ADVERTISEMENT

Davidson game

Buck lazy defense agsin

Fezz is a fortune teller - Mooney glues Buck to the bench in the last 3 minutes of the game.

Nice to win. Need to figure a way to get Golden touches in the paint. We do that and Nick plays like he did, may win a few more.

Reactions: Spider2020
Didn't see game but no reason he can't get 15-20 points most nights. Nick as the team's best shooter got the most 3PT attempts. Hopefully CM's scheme to get him the shots?
South J, Nick went to the basket several times tonight. Showed that he can be an all around scorer. He is a bit slow to the basket and can’t jump all that well, but he can finish and make the free throws. Buck, Fore and Grant need to work on that.

Fezz is a fortune teller - Mooney glues Buck to the bench in the last 3 minutes of the game.

Nice to win. Need to figure a way to get Golden touches in the paint. We do that and Nick plays like he did, may win a few more.

Why was Buck on bench at end of game? He is one of our better rebounders.

Had to be because of defense. There was one play where Grady was wide open and Buck didn’t close down on him or attempt to. There was a TO at 3:06 (remembered the time b/c it was odd that Buck wasn’t in the huddle) he took Buck out then for JJ and that was how the game finished.

Good things can happen when you are +4 in rebounds and make 75% of your foul shots. It helped that Davidson shot uncharacteristically poorly, but it is encouraging to see the effort but forward on defense in the second half. We were also much more aggressive on offense than in the other games I have attended. We are improving.

Did anyone else remember the Cayo drive? Think he was fouled. Just remember feeling like he showed a gear on that drive that he hadn't previously shown in a game before.
I did and thought it was more goal tending then anything, but the move showed an extra gear I had not yet seen in live play.

Reactions: SpiderK
"Puts players in position that fail is more likely than stop"

Never heard it put any better and 100% on the mark. The constant switching creates constant disadvantages.
This is true. Ben net is a packline guy. Packline fundamental is hdge all pick and rolls fight through every screen on or off ball. What we play in noway looks like a packline defense.

I'm tired of Mooney saying how hard it is to win a college basketball game and talking up every opponent. How is the team supposed to ever have confidence if the head coach continuously tells them every team they play is the best team in college basketball and it is going to be almost impossible to win?

Reactions: wr70beh and SpiderK
This is true. Ben net is a packline guy. Packline fundamental is hdge all pick and rolls fight through every screen on or off ball. What we play in noway looks like a packline defense.
Agree with this, though it feels like we are trying to implement portions of the packline but failing miserably at it. There's a video online some basketball guy did a few years ago that explains the defense Mooney tries to play and does a good job of it. It basically explains that he wants as many people between the ball and the basket/other shooters as possible, so that it's tough to drive or pass. There are fundamentals of the packline in that, but the past few years we either have been too slow, too small or just not good enough at executing this scheme as we need to be (or perhaps as we used to be). The result is that we clog the lane between the ball and the basket but we almost always leave someone wide freaking open on the perimeter. The last 10 minutes of the game today were the best I've seen us play on defense this year, because we didn't leave anyone open.

I'm tired of Mooney saying how hard it is to win a college basketball game and talking up every opponent. How is the team supposed to ever have confidence if the head coach continuously tells them every team they play is the best team in college basketball and it is going to be almost impossible to win?
Agree with this too, been saying it for awhile myself. At some point you need to develop the mindset of a winner, not of someone who is just happy to compete with "great" teams. And even if he is completely different with the team in the lockerroom, why say this other stuff publicly?

I have to say I am surprised by the result in this game. I am not going to Vegas and totally believing in this team. Chicken Little might be showing up in Fordham. Cause it's not easy winning up in New York.

I've seen comments like this on the board seemingly hundreds of times so I'm not trying to pick a fight with you specifically. But the truth probably is that none of us know what CM says directly to the team. There are things one says in public to maintain a sense of sportsmanship and class. I doubt we have any accurate idea what the players hear in private, and really doubt that the public comments have any substantive effect on the team's performance. If you don't like the public message, I understand. But don't just assume that's what the players hear when microphones are not around.

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
Agreed, he has talent, just doesn't know how to use it yet
Cayo doesn’t, or Mooney doesn’t?

Cayo is being forced into what equates to a backup 4 role. He’s better suited to play more of a 3, even a 2 based on his HS days. This positionless basketball thing is for the birds.

Must...learn...to...adjust. [sigh]

Did anyone else remember the Cayo drive? Think he was fouled. Just remember feeling like he showed a gear on that drive that he hadn't previously shown in a game before.
I remember the drive well. It was a combination of quickness coupled with a heckuva long pair of arms. I don't believe he was going to make it but he created the contact nicely. That was the best I've seen from him so far.

I did and thought it was more goal tending then anything, but the move showed an extra gear I had not yet seen in live play.
Ferrum And Spider 05 are both correct. Cayo made a nice drive to the right side of the basket and 6000 of us thought it was goaltending. Refs were poor all around tonight. We definitely had the A-10 D team tonight. Calls bad both ways.

Reactions: Spider2020
If the sky isn't falling at 2 and 10 on the heels of 6 seasons with no NCAA, when does it fall, in your view?

Look, I’m not happy with the season so far either. But we are where we are and we played better tonight and won. That’s it. It’s college basketball and we are fans but at the end of the day I have many more important things in my life to worry about. I’m going to choose to enjoy this as much as I can and move on. Some of you would be well served to do the same!

Spiders win, look pretty good doing it, good crowd, fun game. Chicken Little crew can take the night off.

Dude, did you see how many wide open shots Davidson missed? Their rebounding techniques are worse than ours. Let’s not get excited at going 4-14 in conference (another Davidson win, and maybe some other wins against bad teams). All I saw from yesterday was the A-10 is bad, and Mooney still needs to go.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Our Spiders won a game against Davidson, that save for Ulla, few on this board thought we would win. Some said that MacKillop would outcoach our coach and Aldridge would score 30 points to dominate us. Well guess what, we held our own on the boards, our defense was responsible for the tough shots Davidson was forced to take, and our coach had a better plan than Davidson's coach. We are a young team that is improving every game. We have two of the fastest guards around, the best young big man in the A10, the returning A10 rookie of the year, the leading scorer in Virginia high school history who may be getting on track, and a group of coaches who are excellent teachers. Enjoy the ride.

I do think that CM has figured out how to beat Davidson based on the last 3
games against them. Grady is a stud and may be better than Gibbs. I have criticized
Mooney for lack of adjustments at half time, but in second half we attacked the
lane more, getting us to the foul line. We are still missing easy chip shots( Grant and
Jacob missed some snowbirds late in the game).

Speaking of FTs, we made them when they counted most to stretch the lead and keep
it. Rebounding seems to be result of putting more bodies back in the lane to help
for this was very evident when we had small lineup in.

Point of worry continues where we played 4 off the bench, and we got only 3 points
from the entire group. Not a good sign if our starting five develop foul issues.

South J, Nick went to the basket several times tonight. Showed that he can be an all around scorer. He is a bit slow to the basket and can’t jump all that well, but he can finish and make the free throws. Buck, Fore and Grant need to work on that.

Glad to hear that K! Hopefully gets him easier attempts from 3PT range.

Point of worry continues where we played 4 off the bench, and we got only 3 points
from the entire group. Not a good sign if our starting five develop foul issues.

Considering Davidson is going to be one of the most Charmin teams we play this year, foul trouble is a big concern against teams who are tougher and have more big men to handle. Davidson depends on accurate shooting to win games. Aside from Grady, no one else stepped up and sank shots. Let’s not say we’ve turned the corner just yet. We still have serious flaws on this team that a win against a powder puff team won’t hide.

I see our resident kool-aid drinker thinks this is a sign of things to come. I don’t see it. We caught a bad team having a bad night. We couldn’t even catch the dreck we played in Non-conference having a bad night. It’s an anomaly, not a trend.

Why was Buck on bench at end of game? He is one of our better rebounders.

I remember him getting crushed on one play (hard fall to the floor) and we had to call time with around 3 minutes to go because the under 4 timeout hadn't happened yet. I wonder if he was still feeling the effects from that.

We beat Davidson, but we should not be prisoners of the moment good or bad. Meaning if we win one game it doesn't mean our woes are resolved and if we lose one game, it doesn't mean the sky is falling. We have to look at the bigger picture which is that we are 3-10 this season and have been mediocre the past six seasons with no NCAA bids or even A10 final appearances. I don't want Mooney to end the season on a small win streak and win 1-2 games in the A10 tournament game and everyone feels like we are improving. What I want is the AD, coach, whoever, to clearly outline the goals of what constitutes success and we see at the end of the year if that is achieved or not. That way we can hold Mooney accountable for his performance over a period of time and not each individual game.

--

Positives were Grant is definietly a stud and it was great seeing Nick play more aggressively. It's hard to think of anymore positives because we are basically playing for A10 tournament seeding at this point.

Reactions: Eight Legger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT