ADVERTISEMENT

Dji entering the portal

Hi
Guys don’t let certain posters tell you what “they think they know” as opposed to what they actually know. No one was in on the meeting with Dji and coach. They have a great relationship. No one on here knows what Dji is looking for or the convo he had with coach. Certain posters have crapped on my guy since day 1, but this season they disappeared, he doesn’t shoot it good enough, he ain’t getting over 10 min, he turns it over too much, he didn’t play bc he wasn’t good enough NOT bc he was injured a ton, and now it’s who would pay a lot of money for him? Just so we are clear money isn’t and wasn’t the motivating factor but you would be surprised at the money that is out there. So until this know it all goes through the process of having a kid be recruited …it’s probably wise to just be quite. Speculation is something we all do…but some on here couldn’t more wrong. We will always be Spiders and Dji loves the coaches and his brothers.
All I know is having players leave was not much of an issue until money entered the equation. The loyalty among players was Mooney's strongest asset by far.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
Hi

All I know is having players leave was not much of an issue until money entered the equation. The loyalty among players was Mooney's strongest asset by far.
Burton and Bailey both graduated. they gave Mooney 4 years. they were loyal. don't owe any more.

guys like Smith, Nelson, Dread, Randolph, Wilson, etc ... weren't leaving for money.

Burton and Bailey both graduated. they gave Mooney 4 years. they were loyal. don't owe any more.

guys like Smith, Nelson, Dread, Randolph, Wilson, etc ... weren't leaving for money.
Thank you. All transfers are not the same. Opportunity is what most want. I doubt St Peters has NIL worth a damn, 2 years ago Holloway talked about their overall basketball budget and how tiny it was. Randolph is not transferring to get paid but to play ball - he got that opportunity best in that league.

No one should stay loyal to a system that is designed to bypass 1/3 of its members regularly. Find a better opportunity and take it. Don’t sit on the bench and accept that they recruited over you.

Very Very difficult decision…but Richmond is still an option, the tweet didn’t mention that but Dji will when he tweets . My hope is that if he decides to not return that he will be a forever loved player here. He loves UR as do we and the most important thing is he is graduating with a RICHMOND Degree 🕷️🏀
I love Dji and you, SpiderDad. As I said in previous posts, I would have loved to know you in person.

Frankly, though, if Dji comes back, it is not the same. He is not loyal and instead would be coming back only if he can't find something "better" or if we can match dollars. I don't see any loyalty or Spider pride in that. In fact, it would feel even worse than just accepting the degree and moving on.

I love Dji and you, SpiderDad. As I said in previous posts, I would have loved to know you in person.

Frankly, though, if Dji comes back, it is not the same. He is not loyal and instead would be coming back only if he can't find something "better" or if we can match dollars. I don't see any loyalty or Spider pride in that. In fact, it would feel even worse than just accepting the degree and moving on.
I wholeheartedly disagree. This sounds like a jilted lover.

It seems like some here are treating this as if your wife announced she’s looking for a better man but if she doesn’t find one she’ll come back to you.

Also, question here. Does it make a UR grad not a Spider if they choose to get a graduate degree at another school?

Dji was recruited to play 4 years of basketball UR. He fulfilled that obligation, and might I remind you at a great physical toll given the surgeries he has endured. Saying he is obligated to stay for another year otherwise he’s disloyal is starting to creep into indentured servitude territory.

It seems like some here are treating this as if your wife announced she’s looking for a better man but if she doesn’t find one she’ll come back to you.
Not far off. My pride for the Spiders is intense. It's loyalty. It's family. If you decide to leave, it is like saying I'm looking for something better, but I'll take you if I have to.

Saying he is obligated to stay for another year otherwise he’s disloyal is starting to creep into indentured servitude territory.
No, he is not obligated to stay, but if he leaves (or says he wants to leave if he can), he is not loyal to the Spiders. I don't know how he and his Dad can say they love Richmond if they want to leave.

Reactions: Dr. Spidey
My thought is this: Liked watching Dji play, was fun to see him have a good senior year after a struggle with injuries and getting time the first three. I am assuming he is gone. I will be interested to see where he lands and track him at his new spot. Wishing him the best. But I have already moved on, with the hope we replace him with someone just as good, if not even better.

I will be checking in on the message board where he lands just to keep an eye on his dad :):):):)

You’re allowed to leave*.

*but if you leave you’re wrong and I hate you

I can understand where you’re coming from but I think it’s an awful selfish viewpoint to put what you want as a fan as more important than the career of the players. You can be as high and mighty as you want, but I don’t think you understand how much dedication and determination you have to have to be an athlete and a student at Richmond.

I was friends with kids on the golf and cross country teams. They had to work their ass off to combine sports with academics. I can’t imagine how much harder it is having additional scrutiny being a basketball player at Richmond.

You’re allowed to leave*.

*but if you leave you’re wrong and I hate you

I can understand where you’re coming from but I think it’s an awful selfish viewpoint to put what you want as a fan as more important than the career of the players. You can be as high and mighty as you want, but I don’t think you understand how much dedication and determination you have to have to be an athlete and a student at Richmond.

I was friends with kids on the golf and cross country teams. They had to work their ass off to combine sports with academics. I can’t imagine how much harder it is having additional scrutiny being a basketball player at Richmond.
Oh, and it will be so much easier at another school. Not buying it...

He is picking another school because he doesn't have that much pride in/love for Richmond or he is saying we're not good enough. Loyalty is lost either way.

My thought is this: Liked watching Dji play, was fun to see him have a good senior year after a struggle with injuries and getting time the first three. I am assuming he is gone. I will be interested to see where he lands and track him at his new spot. Wishing him the best. But I have already moved on, with the hope we replace him with someone just as good, if not even better.

I will be checking in on the message board where he lands just to keep an eye on his dad :):):):)
My guess is another message board will not come close to accepting SDad's comments as much as this board did. I think just because I was the one that called him out for stuff and questioned some things he said made it easy for people on here to rally around Sdad because they hate me so much. It did not matter what Sdad said and how he said it. He could do no wrong here. He might want to be careful praising Dji so much ( "they didn't score any on Dji") or "Dji played great, but didn't have enough help". What the heck man? What parent says that???) while putting other players down and whining about playing time on another board. That might not go as well for him.

Last edited:

He is picking another school because he doesn't have that much pride in/love for Richmond or he is saying we're not good enough. Loyalty is lost either way.
So if a history major at UR who scored great on the LSATs gets into Harvard Law and decides to go there versus our law school, are they not loyal either? I don't see what the difference is.

We definitely are "kid gloves" on this board with players compared to other boards. If I had a nickel for every time I saw someone on the SDSU board that was slamming Lamont Butler, I would be a lot better looking. To steal some other folks analogy LOL.
you mean you aren’t getting babes left and right with that profile pic? Now that’s surprising lol

• Haha
Reactions: spider23

Sort of a weird take. Loyalty isn’t by necessity broken by people moving on. Life and situations change. Would you cast a soldier who had fulfilled his commitment to the Army as unloyal for moving on after his time was up? I doubt it.

Maybe rethink how you view this and perhaps you’ll feel a bit better about it.

My guess is another message board will not come close to accepting SDad's comments as much as this board did. I think just because I was the one that called him out for stuff and questioned some things he said made it easy for people on here to rally around Sdad because they hate me so much. It did not matter what Sdad said and how he said it. He could do no wrong here. He might want to be careful praising Dji so much ( "they didn't score any on Dji") or "Dji played great, but didn't have enough help". What the heck man? What parent says that???) while putting other players down and whining about playing time on another board. That might not go as well for him.

You can choose to accept this or not from a relatively neutral observer. There have been times where I thought you were over the top, and times where I thought Sdad was over the top, and times where others' defense of Sdad was over the top. But I frankly don't think you can post something like this and then claim the victim card. You are the one perpetuating it at this point. My advice is to let the poor beaten horse die and move on to other stuff.

We definitely are "kid gloves" on this board with players compared to other boards. If I had a nickel for every time I saw someone on the SDSU board that was slamming Lamont Butler, I would be a lot better looking. To steal some other folks analogy LOL.

Well well well how the turntables…

There was imo a lot of glazing on this board with sdad75. Even by the admins. Btw I learned that term this year & overuse it now. To get 4700s back only a little bc we battle on plenty of subjects but objectively and I do my best to look at things objectively tho not always successfully, but he’s right on some things said here. Besides 4700 I was probably next in the crosshairs but for me it was just about sdad and never dji. so maybe that’s biggest difference. It’s a more delicate line as a player parent. & I came to like the Giselle! If only for the great reference. Wish them both well. Seem like great people. maybe they’ll be back or maybe we’ll be tracking Dji’s NIT prospects like TB.

Reactions: VT4700
I'm just from the old era. I believe in loyalty. A college career is a short-term commitment. Show some pride in your school and stay loyal. People used to say loyal to a company too, but that's no longer the case. That is way different to me, though, because it is generally about money. College sports becoming about money, too, is a direct hit on loyalty, which used to be one of the best parts of it.

I want to see the guys on the court playing for their school because they love their school. Now I have no idea whether they actually like Richmond or not. This is a huge hit on the pride I feel.

I wouldn't recommend most parents of players even visit not less post on this board. But Sdad was able to thread that needle. Did we treat Dji differently on the board, maybe a bit, but it was because Sdad personalized him a bit to us, his struggles and his successes. So, yeah, I suppose I know a bit more about Dji and who he is because his dad was a poster on here and maybe I was rooting for him a bit more. He gave us some insights and intel on the team as well, not too much that it compromised his son or anyone of the team but insights only a parent could give and for that I appreciated him even more.

Again, I wouldn't advice that for most parents, I remember Terry Allen's mom came on here when he was playing to chastise someone, that didn't go over well.

You can choose to accept this or not from a relatively neutral observer. There have been times where I thought you were over the top, and times where I thought Sdad was over the top, and times where others' defense of Sdad was over the top. But I frankly don't think you can post something like this and then claim the victim card. You are the one perpetuating it at this point. My advice is to let the poor beaten horse die and move on to other stuff.
I hear you and all fair comments. I let a lot go and mentioned a few days ago I was tired of letting it go. So, I wanted to say some things I maybe wanted to say earlier. I'm not trying to play the victim card. If I were worried about being a victim, I would just agree with everyone to avoid that. But, I believe in sharing honest opinions. Anyway, I understand your point, can respect what you said, and will try to do better and not comment so much about this.

I'm just from the old era. I believe in loyalty. A college career is a short-term commitment. Show some pride in your school and stay loyal. People used to say loyal to a company too, but that's no longer the case. That is way different to me, though, because it is generally about money. College sports becoming about money, too, is a direct hit on loyalty, which used to be one of the best parts of it.

I want to see the guys on the court playing for their school because they love their school. Now I have no idea whether they actually like Richmond or not. This is a huge hit on the pride I feel.
Professional sports careers are short-term commitments too--this is incredibly myopic and not reflective of the current landscape. The fact is, it's always been "pay for play" in some regard at all levels (hello, Michigan's Fab 5, Reggie Bush + USC, etc.).

It's just now out in the open, approved, and a bargaining chip for the players to get their personal branding + NIL out there and secure a well-earned (albeit FRACTION) chunk of change of what revenue they helped generate by their play on the court, field, etc. The bulk of it is tied to media rights, but sharing that with schools and players is the new normal.

Do you begrudge NFL players leaving their rookie teams when a new deal comes up? Similar vibes here. They could have loved their rookie team fans, city, etc. but ultimately, they have to do what is best for them at that time. Same for college athletes--who gave their blood, sweat, and tears, plus brains!--for four years at one place and have a bonus year/victory lap to take where they want and how they want. Loving your undergrad and wanting a change for post-grad is not disloyal, it's a natural part of life.

what kind of parent supports their kid and sticks up for them, I mean who the hell does that seriously?!?

Professional sports careers are short-term commitments too--this is incredibly myopic and not reflective of the current landscape. The fact is, it's always been "pay for play" in some regard at all levels (hello, Michigan's Fab 5, Reggie Bush + USC, etc.).

It's just now out in the open, approved, and a bargaining chip for the players to get their personal branding + NIL out there and secure a well-earned (albeit FRACTION) chunk of change of what revenue they helped generate by their play on the court, field, etc. The bulk of it is tied to media rights, but sharing that with schools and players is the new normal.

Do you begrudge NFL players leaving their rookie teams when a new deal comes up? Similar vibes here. They could have loved their rookie team fans, city, etc. but ultimately, they have to do what is best for them at that time. Same for college athletes--who gave their blood, sweat, and tears, plus brains!--for four years at one place and have a bonus year/victory lap to take where they want and how they want. Loving your undergrad and wanting a change for post-grad is not disloyal, it's a natural part of life.
It's hard for me to relate to the NFL example. Mainly because while I have a team I support, I have no personal attachment - so it means very very little in comparison. My school is a choice I made which I feel extreme loyalty towards. It is family to me. Now that it is a business only, it has lost nearly all its joy. I am the closest I've ever been to giving up the biggest passion in my life. It just has little meaning now with money as the driving force and complete lack of loyalty at play. I was really hoping beyond hope that Mooney's strongest asset of creating a family culture around his team would somehow outweigh money. That was pretty naive I know, but it was the only hope I had left.

what kind of parent supports their kid and sticks up for them, I mean who the hell does that seriously?!?
I mean what type of parent does this??? Support your own, brag a little when he’s successful, but then we have those who….prob the type to get an autograph, get a photo then can tell you all about your own child and the only thing they know about them is they play for Richmond….but but but let me tell you you’re wrong about your own son 😂😂😂 the comedy. Maybe basketball isn’t their sport…I suggest pickleball.

As far as the loyalty thing…it’s a little crazy to say we are disloyal, but I know everyone on here if you could reach some goals that weren’t reached and if you had opportunity for a “raise” NO ONE on here would ever do that…to be clear again, it’s not all about money that’s just a nice byproduct of it. What do most players want to do in college basketball, what dreams to most college basketball players have after college? Dji had a rough few years…mostly injuries, but if you listen to the town cryer he wasn’t that injured 🙄 If we weren’t loyal we would have left after Soph year bc we were frustrated bc of “loyalty” mainly bc of “Covid” players returning…but we didn’t. Dji gave everything to UR and whether he comes back or not he will always be a 🕷️ and we are all proud of that.

I mean what type of parent does this??? Support your own, brag a little when he’s successful, but then we have those who….prob the type to get an autograph, get a photo then can tell you all about your own child and the only thing they know about them is they play for Richmond….but but but let me tell you you’re wrong about your own son 😂😂😂 the comedy. Maybe basketball isn’t their sport…I suggest pickleball.

As far as the loyalty thing…it’s a little crazy to say we are disloyal, but I know everyone on here if you could reach some goals that weren’t reached and if you had opportunity for a “raise” NO ONE on here would ever do that…to be clear again, it’s not all about money that’s just a nice byproduct of it. What do most players want to do in college basketball, what dreams to most college basketball players have after college? Dji had a rough few years…mostly injuries, but if you listen to the town cryer he wasn’t that injured 🙄 If we weren’t loyal we would have left after Soph year bc we were frustrated bc of “loyalty” mainly bc of “Covid” players returning…but we didn’t. Dji gave everything to UR and whether he comes back or not he will always be a 🕷️ and we are all proud of that.
Lots of schools out there that would love to have him.

This is what I don't understand. If you gave everything to UR, how could you walk away when there's more to give? If I had the kind of talent to be a D1 basketball player combined with the pride I feel for MY school, the thought would not even cross my mind to leave. The love of MY school far outweighs anything else. If you say you guys still have pride, I guess that means there are different levels of pride, but it certainly isn't the level of pride I feel. Certainly way less than 100%.

No, he is not obligated to stay, but if he leaves (or says he wants to leave if he can), he is not loyal to the Spiders. I don't know how he and his Dad can say they love Richmond if they want to leave.
Cmon now....this is a different time than most of us can understand. I am an 80s/90s spider and the portal disgusts me, but...it is the way things are today....dji will get his UR degree and will chase the NIL $$...I don't love it but that's where we r....dji overcame obstacles and represented our school well...if he ends up leaving, shame on u all for casting shade on him....given the circumstances and the situation (modern times) u would all do the same thing....if u deny it, ur out of touch.

Cmon now....this is a different time than most of us can understand. I am an 80s/90s spider and the portal disgusts me, but...it is the way things are today....dji will get his UR degree and will chase the NIL $$...I don't love it but that's where we r....dji overcame obstacles and represented our school well...if he ends up leaving, shame on u all for casting shade on him....given the circumstances and the situation (modern times) u would all do the same thing....if u deny it, ur out of touch.
If Dji goes to a good school in a good conference he is a shoo in to dance next year, and there is nothing wrong with that.
His chances of getting in the dance at a P6 are far greater than they are here.

Exactly. Let the guy have some peace, & let him pursue his aspirations and dreams. He's given us 4 good years, proved his loyalty during that time frame, and will get or has a UR degree. How much more does he need to do? He has to live for himself & his family and do what is best in their eyes. It's really not as complicated as some would want to make it out to be. I think challenging someone's loyalty is a dangerous path to walk. We all walk in our own shoes & should be a little more concerned with ourselves than passing judgement on others and their life pursuits.

I just would like to think someone wearing a Spider uniform supporting their school would have pride in it. It appears I'm the only one who feels that way.

I'm sure he did, does and will even after he gets to his next school. I get your sentiment. It would be really tough to leave a place like UR and go somewhere else. It is a huge part of me too and something that defines who I am.

But if kids can advance their chances of playing professionally, improve their odds of making another NCAA appearances AND get six figures for a year AFTER fulfilling their commitment to us, it's hard to blame the ones who do that. It sucks for us, a lot. But all we can really do is thank them and wish them well.

I'm sure he did, does and will even after he gets to his next school. I get your sentiment. It would be really tough to leave a place like UR and go somewhere else. It is a huge part of me too and something that defines who I am.

But if kids can advance their chances of playing professionally, improve their odds of making another NCAA appearances AND get six figures for a year AFTER fulfilling their commitment to us, it's hard to blame the ones who do that. It sucks for us, a lot. But all we can really do is thank them and wish them well.
Thanks 8Legger, but I can't believe how close I am to giving it all up. It's not really worth my energy if the players don't have the same level of pride.

To follow this to its inevitable point, what do we all think the unrealized goals are that are why Dji is leaving?

I’ll take a stab: leading a team to a run in the ncaas. He wasn’t part of the NCAA team postseason rotation and subsequent 2 years yielded no NCAA. Now 3 starters and a lot of scoring leave.

We need to be there more consistently to keep guys coming back. If we are now losing major contributors who have eligibility left because of the lack of ncaa appearances (as opposed to NIL $$$) where are we as a program?

It’s a highly concerning statement to me.

The program’s goals (and that of billboard fans on both sides) have to be aligned that we need consistent bids as goals 1,2,3,4 and 5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT