ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Question

Typically the school's large donors fund the dismissal of a coach. UVA at one time was paying Pete Gillen, Dave Leitao, and new hire Tony Bennett thanks to guys like John Tudor Jones. Mike London was shown the door when the 65,000 seat football stadium only sold season tickets at a fraction of that number. I recall something to the tune of $2MM lost per game. Granted all of this took place at a much larger school but the same principle holds true. So until Mr. Big Buck has seen enough or the season ticket sales drop to 25% of current numbers we might as well quit grumbling and try to find something positive.

Not a poster on here other then the trolls who would not prefer that Richmond was undefeated and ranked number one in the nation. I read and post on here because like other posters I bleed red (literally) and blue (before it comes in contact with the air). Message board posts from certain posters (probably including myself) have become as predictable as night and day. We lose a game we on paper should win and all is doom and darkness for some and Mooney is totally to blame. We win a game we on paper should have lost and it has nothing to do with coaching for some. Some of the posts (again including my own) border on the neurotic and pathological. Some want to make sure all message board readers know the very low opinion they hold of Mooney's coaching. There is also the opposite of happy sunshine no matter what but reading the names of the threads the negativity has the edge. Kind of gets to the point of monotony but like you I keep reading by choice. Also conjecture most posters (troll exception) support the school in various ways and want our team(s) to succeed. Part of it is well expressed by the line in the Mamas and Papas song - Dedicated to the One I Love - "life can never be exactly like we want it to be." For those of you who like me remember how good looking Michelle Phillips was there is a link at the top of this post just for fun-

The other thing I would say when I started this chain--if you are one of the people who calls for Mooney's head after every single loss, but answered "no" to the obviously hypothetical question, please stop calling for Mooney's head after every single loss. There are plenty of fatherspiders out there for all of us. But at least he's consistent.

I
Terry Allen is one of the best players in the league and is going to make a lot of money playing basketball as a pro. I don't want to get all defending Mooney on a day like today, but to say he can not develop talent is ludicrous.

Terry Allen, TJ, Kendall, Kevin Anderson, Harp, Gonzo, Ced, Geriot are all players whose games improved significantly under Mooney. We have a load of guys playing professionally oversees now as well.

He needs to do a far better job at recruiting talent but once it hear, he is able to develop it.

I hope your happy now, that I had to go all s-man and 2011 here and throw up the old defense of the regime.
I don't think the issue is Mooney's development of players. The issue is that he is a BAD game coach. He does not have the ability to make changes during the game, does not know when to call time outs and does not get consistency out of his players. If the initial game plan is not working, we lose. In the real world, you have to be able to adapt and Mooney can not do that.
If you are happy with the hope of the NIT each year - Mooney is your man.

Not a poster on here other then the trolls who would not prefer that Richmond was undefeated and ranked number one in the nation. I read and post on here because like other posters I bleed red (literally) and blue (before it comes in contact with the air). Message board posts from certain posters (probably including myself) have become as predictable as night and day. We lose a game we on paper should win and all is doom and darkness for some and Mooney is totally to blame. We win a game we on paper should have lost and it has nothing to do with coaching for some. Some of the posts (again including my own) border on the neurotic and pathological. Some want to make sure all message board readers know the very low opinion they hold of Mooney's coaching. There is also the opposite of happy sunshine no matter what but reading the names of the threads the negativity has the edge. Kind of gets to the point of monotony but like you I keep reading by choice. Also conjecture most posters (troll exception) support the school in various ways and want our team(s) to succeed. Part of it is well expressed by the line in the Mamas and Papas song - Dedicated to the One I Love - "life can never be exactly like we want it to be." For those of you who like me remember how good looking Michelle Phillips was there is a link at the top of this post just for fun-
of course we cant get exactly what we want but we arent expecting UNC results here. And its not just the results w cm its the lack of any flexibility what so ever and if you want to talk about predictability, just watch our next game and how cm will coach. The whole league knows his every move.

I

I don't think the issue is Mooney's development of players. The issue is that he is a BAD game coach. He does not have the ability to make changes during the game, does not know when to call time outs and does not get consistency out of his players. If the initial game plan is not working, we lose. In the real world, you have to be able to adapt and Mooney can not do that.
If you are happy with the hope of the NIT each year - Mooney is your man.
Be careful, you will be reminded of your paper route.

The other thing I would say when I started this chain--if you are one of the people who calls for Mooney's head after every single loss, but answered "no" to the obviously hypothetical question, please stop calling for Mooney's head after every single loss. There are plenty of fatherspiders out there for all of us. But at least he's consistent.
Not entirely true. After the UNI game which I was at live, i posted many times that I thought this team was going to go pretty far. I even threw down some cash against TT thinking they were better than people realized. So I havent been totally negative, lol

If you haven't noticed U of R is doing everything they can possibly do to pack the Robins Center, and for that I appalled them. They have adopted the family fun, Richmond Squirrels approach and it has worked. My kids couldn't be happier at the games, wife oblivious to the team record, just enjoys the atmosphere. Sit back relax, Mooney is a good coach and even better person, and he isn't going anywhere, lets talk about what things we can control: armchair quarterbacking.
This point makes me think its not even worth it to be a fan of the spiders. We should just sit back and enjoy the games knowing nothing really good has a chance of taking place. You are saying to the fanbase that they shouldnt be very passionate about the team, because they will most likely be disappointed. Leave the passion at home, have a free bagel, and enjoy the mascot performance. Winning is overrated.

Reactions: iSpider
I'm passionate about this program and while we're certainly struggling, I don't think the ship is sinking, I don't think canning CM is in our best interest and I don't think everything he does is wrong. I already regret posting this as it'll likely just lead to another 90 posts rehashing everything that's already been criticized on this board. we all have our opinions.

This point makes me think its not even worth it to be a fan of the spiders. We should just sit back and enjoy the games knowing nothing really good has a chance of taking place. You are saying to the fanbase that they shouldnt be very passionate about the team, because they will most likely be disappointed. Leave the passion at home, have a free bagel, and enjoy the mascot performance. Winning is overrated.
X2

When I first read "entertainment post", it made think back to the time I took my daughter to the Coliseum to see Ringling Brothers when the circus came to town. If I want light entertainment, I'll check out a movie, go to a club to hear music, or catch a play at the theater. If I want sports and want serious basketball with brethren who are passionate fans of Spiders basketball, I'm going to the Robins Center. To each his own.

Reactions: SpiderK and KWeaver
Guy, I'm like you, when I go to sports I like the see the event. But it seems sports are becoming more and more an entertainment event.

X2

When I first read "entertainment post", it made think back to the time I took my daughter to the Coliseum to see Ringling Brothers when the circus came to town. If I want light entertainment, I'll check out a movie, go to a club to hear music, or catch a play at the theater. If I want sports and want serious basketball with brethren who are passionate fans of Spiders basketball, I'm going to the Robins Center. To each his own.
There are tons of posters on this board who have clamored over the years for UR to improve the game experience and try to draw more casual fans. Lest we forget...that's what we are doing.

Reactions: urfan1 and SpiderK
Nothing wrong with all the off court entertainment, admin has done a nice job. But it will all grow tired and boring if we don't win. People follow winners, people cheer for winners, people buy tickets to see winners.
Just win baby!!

Nothing wrong with all the off court entertainment, admin has done a nice job. But it will all grow tired and boring if we don't win. People follow winners, people cheer for winners, people buy tickets to see winners.
Just win baby!!
Maybe it's a minority of fans that are more concerned with establishing a program that on a "reasonably regular basis" is at the top of the conference & makes it to postseason NCAA. Can we say we are there?

The environment is wonderful at RC. For me, I'd be content playing in a barn or a building like the old Arena if we were putting out a product that consistently achieves. Suites, jugglers, singing competitions are are great family entertainment and may draw crowds. How many of those jugglers are going to help win the conference?

At the end of this season, who is going to remember the guy who rode a unicycle at half time? On the other hand, who is going to remember that we get left behind...another year and that school on Broad St. and the team from C'ville once again make the dance? Why not us?

Did anyone find it slightly eyebrow-raising that there was already another customer survey sent around yesterday?

Did anyone find it slightly eyebrow-raising that there was already another customer survey sent around yesterday?
Mo, I thought the same thing. There was space at the end to make specific comments to improve the experience. One might state that winning improves the experience and greatly enhances my drive home to Ellicott City. OSC

Reactions: KWeaver
Mo, I thought the same thing. There was space at the end to make specific comments to improve the experience. One might state that winning improves the experience and greatly enhances my drive home to Ellicott City. OSC

FWIW, it enhances my 5 minute drive home too.

Appreciate your support of the Spiders, ulla.

Reactions: 72Spider
You guys must be on a special list - no survey here.

Surveys did not make it to South America. Of course I haven't been at a home game in 2 years or so. So obviously this makes sense.

The drive from Ellicott City is no joke. Mad props to the ever positive Ulla!

No survey here either. Really the school has done a good job with the facility, promotions, entertainment, etc but with underachieving team it won't make a lot of difference. Nobody I know buys tickets or makes contributions to see monkeys and dogs, unicyclist, etc. We wanted to be the Gonzaga of the east not the sideshow from the state fair.

As much as I'd like 7100 attendees who bleed red and blue, it's not where we are. So if we have a bunch of folks who come because of a fun experience and don't make the RC feel like a concrete mausoleum, then let's count that as a blessing.

Reactions: SpiderK
As much as I'd like 7100 attendees who bleed red and blue, it's not where we are. So if we have a bunch of folks who come because of a fun experience and don't make the RC feel like a concrete mausoleum, then let's count that as a blessing.
I dont think anyone is arguing that creating an entertaining environment outside of the actual games is not a positive. Its that it doesnt replace having a contending basketball team. I think we all agree to that.

Reactions: urfan1
Our atmosphere at the robins center is great. Saw our game at GW and the atmosphere we have is demonstrably better.

The marketing and athletic department folks in charge of it deserve a lot of credit.

Different topic though when we discuss the product on the floor.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I guess I'm not on the favored list that Mo is on either, I didn't get a survey either. He must give more money than I do.

not a joke, fact... The 7,201-seat Robins Center has hosted five sellouts in 2015, and Richmond ranks fourth in the A-10 in average attendance at 5,749 - last year BEFORE the NIT tournament... this year is about the same, I have seen great crowds - tomorrow is a sellout again...remember not all seats actually have a person in them to sell out.

Saturday just about SOLD out... another game, another sell out!

Don't know about the unicycle guy, but when the dog with the monkey on his back took a crap on Tarrant Court, that was the beginning of the end of our post season hopes. Coincidence? I think not...

Reactions: SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT