ADVERTISEMENT

Dji entering the portal

Now he’s in line for a 10-year extension!
All thanks to Tony Bennett for not fouling when he had fouls to give ( they had 3 fouls to give!!!!!!!) and for not putting anyone on the FT line when they missed the FT, both of which would have made it near impossible for State to get any kind of look to tie. Instead, he just let State get the rebound, throw a clean outlet pass, dribble to the 3 point line and shoot it. Maybe the worst coaching decision I have ever seen. I honestly think 361 out of 362 coaches would have played that way differently and State never would have won.

Yeah that was nuts. Bennett is a great coach but their postseason outcomes have been very uneven.

yeah, it was the ncaa's staunch adherence to antiquated ideas that led to the current situation. Classic greed and myopia. Didn't they make a video game and one of the players in it was "O'Bannon" playing for UCLA - but claimed it wasn't him or some garbage? (at the least weren't willing to cut him or anyone else in on it.)

Meanwhile they sold their tv rights for about a billion plus dollars less than what it was worth, just to idiotically lock in a long-term extension when they held all the bargaining power and had plenty of time left on their contract. I have zero sympathy for the organization. Bunch of buffoons.

More worrisome to hoops programs like UR - much more so than transfers and pay-for-play - is the SEC and consolidation of football interests, and how that affects basketball. Again, greed and myopia, same issues. Who would have seen the Pac10 setting fire to itself like it did?

The only reason the NFL is what it is, is because the Maras and the Rooneys pushed through revenue sharing. Universities seem oblivious to this example.

Good luck to Dji. All the local sports casters believe he would be best served to stay at UR. They agree has a unique game that Mooney has utilized. They are unsure his game would fit bigger programs.

As a general proposition, A Dad on a message board is difficult and dicey. I think some of us on this board played college sports, have or had college athlete sons, and Stay far away from this stuff. SDAD is a lot tougher than Us.

Good luck but I hope you all change your mind and remain a spider. I agree with the pundits the DJI is in the right place, the grass is always greener, pardon the cliche.
I sort of disagree. While I think he could be successful at UR, probably put up similar numbers as he did this past year - which were very good for him, I also think he can have success elsewhere. It is all about the kid and what they are looking for.

Is DJi looking to get to NCAA tourney next year? Then maybe better served elsewhere as a reserve on a P6 team playing 10-15 minutes a night. Is he looking to improve his stats and numbers for a potential pro career - then maybe he moves down to another mid-major and becomes their 1st-2nd option. All depends on the player and thier goals for that 1 year.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
It’s a shame what NIL has done to college basketball. Just a shame.
I may be in the minority here but despite all the complaints to the contrary, NIL hasn't hurt the game at all in my opinion.

we lost Tyler, yet I enjoyed this season (until the last week) as much as any other season and more than most.
we probably lose Dji, yet I'll still look forward to next season.
the March Madness tournament has been fun. NIL hasn't affected it at all to me.

maybe it forces coaches to try a little to keep players. instead of just being dictators with all the power. I don't mind that.

I don't even blame NIL for either of our transfers. both graduated. Tyler had an oppotunity to play at Villanova. who knows where Dji may play. it's not like either left early after one good season like at some schools.

Is there a tweet or something that discusses Dji's options? I know sdad mentioned something about a statement that he was considering returning, I don't see that nor do I see anything about schools that have reached out.
He ended up not tweeting he just posted on Instagram bc that’s where he’s mostly active. We are keeping things quiet right now. I can say the portal is wild and a lot of teams are relentless and also the dead pd is 4-11.

He ended up not tweeting he just posted on Instagram bc that’s where he’s mostly active. We are keeping things quiet right now. I can say the portal is wild and a lot of teams are relentless and also the dead pd is 4-11.
If you are game, once it all calms down and Dji has his destination, I'd be really, really interested to hear anecdotally how the process works in reality. Don't really need specific names or schools (unless you want to share!) -- but definitely curious about it. Might fill in some knowledge gaps or clear up misconceptions on here also.

If you are game, once it all calms down and Dji has his destination, I'd be really, really interested to hear anecdotally how the process works in reality. Don't really need specific names or schools (unless you want to share!) -- but definitely curious about it. Might fill in some knowledge gaps or clear up misconceptions on here also.
I think I could prob do that

Yeah…Wake is not an option for us. We def have some bigger options than them, but we will see how it shakes out.
Need to say this, know you know this, but bigger is not always better.

Unless you are talking NIL deals than bigger is better and if that what Dji is after, I am not going to be begrudge him wanting to hit a big pay day. Many of us would hit that payday if given the chance.

Also someone said NC State, no idea if that is an option but do think Dji fits their mold of a player pretty well. His game is very similar to Casey Morell's in my opinion. Morell is graduating, I do believe.

Wake has gone 34-26 in the ACC the last 3 years. Their NET was 43. Bigger options than them? I guess he is talking Duke or UNC?

Ok, so we're down to 9 possibilities:

1. Houston
2. UConn
3. Purdue
4. Arizona
5. Auburn
6. Iowa State
7. Tennessee
9. Alabama
11. Creighton

I'm guessing Creighton is one just because "top 11" seemed so specific. :)

1. Houston
2. UConn
3. Purdue
4. Arizona
5. Auburn
6. Iowa State
7. Tennessee
9. Alabama
11. Creighton

Zip It Shut Your Mouth GIF by Apple TV+

There are a few more bigger schools going down to 35, some big schools who didn’t have a good season and some smaller schools or lateral move schools that are interested. But why make a lateral move or go down? We are still a ways away bc of the dead period coming up 4-11th

1. Houston
2. UConn
3. Purdue
4. Arizona
5. Auburn
6. Iowa State
7. Tennessee
9. Alabama
11. Creighton

I'm going to add Auburn as the other guess, as he said some recruiters are relentless. Sounds like a Bruce Pearl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT