ADVERTISEMENT

Davidson game

Coach I think made great decisions and strategy tonight. I think he makes the changes that make the difference . Very very good I think. and also liking the new style he wears to win .

Reactions: spiders13
Good win by the Spiders. We caught Davidson at a good time, 3 games in 4 days in Hawaii, then trip home, they looked tired. But hey a good effort by the Spiders and a win is a win
Fordham didn't look to good against VCU, so we could be 2-0 to start conferenece play.

Agreed, he has talent, just doesn't know how to use it yet
As long as he keeps working hard, cayo is going to be fine. Sadly we've had a lot of guys with decent talent but they leveled off never becoming what they could have been. Our recruits need to be gym rats, working, working, working.

As long as he keeps working hard, cayo is going to be fine. Sadly we've had a lot of guys with decent talent but they leveled off never becoming what they could have been. Our recruits need to be gym rats, working, working, working.
Stayed for awhile after the game. Was impressed that Jacob Gilyard came back out on the court to practice shooting. While I was there he systematically shot more than 100 shots. This team will continue to improve.

Reactions: MerrySpider
A couple thoughts and observations.

1. Nick had a helluva game. He can score like this every game, hopefully this gives him the confidence to be a bigger part of our offense. You ain't out there for defense Nick, so we need you to score.
2. Our bench scored 4 points. I will say again and again, our talent is not what many of you (even the Mooney detractors say it is). We have 5 A-10 players and then nothing. The bench production tells you that again and again.
3. If we are singling out 1 missed lay-up where he was fouled as evidence of Cayo's ability, that is some straw grasping. He is playing better but lets see him actually make some plays before trying to prove a point.
4. Buck and Khwan continue to struggle big time. I think both are trying too hard to be the man, it will be interesting to see if they can adjust and let the game come to them more.
5. Davidson played poorly, yes some of that was us and our defense, but as was pointed out they missed some wide open shots. This is a team that was in Hawaii over Christmas playing games while we rested and prepared.
6. We are still taking way too many 3's. We are a bad 3 point shooting team, so yeah, they are wide open some times, that still does not make them good shots for us. Need to work out offense and try to drive or pound the ball inside, we are much better when we do that.

A win is a win though and this was probably our best win of the season thus far. Happy for our guys because you know they are busting their guts out. Still 3-10 and that remains a pill too tough to swallow.

Our Spiders won a game against Davidson, that save for Ulla, few on this board thought we would win. Some said that MacKillop would outcoach our coach and Aldridge would score 30 points to dominate us. Well guess what, we held our own on the boards, our defense was responsible for the tough shots Davidson was forced to take, and our coach had a better plan than Davidson's coach. We are a young team that is improving every game. We have two of the fastest guards around, the best young big man in the A10, the returning A10 rookie of the year, the leading scorer in Virginia high school history who may be getting on track, and a group of coaches who are excellent teachers. Enjoy the ride.
The bigger question is why are we a "young team"? Is it a cyclical thing that most programs go through, or are there systemic issues with our program & multiple recruiting misjudgements and misses?

Just asking the question because it seems an established coach in a long term position shouldn't be in this position.

Stayed for awhile after the game. Was impressed that Jacob Gilyard came back out on the court to practice shooting. While I was there he systematically shot more than 100 shots. This team will continue to improve.
Ulla, almost every single team in the country gets better as the year goes on, unless there is some key injury or player loss. It's called practice and player development. That is what every D-1 coach does. Still baffled that is the metric that is constantly bleated out by our coaches, announcers, and other associated with the program.

Ulla, almost every single team in the country gets better as the year goes on, unless there is some key injury or player loss. It's called practice and player development. That is what every D-1 coach does. Still baffled that is the metric that is constantly bleated out by our coaches, announcers, and other associated with the program.
97, with all due respect, teams laden with upperclassmen may not improve so much. Common sense tells one that a team like ours with freshmen and sophomores in key positions is much more likely to improve and increase their cohesiveness. It's fine with me that you maintain your negative vision, but you might want to occassionally not be blinded by it.

Firstoff
Our Spiders won a game against Davidson, that save for Ulla, few on this board thought we would win. Some said that MacKillop would outcoach our coach and Aldridge would score 30 points to dominate us. Well guess what, we held our own on the boards, our defense was responsible for the tough shots Davidson was forced to take, and our coach had a better plan than Davidson's coach. We are a young team that is improving every game. We have two of the fastest guards around, the best young big man in the A10, the returning A10 rookie of the year, the leading scorer in Virginia high school history who may be getting on track, and a group of coaches who are excellent teachers. Enjoy the ride.

This "ride" you reference is what worries me. It's the ride Mooney has been taking us to the bank on for years and doesn't show any signs of leading us back to the NCAA's. I'm happy for our players that they got the win...I'm sure this start has been brutal for them...but I don't think it's unfair to question this coaching staff and the direction of the program.

For those of you that went to the game yesterday good for you, it's your prerogative and if that's how you want to spend your time and money so be it. I just don't enjoy watching our style of play. We don't rebound, our coach doesn't let us play loose and athletic, we pass the ball around the perimeter until someone chucks up a 3 late in the shot clock, and all this will continue under the current coach's "system". Not everyone who criticizes our current situation is just a "hater" and a chicken little. I would actually like to see us relevant again in basketball in a conference which frankly is not a murderers row right now. Rant over, Happy New Year everyone.

Reactions: PASpider
Dude, did you see how many wide open shots Davidson missed? Their rebounding techniques are worse than ours. Let’s not get excited at going 4-14 in conference (another Davidson win, and maybe some other wins against bad teams). All I saw from yesterday was the A-10 is bad, and Mooney still needs to go.
@ Davidson we will still be a 10 point underdog, it is predicted to be our 4th toughest. All of which we are expected to lose. We will not be a favorite in any of the other 13, but expected to go 6-7. Will 7-11 keep us out of Wednesday games in DC?

@ Davidson we will still be a 10 point underdog, it is predicted to be our 4th toughest. All of which we are expected to lose. We will not be a favorite in any of the other 13, but expected to go 6-7. Will 7-11 keep us out of Wednesday games in DC?

I agree, people here are severely underestimating Davidson. I think many people have the problem of only judging a team on one game (the game they play against us) and it tends to give a not very accurate picture of the team overall. It reminds me of when we lost to Oral Roberts last year and one of there fans came over here and claimed we didn't have any players who were better than the Oral Roberts starters. He based his opinion on that one game where we played incredibly poorly and did not get a very accurate picture of our team, which came in 3rd in the A10 (compared to last place in the Summit League).

The Massey composite has Davidson as the 5th best A10 team, and their current ranking of 126 is not that far off from where they normally are (~90th over the past 4 years).

I agree, people here are severely underestimating Davidson. I think many people have the problem of only judging a team on one game (the game they play against us) and it tends to give a not very accurate picture of the team overall. It reminds me of when we lost to Oral Roberts last year and one of there fans came over here and claimed we didn't have any players who were better than the Oral Roberts starters. He based his opinion on that one game where we played incredibly poorly and did not get a very accurate picture of our team, which came in 3rd in the A10 (compared to last place in the Summit League).

The Massey composite has Davidson as the 5th best A10 team, and their current ranking of 126 is not that far off from where they normally are (~90th over the past 4 years).
I am not saying Davidson isn’t the 5th best team in the A-10, just saying they are not a good team. Two guys played 40 minutes, so their bench problems are as bad as ours. A-10 is just weak top to bottom.

97, with all due respect, teams laden with upperclassmen may not improve so much. Common sense tells one that a team like ours with freshmen and sophomores in key positions is much more likely to improve and increase their cohesiveness. It's fine with me that you maintain your negative vision, but you might want to occassionally not be blinded by it.

We are 3-10 and haven’t been to the tournament in 6 years. Can you blame anyone for having “negative vision” about the direction of the program?

Our 2-10 record is largely on Mooney, I think most here have agreed on that much. So I want to make sure he gets some credit for last night too.

If I told you before yesterday's game we would be up 4 at half and lose by 11 we would all blame it on Mooney being outcoached by McKillop. The opposite happened so he should get some credit.

We are still a bad team that merely held serve on it's home court against an under .500 team, that fact is not lost on me.

Davidson is not as bad as people seem to think, or as good as their metrics suggest, they dropped what 17 spots yesterday?

I also think we are Davidson’s GMU.

We may start 5-0 or 4-1 but not sure that would mean we are even an average team.

Looks like we have totally given up on Paul and the grad transfer. Poor Solly is just lost out there, but as long as he doesn’t shoot 3’s I don’t think he hurts us while giving Grant a rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderGuy
Looks like we have totally given up on Paul and the grad transfer. Poor Solly is just lost out there, but as long as he doesn’t shoot 3’s I don’t think he hurts us while giving Grant a rest.

One has to wonder what is the deal with Paul going forward next year? Is he coming back or planning to? If he can't get significant PT on this seasons team I can't imagine him getting more next year expecting everyone back + Sal.

Agree Ferrum - you can't teach height, but you can teach a tall player to be in position - do I dare say it? - to rebound and as well to have put backs. PF has looked fine when he has had his few moments of PT - certainly has played as well as other bench players.

It's sad, really. We pin a lot of hopes and dreams on the Madrid-Andrews, the Friendshuhs, the Abakahs, the Stansburys.... They're victims of Mooney's system! It's a factory of sadness.

One has to wonder what is the deal with Paul going forward next year? Is he coming back or planning to? If he can't get significant PT on this seasons team I can't imagine him getting more next year expecting everyone back + Sal.
I would be surprised if we keep Paul for a fifth year, I’m reasonably certain he graduates this year and his PT would likely be better spent on a transfer or spring signee.

I don’t quite get it, he doesn’t look like a mess when he’s in the game but clearly there’s some confidence issue with the coaches.

I’d rather have Paul than a grad transfer given our limited success going that route though, so it’s either a guy with multiple years of eligibility or keep him.

Reactions: gospidersgo
In the very few times I have seen PF play, he seems aggressive, goes to the basket, hustles, and has a decent close-in shot. After watching the transfers, I don' get it. He's gone in the hamper with the likes of Connor Smith, Josh Duniker, and Kevin Hovde.

Hovde was a walk-on who ended up playing a decent role on tourney teams for us right? Not sure how his situation relates to Paul's.

Reactions: 3genspider
In the very few times I have seen PF play, he seems aggressive, goes to the basket, hustles, and has a decent close-in shot. After watching the transfers, I don' get it. He's gone in the hamper with the likes of Connor Smith, Josh Duniker, and Kevin Hovde.

Plenty of bigs here that either didn’t pan out or coach didn’t figure out how to do anything with their strengths - Steenberge (sr stats worse than jr year) Garrett, Duinker, Williams, ANO, Piotrowski, PF. Most of those guys would have been traditional post players that need to be close to the basket and we dont really do that.

TJ, Geriot and now Grant have been the ones that have had success.

Coach had the hard time coaching pivots that do not have already offense skills. I think it is a problem for foul trouble , injury because Sol is not pivot and does not know offense . Coach needs PF 3 minutes game for pivot insurance.

With the win against Davidson our chance to win the A 10 tourney and make the Big Dance doubled! This is according to teamrankings.com. We have gone from a 0.2% chance to a 0.4% chance. Still roughly a 225-1 shot but improvement nonetheless!

Reactions: Spider93
With the win against Davidson our chance to win the A 10 tourney and make the Big Dance doubled! This is according to teamrankings.com. We have gone from a 0.2% chance to a 0.4% chance. Still roughly a 225-1 shot but improvement nonetheless!
Practically a sure thing

Reactions: Eight Legger
Good to get a win for the opening of A10 play--let's see if this is an upward trend after taking many lumps in the OOC portion of the schedule. Next two games are on the road, which is always tough to come out with wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT