ADVERTISEMENT

DLo and Tyne following Dji to the portal (April Fools! I hope anyway)

Tony Bennett should get fired. UVA has become unwatchable. Top talent doesn't want to play the slowest pace in college basketball. They also don't want to sit the bench until their defense is 100% perfect. His system sucks and just doesn't attract enough talent. It's time.

Reactions: KE Spider
I am tending to agree about TB. He is very entrenched in his ways and if you look at his team that won a national championship the talent disparity on his recent teams is HUGE.

But, the good thing is my mom thinks he is really cute and a great coach, so my prank probably has a good 50% chance of working. Especially if I call her soon when she is still waking up :):):)

Tony Bennett should get fired. UVA has become unwatchable. Top talent doesn't want to play the slowest pace in college basketball. They also don't want to sit the bench until their defense is 100% perfect. His system sucks and just doesn't attract enough talent. It's time.

does talent want to be the worst offensive rebounding team in the country and always run back on defense?

It is a little funny u think it's time for Bennett and think he should be fired. 2 s16s, e8, & a national championship in less time as HC than Mooney. Has won at a .728 clip at UVA who was mediocre for roughly 15 years b4 he arrived. But here u think not even a consideration for Mooney, never has been, that he's doing a great job, and probably think we should extend him again.

does talent want to be the worst offensive rebounding team in the country and always run back on defense?

It is a little funny u think it's time for Bennett and think he should be fired. 2 s16s, e8, & a national championship in less time as HC than Mooney. Has won at a .728 clip at UVA who was mediocre for roughly 15 years b4 he arrived. But here u think not even a consideration for Mooney, never has been, that he's doing a great job, and probably think we should extend him again.
It was so nice around here when he disappeared

Reactions: 8legs1dream

Yeah, we are going to need a response to this one paging @VT4700

I can't wait to see the mental gymnastics required to reconcile these disparate viewpoints.

Yeah, we are going to need a response to this one paging @VT4700

I can't wait to see the mental gymnastics required to reconcile these disparate viewpoints.

& he's a self described UVA fan publicly calling for Bennett to be fired. Hmm.

Bennett & his system sucks. Mooney and his system great. Just ignore Bennett has a lot more success and it makes tons of sense.

Thread hibernation mode has been activated.

& he's a self described UVA fan publicly calling for Bennett to be fired. Hmm.

Bennett & his system sucks. Mooney and his system great. Just ignore Bennett has a lot more success and it makes tons of sense.

Thread hibernation mode has been activated.
??? What do you want me to say? Yes, I think Bennett should be fired. They have not won an NCAA tourney game since 2019, losing to Ohio, Furman, and then adding to that with a blowout loss to Col St, scoring 14 points in the 1st half. Not only that, but they are unwatchable. Most boring team out there. The days of Jerome, Guy and Hunter are gone. His system is what it is, his recruiting has dropped off big time and he can't land top transfers because guys do not want to play the slowest pace in college basketball and be at a defense first school. He wants to recruit guys, have them learn his defense for a year or two, and then get good minutes. The game has changed and top talent doesn’t want to do that anymore. Their talent has been down big time lately. So, I see no future big time success for UVA with Bennett as coach.

Maybe you guys do, but I don't compare Richmond to UVA. We are not in the ACC and I don't think we should expect to get top 100 guys like UVA can. So, I don't think it's that crazy to want Mooney here and want Bennett fired there. And, Mooney has won a dance game more recently than Bennett has.

So if his recruiting is so terrible, then I guess that means his coaching is amazing to go 23-11 and make the tourney with such a weak roster?! 🤷🏼‍♂️Weird argument to make.

Plenty to criticize but the man finds a way to win games, no doubt about that.

There is plenty to criticize about Bennett, I don't disagree. But if Mooney was allowed to get 11 years to get back to the NCAAs, I think you give Bennett at least several more to get another win there. He's still finishing in the top 4 of the ACC and making the tourney, at least. Winning a national championship and dominating the ACC for a bunch of years counts for something, doesn't it?

it ain't always pretty. but they are still winning a ton of games. most people care more about wins.
Yes, and no. My guess is a lot of UVA fans do not care as much about regular season wins when they keep losing in the 1st round of the dance every year.

2020: covid ( 234th ranked offense).
2021: lost to Ohio 1st round.
2022: NIT
2023: lost to Furman 1st round.
2024: lost to Col St play in game.

I just don't know many UVA fans that are saying " but we win a lot of regular season games" right now.

There is plenty to criticize about Bennett, I don't disagree. But if Mooney was allowed to get 11 years to get back to the NCAAs, I think you give Bennett at least several more to get another win there. He's still finishing in the top 4 of the ACC and making the tourney, at least. Winning a national championship and dominating the ACC for a bunch of years counts for something, doesn't it?
Yes it does.....and it's why I gave Bennett the benefit of the doubt for a couple years post title when he was rolling out non ACC player after player and trying to win with them. But, it has been 5 years now and they flat out stunk this year. I know he won a lot of games, but they also had 7 losses by 19 or more and 10 losses by 10 or more, scoring in the 40s numerous times. 40s!!!! Recruits aren't coming to help and they don't get top portal help. Nothing will change, so if you are happy with a repeat of last year, sure, keep him.

??? What do you want me to say? Yes, I think Bennett should be fired. They have not won an NCAA tourney game since 2019, losing to Ohio, Furman, and then adding to that with a blowout loss to Col St, scoring 14 points in the 1st half. Not only that, but they are unwatchable. Most boring team out there. The days of Jerome, Guy and Hunter are gone. His system is what it is, his recruiting has dropped off big time and he can't land top transfers because guys do not want to play the slowest pace in college basketball and be at a defense first school. He wants to recruit guys, have them learn his defense for a year or two, and then get good minutes. The game has changed and top talent doesn’t want to do that anymore. Their talent has been down big time lately. So, I see no future big time success for UVA with Bennett as coach.

Maybe you guys do, but I don't compare Richmond to UVA. We are not in the ACC and I don't think we should expect to get top 100 guys like UVA can. So, I don't think it's that crazy to want Mooney here and want Bennett fired there. And, Mooney has won a dance game more recently than Bennett has.

I don't care if u want Bennett to be fired, it's just really hilarious coming from u

It is easier to go to NCAAs at UVA than UR but his relative success is still a lot higher. Bennett does it consisently. in the acc with 2 all time blue bloods to compete against. won a natty. Mooney had a 11 year ncaa drought, is 9-25 vs VCU, and has 3 NCAA years going into year 20 and u think he's incredible.

U get upset when ppl desire change and tell them to go find a new team. Even tho u r a self described uva fan who spent all his time on the VT boards b4 u knew this one existed. A UR grad, a UVA fan, a VT poster. I get why u love Mooney, u r both unicorns!

Our system is dead last in O rebounding and runs straight back on D who likes that.

I don't care if u want Bennett to be fired, it's just really hilarious coming from u

It is easier to go to NCAAs at UVA than UR but his relative success is still a lot higher. Bennett does it consisently. in the acc with 2 all time blue bloods to compete against. won a natty. Mooney had a 11 year ncaa drought, is 9-25 vs VCU, and has 3 NCAA years going into year 20 and u think he's incredible.

U get upset when ppl desire change and tell them to go find a new team. Even tho u r a self described uva fan who spent all his time on the VT boards b4 u knew this one existed. A UR grad, a UVA fan, a VT poster. I get why u love Mooney, u r both unicorns!

Our system is dead last in O rebounding and runs straight back on D who likes that.
Why do you always get so angry and bring up VT board and care so much about my past.....as if you know enough about me to even comment???? And, what's funny is you say you don't care if I want Bennett fired, but won't stop getting on me for MY OPINION about it. It's a little scary why you would worry so much about my past. A little psycho really.

So if his recruiting is so terrible, then I guess that means his coaching is amazing to go 23-11 and make the tourney with such a weak roster?! 🤷🏼‍♂️Weird argument to make.

Plenty to criticize but the man finds a way to win games, no doubt about that.
Yes, it was a very weak, flawed roster. You will not get any UVA fan to disagree with that. Also, it's amazing to win 23 games with that roster. Bennett might have been the only coach who could have done that. His defense and winning games in the 40s and 50s made it possible. But, all year long I was saying there was no hope for any tourney noise this year. None. The offense was just too awful and the roster filled with too many non ACC players. And was proven right.

Why do you always get so angry and bring up VT board and care so much about my past.....as if you know enough about me to even comment???? And, what's funny is you say you don't care if I want Bennett fired, but won't stop getting on me for MY OPINION about it. It's a little scary why you would worry so much about my past. A little psycho really.

how is that angry it's funny & it remains funny. & I won't stop getting on u about Bennett? It just happened. I've made 2 posts. a guy that defends Mooney with his resume wants Bennett fired. lmao.

Yes, and no. My guess is a lot of UVA fans do not care as much about regular season wins when they keep losing in the 1st round of the dance every year.

2020: covid ( 234th ranked offense).
2021: lost to Ohio 1st round.
2022: NIT
2023: lost to Furman 1st round.
2024: lost to Col St play in game.

I just don't know many UVA fans that are saying " but we win a lot of regular season games" right now.
And what happened in 2019. Oh yeah Bennett won a Natty at UVA. Also, they have made the NCAA 9 of the past 10 years. Prior to Bennett's arrival, they made the NCAA 2 of the previous 12 years.

Dude has transformed that program from an also ran ACC program to a perennial top 3 ACC school, which is pretty notable because the ACC has Duke and UNC in it.

And yet, you love Mooney and his decade long absence from the NCAA and 3 NCAA in 18 years record here. I guess that is why we are scratching our heads.

I would cut of my left nut to have TB here instead of Mooney.

And what happened in 2019. Oh yeah Bennett won a Natty at UVA. Also, they have made the NCAA 9 of the past 10 years. Prior to Bennett's arrival, they made the NCAA 2 of the previous 12 years.

Dude has transformed that program from an also ran ACC program to a perennial top 3 ACC school, which is pretty notable because the ACC has Duke and UNC in it.

And yet, you love Mooney and his decade long absence from the NCAA and 3 NCAA in 18 years record here. I guess that is why we are scratching our heads.

I would cut of my left nut to have TB here instead of Mooney.

Yep. & I would like this post except for the last sentence.

I feel like the Bennett/Mooney discussion shows the two camps on how different P6 vs everyone else is.

One side thinks it is more different than it is, the other less than it is…

Reactions: VT4700
I feel like the Bennett/Mooney discussion shows the two camps on how different P6 vs everyone else is.

One side thinks it is more different than it is, the other less than it is…

Not really. I think ppl get there is relative success with levels. But Bennett kills it relative to ACC, where there are two all-time blue bloods, versus what Mooney does in A10. Look at finishes in their own leagues and VT4700 is going to tell us Bennett should be fired and Mooney is doing an awesome job? My goodness that is crazy talk. And yes there were ties on both sides I didn't mess with tiebreakers.

Tony Bennett ACC finishes last 13 years:

Chris Mooney A10 finishes last 13 years:

Bennett made NCAA every year but 2. Mooney has missed NCAA every year but 1.

Fire Bennett! Extend Mooney!

I disagree. He's not a troll, he has a different viewpoint than most people here and is not shy about expressing it. But I don't think you can question that he cares about Richmond basketball.

Whether he's trolling spiderdad? That might be a different question...

Reactions: UR80sfan and urfan1
Bennett's average finish: 2.4th.

Mooney's average finish: 7.3rd
I don't think a lot of UVA fans care much about average conference finish and they certainly are not comparing their program to a non power program. And, they probably don't care about what happened 13 years ago. Many are very very frustrated. Of course, they loved the national title, and I think they should put a Tony Bennett statue up, but no way can anyone try to tell me the last 5 years with 0 dance wins has been good just because of some high ACC finishes. And, no way can anyone try to tell me the talent they are putting out there now comes close to the Jerome, Guy, Hunter years, or the Brogdon, Joe Harris, Justin Anderson years before that. The game has changed, but Bennett's system has stayed the same. Highly talented guys are not gonna go there anymore and just wait their turn while they learn his defense, and play the slowest pace in college basketball in a defense first system. DeAndre Hunter redshirted for crying out loud. Good luck having that happen again.

Last edited:
Oops. Didn't intend to like that. Quite the opposite. I'd take Bennett's accomplishments and record over Mooney's any day. Who wouldn't?

Bennett sucks fire Bennett!

Mooney is awesome extend Mooney!

U always extend the worst rivalry coach of all time no questions asked and fire the guy who finishes 1st in the ACC too much.

Tony Bennett has a 73% winning percentage in a MUCH tougher ACC at UVA
Mooney has a a 56% winning percentage in a MUCH weaker A10 at UR
Fire Bennett, Extend Mooney!

In the past 13 seasons Tony Bennett has gotten his team in the NCAA's ten times.
In the past 13 seasons Mooney has gotten his team in the NCAA's one time.

Tony Bennett has won the MUCH tougher ACC regular season championship 6 times.
Mooney has won the MUCH weaker A10 regular season championship 1 time.
(Please reference GK's list above)

Tony Bennett has had UVA ranked 167 total weeks during his time there.
Mooney has had UR ranked 5 total weeks during his time here.

Tony Bennett has a 19-10 record against his biggest rival VT (also a respectable record against UNC/Duke).
Mooney has 9-25...enough said.

Tony Bennett has one of these really neat things called a national championship.
Mooney watched a national championship game on TV once.

can't believe we're arguing this. next topic, pick your side on whether or not the sky is blue.

can't believe we're arguing this. next topic, pick your side on whether or not the sky is blue.

That’s exactly the point & what the rest of us think too…can’t believe someone can be so pro Mooney/extend Mooney all these years with his performance & then be adamantly fire Bennett with his.

Also the sky is decidedly gray where I’m at. Rain for days.

“And, they [UR fans] probably don't care about what happened 13 years ago. Many are very very frustrated. Of course, they loved the national title [beating Iowa in NCAAs], and I think they should put a Tony Bennett [Chris Mooney] statue up, but no way can anyone try to tell me the last 5 [13] years with 0 [1] dance wins has been good just because of some [two] high ACC [A10] finishes.”

Bracket insertions mine to highlight how applicable the UVa argument is to UR, except the complete opposite is being argued. Arguing the two sides of this is really a way out there choice.

To pick a hill to die on is not the above argument about past results. It’s that Bennett sucks at the portal and Moon is good. I can at least understand that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT