ADVERTISEMENT

All In for 2015-2016

One thing I remember hearing at some point this year was that it's harder for us to get games against good teams because no one wants to spend the time preparing for our defense when they might not see anyone else all year who plays it.

I guess there's probably some truth to that, but I can't believe that THAT many good teams would deny us even in their own gyms. We need to schedule at least 5-7 games against teams that we expect to be top-75 opponents next year. I don't care if it's just a one-time deal on the road or what. Just do it. Call every freaking team in the top 6 leagues until some of them say yes.

Great thing about our schedule is that we have 6 built in Top 100 (or Top 50) games with RPI, GW and Davidson Home and Homes. We will have 4-5 more with the rest of our A10 schedule. ODU and Wake figure to be Top 100 teams moving forward with good coaches. UNI will be Top 100.

We've basically got 13 or 14 Top 100 games for next year right now. Just need to find about 2 more ... and then win more than our fair share of those games. And keep from having a horrible loss or 2.

We were a little fortunate with this year's schedule but we ended up with a SOS of 46. Probably just about perfect for us.

Provided that Julius Johnson doesn't redshirt, next year we will have 13 eligible, scholarship players. When was the last time we had that?

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
One thing I remember hearing at some point this year was that it's harder for us to get games against good teams because no one wants to spend the time preparing for our defense when they might not see anyone else all year who plays it.

I guess there's probably some truth to that, but I can't believe that THAT many good teams would deny us even in their own gyms. We need to schedule at least 5-7 games against teams that we expect to be top-75 opponents next year. I don't care if it's just a one-time deal on the road or what. Just do it. Call every freaking team in the top 6 leagues until some of them say yes.
Well no one faces VCU's press but they seem to do a pretty good job at scheduling good teams. I think Shaka is a big reason for that. I think our defense is used more often than a hacking/mugging defense.

B, I have no idea how ready Julius is. What I do know without a shadow of doubt is that this board has a tendency to overstate the readiness of incoming freshmen.

Julius needs to fight past Trey, Josh, Kadeem and Khwan for backcourt minutes. I have no inside information but I just don't see this happening.

Regarding RPI's schedule, they got the Oregon and Villanova games in Brooklyn because their fans travel to Brooklyn.

Take those games ... and our mess of a Gotham Classic ... out and our OOC schedule looks surprisingly similar.

Hate to keep beating this drum, but our fans share some responsibility for this too.

the best thing here is that 65 took in both mama mia and wicked, two of my favs, great job buddy.

I see a great opportunity for some of the young guys to step up an play a lot of minutes. We still have the problem of 3 scoring black holes that points cannot escape from. Only SDJ, TJ and TA should be secure in their starting position next year.

This post was edited on 3/15 10:23 AM by SpiderK

Originally posted by SpiderK:
I see a great opportunity for some of the young guys to step up an play a lot of minutes. We still have the problem of 3 scoring black holes that points cannot escape from. Only SDJ, TJ and TA should be secure in their starting position next year.

This post was edited on 3/15 10:23 AM by SpiderK
Totally agree with your 3 picks.

I'd have to believe that NO should be starting alongside TJ. I just can't see DT starting ahead of NO & bringing NO off the bench.My gut tells me TD will be the 5th starter. Guess we'll see how this plays out.

I can assure you that Trey will start, whether the majority of the fanbase likes it or not.

Mo I am positive he will too. I will volunteer to teach him to shoot free throws.

This is the final try for this core to make it to the NCAAs. Most pressure CM has seen to date. I see SDJ best suited as playing only the point. K0 was a BEAST but not the PG prototype. SDJ will excel at getting the scorers the ball better but hopefully he's not limited to having only 2 players who can possibly score to start the game.

I want SDJ to be our point guard, but not if Trey is our 2-guard. I'd rather leave SDJ at the 2 and see what Fore can do at the point instead in that case.

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
I want SDJ to be our point guard, but not if Trey is our 2-guard. I'd rather leave SDJ at the 2 and see what Fore can do at the point instead in that case.
I don't mind having Trey as our two, if we have TA, TJ, and ANO (who is a decent enough offensive option, in my opinion). It's a big issue when TD and DT are on the floor simultaneously.

Also, while Davis had that huge TO yesterday, unfortunately, his steal and dunk was pretty awesome.

SDJ, Trey, Terry, TJ and Alonzo is a great starting lineup. Good match of scoring and Defense.

Agree with Moliva that this should be the starting lineup next season.

This post was edited on 3/16 8:58 AM by Not-A-Homer

MO, Yep that's what it will be. Interesting to see how Woods and the other big kid is worked in. DT should spell ANO.

Agreed on the starting line up and also agree on DT and td not being on the court together. Hoping Marshall wood can play defense and can take most of Deion's minutes

Marshall and Deion are a great pairing to come off the bench together. One can score and the other can play defense.

Sort of like the ANO / TJ pairing.

I'm really interested to see the pecking order at guard. I think Khwan is the big sleeper to log alot of minutes.

I agree with the presumptive lineup. I'm not one to bet on a new player, mooney doesn't start freshmen, but Johnson could surprise at 2. It's baffling that we would go another year without a true shooter at SG, only he and JJ seem to fit that bill, at least in the traditional sense.

DT will probably start, mainly because the coach has done that most of this year already.

I'm completely ignorant on this, can someone tell me anything about Wood's game?

Originally posted by ur2K:
DT will probably start, mainly because the coach has done that most of this year already.

I'm completely ignorant on this, can someone tell me anything about Wood's game?
http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209535863

Wood is a good offensive player and can score from range. He needs to continue to get more physical or his minutes will be limited due to defensive liability.

Originally posted by 97spiderfan:
Jj is a shooter. Ha that's funny.
I know,,I know. Just saying that I thinkmhis what he's supposed to be.

reinforces my point that I can't believe we don't have a legit shooting guard on the roster.

Lack of a shooting guard is our most glaring weakness. Odd because we have a bevy of skilled big men which are
Much tougher to find than shooting guards

Originally posted by SpiderGuy:
Originally posted by ur2K:

http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209535863
That link doesn't say much outside of Mooney saying he is a versatile player, which is like Mooney saying the sky is blue.

The stats only show that he didn't have much of an impact on a bad team in a good conference who then fired their coach. I'm not judging him one way or the other, just don't know anything about his game. Where does he compare to our stable of other forwards? Is he a shooter, can he play in the paint, good defender?

In his two seasons at Virginia Tech, Marshall appeared in 51 games for the Hokies, averaging 3.8 points and 3.6 rebounds a game as one of the first players off the bench. Last year, Wood appeared in 26 games, earning 11 starts for Tech, pouring in 4.0 points a contest while pulling down 3.5 rebounds.

Originally posted by 97spiderfan:
Lack of a shooting guard is our most glaring weakness. Odd because we have a bevy of skilled big men which are
Much tougher to find than shooting guards
Agree 97. Hoping Khwan does well so that SDJ can play more 2/ stay on floor more to shoot and penetrate. He made good strides towards the end of the year

I don't have the same faith that some of you do in Wood. I hope Mooney sees something in his game that his stats don't show. I think one of our redshirts gets more minutes than Wood by the end of next season. I hope I am wrong and Wood is a reliable offensive threat.

Imo. Wood will play sort of role TJ played this year DT and Trey will start but will be spelled quickly around 18 minute mark...Fore will have to fight with Smitten but both have to become more offensive minded. Although we all called for the freshman to get time we saw they are not scorers or shooters yet. JJ needs to step into a scoring role Julius has a chance to play if ready..the core will be sdj td dt tj and ano with mw ks others have to fight for ranks.

Who or whom replace Kendall's 16ppg? Only time will tell if he is a bigger loss than expected and that this years team was a better shot at a bid than next years group.

Stats aside, Wood looks like a basketball player on the court. Two years ago watched the Hokies take on the Hoos in person and while they were getting killed, Wood was the only one on the floor that looked like he could play basketball. He was the only one who looked athletic enough to play in the ACC. The Hokies have been a train wreck of late, a fresh start ought to do wonders. I see him getting some serious playing time next year.

Originally posted by Ferrum Spider:
Stats aside, Wood looks like a basketball player on the court. Two years ago watched the Hokies take on the Hoos in person and while they were getting killed, Wood was the only one on the floor that looked like he could play basketball. He was the only one who looked athletic enough to play in the ACC. The Hokies have been a train wreck of late, a fresh start ought to do wonders. I see him getting some serious playing time next year.
I posted the original link on Wood since someone asked about him. I left it up to others to come to their own conclusions about his offensive possibilities. I later checked the Tech site & saw that he averaged about 16 minutes & averaged slightly less than 4 points a game. Someone else posted an ESPN link.

Bottom line - Nobody knows how mamy minutes he'll get next year & what his offensive productivity will be. We only have 1) his history of 2 years at Tech with his numbers as a beginning point of discussion and 2) speculation as to how much time he may or may not get & who he takes minutes from.

Re 1) - His numbers didn't scream major offensive player

Re 2) - Based upon our returning lineup & CM's patterns over the years & also with the current roster, I'd be shocked if he gets more than the 16 minutes per game - maybe not even 16. But this is all projection & opinion and subject to change, as he could be a world beater.

One of his seasons at Tech I think he missed a number of games because of a foot injury. Plus, he was in a terrible situation with no talent around him and a bad coach. I think it is important to take that into consideration when looking at his stats from Tech.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT