ADVERTISEMENT

Gilyard

Right now the only defense required on his dribble-drive is to foul him, for whatever reason Fore has become a liability at the free throw line.
His FT has always been 58-60% but the last 2 years increased 10% in A10 play. This year a steady 53-55%.

Which is absolutely pitiful for a guard who has played college basketball for 4 years.
True, but I guess I have gotten used to him shooting 57% and haven’t been expecting more. Even if I am hoping for it.

So I meant he hasn’t become a liability...

His FT has always been 58-60% but the last 2 years increased 10% in A10 play. This year a steady 53-55%.
Unfortunately about the same percentage on lay ups. But fortunately he tends to save his
best for the end of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Not-A-Homer
And shot nearly 90% in high school.
So, how in the world did he suddenly become a 50% FT shooter here? Did we try to change his form, is it mental, too much weight lifting?

Khwan is not having a bad year but certainly was expecting him to be an improved player this year and team leader this year. That hasn't really transpired.

So, how in the world did he suddenly become a 50% FT shooter here? Did we try to change his form, is it mental, too much weight lifting?

Khwan is not having a bad year but certainly was expecting him to be an improved player this year and team leader this year. That hasn't really transpired.

OT a bit. Fezz seems to think that certain strength training really messes up shooting form. I am interested in this theory and think there is something to that. It seems that bulking up is not in the best interest of certain players. Has anyone come across any research or studies on this?

Last edited:
OT a bit. Fizz seems to think that certain strength training really messes up shooting form. I am interested in this theory and think there is something to that. It seems that bulking up is not in the best interest of certain players. Has anyone come across any research or studies on this?

Fezz has been saying this for years and it never seemed right to me, it sounds like an old wives tale. If strength training makes shooting worse (free throw shooting in particular?) and our players put on weight and get stronger every year, shouldn't we expect FT% to go down as our players stay in the program longer?

To test this hypothesis I looked at the FT% for every Mooney recruited player in their first year playing under Mooney (where they took at least 30 FT attempts) and their last full year under Mooney. If their FT% increased by more than 3% I marked them down as improving their FT%, if it decreased by more than 3% I marked them down as getting worse, and if it was within ±3% I marked them down as staying the same.

Increased (13/22, 59%):
KF, TJC, TA, ANO, MW, Ced, Brothers, Greg Robbins, Garrett, FCM, Harper, Gonzo, Butler

Same (5/22, 23%):
JJ, DT, K0, DWill, Kevin Smith

Decreased (4/22, 18%):
SDJ, TD, KA, Geroit

Over half of players under Mooney improve their FT% as they train in our program, and most of the players who don't improve at least maintain the same FT%. Fezz's theory is not supported at all by the actual performance of players, at least on our team.

Last edited:

If he really was a 90% free throw shooter in high school (which is doubtful) then there is only 1 thing that could cause him to drop percentage by half. MENTAL STRUGGLES. Some respond less well to pressure. We all know that late, pressure situations OFTEN determine which team wins and which team loses.

This is why I suggested pre-season that it was not a good idea to look to Fore to be "the man" for this team. I believe that he can be far more valuable overall if he is used situationally. Mismatches were he can exploit quickness, and specific circumstances were his defensive ability is emphasized will let him shine. Fore's game screams offense/defense substitution. Don't put him in end-of game situations where he is likely to be fouled.

Reactions: ThePhysician
Fezz has been saying this for years and it never seemed right to me, it sounds like an old wives tale. If strength training makes shooting worse (free throw shooting in particular?) and our players put on weight and get stronger every year, shouldn't we expect FT% to go down as our players stay in the program longer?

To test this hypothesis I looked at the FT% for every Mooney recruited player in their first year playing under Mooney (where they took at least 30 FT attempts) and their last full year under Mooney. If their FT% increased by more than 3% I marked them down as improving their FT%, if it decreased by more than 3% I marked them down as getting worse, and if it was within ±3% I marked them down as staying the same.

Increased (13/22, 59%):
KF, TJC, TA, ANO, MW, Ced, Brothers, Greg Robbins, Garrett, FCM, Harper, Gonzo, Butler

Same (5/22, 23%):

Decreased (4/22, 18%):
SDJ, TD, KA, Geroit

Over half of players under Mooney improve their FT% as they train in our program, and most of the players who don't improve at least maintain the same FT%. Fezz's theory is not supported at all by the actual performance of players, at least on our team.

Interesting. Thanks for looking into it. Perhaps it is more individual confidence / mental thing.

I take any claimed high school stats beyond PPG with a huge grain of salt. Many are based on very incomplete information.

I do remember at the end of the season last year, Kwan seemed to be much more clutch on free throws than at the
beginning of the season. In fact last year in the last month I thought Kwan had improved more than anyone else on the
team. Let's hope that he is mostly over his shin splints and is ready for another surge.

Reactions: RobinsHall98
I agree JG has to be one of the quickest guards I've ever seen. He's got good ball handling and good passing skills, shot etc. The biggest hurdle he's going to face is height. Both in getting his shot over people and when matched up badly on defense. (when he's out front on a zone press it's simply pass over his head) His vertical leap isn't up there with KA either, which makes the pull up jumper more difficult. All that said he's going to be fun to watch.

I agree JG has to be one of the quickest guards I've ever seen. He's got good ball handling and good passing skills, shot etc. The biggest hurdle he's going to face is height. Both in getting his shot over people and when matched up badly on defense. (when he's out front on a zone press it's simply pass over his head) His vertical leap isn't up there with KA either, which makes the pull up jumper more difficult. All that said he's going to be fun to watch.
He will need to come up with the running tear drop like SDJ and Ced.

Reactions: Spiderwiz
Back to coachfezz' s theory, ask Dan Geroit how the weightlifting bulking up worked for him.

Back to coachfezz' s theory, ask Dan Geroit how the weightlifting bulking up worked for him.
I do not have the expertise to dissect the pro's and con's of Coach Fezz' theory, but I do know that the debate has been ongoing for at least 35-years.

Geriot was great his sophomore year, then blew out his knee. Came back and had a pretty good career overall. Not sure this is a good comparison.

Right, I think Geriot was in line for a monster JR year before he hurt his knee. Once he came back he was very good, but think it definitely hindered him. It definitely affected his athleticism, which he could not afford, but still was a very effective player, especially as a senior.

Right, I think Geriot was in line for a monster JR year before he hurt his knee. Once he came back he was very good, but think it definitely hindered him. It definitely affected his athleticism, which he could not afford, but still was a very effective player, especially as a senior.
Maybe he blew out his knee because he did too many bench presses.

Reactions: fan2011
Geriot was great his sophomore year, then blew out his knee. Came back and had a pretty good career overall. Not sure this is a good comparison.
When Geriot came back from his knee injury he was a much bigger player, he clearly had hit the weights during his recovery. Unfortunately for Geriot, this made him a much slower player. Whether that slowness was a result of his knee injury or his bigger build is open for debate, it was probably a combo of both.

Back squats stressing back and knees with poor form . I think not worth for basketball player in college . Split squats I like . I think bench press is waste of training time that should be spending on lateral speed with focus on open hip drop step specific muscles to make a more quick defender instead of I squat I bench press big weight

When Geriot came back from his knee injury he was a much bigger player, he clearly had hit the weights during his recovery. Unfortunately for Geriot, this made him a much slower player. Whether that slowness was a result of his knee injury or his bigger build is open for debate, it was probably a combo of both.

Pretty sure that was the knee, strength training can increase quickness. Sprinters do strength training and are pretty muscular and weigh a decent amount. Usain bolt is 6'5 210, heavier than a lot of basketball players his height or taller. Distance runners are scrawny.

Pretty sure that was the knee, strength training can increase quickness. Sprinters do strength training and are pretty muscular and weigh a decent amount. Usain bolt is 6'5 210, heavier than a lot of basketball players his height or taller. Distance runners are scrawny.

Fair. To challenge the point. Bolt runs in one direction and does not have to jump or use his arms besides pumping.

Increased (13/22, 59%):

Same (5/22, 23%):

Decreased (4/22, 18%):
SDJ, TD, KA, Geroit

I think 3 percent increase with all training in college is not good . I think at least 10 percent improving for all coaching instruction and practice time should be everyone

I think 3 percent increase with all training in college is not good . I think at least 10 percent improving for all coaching instruction and practice time should be everyone

There is not a coach in the world that will improve college players FT% by 10% with any consistency. That is beyond ludicrous.

So maybe it IS BENCHPRESS HA!!! I think you are very serious and everyone needs to enjoy life . 10 percent is improvements , three I think is more within the scientific judging.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
There is not a coach in the world that will improve college players FT% by 10% with any consistency. That is beyond ludicrous.
I would imagine improving from 47% to 57% is a hell of a lot easier than improving from 87% to 97%. No reason on earth Fore should be shooting less than 50% front the line.

I'm sorry, discussions of free throw shooting just drive me crazy, so forgive this post.I have posted on and off about this since the Wainwright days.
Free Throw shooting is Coachable!
If a player can shoot 70% by using their own bad form, then let them go ahead and shoot however they like. Example is Hal Greer of the old Syracuse Nats and Philadelphia 76ers who was a great free throw shooter and who used to shoot jump shots from the free throw line. I used to coach 10-12 year olds and I would tell them if you can make 70% shooting your way, go ahead. But if not you're going to shoot them my way. I would chart their % from the first practice through the middle of our season and every single kid would improve their % by at least 25% shooting the "correct" way. I wouldn't expect the same % from college athletes as 12 year olds, but again there is a correct way to shoot them that will improve your %. If you try this and cannot improve your %, then I question whether you should be on the floor come crunch time. If you don't coach it, it won't improve. Kneepad is exactly right, Fore makes the same mistake almost 100% of the time....that is coachable.
Not going to go into the "correct" form here but some of you know the jist of it is B.E.E.F.
It will not work for a very few because they just cannot shoot from that distance, but for most inconsistent shooters it absolutely does make a difference through repitition. Said my piece, ok if you disagree.

Pretty sure Khwan's FT technique should be a jumper just inside the three-point line.
It would be interesting to see him start at the back of the FT circle and run to the right corner of the lane for a jump shot...

So I tried to look up stats with little success on the new web page but what I found was that Trey Davis when from 41 to 45 % FT from his junior to senior year? is this right bc if it is I cant call that 4% an improvement but who knows.

So I tried to look up stats with little success on the new web page but what I found was that Trey Davis when from 41 to 45 % FT from his junior to senior year? is this right bc if it is I cant call that 4% an improvement but who knows.
His Dad shot 39% from the FT line during his career. So 45% is an improvement.

Back to the subject of Gilyard, I think last night showed the maturity of his game. He shot 0-5 and obviously didn't quite have it like he does on some nights. A lot of guys in his shoes would have forced the issue. Jacob recognized the hot hands (Golden then Sherod) and deferred to them. 42 minutes, zero points and still I'm impressed with him.

if you're really a physician, I'm a little concern about how you did in math. 41 to 45 is actually a 10% increase.

Reactions: regatw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT