ADVERTISEMENT

Gilyard

45% is an increase of 4 basis points over 41%. But if one compares the number of made FTs this period over a similar prior period, the percentage increase would likely be significant.
Depending on terminology it can 45 - 41 = 4 or 45 / 41 does not = 1.04

But why are we arguing this again?

Come on, man. We're UR grads. This isn't rocket science.
(45-41)/41 = 9.8% improvement
or you can say he raised his average by 4 percentage points.

Terminology for relative difference vs. absolute difference can be confusing, leading to arguments. The problem when talking about percentages is that we often describe the relative difference between two things as percentages, which makes distinguishing between the relative and absolute difference between two percentages confusing. To remedy this, the convention is that when you talk about the absolute difference between percentages you use "percentage points" or "basis points". 1 basis point is actually .01%, so going from 41% to 45% would be a (45 - 41) 4 percentage point change, a 400 basis point change, or a ((45-41)/41) 9.8% change, as you said.

Last edited:
If Sales increased from $41M to $45M, you can promote that two ways.

We increased Sales by $4M!

Or

We increased Sales by 9.756%!

The ambiguity comes when what you are measuring is % not $...

That is why I say you need precise terminology...

end of the day ... Trey came to UR a poor shooter and left a poor shooter. and I'm not believing anyone that says he was a good shooter in high school.
he did other good things. shooting was not a strength no matter how much BEEF work was done.

Reactions: ThePhysician
end of the day ... Trey came to UR a poor shooter and left a poor shooter. and I'm not believing anyone that says he was a good shooter in high school.
he did other good things. shooting was not a strength no matter how much BEEF work was done.
Meanwhile I used to say that John Davis & Steve Kratzer had there FT % as their jersey number...

Now up to #6 in the country with 72 steals. Fifth in the country on a per-game basis.

Ranks third in Spider history for a season...needs five to catch Beckwith and 13 to catch Dobbins.

Five regular season games left plus at least one in the A-10 tourney.

And he's a freshman. Both of those other all-time greats were seniors when they put up their numbers.

Now up to #6 in the country with 72 steals. Fifth in the country on a per-game basis.

Ranks third in Spider history for a season...needs five to catch Beckwith and 13 to catch Dobbins.

Five regular season games left plus at least one in the A-10 tourney.

And he's a freshman. Both of those other all-time greats were seniors when they put up their numbers.
Which sets a pace of 89 in 31 games, 356 in 4 years.

Not quite his 11 steals in 19 minutes HS performance, but it will do.

Which sets a pace of 89 in 31 games, 356 in 4 years.

Not quite his 11 steals in 19 minutes HS performance, but it will do.

Understandably tongue and cheek, but just for reference, that pace would make him 4th all-time in steals for Men’s Division 1 Basketball. The kind of freshman year we’re seeing from Gilyard, at least steals wise, is nothing short of amazing.

I think it is funny to think making 45 out of 100 FT is improvement from making 41 ha

Wow, 4th all-time..... And, I assume that projection is based on his 2-4th years being the SAME as his freshman pace.

So, if I am understanding this correctly, if he IMPROVES his steals numbers in the next three years, he will be an all-time STEALS MAGICIAN. I imagine that our opponents may adjust just a bit to try to avoid Jake's steals, but if he improves his skills, and his anticipation, his steals numbers could actually go up. We have ourselves a really good one!

Set the freshman record tonight in reaching 119 assists. Also moved into sole possession of second place for steals in a season (any class) with 81. Needs four more to tie Dobbins' senior season.

Gilyard also became the first freshman in the country since Marcus Smart five years ago to reach 80 steals. (Smart finished with 99 that year.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT