ADVERTISEMENT

Davidson game

gospidersgo

Team Manager
Dec 21, 2015
Any guesses on what Vegas will set the line for this game at? Davidson is pretty bad this year so far.

Second question, how many points will Aldridge score on us?

Conference season is upon us and I can safely say this is the least interested I've been in many many years.

We'll keep it close with Davidson, they are also more finesse than power team. Although they are bigger than we are, but who isn't

No way this is a flat line. Davidson probably gets the edge by 5-7 points.

Aldridge will have his way with our bigs. And if they get hot from the outside with our poor defense - this could be another Delware type game where we find ourselves down 30 at halftime,, but battle back in the 2nd half to make it a game.

Key for us will be limiting their 3 point shooting. I trust we will be able to score on them, but not sure we will be able to stop them at all.

Davidson and GW could put together an all-star team of recruits they beat us for. On Saturday we get to see Aldridge and Kellan Grady, and I think there's a third guy who I am forgetting too. Davidson by 9.

Spiders by 4; Grant, our small forwards Nick and Buck, and our lightening fast guards Jacob and Khwan, have their way with the slower Davidson players.

Reactions: MooreHall73
Aldridge scores 24 pts 8 rbs .....This game is a pick em, both teams are very bad but I will give our Spiders the edge by default (Home game).

Think this game is a toss-up. Davidson likely to win, but the Spiders have the "this is game # one of our brand new season" motivation as well as home court. Could go either way.

I'm guessing Davidson -6 opening line but after good performance against BC, possible public's faith in Spiders that the line could fall. Of course best player on court will be Aldridge but after looking at stats of frosh Grady, Davidson has best 2 players in game.

Aldridge one way or another is involved in 29.8% of team's possessions which ranks 3rd in A10 play. Everything offensively attempts to run through him. So why not try a box-and-one defense? Buck shadows him while 2 high and low.

Might appear drastic but try something out of the ordinary, especially since Spider defense has been horrific. Find out if other guys on Davidson can/will beat you? If not playing any sort of man has been fatal. If in CM's shoes would go some kind of zone the rest of the season.

Big game for Rusty Reigel.

These guys love to shoot the three, we suck at defense. Bad combo

Big game for Rusty Reigel.

These guys love to shoot the three, we suck at defense. Bad combo
Mooney likes to leave the 3 point shooters free on the wings. Our guys running out to defend as the ball leaves the shooter's hands. Great coaching...a winning philosophy. Been burned all season on that.

And yet, we will continue to employ it game in and game out, in an attempt to stop teams that don't try to score in the paint anyway from scoring in the paint. It's other-level genius, clearly.

And yet, we will continue to employ it game in and game out, in an attempt to stop teams that don't try to score in the paint anyway from scoring in the paint. It's other-level genius, clearly.
Not allowing teams to score in the paint, is this not a fundamental of Tony Bennett's UVa team currently ranked in the Top Ten? Just what I have read/heard.

Not allowing teams to score in the paint, is this not a fundamental of Tony Bennett's UVa team currently ranked in the Top Ten? Just what I have read/heard.
Well, Bennett employs a lot of principals like stopping scoring in the paint, rebounding, stopping dribble penetration, etc, etc that we do not seem to value. He is on an entirely different planet.

It absolutely is. The difference is that a) they are actually good at it, b) they can defend on the ball well enough that they don't lose track of their men, c) they are big enough that it is actually difficult for the ball-handler to kick out out to a three-point shooter and d) they are athletic enough that when the first three points fail, they can close out on an open shooter so that he is not actually open when he shoots.

Mooney likes to leave the 3 point shooters free on the wings. Our guys running out to defend as the ball leaves the shooter's hands. Great coaching...a winning philosophy. Been burned all season on that.

The crazy thing about our 3FG defense this year is that Mooney's teams are usually really, really good at 3FG defense. In 4 of the past 8 seasons we have had a top 20 3FG% defense, and in only 1 of those seasons were we in the bottom half. Last year we were 35th. This year year we are 324th. Now, it all comes back to Mooney no matter how you look at it, but Mooney's coaching and scheme have produced incredible 3FG defensive teams on a fairly regular basis so I think this falls more on Mooney's unacceptable recruiting than his coaching or scheme.

What was our rank at 3 point D two years ago? I seem to recall us being quite bad at this during the TJ / Shawndre junior year.

The crazy thing about our 3FG defense this year is that Mooney's teams are usually really, really good at 3FG defense. In 4 of the past 8 seasons we have had a top 20 3FG% defense, and in only 1 of those seasons were we in the bottom half. Last year we were 35th. This year year we are 324th.

So true and completely unanticipated poor stat for this year with a CM team. I mean two non-defenders left in SDJ and TJ. I would think put any 5 in there and the results could not be that bad.

My dear tick friend :p

I think Bennett teaches defense not just coaches it. I think is a big difference. Always switching is easy to Coach but teaching what to do when this or when that happens must teach with the stick. I think never to put players in position that the fail is more likely than stop and this is what March zone does.

I think Bennett teaches defense not just coaches it. I think is a big difference. Always switching is easy to Coach but teaching what to do when this or when that happens must teach with the stick. I think never to put players in position that the fail is more likely than stop and this is what March zone does.
"Puts players in position that fail is more likely than stop"

Never heard it put any better and 100% on the mark. The constant switching creates constant disadvantages.

What defense did Chaney at Temple use years ago? How well did it work?

Was it a form of match up zone called amoeba zone?

Lastly did it require a lot of long, lan and mobile players?

What defense did Chaney at Temple use years ago? How well did it work?

Was it a form of match up zone called amoeba zone?

Lastly did it require a lot of long, lan and mobile players?
Good idea, but it would require that Mooney learn something new. We have seen that a Princeton degree doesn’t require critical thinking or ingenuity.

To me this game I think to be winning is about Coaches and live game strategy adjusting . Today is Coach against Coach. I watch TCU and step out recover on ball screen . Timing timing timing . I think fun to see how Coach has taught since players startred here. The most important to me is defense action away from ball screen and the timing

Is this game televised? Thinking I haven’t tortured myself yet this week...

Couple hundred Davidson fans here. Pretty good crowd. Varina band helps

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT