ADVERTISEMENT

All In for 2015-2016

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
Yes, there's still some hoops to be played and it will be great to say thanks to Kendall at least 1 more time, but our chance to win A10 and National Championships died around 5pm yesterday.

We made some good progress this year with 2 wins over RPI, a top 4 finish and an NIT berth but I have absolutely had it with no trips to the NCAA tourney. 2015-2016 is put up or shut up time for this program and it's supporters. Go to the NCAA next year or let the thing burn.

To that end, I plan to do everything in my power to help these guys to the finish line. More road trips, more tickets purchased to the home RPI game, even more supportive yelling of our team from the stands. We have road games at WM, RPI, Goo Moo, FW, Davidson, Wake. I plan to make at least 4 of those 6.

What are you going to do to help?

All in. Put up or shut up. Whatever other rhetoric fits here.

Let's go.

This post was edited on 3/14 11:10 AM by MolivaManiac

Mo, the Ulla is retiring; selling the homestead in Ellicott City, MD and purchasing a house within walking distance of the UR campus. I expect to attend nearly all games home and away, and scream my d@#$ lungs out. So, let's all of us go all out in support of our team! Roll Spide!
smile.r191677.gif

Agreed, although I haven't seen us win at Wake or GooMoo in a while and W&M is almost always a win, its fun to go. We lost at both ODU and JMU this year but they are still good trips.

"All in" should also include to show up to support the Spiders at the A-10 tournament in 2016. Pitiful 100 of us showed up this year, compared to Davidson (at least 500), VCU (? 2000), and Dayton (over 500). We should have at least 500 there and don't give me the excuse "we are such a small school bit". Davidson is much smaller than we.
Lots to do here; we have seen Mamma Mia and Wicked, for examples.

Hope to see you in NYC in 2016. And, wear your red!

Yes 65 - the cameraman liked you and Mrs. 65 as the camera was focused on you two for I'm guessing here at least 20 to 30 seconds.

I have two goals for next year:

• Make the NCAAs
• Do something that VCU did not do (eliminate them from the A-10 tourney, advance farther in the A-10 tourney, advance farther in the NCAAs)

I hate like hell that we swept their @sses this year, then blew the game yesterday and they still have something to hang over our heads. I'm sick of it. In retrospect, I would have rather lost the home game and won yesterday.

If this season did not teach everyone associated with the program that we cannot afford to F around early in the season against scrub teams like JMU and Northeastern and Wake, then nothing ever will. Had we played all year the way we played for three weeks recently, we'd be talking about who our opponent would be in a 7-10 game next week instead of waiting for a 3-seed in the NIT.

Originally posted by Ulla1:
Mo, the Ulla is retiring; selling the homestead in Ellicott City, MD and purchasing a house within walking distance of the UR campus. I expect to attend nearly all games home and away, and scream my d@#$ lungs out. So, let's all of us go all out in support of our team! Roll Spide!
smile.r191677.gif
Jeez, you sure you want to live that close to VCU? I was sure the distance from Ellicott City was as close as you dared live to VCU! Actually moving into Richmond.... Scary!

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
I have two goals for next year:

• Make the NCAAs
• Do something that VCU did not do (eliminate them from the A-10 tourney, advance farther in the A-10 tourney, advance farther in the NCAAs)

I hate like hell that we swept their @sses this year, then blew the game yesterday and they still have something to hang over our heads. I'm sick of it. In retrospect, I would have rather lost the home game and won yesterday.

If this season did not teach everyone associated with the program that we cannot afford to F around early in the season against scrub teams like JMU and Northeastern and Wake, then nothing ever will. Had we played all year the way we played for three weeks recently, we'd be talking about who our opponent would be in a 7-10 game next week instead of waiting for a 3-seed in the NIT.
I'm with you, 8L.

If things work out, I hope to be living back in the US, which will likely help me be able to support the team more directly. That's a start.

Would be nice to go play them over there, but the key for us is just scheduling strong teams on the road and beatable good teams at neutral sites -- and NOT scheduling so many dog teams, especially at home.

I bet we'd have a shot at an at-large right now if instead of playing that stupid tournament this year we'd just played 3 more home games against teams in the 100-125 range (and won them all) and a road game against a top-80 team (even if we lost it). Instead we certainly took a hit by playing Howard, South Alabama and IUPUI, all of whom were 260 or worse RPI teams.

The UNI home game will be a help.

Can we get into a tourney like the Charleston Classic or Diamondhead where we'd be assured of 3 good games? These deals where we have to play 3 scrubs to get to play a good team ( or Pepperdine) are a real drag.

Are we getting a return game from UNI? Or was that a one off since it got added so late?

We do get them here next year. I remember hearing Mooney mention that during a radio show at some point.

Assuming nothing changes in the A-10, our schedule next year would be pretty favorable, with 3 of our 4 non-home-and-home road games against bad teams, plus Dayton, LaSalle, UMass and St. Joe's at home.

Road games
St Louis
Fordham
Rhode Island
Duquesne
VCU
GW
Davidson
Bonaventure
Mason

Home games
VCU
GW
Davidson
Mason
Bonaventure
Dayton
LaSalle
St. Joe's
UMass

OOC Games:

UNI
ODU
JMU (Assume this continues)
@WM
@Wake

I'd love to see us resumes a series with schools like Iona, Manhattan, Bucknell, MAC school like Ohio, etc.

Add UNI, ODU, JMU to that home A10 slate and it should be a highly attractive for selling tickets.

Originally posted by MolivaManiac:
Yes, there's still some hoops to be played and it will be great to say thanks to Kendall at least 1 more time, but our chance to win A10 and National Championships died around 5pm yesterday.

We made some good progress this year with 2 wins over RPI, a top 4 finish and an NIT berth but I have absolutely had it with no trips to the NCAA tourney. 2015-2016 is put up or shut up time for this program and it's supporters. Go to the NCAA next year or let the thing burn.

To that end, I plan to do everything in my power to help these guys to the finish line. More road trips, more tickets purchased to the home RPI game, even more supportive yelling of our team from the stands. We have road games at WM, RPI, Goo Moo, FW, Davidson, Wake. I plan to make at least 4 of those 6.

What are you going to do to help?

All in. Put up or shut up. Whatever other rhetoric fits here.

Let's go.

This post was edited on 3/14 11:10 AM by MolivaManiac
As good as the football team has been under Rocco, I'm more of a basketball supporter first. I'm willing to forgo some football dates in order to support the boys in the Robins Center. I'd love to get up to Brooklyn and see the tournament, and buy a couple of extra tickets to the VCU game to keep fat boy and his minions (mainly his minions) out of the RC.

There are only 5 home football games and we have a young team. Spider fans should have some extra time and dollars for hoops next Winter.

We all need to make another concerted effort next year to buy all the at large tickets to VDU game to keep the trash out.

Originally posted by MolivaManiac:
There are only 5 home football games and we have a young team. Spider fans should have some extra time and dollars for hoops next Winter.
+1. Basketball will be the big sport next year

Frankly, I hope we kill the JMU series. What is the point, again? We lose or almost lose every time we play them there, even when they are awful, and beating them here does nothing for our resume. Maybe 1,000 JMU fans come to the RC to watch the game, but who cares. At most we should play them and W&M a total of once a year, not twice.

Fill the other slot with one of the teams Mo mentioned or a bottom-feeder in a bigger league.

Did the Alumni Association sponsor a bus to get some students up here?
If not; you need to work on that for next year

I agree we need to do better, particularly on road games that are within driving distance. While there are a lot of communications to alumnae about home games, don't know if any go out about road games to alumnae in those away zips. It's almost as if we need representatives within various regions (NC/ResearchTriangle, Western VA/Shenandoah, Tidewater, NOVA/DC, Philly, etc) to "elevate" the marketing to alumnae in that area in a more personal way. A personal contact is much more effective than just an email from the Richmond Ticket Office. Adding on to that, even something like a robo call campaign with CM and better yet, some of the players asking for their support and to come out to any game would get some attention.

Plus, we need to use the Spider Club Facebook page to help engage our members. Sad that there are only 207 likes on that site and most of the content is just retweets. But overall, it would be nice to have Spider Club members get together even in offseason and come up with some marketing experiments and set some goals to improve things before next fall. I'll admit that I really don't know who a lot of our members are, and only got 1 invite this year for the SC suite and that was for a women's game when I was out of town. There are a lot of ways I think we can improve the engagement and interaction, which would then lead to people wanting to be "all in" and "join the party". But we have to raise voices and do our part. It may start with small steps but most everything good usually does.

Anyone else got some ideas??? Would love to hear them.

This post was edited on 3/14 5:04 PM by MidloTrader

Originally posted by EPJr:

Have asked about buses before and got told that Spider Club doesn't do that. Doubt Alumnae Assoc would either. Since students were all on spring break, probably a moot point this year. But when we have games like FCS playoffs late last year in Myrtle Beach or close by basketball road games, would certainly make it easier for people to go to events. But managing these travel logistics isn't easy, so understand their reluctance to set the precedent.

Originally posted by MidloTrader:

Originally posted by EPJr:

Have asked about buses before and got told that Spider Club doesn't do that. Doubt Alumnae Assoc would either. Since students were all on spring break, probably a moot point this year. But when we have games like FCS playoffs late last year in Myrtle Beach or close by basketball road games, would certainly make it easier for people to go to events. But managing these travel logistics isn't easy, so understand their reluctance to set the precedent.
It shouldn't be that difficult. Renting a bus and two drivers for a two-day trip probably runs about $1500 or so, give or take. Get a corporate sponsor to kick in some cash and put up their ads in the bus, and you cover some of that cost. Reserve a block of rooms at a hotel and either let the riders pay for their own, or package a room and a bus ticket together and sell them for one price.

8Legger, I agree that it's just a case of getting enough people to fill the seats or cancel it. That was why I asked Spider Club about if for the FB game in MB, since it could be a day trip. Don't know the stats for Spider Club or season ticket holders, but not everyone is part of a family or has a +1 so would be a lot easier and more fun for them and also students to go with a big group.

I am going to admit I am the biggest offender about not attending away games. The last game I missed at the Robins Center was the one before the Maryland NIT game in 1982. I never missed a Tarrant coached team play at the Richmond Coliseum. But...

I have never been to the Costco Center. I have been to 3 road games outside of Richmond total. At W&M in 1985 while in college, and at the Smith Center twice when I was already spending the weekend in DC.

I will start by purchasing season tix instead of mooching off friends so I can inflate attendance when I can't make it. Legger and Moliva, I miss our trips to cville and Winston Salem. I'm ready to mix and match car seats to earn some "road wins."

Agree with Eight, the JMU series needs to go. if we want to build a resume need to dispense with these historical rivalries with programs in the case. We play vcu and mason twice a year, they are our rivals. Odu has a good program. JMU and w&m are just bad programs and we give them the chance to get up for a game against us. Kill them both.

Can live with one CAA game and fine if it's W&M, since it's a close trip for the team and all of us when we go there. And they're playing better these last few years. Look for match ups with other conferences like MVC, BE, AAC. ODU is Conf USA so that's another one anyway. And definitely need some top 50 OOC games, even if we have to go there. See if we can get some 2away + 1home deals, if necessary. And why not take a West Coast trip like to Gonzaga and another game out that way? Can't imagine it's easy to get teams to come all the way to NW unless they're already out that way. Just would like our coaches to think "out of the box".

I love looking down my nose at JMU as much as the next guy but there is a home for teams around 200 rpi on our schedule. Particularly ones that will sell 500 tickets at the RC.

We cant play Top 100 teams every game. And we don't want to either.

Just avoid the +250 RPI games when possible. JMU ain't that bad.

This post was edited on 3/14 9:39 PM by MolivaManiac

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT