WOMEN'S TENNIS TOP 10 RECRUITING CLASS

iSpider

Graduate Assistant
Dec 31, 2007
Spiders’ Recruiting Class Ranked In Top-10 Nationally
Courtesy: Richmond Athletics
Release: 06/03/2016

Print RSS
UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. – The future is very bright for the University of Richmond women’s tennis program.

Just how bright was recognized nationally as TennisRecruiting.net ranked the Spiders’ incoming class as the ninth-best mid-major class in the country. It’s the highest-rated class in program history.

“I’m really excited about the group we have coming in and the immediate impact they are going to have on our program,” Head Coach Mark Wesselink said. “Not only are each one of them extremely talented on the court, but they are outstanding people who will be tremendous ambassadors for our university.”

Joining the Spiders in 2016-17 will be Lea Owens (Owens, Md.), Dessislava Zlateva (Sofia, Bulgaria), Kiana Marshall (Bridgetown, Barbados) and Lyndell Giffenig (Salisbury, Conn.).

Owens ranks in the top-80 nationally and just this past year collected nine wins over top-60 opponents. She’s a four-star recruit who won over 75 matches during her high school career, including 30 wins over four-star recruits like herself.

“Lea brings some impressive credentials and wins,” Wesselink said of Owens. “But more importantly she brings a work ethic and drive to succeed that all the coaches are looking for. Everyone out there recruiting is trying to guess which players are on the ascent. It is often very hard to tell but not in Lea's case. I watched her play Mid-Atlantic and National tournaments with the same focused intensity and will to win in every match. Her best tennis is ahead of her.”

Zlateva had a prestigious junior career in Bulgaria, climbing into the top-150 junior rankings by the International Tennis Federation. She won four ITF singles tournaments and two doubles tournaments. She won a bronze medal at the 2011 European U14 Championships. She’s ranked as the top player in Bulgaria at her age and has twice been invited to join the ITF Bulgarian team.

“Dessy has tremendous experience at a high level internationally, which is invaluable to the transition to the collegiate game,” Wesselink said.

Marshall comes to Richmond after an outstanding junior career in Barbados, where she won two ITF junior events in doubles and was a singles finalist in one ITF event. She was the 2015 Commonwealth Youth Games Doubles Champion and has represented Barbados annually in the Fed Cup.

“Kianna really impressed me when I saw her play at a showcase in Florida,” Wesselink said. “She’s really smooth and powerful and she can almost beat people without them even noticing. I’m excited to see her gain experience and become a force to be reckoned with.”

Giffenig is one of the best players in the New England area, ranking in the top-30 in the area since she was 12 years old. She has two New England titles to her name and reached two semifinals and one doubles final in ITA tournaments this past summer. She was a two-year captain at Hotchkiss High School and played at the top singles spot for both of those seasons.

“Lyndell may be the strongest doubles player we have coming in,” Wesselink said. “She played with her sister last summer and dominated some of the ITA Summer Circuit Tournaments. She hits a big ball and plays early strike power tennis.”

“With the addition of this group of newcomers, combined with our very strong group of returners, I feel good about us being back in the hunt for the conference championship in 2017,” Wesselink added.

I saw that headline and said "WHOA", then I saw it's a mid-major ranking. Still, a very nice class it looks like.

Here are our mid-major rankings from that site from the past few years:

2016: 9
2015: 13
2014: NR
2013: NR
2012: 25
2011: 12
2010: NR
2009: 14
2008: 10

I had the same reaction as SFSpidur until I saw mid-major, but take nothing away from the coaching staff and the girls we are bringing in! They seem very talent and will contribute greatly to the program. Hopefully this can be seen as a turning point to get Women's tennis on the map! Good job!

Last edited:
It's pretty typical for us to get a 4-star each year. In fact, Bella Kuse was a 5-star in this past class. (Interestingly, she played in the fall season this year but is no longer on the roster.)

What we really benefitted from this year is depth of the recruiting class. That site doesn't give international players star ratings, but they are still evaluated and contribute to recruiting rankings and our two international players look to be very good as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT