ADVERTISEMENT

Gilyard

Indeed, you have to love Gilyard's poise and confidence, he's playing like an upper classman.

Being a sophomore I’ve only watched spider basketball the past 2 years. But in my opinion gilyard is already a better player than SDJ was his senior year. And that’s a compliment to gilyard not a knock on SDJ

That is going a bit far. He has potential to get there, but SDJ was a bigger part of a much better team and an all-A10 caliber player. Gilyard's defense is ahead of SDJ's but his offense and ball handling are not there yet.

Reactions: SpiderK
That is going a bit far. He has potential to get there, but SDJ was a bigger part of a much better team and an all-A10 caliber player. Gilyard's defense is ahead of SDJ's but his offense and ball handling are not there yet.

SDJ made third-team A10 his senior year. I'll be very disappointed if Gilyard doesn't exceed that in his career.

SDJ made third-team A10 his senior year. I'll be very disappointed if Gilyard doesn't exceed that in his career.

I think he has a good chance to exceed that too, but Gilyard isn't making all-A10 third team this year which is what he would have to do to equal senior year SDJ. For a little perspective, SDJ had 10 20+ point games his senior year, including 3 30+ point games. Gilyard is not there yet.

Reactions: gospidersgo

His ball handling is better

I think his ball handling is equal or better. SDJ scored a lot more his senior year than gilyard will this year, but I think that’s more about gilyard being more of a passer and not trying to be a scorer himself as often as SDJ did. Either way, we got a damn good one in JG

Gilyard has a lot of potential, but to put him in the same league as KA (2000+ point scorer, #2 all time; biggest clutch player in history), and K0 (all time leading 3 point scorer, and one of the most exciting players in program history) is premature to say the least.

My concern with Gilyard is whether his slight build will hold up to the beating it will take over his 4 years of playing.

From where I stand JG is right up there. I have been around Spider Basketball since I was a student there in 1975. He has started since day 1 his freshman year. Everyone on here thought that when Kwan returned he would be relegated to a six-man role.

I think his ball handling is equal or better. SDJ scored a lot more his senior year than gilyard will this year, but I think that’s more about gilyard being more of a passer and not trying to be a scorer himself as often as SDJ did. Either way, we got a damn good one in JG

Gilyard never got to play with TJ.

I think he has a good chance to exceed that too, but Gilyard isn't making all-A10 third team this year which is what he would have to do to equal senior year SDJ. For a little perspective, SDJ had 10 20+ point games his senior year, including 3 30+ point games. Gilyard is not there yet.
Good points and appreciate the perspective. Easy to forget (coming behind KA & KA) how good SDJ was. Gilyard will certainly set records and be in the top 10 in several categories. Really looking forward to seeing him grow.

Jake is having an excellent freshman year, and is only touching his potential as a scorer. He is a role-model floor-general, and will continue to improve his assist numbers when his teammates start hitting more wide-open shots (that woudl be assists). If Jake continues his current trends he will also break many "steals" records too.

One reservation is that Jake has so far not shown the kind of offensive confidence that I believe he will eventually develop. He is as good a shooter as Kendall, but is taking far fewer shots so far. Once Jake develops more confidence, and once his teammates (and coaches) encourage him to take more 3's, his numbers will look for like Kendall in scoring and more like the best we have had in Assists-TOs ratio (Kenny Atkinson?). Am very happy to have Jake leading the team for 3.3 more years.
It may be very close statistically between Jake and ShawnDre's senior year, but Jake is bringing more to the table. Jake was already a "hair" ahead of SDJ after our first 10 games, and he has distanced himself since then. Somebody want to do a head-to-head comparison, in all statistical categories, as of today? Jake wins. .

SDJ had the best assist to turnover ratio of any point guard under Mooney. He had over 2 assists per turnover his sophomore, junior and senior years topping out at 2.2. KA, Ced and K0 all topped out around 1.5 or 1.6. TJC never broke 2 A/T. SDJ's passing and ball handling are very underrated by many on this board. He was a very good guard in a long line of very good guards under Mooney, and Gilyard is looking like he will continue Mooney's streak.

To be fair Gilyard has 2.3 A/T right now, which is better than I thought and a very good sign. If he can finish the season out above 2 A/T it would be very impressive.

Last edited:
We can't compare a freshman Gilyard with a senior SDJ. First SDJ was more of a 2 guard while Gilyard is a true point guard. Second, SDJ as a senior was a really polished player.

One area though that was is a true weakness for SDJ was end of game/clutch shot and game management. SDJ many times came up small when we needed a big time shot and despite being a good FT shooter, SDJ would miss key FT's with far too great of frequency. Gilyard has already hit 2 big time game winning or sealing shots in his young career and I want the ball in his hands at the end of the game. SDJ, I always wanted the ball in someone else's hands at the end of the game.

From where I stand JG is right up there. I have been around Spider Basketball since I was a student there in 1975. He has started since day 1 his freshman year. Everyone on here thought that when Kwan returned he would be relegated to a six-man role.
Not accurate, some have called for the coach to hitch his wagon to Gilyard since pre-season. Some recognized early on that Gilyard (even with freshman inconsistencies) is a much better long-term option than Fore. Some have consistently advocated to stick with Gilyard even as he goes through his ups and downs.

He’s already a better defender as a freshman. He’s a game changer with his ability to steal the ball.

Reactions: whampas
I have been most impressed with his work ethic. He goes into the Robins Center to practice shooting early in the morning. I haven't heard that since Kevin Anderson.

Not accurate, some have called for the coach to hitch his wagon to Gilyard since pre-season. Some recognized early on that Gilyard (even with freshman inconsistencies) is a much better long-term option than Fore. Some have consistently advocated to stick with Gilyard even as he goes through his ups and downs.
What is not accurate?
I don't know what you are talking about, I have read early on of those who didn't think JG would remain a starter. I felt from day one that he was the real deal. I am not disputed what you say. JG has earned all the praises coming his way.

What is not accurate?

I don't know what you are talking about, I have read early on of those who didn't think JG would remain a starter. I felt from day one that he was the real deal. I am not disputed what you say. JG has earned all the praises coming his way.
Your comment that "Everyone on here thought that when Kwan returned he would be relegated to a six-man role."

Reactions: gcarter52
I think the point is Gilyard didn't have to REPLACE Khwan though. They play completely different games and both are very valuable to us. It wasn't one or the other can play, but not both. We have plenty of minutes for any good players.

Reactions: gcarter52
I think where Khwan may be under appreciated is this he is the only guy on our team who is a legitimate threat to drive and get to the rim. Admittedly he sometimes has some difficulty laying it in.

Point is, we need a guy like that on the floor to force defenses to defend the dribble-drive.

Right now the only defense required on his dribble-drive is to foul him, for whatever reason Fore has become a liability at the free throw line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT