these guys?

So a mixed bag of truths and misconceptions in VT posts on these topics.

First off - - its absolute fact there are kids at D2 level who are good enough to play D1 (and in todays game are getting NIL money to go do so!).

However, It is very (and I mean VERY) rare that a a kid chooses D2 opportunity over any D1 opportunity. It just doesn't happen. The kids who end up good enough for D1 didn't "choose" D2. They are there for one of several reasons - - academics and no one yet recognizing them as a D1 talent accounting for the vast majority. And don't be confused by a kid's commitment post or the local paper where it says the kid picked School X (D2) and other schools with interest included . . . School Y (D1) or even an outright statement that he chose School X over School Y. Local writers, parents, HS and AAU coaches and kids themselves frequently want it to sound that way and/or to make the kid feel good, but I can tell you as someone who works with dozens of recruits every year (boys and girls) and talks regularly with coaches on both levels - - it doesn't really happen. The telltale sign is that NO D2 coach is trying to outrecruit any D1 team for any player. I hear (all the time) - - "hey if it doesn't work out for your guy with (insert name of D1 schools) we'd absolutely love to have him/her so let me know" or something similar. These coaches know they aren't getting these kids if they have a D1 opportunity.

And think for a second about the stated reason a kid might go D2 over D1 - - playing time etc. Understand that a kid in this situation isn't choosing between riding the bench at a P5 school and being a star at D2. His D1 option(s) are at the lower end of D1 where he almost certainly thinks he has a chance to play (and in fact probably does have a chance). The kid who is worried about riding the bench at a P5 will have options in lower D1 for the playing time! The playing time "promise" between the D1 options a kid who might do this has and his D2 options just isn't that wide and its especially not going to seem wide to the kid (and remember - - the D1s recruiting him aren't telling him he's going to be a bench guy etc.) The only time I could see this truly happening is (a) kid has interest from one and only one D1 AND there is a connection or reason that school is interested (family connection, coach connection etc) , but a host of D2/D3 interest (in which case the kid might actually buy in to the playing time thing or (b) the kid being what I call a "tag along" recruited" by the d1(s). In the first instance, the one and only school and that school has some ulterior motive might be enough to convince the kid about no playing time at D1. 2nd one is really the same - - - kid understands his D1 option is part of recruiting someone else (and not necessarily someone in same class) and decides that might get him an offer but not playing time and decides to be his own guy - - and those offers are in fact D2. Both of these are rare instances.

So, in summary, a number of kids at D2 that can play D1 - - - but almost none of whom had D1 options and chose D2 in their HS recruiting cycle.
Well, I talk to and know a lot of people too....including players and coaches, and parents. But, I shouldn't listen to any of them because they are wrong? Sorry, but I will have to disagree. D2 guys do get D1 offers. Most will choose D1 because D1 offers full scholarships while D2 will not always do that. But, the very good players will absolutely get full rides to D2, and I would ask you why you think it would so surprising ( or in your opinion so very rare..almost none you said? )that a guy would choose a solid D2 school with good academics, good facilities, good environment, good coach, etc. over a low level D1 school that many people have never even heard of?

There are about 300 D2 teams. So, just looking at the starters, that is 1500 players. You think almost none got D1 offers? None?

Or, let's look at it this way. You don't think any of the 350+ D1 teams would ever lose a guy to a D2 school? So, a player will always choose D1 New Jersey Tech, coming off a 6-23 record, over a D2 team like West Liberty?? Really? Or, any D1 school over a fun, high scoring team like defending D2 champ Nova Southeastern?

So, what do you think happens between the bottom D1 teams and the top D2 teams? Is there some kind of magical separation where you are either D1 or D2 talent? I just don't get why you think what you do here, and why you act like you know it all, and players, writers, hs coaches and AAU coaches are all wrong. Every single one of them are wrong? I also don't get how it is possible that D2 coaches wouldn't recruit a D1 player? You said NO (in caps... D2 coach is trying to outrecruit a D1 coach for a guy. This shows how far off you are here. How would you know whether a guy is D1 or D2 when recruiting him? So, once a guy gets an offer from D1 Lindenwood or D1 Incarnate Word, D2 coaches automatically stop recruiting them? Is that really what you think here? You act like guys get an either this or that after their sophomore or junior year of high school, as if these guys are clearly D2 on one side and other guys are clearly D1 on the other side.

Okay, that's great. So, why would it be so crazy for you to believe that a guy like Kirby might choose a great D2 school over some Patriot offers? It's as if you wrote this post with the intent to counter your last one.

Yes, getting tedious.... again.
Me? No worries, but funny that you and T would make comments after my post and crickets after the long post I replied to. And, sorry, but if someone calls me out and says I posted misconceptions, I see nothing wrong with defending myself, especially when I know what I posted was accurate. Philly acts like he has personally been with every single D2 player during their recruitment. To act like he knows for a fact the history of all these D2 guys?? How would he know unless he closely followed every D2 guy out there?

Last edited:
VT, I asked you for an example. you said "it happens all the time" so you should have tons off the top of your head. I'm with Philly. it almost never happens. I'm generously adding the "almost".

nobody is arguing that there isn't talent in D2. but once a kid gets a legit D1 offer he's not going D2. maybe that's a kid's ego, but the dream is always D1. plus D1 are all full ships ... everything included! D2's are often partial but even the few that might get a full only covers tuition fees and books. D2 scholarships can't pay for housing. who would chose a worse "name college" and then pay for housing over a full ride?

as for academics, there are hundereds of high academic D3's ... very few D2's. Bently's a pretty high academic D2 off the top of my head. most don't have much of a reputation for academics. heck, most people haven't even heard of 99% of the D2 schools.

The only reason Jack Graham gave up full scholarship offers at the D1 level to walk on here was because he wasn't recruited hard enough by D2 schools. Duh.

VT, I asked you for an example. you said "it happens all the time" so you should have tons off the top of your head. I'm with Philly. it almost never happens. I'm generously adding the "almost".

nobody is arguing that there isn't talent in D2. but once a kid gets a legit D1 offer he's not going D2. maybe that's a kid's ego, but the dream is always D1. plus D1 are all full ships ... everything included! D2's are often partial but even the few that might get a full only covers tuition fees and books. D2 scholarships can't pay for housing. who would chose a worse "name college" and then pay for housing over a full ride?

as for academics, there are hundereds of high academic D3's ... very few D2's. Bently's a pretty high academic D2 off the top of my head. most don't have much of a reputation for academics. heck, most people haven't even heard of 99% of the D2 schools.
Sman, I can see why my happens all the time comment would throw you off. I was responding to it doesn't happen by saying it happens all the time, meaning every year there will be some kids who decide a D2 school is a better fit than what D1 offers they might have gotten. So, I will apologize for any confusion. I can see why happens all the time would sound more like I am talking numerous kids every day. No, I didn't mean that at all.....but, it does happen. I know enough D1 and D2 kids, and, yes, enough coaches and players to know it does happen.

D2s can split up scholarships how they want. If they want a guy badly enough, they can offer a full ride. Also, academic scholarships are common to help cover partial scholarships. Very common. There are also other scholarships available, so a D2 player does have options to get a full ride scholarship, including room and board.

Also, there are plenty of quality, well known, good academic D2 schools out there. And, it's not like every 350+ D1 schools are so well known anyway. And, certainly not every D1 school has a better reputation academically than every D2 school.

You said once a kid gets a D1 offer, he's not going D2. Well, some kids will choose D2 because they want to win, they like the coach a lot better, they like the school a lot better, they like the location a lot better, the facilities, the community support, and other factors as well. It does happen. Kids will visit D2s, find a perfect fit, then get a D1 offer, and still choose the perfect fit at D2. And, I'm not sure why this would shock anyone so much that a kid might choose a D2 who has maybe recruited him for 2 years, one that is a perfect fit for him, over a D1 non winning school who came in way late in the recruiting process that few people have ever heard of.

I know you asked for examples, but I get a little hesitant to share too much info. If this means you don't believe me, fine, I really don't care. But, I have no reason to lie or mislead here. I only first responded because K talks down about the lower divisions. He has no clue how much talent is in D2. Then, Philly acted like he knew it all, and players, coaches, and parents were wrong, so I responded to that. And, I am responding to you here because I respect you as a poster. As you know, there are many others on here that I don't respect, which is another reason I don't like giving too much info about who I know and all that. I have no desire to know most people on here, and I certainly don't want them to know me.

Anyway, all good. Thanks for the reply. We have our opinions here, and also some known facts. I know what I posted was accurate, and I did not mean to mislead with the happens all the time comment.

thanks for the clarification.

if you know it happens, then it happens. I just know from the few AAU programs I've been close to, that no kid there was looking D2 if they had a D1 offer. sometimes D2 like a Felician or Dominican New York would be their 1st offer. but as Philly said, they give up right away once a kid has D1 offers.

I've heard of high academic D3's like Hopkins, Swarthmore and MIT trying to sell a kid on adacemics and playing time over a low D1 offer. they can't offer scholarships so parents have to be in really good financial shape, but some might go that route for the better degree. but D2's aren't generally on that level of academics.

Reactions: Zeeter
Okay, that's great. So, why would it be so crazy for you to believe that a guy like Kirby might choose a great D2 school over some Patriot offers? It's as if you wrote this post with the intent to counter your last one.
Because virtually none do make that choice!

Reactions: 8legs1dream
thanks for the clarification.

if you know it happens, then it happens. I just know from the few AAU programs I've been close to, that no kid there was looking D2 if they had a D1 offer. sometimes D2 like a Felician or Dominican New York would be their 1st offer. but as Philly said, they give up right away once a kid has D1 offers.

I've heard of high academic D3's like Hopkins, Swarthmore and MIT trying to sell a kid on adacemics and playing time over a low D1 offer. they can't offer scholarships so parents have to be in really good financial shape, but some might go that route for the better degree. but D2's aren't generally on that level of academics.
This is my experience through our AAU programs. Everything Sman says, including the general lack of high academics for D2s to even push. For the last two years, I have been the recruiting coordinator for both our Boys and Girls programs and before that coached for almost 20 years in AAU. My experience is virtually identical to what Sman states.

I will stand by by original statement that it is very rare for any kid with an actual D1 offer (an offer, not just interest) to ever select a D2 program - - all of VT's potential reasons notwithstanding. Not never - - just very rarely. And I will stand by the rest of my assertions as well - - - nothing is absolute so, for example, when I said "no" D2 coach is recruiting a D1 player, its not absolute zero. But just as Sman says, once a kid that a D2 coach is recruiting gets a D1 offer, the D2 guy will move his focus elsewhere. As I stated, he'll still take the kid etc. but he is a businessman - - he is moving his effort elsewhere where he sees more potential for success! This is because he knows how rare it is for these kids to ever choose a D2 over a D1

This is both my personal experience (and we regularly send kids to each of D1,2 and 3) and everything I hear from other programs and from both HS and college coaches (and especially D2 college coaches) that it is very rare.

Sman, I can see why my happens all the time comment would throw you off. I was responding to it doesn't happen by saying it happens all the time, meaning every year there will be some kids who decide a D2 school is a better fit than what D1 offers they might have gotten. So, I will apologize for any confusion. I can see why happens all the time would sound more like I am talking numerous kids every day. No, I didn't mean that at all.....but, it does happen. I know enough D1 and D2 kids, and, yes, enough coaches and players to know it does happen.

D2s can split up scholarships how they want. If they want a guy badly enough, they can offer a full ride. Also, academic scholarships are common to help cover partial scholarships. Very common. There are also other scholarships available, so a D2 player does have options to get a full ride scholarship, including room and board.

Also, there are plenty of quality, well known, good academic D2 schools out there. And, it's not like every 350+ D1 schools are so well known anyway. And, certainly not every D1 school has a better reputation academically than every D2 school.

You said once a kid gets a D1 offer, he's not going D2. Well, some kids will choose D2 because they want to win, they like the coach a lot better, they like the school a lot better, they like the location a lot better, the facilities, the community support, and other factors as well. It does happen. Kids will visit D2s, find a perfect fit, then get a D1 offer, and still choose the perfect fit at D2. And, I'm not sure why this would shock anyone so much that a kid might choose a D2 who has maybe recruited him for 2 years, one that is a perfect fit for him, over a D1 non winning school who came in way late in the recruiting process that few people have ever heard of.

I know you asked for examples, but I get a little hesitant to share too much info. If this means you don't believe me, fine, I really don't care. But, I have no reason to lie or mislead here. I only first responded because K talks down about the lower divisions. He has no clue how much talent is in D2. Then, Philly acted like he knew it all, and players, coaches, and parents were wrong, so I responded to that. And, I am responding to you here because I respect you as a poster. As you know, there are many others on here that I don't respect, which is another reason I don't like giving too much info about who I know and all that. I have no desire to know most people on here, and I certainly don't want them to know me.

Anyway, all good. Thanks for the reply. We have our opinions here, and also some known facts. I know what I posted was accurate, and I did not mean to mislead with the happens all the time comment.
The sound of a reverse shift.

This is my experience through our AAU programs. Everything Sman says, including the general lack of high academics for D2s to even push. For the last two years, I have been the recruiting coordinator for both our Boys and Girls programs and before that coached for almost 20 years in AAU. My experience is virtually identical to what Sman states.

I will stand by by original statement that it is very rare for any kid with an actual D1 offer (an offer, not just interest) to ever select a D2 program - - all of VT's potential reasons notwithstanding. Not never - - just very rarely. And I will stand by the rest of my assertions as well - - - nothing is absolute so, for example, when I said "no" D2 coach is recruiting a D1 player, its not absolute zero. But just as Sman says, once a kid that a D2 coach is recruiting gets a D1 offer, the D2 guy will move his focus elsewhere. As I stated, he'll still take the kid etc. but he is a businessman - - he is moving his effort elsewhere where he sees more potential for success! This is because he knows how rare it is for these kids to ever choose a D2 over a D1

This is both my personal experience (and we regularly send kids to each of D1,2 and 3) and everything I hear from other programs and from both HS and college coaches (and especially D2 college coaches) that it is very rare.
Will the transfer portal or has it resulted in more D1 kids moving down to D2? I only ask because i heard on the radio the other day for football that 25% of the kids that enter portal end up nowhere - they can't return to their new school and don't get picked up by another D1 school - so the result is they end up at a JUCCO or move down a level - FBS, D2, etc. And of course - we are not talking big time football recruits. But you might have a kid who never played a snap at JMU, or only played special teams for 1-11 Kent State, schools are not begging for your services. Is that happening in Men's basketball? These kids - who maybe were borderline D1/D2 out of high school - sign on for D1, but don't see playing time on that low level D1 program - and then they want to transfer out in portal - get no hits or anyone interested (cause they are likely a D2 type player) - do they end up out of the portal and moving down to D2?

This is the ugly side of the portal I don't think anyone really talks about much - but it exists.

Trap, that's very real. I knew a kid from a strong HS program who got a ride at a lower level mid major. think it was his only offer and he wisely jumped on it. 1st in his family to go to college. and it was at a decent program and a school that would give him a very respectable degree.

he earned some playing time early. eventually he was starting games and playing solid minutes. the team was losing though. don't know if that was the reason, but he entered the portal. what could go wrong? he's a starter, he'll find a better opportunity, right?

after a while he was posting highlight tapes on social media ... the "still available" ones. no D1s bit. early September he announced he joined a D2 in the south.

Reactions: urfan1
It sucks however I don’t find that as the ugly side of the portal if u go willingly. U choose that risk knowing the odds. It’s like u can’t be too pissed off u lost $ at the casino.

Now if pushed in that’s a little tougher. But we know that’s been going on for a while too. Some schools not as cutthroat as others. Now w getting paid to play it’s really that ship is a 1 year renewable deal that’s it. If it wasn’t b4 now free rein to push kids into portal anytime.

Reactions: Zeeter and urfan1
Btw I forgot about the whole d1 d2 d3 offer debate on here. Good stuff. Underrated thread! Still not sure I can name a d2 in Ohio but can definitely name d3s.

Last edited:
It sucks however I don’t find that as the ugly side of the portal if u go willingly. U choose that risk knowing the odds. It’s like u can’t be too pissed off u lost $ at the casino.

Now if pushed in that’s a little tougher. But we know that’s been going on for a while too. Some schools not as cutthroat as others. Now w getting paid to play it’s really that ship is a 1 year renewable deal that’s it. If it wasn’t b4 now free rein to push kids into portal anytime.
Ugly in the sense in that I think most people on the outside just think the portal is good as it allows kids to find a better situation and better themselves, just like coaches have been doing for years and years. And they see a star from low D1 move on to a better program and get better opportunities, etc. Or see a kid who played on a losing team get to move to a winning team and maybe make the NCAA tourney. But they don't see the kid who enters and gets nothing. The kid willingly moved in - your right. So they are part of this as well - I am willing to bet some of those kids would be better off staying at their school, and fighting for more playing time or sticking it out.

agreed. bad decisions or bad advice. in the above kid's case, I don't think he even considered the possibility that he wouldn't get offers. I'm sure he'll be fine, but I do feel bad for him.

Reactions: urfan1 and spider23
Will the transfer portal or has it resulted in more D1 kids moving down to D2? I only ask because i heard on the radio the other day for football that 25% of the kids that enter portal end up nowhere - they can't return to their new school and don't get picked up by another D1 school - so the result is they end up at a JUCCO or move down a level - FBS, D2, etc. And of course - we are not talking big time football recruits. But you might have a kid who never played a snap at JMU, or only played special teams for 1-11 Kent State, schools are not begging for your services. Is that happening in Men's basketball? These kids - who maybe were borderline D1/D2 out of high school - sign on for D1, but don't see playing time on that low level D1 program - and then they want to transfer out in portal - get no hits or anyone interested (cause they are likely a D2 type player) - do they end up out of the portal and moving down to D2?

This is the ugly side of the portal I don't think anyone really talks about much - but it exists.
There is also a good side with the portal for a lot of kids who get recruited to low level D1 or D2 schools. They can choose the D2 school (sorry guys, I know for a fact this happens) and get a lot of playing time right away, put up big time stats, show how talented they are, and not only transfer up to D1, but transfer to a D1 power conference school. For some of you to think the D2 guys who do that never had any D1 offers? Crazy.

hill-to-die-on.jpeg

Reactions: GKiller
There is also a good side with the portal for a lot of kids who get recruited to low level D1 or D2 schools. They can choose the D2 school (sorry guys, I know for a fact this happens) and get a lot of playing time right away, put up big time stats, show how talented they are, and not only transfer up to D1, but transfer to a D1 power conference school. For some of you to think the D2 guys who do that never had any D1 offers? Crazy.
I agree - I know from my own experience with friends and relatives, I have known kids who had low level D1 offers and good D2 offers - and some of them took the D2 offers to schools that won a lot of games, competed for championships, etc. Is it on a smaller scale - of course it is. But at the end of the day - guess what - a scholarship is a scholarship - whether its D1 or D2. Doesn't matter - its free (or partially free depending on the sport) education.

Reactions: VT4700
So if 4 years ago your only 2 offers were Chicago ST or Queens, where would you go?

Btw I forgot about the whole d1 d2 d3 offer debate on here. Good stuff. Underrated thread! Still not sure I can name a d3 in Ohio but can definitely name d2s.
The OAC is full of Ohio D3s. The G-MAC is full of Ohio D2s.

Ashland is the only Ohio D2 that immediately comes to mind, had a friend who went there.

Lots of D3s come to mind...Kenyon, Denison, Oberlin, Marietta, Wooster, Mount Union, John Carroll, and of course Case Western.

Reactions: GKiller
Ashland is the only Ohio D2 that immediately comes to mind, had a friend who went there.

Lots of D3s come to mind...Kenyon, Denison, Oberlin, Marietta, Wooster, Mount Union, John Carroll, and of course Case Western.

Whoops sorry that's exactly what I meant. Can name D3s not D2s. I reversed it. Going back to edit that one.

Still no sign of recruitment interest from anyone that I've seen. Gotta think walk-on with us is an option if he wants a shot at D-I. But I'm sure he has plenty of D-III options as well.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
23.5, 7.8 and 3.7 per game ... shoots well ... dunks with ease ...

it's really hard to get a D1 offer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT