ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Question

So is your theory that these guys stop learning at 18? Separating mooney from the theory, it seems implausible that coaches don't contribute to the development of their players. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statements though.

My theory is that my little league coach was an idiot parent. Had no idea how to coach. College coaches should know better. Maybe adjust.

Of course the guys are learning and getting better, but that doesn't always translate into wins, and therein lies the problem.

The problem with bringing a coach back, especially at our mid-major level, because of an incoming class is that it means you probably need to keep him around then for 2, if not 3 more years to see that class develop.

I know everyone on here seems to think next year's class will be the best class yet for Mooney, but I am of the opinion that many of those frosh will not get to play much next season.

We have a 7 man rotation now, and lose 3 guys Allen and Davis and Taylor. Allen will no doubt be replaced by Wood, and Davis will be replaced by Fore. Who takes over for Taylor? Well - we have seen Paul get a few minutes, so its either a SOPH with little to no experience or a frosh with no experience. You will most likely see a starting line-up of ShawnDre, Fore, Wood, Cline, and

I am not sure Mooney can develop players. All the guys you mention - Allen, Kendall, Kevin Anderson, Harp, Gonzo, Ced, Geriot - these were all guys who played a lot of minutes since they were frosh, and some as Soph. And some of those guys - Gonzo, Anderson, Geriot - all played on bad teams when they arrived and had no chance of coming out of games because there was no one behind them. So although Mooney might have developed them, I might argue they developed themselves.

I think the better mark of a coach developing players are guys who don't play a lot early in their career, maybe are role players or bench guys - but when their time is called, either because of graduation or injury - they are able to step right in and there is not a huge dropoff. And that has been a major weakness of Mooney. After the NCAA years - guy like Garrett, Martel, Williams, Robins were never able to step up when it was their turn to lead. And we are seeing some similar things this year - we lose ANO, which opens the door for Taylor to step up and he has never taken a step forward. We need some help at guard this year because we lost Anthony, leaving some room for Davis to step up - and he has possibly gotten worse statistically since his Sophmore year. A good example for next year would be Paul - redshirt one year, plays a few games this year, and next season with the loss of Allen and Taylor, he seems to be in line for an expanded role - will he be able to step up.

So I don't agree with the develop talent and that is part of the reason I don't like the argument of keeping a coach like Mooney for his recruiting class. Any time a coach leaves or is fired - there is always an adjustment period (most of the time), usually a year or two.

What always confuses me is how we have a seven player rotation, are losing three of those players, are going to have a seven player rotation next season...using only players from this season's seven man rotation.

7-3=7?

Reactions: SpiderK
How many of you have written to Gill about mediocrity of the program? Written to
John O'Connor to ask specific questions at press conferences? I have and Gill stated
he did not share my pessimism and that we are on right path. O'Connor simply said
thank you and interesting.

If you have a complaint about the state of the program, you need to make sure you
are voicing it. I did not ask for coaching removal, but wanted to know what was Gill's
assessment of a successful program and how often should postseason (NCAA & NIT)
take place.

:confused:
assessment of a successful program and how often should postseason (NCAA & NIT)
take place.

What was his answer to these questions? I don't know how he could look around the arena at the GM game and honestly state that we are on the right path. Guess he was thinking football.

How many of you have written to Gill about mediocrity of the program? Written to
John O'Connor to ask specific questions at press conferences? I have and Gill stated
he did not share my pessimism and that we are on right path. O'Connor simply said
thank you and interesting.

Interesting. Carolina how about putting Gill's e-mail address up here? I think that is a more appropriate venue for those who desire to voice their opinion on the state of the program. Gill is Mooney's boss after all.

I've been on record that I think the AD should at least clarify if he feels that the program is meeting expectations and defining what those expectations are at the end of the season.

Reactions: spiders13
I asked it because I view myself as a realist. I get incensed when the fire Mooney crowd comes on here after every single loss and blames the entire thing on Mooney. I find that totally absurd, particularly when we go 0-15 from 3-point land or things like that.

On the other hand, I do share the concern that the program has stagnated or plateaued. I don't think it is from a lack of desire, or effort, from anyone involved (also absurd). I do think maybe the message is a bit stale, and do get frustrated with the apparent unwillingness to COMMIT to changes in defense or player rotation, etc. I do agree you need to be able to adapt to your surroundings or risk getting overtaken.

But, I am pretty excited to see DB and NS in particular, and think it would be a major step backward to fire the coach and lose these recruits. So I think I side on "no" but it's closer than I wish it would be. Ideal scenario is that Mooney gets a "come to Jesus" meeting with Gill or even on his own, a la Tom Coughlin after the retirement of Tiki Barber.

If I could ask one question of him, it would be "do YOU have the courage to commit to making hard decisions, and stick to them? You may need to change the way you prefer to do things, but it could be for the best interest of this team and next."

I asked it because I view myself as a realist. I get incensed when the fire Mooney crowd comes on here after every single loss and blames the entire thing on Mooney. I find that totally absurd, particularly when we go 0-15 from 3-point land or things like that.

On the other hand, I do share the concern that the program has stagnated or plateaued. I don't think it is from a lack of desire, or effort, from anyone involved (also absurd). I do think maybe the message is a bit stale, and do get frustrated with the apparent unwillingness to COMMIT to changes in defense or player rotation, etc. I do agree you need to be able to adapt to your surroundings or risk getting overtaken.

But, I am pretty excited to see DB and NS in particular, and think it would be a major step backward to fire the coach and lose these recruits. So I think I side on "no" but it's closer than I wish it would be. Ideal scenario is that Mooney gets a "come to Jesus" meeting with Gill or even on his own, a la Tom Coughlin after the retirement of Tiki Barber.

If I could ask one question of him, it would be "do YOU have the courage to commit to making hard decisions, and stick to them? You may need to change the way you prefer to do things, but it could be for the best interest of this team and next."

Well said.

Of course the guys are learning and getting better, but that doesn't always translate into wins, and therein lies the problem.
And how on earth can you say they are getting better? The only better would be that they improve as a team unit to win games. Are you saying that each individual has improved but the team hasnt improved? I dont buy it and if thats the case that is a serious coaching failure.

The AD will react only when the big donors are fed up or season ticket sales tank, same for every program at every school. Emailing the AD will get a lukewarm response but that's it.

Reactions: ur2K
And how on earth can you say they are getting better? The only better would be that they improve as a team unit to win games. Are you saying that each individual has improved but the team hasnt improved? I dont buy it and if thats the case that is a serious coaching failure.
FS, that's a very one-dimensional perspective. I can improve my performance but still not outpace the performance of the competition. So if we want to re-cast the definition of "improvement" to include that we win more games or whatever, then we should do so. Frankly, that's probably the measure that most people care about, so I understand your point.

Reactions: urfan1
The AD will react only when the big donors are fed up or season ticket sales tank, same for every program at every school. Emailing the AD will get a lukewarm response but that's it.

I talked to my friend over at U of R a while back and season ticket sales are up 60% over just five years ago. Also, you can see the crowds and the sell outs, the fan base is happy, the school is VERY happy.

I talked to my friend over at U of R a while back and season ticket sales are up 60% over just five years ago. Also, you can see the crowds and the sell outs, the fan base is happy, the school is VERY happy.
That's a measure that does not reflect conference championships & NCAA appearances. If sell outs and fan base is happy, I guess that's enough for some. I wonder if the players prefer sell outs or being able to dance in the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: KWeaver
FS, that's a very one-dimensional perspective. I can improve my performance but still not outpace the performance of the competition. So if we want to re-cast the definition of "improvement" to include that we win more games or whatever, then we should do so. Frankly, that's probably the measure that most people care about, so I understand your point.
Ok so you are saying that we have gotten better "as a team" but the competition has improved on a greater level? I can understand that theory but if you watch the games there is no way youcan say this team has gotten better as the season has gone on. And if other teams have progressed beyond us its because their coach has adjusted to the circumstances where ours has not. Either way it is a result of poor coaching imo.

Im thinking this is a joke. I went to two games and neither was half full.

Interesting. Carolina how about putting Gill's e-mail address up here? I think that is a more appropriate venue for those who desire to voice their opinion on the state of the program. Gill is Mooney's boss after all.

I've been on record that I think the AD should at least clarify if he feels that the program is meeting expectations and defining what those expectations are at the end of the season.
I went to Richmondspiders.com and went to staff directory and emailed directly to him.

Ok so you are saying that we have gotten better "as a team" but the competition has improved on a greater level? I can understand that theory but if you watch the games there is no way youcan say this team has gotten better as the season has gone on. And if other teams have progressed beyond us its because their coach has adjusted to the circumstances where ours has not. Either way it is a result of poor coaching imo.
No, I'm not saying we have gotten better as the season has progressed, we have definitely worsened. I was only responding to the philosophical argument that's been advanced by some that our players don't develop/improve. I think that's nonsense.

:confused:

What was his answer to these questions? I don't know how he could look around the arena at the GM game and honestly state that we are on the right path. Guess he was thinking football.
His answer was very politically correct in that "our goals are to always each year to make the NCAA tournament and we are very disappointed when we do not". He basically said in so many words that there would be no change to either women's or men's programs based on fact Shafer has faced some very difficult circumstances and Mooney has lost so many close games and he has us on right path.

So if we are wondering about any coaching changes, it is not going to take place. But I did really question if the admissions standards create a major roadblock to us getting the quality
of player we need to compete in the A10. That he has not answered. I pointed out that Davidson, GW and St Louis for one have tough standards, and they are competitive year after year.
So either blame the admissions dept or the coaching staff or both.

Reactions: 64Spider
No, I'm not saying we have gotten better as the season has progressed, we have definitely worsened. I was only responding to the philosophical argument that's been advanced by some that our players don't develop/improve. I think that's nonsense.
Players that get more game experience should develop more, just common sense. If one thinks that overall the UR basketball players have developed sufficiently under Mooney, then you would have to be in the "not recruiting A-10 caliber players to begin with" camp. Either way you look at it highlights a coaching failure.

His answer was very politically correct in that "our goals are to always each year to make the NCAA tournament and we are very disappointed when we do not". He basically said in so many words that there would be no change to either women's or men's programs based on fact Shafer has faced some very difficult circumstances and Mooney has lost so many close games and he has us on right path.

So if we are wondering about any coaching changes, it is not going to take place. But I did really question if the admissions standards create a major roadblock to us getting the quality
of player we need to compete in the A10. That he has not answered. I pointed out that Davidson, GW and St Louis for one have tough standards, and they are competitive year after year.
So either blame the admissions dept or the coaching staff or both.
This is why emailing the AD is a waste of time. He has no option but to provide the rah-rah political answer.

Sending an email to anyone in the AD is a waste of time and effort. They're always going to toe the PR line and stay on message. If anyone is waiting for candid, off the record emails such as "yeah, we agree with your sentiments and plan on cleaning house at the end of year....but sssshhhh. Don't tell anyone." then you're smoking the good stuff.

If someone is fed up with the current state of the program then stop going to games, stop buying tickets, stop buying at the concessions and stop buying souvenirs. As sad as it sounds, if a large amount of people start doing that then they'll take notice because what matters most? Their bank accounts and P&L's.

This is why emailing the AD is a waste of time. He has no option but to provide the rah-rah political answer.
I may have stated before??? Coach will be here for duration of contract regardless of win loss record year to year & even if we don't make NCAA tournament again.

If it plays out that way, then that's quite sad & speaks volumes of the pecking order.

This is major Division 1 sports. There is pressure to win and win big here. I disagree that stop supporting the team, buying tickets, merchandise is the way to go.

The way to go is to express your thoughts to the AD. Yes, of course he is going to give you a canned response. If he was going to fire Mooney tomorrow, he would give you that same response. However, if I do think it makes a difference if he hears there is discontent from 15 people versus hearing that from 250 people. As long as he thinks the vast majority of the fan base is content with the program, the easier it is for him to sit on his laurels and do nothing.

Gill is not firing Mooney after the season, that is not happening. However, perhaps if Gill hears from enough ruffled feathers, that his end of year conversation with Mooney has a bit of a different tone than it did last year. Maybe that conversation compels Chris to do some things differently, like make a personnel change, prioritize playing younger players more, demands that he uses all of his scholarship each year, etc...

Reactions: 64Spider and urfan1
Im thinking this is a joke. I went to two games and neither was half full.
not a joke, fact... The 7,201-seat Robins Center has hosted five sellouts in 2015, and Richmond ranks fourth in the A-10 in average attendance at 5,749 - last year BEFORE the NIT tournament... this year is about the same, I have seen great crowds - tomorrow is a sellout again...remember not all seats actually have a person in them to sell out.

It's a shame that some are so blinded by their frustration/anger that they cannot see anything but bad.

SpiderGuy, I agree with you.

Reactions: spider fan
not a joke, fact... The 7,201-seat Robins Center has hosted five sellouts in 2015, and Richmond ranks fourth in the A-10 in average attendance at 5,749 - last year BEFORE the NIT tournament... this year is about the same, I have seen great crowds - tomorrow is a sellout again...remember not all seats actually have a person in them to sell out.
I have to agree about our attendance. It has been very good, even though the students still don't show up unless it's VDU. I have seen many many empty A-10 and other arenas on TV this year. Some of it has to do with almost all games being on TV or online now.

It's a shame that some are so blinded by their frustration/anger that they cannot see anything but bad.

Come on, URFan1. I think so many of the positives that we can see are what have led to frustration -- we are thrilled with the updates to the arena. It's good to see attendance numbers up. These are indicators that we as fans are doing our part, in fact, and the university is doing some great things, too, as far as investing in the program. But, enough is enough! We can't just sit back and say that this season is going great!

Acknowledgment is the first place to start. Commitment to change is another thing that I would like to see. There are many warning signs out there that things won't improve to any measurable degree.

KW you think I don't share your frustration? But my question to you is what are you doing--other that complaining on a anonymous message board?

If you haven't noticed U of R is doing everything they can possibly do to pack the Robins Center, and for that I appalled them. They have adopted the family fun, Richmond Squirrels approach and it has worked. My kids couldn't be happier at the games, wife oblivious to the team record, just enjoys the atmosphere. Sit back relax, Mooney is a good coach and even better person, and he isn't going anywhere, lets talk about what things we can control: armchair quarterbacking.

Reactions: Ulla1 and spiderman
Everyone has their perspectives. I'm glad that your wife is oblivious to the team record. I can tell you that there are other wives who aren't. One I know travels to out of town games and is not a happy camper. It's just not an entertainment thing to those who take their team seriously and want their team to perform up to potential. Do you belive we're fulfilling potential?

I doubt the players consider it an entertainment thing. I'm just guessing that they are playing their hearts out for wins, to be #1 in the conference, and to get an NCAA bid.

Per you statement: CM may be wonderful person, but I'm not sure the consensus at this point is that he's a good coach. Your statement is relative, & I don't think conference championships & NCAA bids would support your opinion. If you're using entertainment value as a criteria, then shooting a ton of 3's would qualify as a "yes".

If you haven't noticed U of R is doing everything they can possibly do to pack the Robins Center, and for that I appalled them. They have adopted the family fun, Richmond Squirrels approach and it has worked. My kids couldn't be happier at the games, wife oblivious to the team record, just enjoys the atmosphere. Sit back relax, Mooney is a good coach and even better person, and he isn't going anywhere, lets talk about what things we can control: armchair quarterbacking.
93 what can we control? Attendance, financial support, etc.... If Quelly can dictate a lacrosse team, why can we not influence the success of our revenue sports?

KW you think I don't share your frustration? But my question to you is what are you doing--other that complaining on a anonymous message board?

I've donated to the athletics department, I've watched or listened to as many games as I can get here (I live abroad), I have supported UR unconditionally. I have had a letter penned to Gill that I haven't sent yet. What else should I be doing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT